• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Thread

I'm not sure we are even looking that intently.
We already have Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur. So it's a 4th rotation option better than Skipp, ideally homegrown and prepared to accept they'll be 4th choice until someone's form drops or they displace someone.
We haven't seen a time when all three of those are available for a prolonged period yet - so the first question is, which are the "first choice". And then what combinations work best and what strengths/weaknesses does it create. That'll be the platform to identify who needs to come in/if Skipp gives what is needed.

I don't think Ange's team have the information for CM they need yet.
Upgrades on Hojberg then Skipp? Hojberg definitely, Skipp may still surprise us, played well vs Man U, home grown and a good squad player.

I think the DM is an easier buy
The box to box player is a rarer breed and if it’s in this window…. We could do get the dm easier

Another player we should look at is Ramsey at Villa. Not getting the starts there this season but had a very high ceiling imo

Again… I don’t think they would sell
Not sure about DM being an easier buy.

Don't think we're looking for a stop gap or backup kind of player. We're being linked to Gallagher, I think we're looking for real quality and someone to at least push for a regular starting spot.

For DM, imo, we would need someone that's fairly quick, very good in defensive transitions and defensively in general. Also press resistant and with good ball progressing ability through passing and/or dribbling.

Who would you suggest for the DM role?

I'm not sure we are even looking that intently.
We already have Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur. So it's a 4th rotation option better than Skipp, ideally homegrown and prepared to accept they'll be 4th choice until someone's form drops or they displace someone.
We haven't seen a time when all three of those are available for a prolonged period yet - so the first question is, which are the "first choice". And then what combinations work best and what strengths/weaknesses does it create. That'll be the platform to identify who needs to come in/if Skipp gives what is needed.

I don't think Ange's team have the information for CM they need yet.
We've seen a drop in form from Bissouma this season, but we had no choice but to keep playing him.

We've asked so much of young Sarr this season.

We've seen Hojbjerg being used quite a bit, mostly as a sub, but still. Playing an important role in the team.

I think there have been several times this season where Ange would have brought in a sub in midfield if we had better options.

That's with Bentancur missing for most of the season of course. But players will continue to be injured at times. Next season we'll likely have a lot more games, the injuries won't stop, the need for rotation will only increase.

I'm guessing Ange and his team are fairly certain of what they want even though we haven't seen all the possible combinations on the pitch yet. I think they have enough information by now knowing a lot about what the players already here can and can't do.

Not sure about DM being an easier buy.

Don't think we're looking for a stop gap or backup kind of player. We're being linked to Gallagher, I think we're looking for real quality and someone to at least push for a regular starting spot.

For DM, imo, we would need someone that's fairly quick, very good in defensive transitions and defensively in general. Also press resistant and with good ball progressing ability through passing and/or dribbling.

Who would you suggest for the DM role?
The reason i say a DM is easier to get is because it’s a more common role
The B2B role is kinda niche now
I don’t know who we can get, but some of the guys form France we have been linked with may be the right fit

The reason i say a DM is easier to get is because it’s a more common role
The B2B role is kinda niche now
I don’t know who we can get, but some of the guys form France we have been linked with may be the right fit
It's a common role overall. But I think that role in our system has a lot of requirements to make it work, more than in most teams.

Case in point PEH and Skipp both being rather good and useful DM options for us in the past under other managers. Now looking like not great fits under Ange.

Part of our approach (imo) is to create overloads in the centre, where things are often rather tight even at the best of times. Asks a lot of the players being asked to operate in those areas.

It's a common role overall. But I think that role in our system has a lot of requirements to make it work, more than in most teams.

Case in point PEH and Skipp both being rather good and useful DM options for us in the past under other managers. Now looking like not great fits under Ange.

Part of our approach (imo) is to create overloads in the centre, where things are often rather tight even at the best of times. Asks a lot of the players being asked to operate in those areas.
It’s why we need more technically capable players in those roles

Again, for me a DM who does what Bissouma does but maybe has a better longer passing range will help

The box to box player is key but we could then play sarr or bentacur

I mean Lo Celso does that role but he is brittle

Again, for me a DM who does what Bissouma does but maybe has a better longer passing range will help

The versatility we currently have is really helpful, particularly Bentancur:

Bentancur - #4, #8, #10
Sarr - #8, #4
Bissouma - #4, #8
Maddison - #10, #8
Lo Celso - #10, #8
Skipp - #4, #8
Hojbjerg - #4, #8

Bentancur - #4, #8, #10
Sarr - #8, #4
Bissouma - #4, #8
Maddison - #10, #8
Lo Celso - #10, #8
Skipp - #4, #8
Hojbjerg - #4, #8
The drop off in the 4 role as you call us is huge when it’s not bissouma
Sarr hasn’t played there under ange
Skipp has once
Pierre struggles there because he can’t do the short passing
Biss and bentacur can play there for sure

Bentancur - #4, #8, #10
Sarr - #8, #4
Bissouma - #4, #8
Maddison - #10, #8
Lo Celso - #10, #8
Skipp - #4, #8
Hojbjerg - #4, #8

It makes it so much easier to understand particularly when players are wearing so many numbers, how about midfielders with different roles. I really don't care about stats and tactical analysis, I like to watch us play well and win the rest is just fluff for the nerds and employment for ex-pros

I'm trying to think of how many of them there have ever been.

Viera
Essien
Pirlo, sort of
Petit - ish
Dunga

Are there many others?!

A DM that does what Bissouma does with better long passing range would be a world class DM imo. At least if also consistent.

I think those players are really few and far between. Usually expensive. United paid a fortune for an ageing Casemiro. Liverpool ended up going for a stop gap. Chelsea have paid extraordinarily highly for deep/defensive midfielders. City can't find fitting cover for Rodri for all their resources.

They're really difficult players to find and sign.

I'm trying to think of how many of them there have ever been.

Viera
Essien
Pirlo, sort of
Petit - ish
Dunga

Are there many others?!
Carrick
The Italian Brazilian lad now at Arsenal Jorginho
They don’t have to be world class
But it’s an alternative
Neves would be a good fit
Moutinho did it too

A DM that does what Bissouma does with better long passing range would be a world class DM imo. At least if also consistent.

I think those players are really few and far between. Usually expensive. United paid a fortune for an ageing Casemiro. Liverpool ended up going for a stop gap. Chelsea have paid extraordinarily highly for deep/defensive midfielders. City can't find fitting cover for Rodri for all their resources.

They're really difficult players to find and sign.
Easier to find a DM than a B2B player imo
We are only being linked with one player.. gallagher
That’s a small pool

Back