• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

But we are still spending £30m total fee and it would be naive to think that most transfers don't have the fee structured as payable over a period of time. I can't see why Saudi Sportswashing Machine would sell him for £6m per season and allow us to stop paying were we to sell him this summer.

I don't know but on the face of it the deal doesn't look very Levy. There was agent talk after the deal that the player refused to join anyone else.

Sessegnon could be but his profile and price is escalating.
We need to bite the bullet and actually pay the going rate for someone like O. Dembele. Even if he doesn't live up to expectations he is young enough to have a sell on, so the risk is more about wages, can we attract someone like him.

The advantage we have to do what you suggest and get the next up and coming player, is to sell them the fact that Poch allows young players to develop and most importantly he gives them first team opportunities. He did so at Southamppton and has done so at Spurs with Onomah, who hasn't been discarded, and that must be encouraging for other young players, 2CV, Winks and not forgetting Alli, who has improved.
Maybe we have to pay up for someone like Dembele. Personally I think we've come to where we are doing what we've done so far. We should keep doing what it's working so well for us.

It's gonna be a long and tedious summer, isn't it. I used to enjoy my daily summer rumours, but I'm increasingly bored and annoyed with them. And I'm sure we won't see the end of Spurs player X and Y being linked to other clubs because they are richer and thus per definition is more successful, despite Spurs being the better side over the course of two seasons.

Building a good side matters less and less. It's all about buying success, session after season - I'm sure even if we do keep our squad together (which I think we will), the fact that we're young and talented and will very likely develop into an even better team next season, will be mostly overlooked. It will be the regular tossfest with pundits talking about how Pep spent so and so much, how Mourinho bought those extremely expensive players, how Klopp unearthed the next Messi and how Chelski spent another £50-60m on two squad players that will rarely play before they end up in China for record money in a year or two. And of course they'll save a bit of fapping for whoever ends up as this summer's marquee signing for Arse, in a position where they don't really need reinforcement.

Ok, I'll happily admit I'm fine with that, because it allows us to move forward outside the media circus. But it annoys me so much that real achievement and long term building is overshadowed by money, names and short term thinking. Football is such a show these days, and to be fair has been for years, but I really hate it.

I don't know, I'm probably just turning into a grumpy old nostalgic, but the constant cat video on youtube of mass produced, repetitive "articles" with no sources just annoys me. I realise there's money to be made making them, because fools like me still keep clicking the links. So this summer, I think I might make that extra little effort not too. Even if it doesn't matter brick.

Oh well. Rant over. That escalated, eh?
They'll be talking plenty about us and the organic way we built our team, if we win the title this year. And then, of course, write us off for next season after the other clubs spunk gazillions on new players. Which is just the way we like it. :cool:

Been debating with some Everton friends about what i want this summer

For me I'd like

Maguire form Hull (sell Wimmer)
Sessegnon but leave him there
Redmond from Southampton

I'd be really happy with that

Hopefully more pace. The control and skill in this team is immense. If we had a flyer of an inside-forward we could become REALLY unstoppable

"I can't see why Saudi Sportswashing Machine would sell him for £6m per season and allow us to stop paying were we to sell him this summer."

They were a bit hard up, maybe?

For me I'd like

Redmond from Southampton

Maguire - as I said, you've convinced me. Wouldn't mind him at all.

Sessegnon - maybe, but that's 15-20m (guessing here) that we could be spending on a player who would be immediately available, instead of one who will only show up after a further year spent out on loan. Sure, we did something like this with Dele, but a) it was only 5m, and b) his loan back was only for the second half of the 2014/2015 season. It might be worth it to lock down a potentially world-class talent, but that detracts from our ability to maneuver in the market to fill more pressing needs. Plus, what does that mean for Davies and his recently-acquired contract out to 2021 (I think it is)?

Redmond - has he been particularly impressive? I haven't kept tabs on Soton this season, but I haven't heard of Redmond being particularly noteworthy - he was on-and-off against us, and he hasn't really hit the heights that (for example) Mane did last season.

Personally, I'd be chuffed with a centre-back like Maguire - possibly two, if we're also moving Wimmer on (in which case we could try for Gibson or Keane as well, albeit at the risk of overpaying for mediocrity, or look abroad to talents like Tah and Kongolo/more experienced middle-range players like De Vrij). A central midfielder able to accurately emulate Dembele *and* play further up the field in an AM role would also suit me just fine - someone like Leon Goretzka from Schalke, or maybe (*maybe*, if his wage demands aren't outrageous) Barkley from Everton if we're absolutely certain that he can still kick on from his relative stagnation over the past couple of seasons.

Oh, and a replacement for Vorm if he leaves - maybe activate the buy option for Pau, or alternately get another Prem-proven elder head in.

Sessegnon - maybe, but that's 15-20m (guessing here) that we could be spending on a player who would be immediately available, instead of one who will only show up after a further year spent out on loan. Sure, we did something like this with Dele, but a) it was only 5m, and b) his loan back was only for the second half of the 2014/2015 season. It might be worth it to lock down a potentially world-class talent, but that detracts from our ability to maneuver in the market to fill more pressing needs. Plus, what does that mean for Davies and his recently-acquired contract out to 2021 (I think it is)?

Redmond - has he been particularly impressive? I haven't kept tabs on Soton this season, but I haven't heard of Redmond being particularly noteworthy - he was on-and-off against us, and he hasn't really hit the heights that (for example) Mane did last season.

Personally, I'd be chuffed with a centre-back like Maguire - possibly two, if we're also moving Wimmer on (in which case we could try for Gibson or Keane as well, albeit at the risk of overpaying for mediocrity, or look abroad to talents like Tah and Kongolo/more experienced middle-range players like De Vrij). A central midfielder able to accurately emulate Dembele *and* play further up the field in an AM role would also suit me just fine - someone like Leon Goretzka from Schalke, or maybe (*maybe*, if his wage demands aren't outrageous) Barkley from Everton if we're absolutely certain that he can still kick on from his relative stagnation over the past couple of seasons.

Oh, and a replacement for Vorm if he leaves - maybe activate the buy option for Pau, or alternately get another Prem-proven elder head in.

Has Sessegnon actually signed a pro deal? I mean we could get him for free and then it goes to a tribunal

Has Sessegnon actually signed a pro deal? I mean we could get him for free and then it goes to a tribunal

I dunno - I'm just going by what the posters at FoF were saying a while ago when I headed over there to see if our links with Sessegnon were backed up by local chatter. They seem to think they can wring 15-20m out of a Prem club - I'd wager those are total guesses, which is why I duly also clarified that I was guessing when I quoted that figure.

A central midfielder able to accurately emulate Dembele *and* play further up the field in an AM role would also suit me just fine - someone like Leon Goretzka from Schalke, or maybe (*maybe*, if his wage demands aren't outrageous) Barkley from Everton if we're absolutely certain that he can still kick on from his relative stagnation over the past couple of seasons.

Goretzka every day of the week, please and thanks!

Based on Barkley's performance against Chelsea at the weekend (and the few other times I've seen him this season) I don't want him anywhere near our squad. I'd genuinely take Tom Davies ahead of him.

Barkley is the definition of a luxury player, dwells on the ball, turns it over, doesn't press and struggles defensively. Then he doesn't create enough to be afforded that carelessness. Poch wouldn't tolerate him long.

He reminds me of Wheelchair, hyped beyond belief because of his nationality but has already reached his prime, I don't see him kicking on to any great heights from here.

For me I'd like

Redmond from Southampton

OK with the first one. Sessegnon looks like he has decent potential though not in a position we need - potentially I guess he could replace Davies in a year or two and is a more natural like for like cover for rose. We also need another CM to cover Dembele in addition to Winks given the number of injuries which MD is now picking up (plus he turns 30 this summer so those niggly injuries could start to get worse).

Redmond doesn't seem up to standard to me. Agree that we need a forward with some pace and ability to beat a man - Sane from Man C is the ideal type of player, though obviously couldn't get him. I like Carasco at Athletico and Mertens at Napoli (though Mertens is older than we'd sign) but those and Sane are the type of player we need. We signed GKN last summer which I think is recognition that we need someone with some pace however he's a very poor mans version of those above, possibly just because he needs some game time from going out on loan for a year. I guess we'll see this summer whether Poch thinks he can make it or whether he'd be ruthless as with Njie

Goretzka every day of the week, please and thanks!

Based on Barkley's performance against Chelsea at the weekend (and the few other times I've seen him this season) I don't want him anywhere near our squad. I'd genuinely take Tom Davies ahead of him.

Barkley is the definition of a luxury player, dwells on the ball, turns it over, doesn't press and struggles defensively. Then he doesn't create enough to be afforded that carelessness. Poch wouldn't tolerate him long.

He reminds me of Wheelchair, hyped beyond belief because of his nationality but has already reached his prime, I don't see him kicking on to any great heights from here.

I don't entirely disagree, mate - I'm not very convinced by Barkley either. But that very Englishness that has seen him hyped also has certain advantages in terms of keeping his valuation high in the event that he turns out to be a dud and we have to subsequently move him on - plus, it's a low risk transfer on our end, because we have a dissimilar, but very capable replacement for Dembele anyway in Winks. If he works out, great. If he struggles, maybe try him out at AM and see how he does there in a more attacking role. If he still struggles, convince some other English club that he's a diamond in the rough and move him on for a relatively inflated fee.

All this is predicated on him coming in for a 20-25 million pound fee, mind (because of his contract situation) - if Everton want more than that, then even those possible upsides become *very* difficult to justify, and we'd be better off plumping for Goretzka, Kessie or someone like that even at the risk of them not working out and netting us less than Barkley would in that situation.

With Goretzka, he's very attainable, I think. Schalke are struggling to rise above mid-table, and a move to the Prem might help him gain the exposure he needs to get into the German national team on a consistent basis. However, by the same token, maybe he won't want to move in a World Cup year (because of the fear of being benched at Spurs and then duly passed over by Low come 2018)? I dunno. But he's more attainable than Isco was, and than many other similarly talented midfielders with the 'Dembele' profile (big, strong, good on the ball, good defensively, etcetera) would be - players like Bakayoko and Nainggolan.

I dunno - I'm just going by what the posters at FoF were saying a while ago when I headed over there to see if our links with Sessegnon were backed up by local chatter. They seem to think they can wring 15-20m out of a Prem club - I'd wager those are total guesses, which is why I duly also clarified that I was guessing when I quoted that figure.

The only clubs that will pay that for him are the clubs that are worse for him.

I don't entirely disagree, mate - I'm not very convinced by Barkley either. But that very Englishness that has seen him hyped also has certain advantages in terms of keeping his valuation high in the event that he turns out to be a dud and we have to subsequently move him on - plus, it's a low risk transfer on our end, because we have a dissimilar, but very capable replacement for Dembele anyway in Winks. If he works out, great. If he struggles, maybe try him out at AM and see how he does there in a more attacking role. If he still struggles, convince some other English club that he's a diamond in the rough and move him on for a relatively inflated fee.

All this is predicated on him coming in for a 20-25 million pound fee, mind (because of his contract situation) - if Everton want more than that, then even those possible upsides become *very* difficult to justify, and we'd be better off plumping for Goretzka, Kessie or someone like that even at the risk of them not working out and netting us less than Barkley would in that situation.

With Goretzka, he's very attainable, I think. Schalke are struggling to rise above mid-table, and a move to the Prem might help him gain the exposure he needs to get into the German national team on a consistent basis. However, by the same token, maybe he won't want to move in a World Cup year (because of the fear of being benched at Spurs and then duly passed over by Low come 2018)? I dunno. But he's more attainable than Isco was, and than many other similarly talented midfielders with the 'Dembele' profile (big, strong, good on the ball, good defensively, etcetera) would be - players like Bakayoko and Nainggolan.

I really don't want us to sign anyone that will reduce Winks's playing time. I'd rather we bought (or already had) another talented youth player who could be behind Winks in the pecking order, and who would only step in when Dembele and Winks were both injured or needed a rest.

I really don't want us to sign anyone that will reduce Winks's playing time. I'd rather we bought (or already had) another talented youth player who could be behind Winks in the pecking order, and who would only step in when Dembele and Winks were both injured or needed a rest.

Wouldn't necessarily need to - the reason a Dembele clone (well, a rough approximation of him, anyway) would be so useful is that said player would be able to fill multiple roles in the side and not look out of place. If Winks is playing too well to drop as Dembele's understudy, then play this Dembele-lookalike in defensive midfield as Wanyama's backup - make Dier the permanent right-sided CB in both our three-man backline and in our future defensive setups more broadly. Alternately, if Dier wants to fight with Wanyama for a DM place long-term and only agrees to occupy the RCB slot out of convenience, then fine - play this Dembele-clone in attacking midfield as Alli's similarly physical understudy.

The versatility offered by another big, strong, mobile, technically-skilled, defensively-adept central midfielder would be a massive boon, and wouldn't necessarily mean Winks would have to be the one who would lose playtime over his acquisition. The only constant would be that we would have another large-yet-technically-gifted player to plug in wherever he's needed most (in essence) - given that our marking, pressing and defensive setup relies on overpowering the opposition through sheer strength and force (to a significant extent), that would be vital in allowing our first-choice players more rest than they otherwise would get.

I suggested to my mates they should sign Vorm
redmond has been their stand out player hence why he has got in the England side (I know that's not the best measure). He has scored more goals for them than Lennon ever managed for us in a season for example. Has a. Erg high pass success rate too at 84%. He is as quick as someone like Zaha but IMO may cost less and is much more of an overall threat

We do not need cover for cover in midfield unless it's a very versatile player - I can't comment at all on the lad Goretzka as I've never seen him play

Wouldn't necessarily need to - the reason a Dembele clone (well, a rough approximation of him, anyway) would be so useful is that said player would be able to fill multiple roles in the side and not look out of place. If Winks is playing too well to drop as Dembele's understudy, then play this Dembele-lookalike in defensive midfield as Wanyama's backup - make Dier the permanent right-sided CB in both our three-man backline and in our future defensive setups more broadly. Alternately, if Dier wants to fight with Wanyama for a DM place long-term and only agrees to occupy the RCB slot out of convenience, then fine - play this Dembele-clone in attacking midfield as Alli's similarly physical understudy.

The versatility offered by another big, strong, mobile, technically-skilled, defensively-adept central midfielder would be a massive boon, and wouldn't necessarily mean Winks would have to be the one who would lose playtime over his acquisition. The only constant would be that we would have another large-yet-technically-gifted player to plug in wherever he's needed most (in essence) - given that our marking, pressing and defensive setup relies on overpowering the opposition through sheer strength and force (to a significant extent), that would be vital in allowing our first-choice players more rest than they otherwise would get.

Fine, but in that case (I.e. Dier as a CM) I'd rather focus on having a backup with Alli's skill set (which I think it's fair to say is more about goals than physicality). If he's also more adept than Alli and Eriksen at playing CM in a pinch then that's great, but I think that should be the order of the prioritisation.

I don't watch European football, so don't know if those guys you mentioned fit the bill!

Depends on whether you want us to compete for trophies and top 4 again next season, or act as a development team. There's obviously a delicate balance to be sought between the two and Poch has got it right so far, however the further up in the league you want to compete and the more competitive you want to be in cups/Europe, the more difficult it is to rely on kids. I dont see us ever signing 27 year olds at peak valuations, but signing a 22/23 year old who is half-proven and could play in Dembele's position and maybe others is I think needed

Back