• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

How many "proven" strikers are there that would be happy to sit on the bench behind Harry all season, only playing in the league cup and against bottom of the table clubs?
what, Poch can't figure out a system where we play two, even three, up front at times ? Or get a rotation policy going ?? Not set in stone how we are set up, and fluidity is key

Traore is just fast, nothing else. He has no end product. We can do better Imo.

This for me as well, i remember him coming on against at Boro earlier this season. His pace was electric and he run us ragged the first couple of times he got the ball but he did nothing but run into players and after 10 minutes our defence sussed him.

I gave it some thought a couple of months ago, but didn't want to jinx anything. Now however, with top 4 seemingly assured and an increasingly positive view of our club developing, I'm happy to start talking about prospective signing's.

What we seem to be doing better with now is switching between system's in a fluid manner. Yesterday we had Dier dropping in to fill position's depending on where our CB's and full back's were and Wanyama became Dembele, especially with those driving runs. Anyway I'm digressing somewhat, but my point is that we have to look at the two system's we use and decide where our weaknesses lie.

===========
We have enough cover imo in the back line and deep midfield. We are unfortunate right now that both Winks and Dembele (who would be in competition imo), are injured. For me, any injury to the AM band would be catastrophic and we have been lucky that they have all been kept healthy. We have no one that can play as the orchestrator should Eriksen be injured nor someone to trouble the defence in the area like Son or Alli. Sissoko, GKN and Jannsen are used situationally, but don't offer anything remotely close quality wise.

===========
In this formation we at least have Son and Alli able to rotate with one another, but we do lack real competition/cover for Eriksen. The only other glaringly obvious hole is that we don't have a true left wing back, with Davies not having the pace to quite do the job.

So in total I think we need another goalscorer like Alli and Son as well as an orchestrator like Eriksen and a LWB. I don't know quite how to class Lamela right now, not just because of his injury situation but also because he doesn't offer the goals that Son and Alli do nor the vision of Eriksen.

Martial could probably cover all of Kane, Alli and Son. I like the look of Patrik Schick, who offer's the same skill set and would probably be cheaper than Martial.
Tielemans can cover Eriksen, Dembele and maybe Alli, but he's unlikely to come here so somoene like Klaassen or Sigurdsson could be an option. They both look more of a cross between Alli and Eriksen.
Theo Hernandez could cover Rose, although he's got a lot of suitors. Sessegnon could be an option but at 16 he needs regular football.

@Yoof has Onomah developed enough this year to be a third choice option behind Dembele and Winks? Do we see Edwards as the type of player who can cover Eriksen or is he more likely to offer something closer to Son?

@Yoof has Onomah developed enough this year to be a third choice option behind Dembele and Winks? Do we see Edwards as the type of player who can cover Eriksen or is he more likely to offer something closer to Son?

You know as much as I do with Onomah as he's not playing games at any level nowadays, as far as I'm concerned he's still a highly promising CM but Poch never uses him there on the rare occasion he gets on, I'm not really sure where his career is going tbh but hopefully it works itself out. As for Edwards I don't really think he's like any other player in the squad so it's hard to say who he'd be a direct replacement for should he breakthrough next season. I think it'd be better for him to play alongside Eriksen(or Lamela if he's still here) though as the likes of Alli and Son still rely on the play being made for them to some degree and it wouldn't be fair to expect Edwards to be able to do that straight away. Edwards' game has changed a bit in the past couple of years, up until around the age of 15 he was just a pure creator always looking to play little through balls and set up others but now he's more direct and gets more goals.

Isn't Nkoudou our raw pacey wide player we hope to develop though? I think he's shown more quality at Marseille and the little time he's had here than Adama has at any of his clubs.

He needs a full PL season somewhere similar to how Rose went to Sunderland. He's far far too raw at the moment and won't get enough game time Spurs yet as a result

You know as much as I do with Onomah as he's not playing games at any level nowadays, as far as I'm concerned he's still a highly promising CM but Poch never uses him there on the rare occasion he gets on, I'm not really sure where his career is going tbh but hopefully it works itself out. As for Edwards I don't really think he's like any other player in the squad so it's hard to say who he'd be a direct replacement for should he breakthrough next season. I think it'd be better for him to play alongside Eriksen(or Lamela if he's still here) though as the likes of Alli and Son still rely on the play being made for them to some degree and it wouldn't be fair to expect Edwards to be able to do that straight away. Edwards' game has changed a bit in the past couple of years, up until around the age of 15 he was just a pure creator always looking to play little through balls and set up others but now he's more direct and gets more goals.

Onomah is massively over-rated based on what he's shown on the pitch this season. Maybe he's been brilliant in training and thats why Poch has given him some chances, but in the games he's had an opportunity in, he's shown nothing. Perhaps that's why since Xmas Poch has given him fewer and fewer opportunities?

He needs a full PL season somewhere similar to how Rose went to Sunderland. He's far far too raw at the moment and won't get enough game time Spurs yet as a result

Maybe, though I don't think Poch views loans as a way of developing a player.

Onomah is massively over-rated based on what he's shown on the pitch this season. Maybe he's been brilliant in training and thats why Poch has given him some chances, but in the games he's had an opportunity in, he's shown nothing. Perhaps that's why since Xmas Poch has given him fewer and fewer opportunities?

Tbh I've said my bit on Onomah enough times and can't be bothered to go over it again, all I'll say is that sometimes it pays to be patient with a young player.

Maybe, though I don't think Poch views loans as a way of developing a player.

Tbh I've said my bit on Onomah enough times and can't be bothered to go over it again, all I'll say is that sometimes it pays to be patient with a young player.

@Yoof from everything I've read and heard about Onomah, his natural/best/proven position is playing in a deeper midfield role. Do you feel he will ever get the chance to demonstrate that aptitude in our first team or would it be kinder to his career progression to let him move on to somewhere where he will be able to play to his strengths? All well and good training with the first team and getting the odd 5 minutes here and there. But is it enough for him to progress? (Sorry, just realised you said you don't want to go over it all again, so apols if asking the obvious!)

I'm sure if you go through the preseason threads, you wouldn't seen people mentioning Winks as a potential key player for us. Because Josh has been around for the last couple of years, I think people forget just how young he is (1 year younger than Winks) and are losing patience with him too soon. Also, we have never seen him play in his proper position for the first team. Remember, if you put Winks on the wing, he'd probably look nowhere near as good as he does.

I do agree that next year feels pivotal for him, and I really think he either needs to get some minutes in his real position or he needs a lower-level PL loan or a loan to a top Championship club to get his career on the right track. I'd love to see Winks and Onomah be our third and fourth choice center midfielders behind Mousa and Wanyama, but it's obviously all down how much Poch trusts him.

@Yoof from everything I've read and heard about Onomah, his natural/best/proven position is playing in a deeper midfield role. Do you feel he will ever get the chance to demonstrate that aptitude in our first team or would it be kinder to his career progression to let him move on to somewhere where he will be able to play to his strengths? All well and good training with the first team and getting the odd 5 minutes here and there. But is it enough for him to progress? (Sorry, just realised you said you don't want to go over it all again, so apols if asking the obvious!)

Poch was asked in January whether there's a chance of Onomah going on loan and his answer was an emphatic "no", he then went on to say that he believes it's best for him(and other young players) to stay with the team and learn from them every day. I can see his point but then I do think he would benefit from regular game-time, which I struggle to see him getting here(then again I probably thought the same about Winks this time last year). His best position is CM, he's generally always been a CM but there's been no sign of Poch wanting to use him there so far. If you ask most Spurs fans they'll probably say Winks is great and Onomah's crap but at youth level Onomah was always just that little bit ahead, Winks has adapted brilliantly whilst Josh has struggled a bit but I'd still say it's way too early to write him off.

Said it earlier in the thread, pivotal window for us given what is going on around the club and what all the other top 6 are going to do.

We definitely need a forward without selling Janssen and it really depends what Poch wants in terms of a player to push Kane and compliment him or a back up to use every now and then or for cameos. Personally I would go for Lacazette as a big money signing as he can play wide right forward as well but certainly my list of targets for forward would be:

Lacazette - Big money but would be interested. Fairly prolific, young, pacy and fits the profile club want. Contract till 2019
Dembele - Interested before, probably missed the boat but has shown to a degree where the net is. Contract till 2020
Dolberg - Young, Danish and another Ajax product that would no doubt like to link up with Eriksen - Not an out & out forward. Contract till 2021
Javier Hernandez - PL proven and with 1 year left on his deal, definite quality as an impact player and ideal for the press. Contract till 2018
Jermain Defoe - PL and TH proven and likely to go for a smallish fee given his age and relegation despite 2 years left on his deal. Contract till 2019

Lacazette and Dembele will cost big money so it depends where else he sees the squad needing tweaking.

I would have a list of targets for an unpredictable and tricky wide player who gives us an option to stretch the game but can also play inside as well.

Wilfred Zaha - Had a good season and looks like he would be very interested in joining. Big money required. Contract till 2020
Demarai Gray - Hasn't looked out of place when he has played. Young, enthusiastic with potential to grow. Contract till 2020
Angel Correa - Have liked what I have seen but possibly a wild card being very much used to living in Spain. Contract till 2019
Nathan Redmond - Has improved each season with Norwich/Southampton but likely to be an expensive deal. Contract till 2021

Another central playmaker to compete with Eriksen and potentially replace should we lose him at any point in the next 2-3 seasons is important. Would keep him on his toes and also allow us to rest him with relatively small impact to the playing style.

Max Meyer - Only 21, highly rated in Germany and with 4 caps already. 1 year left on deal. Contract till 2018
Ross Barkley - English, PL proven with some potential still left. Likely to command a bigish fee despite contract situation. Contract till 2018
Isco - Re found his form at Real Madrid making a transfer unlikely but would give us a superstar signing. Contract till 2018

Aside from those targets the Kevin Wimmer situation keeps being discussed and it looks like he may want out with Harry Maguire/Michael Keane being mooted as replacements. Both have looked good this season and both have only 1 year left on their deal with their respective clubs. I would possibly lean towards Maguire with his cost likely to be lower and with less competition from others. I think I would also test the water with Fulham for Sessegnon with a loan back.

For me, my choices would be Lacazette, Demarai Gray, Meyer, Maguire and Sessegnon. Meyer and Maguire both have 1 year left and won't go for much more than £10m I wouldn't suspect

Not sure who would have to go but obviously Walker going would mean either promoting KWP or looking for another RB but money in the kitty. We are still due money from the Bentaleb and Fazio deals plus the money from Carroll before we look at any departures raising funds. We don't know what the score will be regarding Sissoko and we also don't know what will happen with Lamela. I want our bench to have a bit more quality next season and less impact on our performance should we rotate.

I may be totally wrong but I don't think Poch wants tricky winger type player, he seems to prefer forwards who can play across the field. Our strength is the interchanging our forwards give us, the width comes from the fullbacks.

I may be totally wrong but I don't think Poch wants tricky winger type player, he seems to prefer forwards who can play across the field. Our strength is the interchanging our forwards give us, the width comes from the fullbacks.

as a plan A i think you're correct but i think the players we have targeted (and signed) in the transfer windows over the past couple of season would suggest he does want a tricky winger type, presumably though just as a Plan B option

Back