• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Tittle-Tattle

I think our hopes of signing Martial died when he signed a new deal at Man Utd. Him doing that means Man Utd hold all the cards now.

While Son does a very good job deputising for Kane I think it would make sense for us to ensure we do have a third option in the squad who is able to play with his back to goal. That may be as simple as just retaining either Llorente or Janssen (I would actually probably prefer the latter due to his age).

A year ago I would’ve been pleased if we had signed Zaha but I don’t think he is a player we should be pursuing now. I don’t dispute that he is a good player and would add something to our squad that we do not really currently have, but I think the combination of his age and likely transfer fee mean that he doesn’t represent good value for us, with there being far greater needs in the squad that the £50+ million of funds could be put towards. I also think that Son has stepped up his game even further this year to become a better first choice option than Zaha anyway.

Assuming Eriksen and Alderweireld can be secured on new contracts then I think all our first team squad needs for next season is 3 players:

A new right back: Max Aarons would be my top target here.

A new left back: Ryan Sessegnon would be my top target here (I think he would only offer cover in the first year but could be converted to a first choice left back for next season and that is fine with Rose’s returning form now that he seems to be fully recovered.

A new central midfielder: Youri Tielemanns please. I have been banging on about him for a few years, since I saw him looking composed in the centre of Anderlecht’s midfield at only 17 years old. I think the reported £40 million fee is great value and he is a player with massive upside.

I reckon the above 3 players would cost about £100 million between them in transfer fees. I would be prepared to sacrifice both Trippier and Lamela from our first team squad in order to help with this, which I think would fund about half of that £100 million. Trippier because he doesn’t have the pace or the confidence/bravery to attempt to beat a player, both of which I think are are needed from our wide players in Poch’s system. Lamela because there is no point in having a player who is only ever available for half of the season.

If Eriksen does not sign a new contract then I agree that Haivertz is the player we should go all out to get to replace him (and if he really could be secured for around £40 million then I would love to see us push the boat out to get him anyway).

If Toby is sold then I think we still need to add another centre half. Unfortunately I don’t think we will be able to afford De Ligt (who will probably be every top club in Europe’s number 1 defensive target). However there seem to have been numerous links to Sampdoria’s Danish centre half Joachim Andersen, who would probably cost only £7 million or so more than the release fee for Alderweireld and he could prove a smart buy for Spurs.
Sessegnon plays further forward for Fulham these days- more of a wide midfielder than LB. Re: Tielemanns why were we not in for him before he signed for Leicester? Surely there will be a clause that they get first refusal on a permanent deal? Agree about De Ligt, as I have mentioned several times wouldn't mind going in for Tarkowski from Burnley.

Sessegnon plays further forward for Fulham these days- more of a wide midfielder than LB. Re: Tielemanns why were we not in for him before he signed for Leicester? Surely there will be a clause that they get first refusal on a permanent deal? Agree about De Ligt, as I have mentioned several times wouldn't mind going in for Tarkowski from Burnley.
Seen and heard several places that they don't have a clause to buy him. Could be available and a very exciting player imo.

First refusal means jack, player can still chose. no option to buy either.

Does anyone else think that Sessegnon could develop into a Moussa Sissoko with goal threat??

I've been watching him and he reads the space in front of him well, but I think he's not going to be a wing forward. Midfield however would allow him to get forward frequently into the spaces our forward players love to create and he's not scared of putting in a tackle so could do that side of the game too.

I think our hopes of signing Martial died when he signed a new deal at Man Utd. Him doing that means Man Utd hold all the cards now.

While Son does a very good job deputising for Kane I think it would make sense for us to ensure we do have a third option in the squad who is able to play with his back to goal. That may be as simple as just retaining either Llorente or Janssen (I would actually probably prefer the latter due to his age).

A year ago I would’ve been pleased if we had signed Zaha but I don’t think he is a player we should be pursuing now. I don’t dispute that he is a good player and would add something to our squad that we do not really currently have, but I think the combination of his age and likely transfer fee mean that he doesn’t represent good value for us, with there being far greater needs in the squad that the £50+ million of funds could be put towards. I also think that Son has stepped up his game even further this year to become a better first choice option than Zaha anyway.

Assuming Eriksen and Alderweireld can be secured on new contracts then I think all our first team squad needs for next season is 3 players:

A new right back: Max Aarons would be my top target here.

A new left back: Ryan Sessegnon would be my top target here (I think he would only offer cover in the first year but could be converted to a first choice left back for next season and that is fine with Rose’s returning form now that he seems to be fully recovered.

A new central midfielder: Youri Tielemanns please. I have been banging on about him for a few years, since I saw him looking composed in the centre of Anderlecht’s midfield at only 17 years old. I think the reported £40 million fee is great value and he is a player with massive upside.

I reckon the above 3 players would cost about £100 million between them in transfer fees. I would be prepared to sacrifice both Trippier and Lamela from our first team squad in order to help with this, which I think would fund about half of that £100 million. Trippier because he doesn’t have the pace or the confidence/bravery to attempt to beat a player, both of which I think are are needed from our wide players in Poch’s system. Lamela because there is no point in having a player who is only ever available for half of the season.

If Eriksen does not sign a new contract then I agree that Haivertz is the player we should go all out to get to replace him (and if he really could be secured for around £40 million then I would love to see us push the boat out to get him anyway).

If Toby is sold then I think we still need to add another centre half. Unfortunately I don’t think we will be able to afford De Ligt (who will probably be every top club in Europe’s number 1 defensive target). However there seem to have been numerous links to Sampdoria’s Danish centre half Joachim Andersen, who would probably cost only £7 million or so more than the release fee for Alderweireld and he could prove a smart buy for Spurs.

That would all leave us very short in attacking positions - just 6 players for 4 positions, including one quite subpar player in Llorente or Janssen. IMO we should be keeping Lamela just for numbers AND buying another quality attacking player. (Plus a RB and CM as you said. Less bothered about a LB as a priority this season though given we already have Rose and Davies).

I was half watching Real Madrid tonight. Bale was just OK but you can see he's just going through the motions. I'd take him back on loan no problem.

He gets booed/whistled at constantly by the fans, is open often and doesn't get passed to and will either not start or get subbed early. He's been stubborn about wanting to stay (he should have left last season) but its obviously not a good place for him now.

Nobody is going to buy him (like Sanchez at United), 30, injury prone, they will want a decent transfer fee and his wages are insane. Madrid's only hope is to loan him out, still subsidize his wages and hope he has an amazing season somewhere that revives some of his value.

I'd take him on a subsidized loan in a heartbeat.

I was half watching Real Madrid tonight. Bale was just OK but you can see he's just going through the motions. I'd take him back on loan no problem.

Even before you get on to whether he would be right for us (which, I think, is open to debate), why would Real want to loan him out? He turns 30 this summer so value will decrease rapidly from here. Only reason for them loaning him would be if they couldnt sell him however I'd be amazed if there wasn't a few clubs in for him...and if wages would be a problem for teams signing him, then they'd also be a problem for us loaning him

He gets booed/whistled at constantly by the fans, is open often and doesn't get passed to and will either not start or get subbed early. He's been stubborn about wanting to stay (he should have left last season) but its obviously not a good place for him now.

Nobody is going to buy him (like Sanchez at United), 30, injury prone, they will want a decent transfer fee and his wages are insane. Madrid's only hope is to loan him out, still subsidize his wages and hope he has an amazing season somewhere that revives some of his value.

I'd take him on a subsidized loan in a heartbeat.

So wages would prevent him being sold, but not prevent him being loaned out?

I could see Chelsea coming in for him, probably Man U, PSG, the odd Italian club cannot be ruled out, maybe even Bayern,...they'll fund a buyer for him

So wages would prevent him being sold, but not prevent him being loaned out?

I could see Chelsea coming in for him, probably Man U, PSG, the odd Italian club cannot be ruled out, maybe even Bayern,...they'll fund a buyer for him

Combination of probably 70M+ transfer fee +wages would kill any hope of him being sold (yes, people pay 400K wages, but on free transfers or for CR or Messi). In a loan Madrid will still be paying the majority of his wages but at least could get some back.

Manu is not going to buy him (especially after the Sanchez experience), PSG don't need him and Chelsea if they can buy anyone is going to have to stock up for 2 years worth of players due to impending ban.

If there was an obvious buyer he would be gone already, his only way out is some combination of running down his contract (makes him older) and taking a huge pay cut.

Combination of probably 70M+ transfer fee +wages would kill any hope of him being sold (yes, people pay 400K wages, but on free transfers or for CR or Messi). In a loan Madrid will still be paying the majority of his wages but at least could get some back.

Manu is not going to buy him (especially after the Sanchez experience), PSG don't need him and Chelsea if they can buy anyone is going to have to stock up for 2 years worth of players due to impending ban.

If there was an obvious buyer he would be gone already, his only way out is some combination of running down his contract (makes him older) and taking a huge pay cut.

Lets see what happens. It doesnt feel like he'll be there next year - my bet is that they find a buyer. I'm also not convinced that he's right for us either - our team isnt a bunch of kids any more so not sure that his experience counts as much as it would have done 2-3 years ago. I'd rather we sign players in the sub 23 year old range like KWB, Sessegnon etc

In a world where our options are a 27 year old Zaha or a 30 year old Bale what would your choice be?

For me the physiological impact on the opposition of having Bale come off the bench at the 70 minute mark makes it a no brainer

Even before you get on to whether he would be right for us (which, I think, is open to debate), why would Real want to loan him out? He turns 30 this summer so value will decrease rapidly from here. Only reason for them loaning him would be if they couldnt sell him however I'd be amazed if there wasn't a few clubs in for him...and if wages would be a problem for teams signing him, then they'd also be a problem for us loaning him
I've seen it reported that RM are looking to loan him out. Might not be true of course.

I do think the arrangement would suit us for various reasons.

Last edited:
In a world where our options are a 27 year old Zaha or a 30 year old Bale what would your choice be?

For me the physiological impact on the opposition of having Bale come off the bench at the 70 minute mark makes it a no brainer
there is no world where Bale leaves RM to sit on the bench, he will be looking for "guaranteed" playing time. If he could stay fit for a period of time its a no brainer but he has not managed it for years now so for me Zaha > Bale.

And the good feeling it would bring from and too both us and Bale.
I suspect he would also be happy with rotation, add would a couple of our other players. Giving them just that extra little bit of rest across the season to allow them to play at their full potential and win things.

there is no world where Bale leaves RM to sit on the bench, he will be looking for "guaranteed" playing time. If he could stay fit for a period of time its a no brainer but he has not managed it for years now so for me Zaha > Bale.
I think being part of something and a family is more important to him.
At Man U he would be the talisman and leader. You can see why that's appealing. However you wonder how their fans react with his injuries.

At us, he is loved and managed around the injuries

I do wonder if Liverpool might be interested too. Especially if Real come in for Mane.

I think being part of something and a family is more important to him.
At Man U he would be the talisman and leader. You can see why that's appealing. However you wonder how their fans react with his injuries.

At us, he is loved and managed around the injuries

I do wonder if Liverpool might be interested too. Especially if Real come in for Mane.
Listening to him and his agent he wants to stay in Madrid (seems genuine to me) - unfortunately for him they are desperate to get rid.

The main thing that has stopped him being a success over there is injuries, this has also helped turn the fans against him. An injury free Bale is still one of the top players in the world and he would have his choice of clubs, as it is he is a massive gamble.

Back