• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

I don't get this look what Poch has done for Dembele? He did well for Fulham, and presumably did well for the team before them. Just because previous Spurs managers didn't know how to get the best from him, doesn't mean Poch has sprinkled magic dust in his cornflakes.

He's made Dembele consistent, he's also given him a role. Early versions of Dembele had odd great games, and I don't think he always knew his role, now he does and he rarely has an off game.

@Pirate55 & @NaijaSpurs do you guys actually watch everton? (not being provoking, just asking), Barclay has been pants everytime he has played us, I've seen Everton games where it took me 60 minutes to realize he's on the pitch .. he goes completely invisible. He will never be competition to Eriksen, maybe Poch could make him a decent player, but Eriksen is literally on another planet re football intelligence.

He's made Dembele consistent, he's also given him a role. Early versions of Dembele had odd great games, and I don't think he always knew his role, now he does and he rarely has an off game.

@Pirate55 & @NaijaSpurs do you guys actually watch everton? (not being provoking, just asking), Barclay has been pants everytime he has played us, I've seen Everton games where it took me 60 minutes to realize he's on the pitch .. he goes completely invisible. He will never be competition to Eriksen, maybe Poch could make him a decent player, but Eriksen is literally on another planet re football intelligence.

Barkley has a lot of talent and can do the unexpected. He has enough ability to play for a top and side but is difficult to know about his attitude to know if he is hungry enough

If we could get him then I'm all for it as he is miles better than Sissoko but not at the cost of no giving someone like Edwards development time

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it disagrees with most observers of the game, including managers at club and international level. I have seen him display silky ball skills, deliver killer dead balls, pick out players with delicious passes and score goals.

If Poch wants him ( as would seem to be the case) I would certainly take his view over yours - even given the farago over Sissoko.

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it disagrees with most observers of the game, including managers at club and international level. I have seen him display silky ball skills, deliver killer dead balls, pick out players with delicious passes and score goals.

If Poch wants him ( as would seem to be the case) I would certainly take his view over yours - even given the farago over Sissoko.

It is my opinion, but outside of Poch (who can do what he wants), I really don't give much credit to how people rate especially English players, no one with half a brain would have picked Stones over Dier. And the fact that Toby isn't shortlisted for player of the season also shows "how much" observers of the game know.

I'll make a bet, if we don't buy Barkley (cause Poch is magic), in 3 years from now he will be a nothing mid to lower level PL player that does the occasional highlight reel brick (sounds like a West Ham player to me).

My mate and I were discussing this...we think it will be mostly Premiership-proven players.
I think we should make a massive bid for Michael Keane, ditto for Zaha as I believe Poch will improve him yet further...if I were going abroad, if I could get Pusilic then he'd fit the ticket for me, but my mate reckons we might try for Schurrle (can't see it myself)...if we got Keane and Zaha I'd be very happy. I think Keane is important; quality, proven, England international now and left-sided (given that we'll move Wimmer on)...on the fence re: Barkley, that would be one where I would be trusting the manager to find his extra gears.

Well I do not judge Barkley just on the games he plays against us, I have seen a lot of him and I think he is talented

I think he could improve Barkley just as he improve Danny Rose who he turned into the best left back/wing back in the country. Remember when you did not use to rate Rose? Before Poch got his hands on him? in February 2014 you said:

He's not good enough, our biggest mistake of the window is not getting at least an option there

In May 2014 Poch joined us.

Then in July 2014 you said:

......has the physical attributes, mentally a bit too rash and at the moment not good enough purely as a defender, and too inconsistent as an attacker/LW

Maybe Poch can get something out of him, but would be very surprised if he started next season for us.

And now he is the best left back/wing back in the country and arguably one of the best Europe.

All i am saying is that I have seen enough potential in him to believe that Poch could turn him into a vastly improved player

My mate and I were discussing this...we think it will be mostly Premiership-proven players.
I think we should make a massive bid for Michael Keane, ditto for Zaha as I believe Poch will improve him yet further...if I were going abroad, if I could get Pusilic then he'd fit the ticket for me, but my mate reckons we might try for Schurrle (can't see it myself)...if we got Keane and Zaha I'd be very happy. I think Keane is important; quality, proven, England international now and left-sided (given that we'll move Wimmer on)...on the fence re: Barkley, that would be one where I would be trusting the manager to find his extra gears.

Is "Mate" code for ITK, esp given what you say re Wimmer?

Well I do not judge Barkley just on the games he plays against us, I have seen a lot of him and I think he is talented

I think he could improve Barkley just as he improve Danny Rose who he turned into the best left back/wing back in the country. Remember when you did not use to rate Rose? Before Poch got his hands on him? in February 2014 you said:

And now he is the best left back/wing back in the country and arguably one of the best Europe.

All i am saying is that I have seen enough potential in him to believe that Poch could turn him into a vastly improved player

Exactly. We still don't have a player like Eriksen in the squad. Currently he can't be rotated or rested. If he got injured, we lose our principal central playmaker and dead ball taker. Barclay would fill that gap. We definitely need him or someone like him.

Hahaha, I'll go one better, I thought Rose was terrible .. lets be clear I believe Poch vastly improves any player who buys in to it (willing to give their all)

I personally just don't see it in Barkley (but I also thought Ronaldo was a one trick step over pony for the first year), like you and others have said, others see something. I think he's a bad cost/risk/potential option, but if Poch wants him, I'll back Poch all day long.

Eriksen ...If he got injured, we lose our principal ... dead ball taker.

Eriksen's set pieces are poor. His corners are weak and bounce at the feet of the first man. Against Bournemouth Moussa got the ball on the second bounce, as Bournemouth allowed it to bounce right across the box. His freekicks always hit the wall or go miles over. There are 5 players in the team that can take better set pieces than Eriksen.

But as a playmaker, Eriksen is awesome, such intelligence, ghosting into spaces.

Barkley is much more like Dembele than Eriksen. He is about power, dribbling, turning, laying it off, and MotD moments. He is nothing like Eriksen.

Barkley isn't a playmaker from what I have seen either, not sure where Pirate is getting that from

I do think @Bullet is on to something re: Dembele cover though, he does like to glide past players and lay it off - could potentially see that being the idea behind the rumored interest

I do think @Bullet is on to something re: Dembele cover though, he does like to glide past players and lay it off - could potentially see that being the idea behind the rumored interest

I've seen him as primarily Dembele or Alli cover but I know that we have discussed this before Billy and you disagree with him covering Alli.

Barkley is a playmaker. He has the highest assist stats of any English player (yes I know the benchmark is low)

He could play centre mid but he currently plays as a number 10

Also comparing him to dembele at this point is crazy as Barkley still has some way to go, but I agree with the comments that there are similarities

Barkley is a playmaker. He has the highest assist stats of any English player (yes I know the benchmark is low)

Also comparing him to dembele at this point is crazy as Barkley still has some way to go, but I agree with the comments that there are similarities

I don't think that he can dictate play like Eriksen can. The most obvious understudy that we currently have would be Winks. We haven't seen Poch play him further forwards very often but he could pull the strings from deep.

Assists alone don't make a player a playmaker and I'm not sure the position he takes up on the pitch does either - Dele plays the no.10 position but isn't one and Lamela has comparable creativity stats and isn't consideer cover for Eriksen for some reason either - it's more how they play and I don't see play going through Barkley or him dictating things, he plays more with bursts of energy picking the ball up carrying it in to dangerous areas before making simple little layoffs - hence the comparisons to Dembele.

Assists alone don't make a player a playmaker and I'm not sure the position he takes up on the pitch does either - Dele plays the no.10 position but isn't one and Lamela has comparable creativity stats and isn't consideer cover for Eriksen for some reason either - it's more how they play and I don't see play going through Barkley or him dictating things, he plays more with bursts of energy picking the ball up carrying it in to dangerous areas before making simple little layoffs - hence the comparisons to Dembele.

Did you seee the cross he did the other day vs Leicester ? That was a playmaker cross IMO

I agree with the Dele comments but for me Barkley is definitely a playmaker just not as good as erisken for example

Under Poch though he could be come a real player

That Harry Hotspur [insert insult] is claiming that we've agreed terms with Naby Keita, attacking midfielder on loan at Leeds from Leipzig. Never seen him play but at 22 and half-proven, he fits the profile of the sort of player we go for at the moment. Very decent scoring record in his career so far for a midfielder.

He says that he's Dembele's long-term replacement - the Mouse isnt that old however I fear that he's one of those players who's injuries could catch-up with him and he therefore doesnt play for as long as he could. I'd be very happy if we signed a player in that position this summer

Barclay is a playmaker. To compare him to Dembele is simply wrong. He doesn't play deep at all. He is the heartbeat of the Everton team. He isn't that consistent at the moment and that is where Poch would come in. His passing range is excellent as is his dead ball striking ( much much better than Eriksen's current efforts!). I have no doubt that the reason Poch wants him is as cover/competition for Eriksen.

If Dembele is out , we have cover in Winks and Dier
If Ali is out, we have cover in Son and Lamela
If Eriksen is out - we have no cover. This is our urgent need.

Poch obviously doesn't rate/ trust Sissoko or Wimmer. So we need upgrades here too. Hence Zaha and maybe Keane.

Back