• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Its not obvious to me that Zaha is much better than Shooty McShooterson (aka Andros Townsend). I can't see him being our first choice 11 and I think we could get better for the £30m - £40m that he'd cost.

How about Yannick Carasco? Plays in a similar position, similar age, adds to our Dutch contingent but much higher quality than Zaha if you ask me and I think we'd have a pretty decent chance of getting him if we offered Athletico the sort of money which we'd need to pay for Zaha.

Need to add some quality depth so that we can complete in the CL next year. How about this for a window:

In:
CF (young, pacey) - £15m
Carasco - £30m
A young CM - £15m
A decent CB - £20m

Out:
Bentaleb - £16m
Sissoko - £20m
Njie - £10m
GKN - £10m (I like him but we would have Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Carasco, Son and Edwards for the 3 positions behind the CF)
Fazio - £4m
Vorm - free

Net spend: £20m
Why would you get shot of Vorm?

Probably applying the logic of us having Lopez here now which is reasonable and sensible you would say
Just means going through the getting to know you stage again. I don't have any problem with Vorm, I don't think you can expect a back up to be better and not want away.

We are certainly missing a Mane/Sane type player, would satisfy the need to bolster up top also. Just not sure who fits the bill on the market.

Why would you get shot of Vorm?

Simply because Lopez has played a full season in La Liga, Spain U-23 international and generally talked about as a long-term first choice for us. I obviously haven't seen him play that much however after effectively doing nothing bar training this year, I cant see him accepting that for a second year given it wont help his career. So either he's good enough to be a number 2, in which case Vorm goes, or he's not and we don't take up the option to sign him - I'm assuming the former case. We don't need 3 senior keepers

We are certainly missing a Mane/Sane type player, would satisfy the need to bolster up top also. Just not sure who fits the bill on the market.

Agree with that, and if we could fine the next Mane, it would be ideal as he could play behind Kane/Janssen as well as being an option up top. Difficult for us amateurs to spot 'the next' anyone though, unless you don't have a job / family commitments / life etc

Isn't Son becoming that player? His goal/assist record is virtually identical to Mane's now.

You are right but and he only has to make a few tweaks to his game to reach that level.

Mane has faults to his game as does son but I think son is technically better.

Perhaps try to find a player that can do a little bit of son and a bit of Eriksen .... I know this is not FM!

We are in good shape in terms of first the 11 and pretty good in terms of squad players. The squad certainly doesn't need major surgery but you still need to improve the squad in every window, that is unless we think this squad is CL winning material (and it may be :eek:). We do not have the finances to compete with City, Chelsea or Utd but we are not shopping in the same market as them anyway. We are buying the potential, the flawed, or the unknown superstars with the odd splurge thrown in. Last years splurge hasn't worked out but you win some, you lose some. Wanyama has been an unmitigated success, Sissoko less so.

A couple of rising stars and a more expensive gamble is probably our lot.

This summer is a pretty key window for us with all the building work/stadium move stuff but also because Liverpool/City and Arsenal need such a vast amount of work that we can, if we make the right signings, really capitalise in the short-medium term over the next 2-3 seasons. Throw into that Chelsea potentially selling Hazard which will leave them weaker imo whoever they replace him with and we can potentially win the title if we settle down at Wembley.

Having a player with the star quality like Hazard would immediately make us a favourite of sorts to win the title but I don't think we can afford anyone straight up like that.

For me, Lacazette would be the perfect signing for us given his contract situation (2 years left) and his adaptability from playing as a wide forward to a centre forward. His record is pretty decent overall and that is a close as you will get to being certain someone has got the eye for goal when signing them.

Max Meyer would be another signing, (1 year left) who would be great given his age at 21 fitting in with our ethos and someone who can learn from and deputise for Eriksen without a real drop off in quality.

For a little bit of unpredictability I would have a list of Zaha, Demarai Gray and Christian Pulisic. All very quick, skilful and with an ability to beat players. Zaha and Pulisic would be big money which would probably be unlikely unless signing a Lacazette didn't happen. Demarai Gray would probably represent the best value when taking into account cost versus potential and I would be very happy with him as a signing.

So, three signings in - Lacazette, Gray and Meyer and in terms of departures I don't think I would look to ship anyone out specifically except maybe Sissoko if someone offered a reasonable sum fairly near to what we paid.

Throw in Winks and Lamela returning from injury and I think those signings would give us a great shot of winning the title. Whether they are achievable or not is another thing but I don't think collectively those three players would break the bank, especially taking into account the money to be received from Fazio and Bentaleb and any potential deal for N'jie.

With lamella and Winks returning ... we only need to replace sissoko, njie, nkoudou, and potentially Janssen (grey area).

Sissoko and Janssens replacements should be players that are putting in strong claims to be in the starting XI.

The rest can be players with massive potential that could raise a few eyebrows. Unless of course we have some youth players that Poch feels that could break into the squad.

With lamella and Winks returning ... we only need to replace sissoko, njie, nkoudou, and potentially Janssen (grey area).

Sissoko and Janssens replacements should be players that are putting in strong claims to be in the starting XI.

The rest can be players with massive potential that could raise a few eyebrows. Unless of course we have some youth players that Poch feels that could break into the squad.

I know Janssen hasn't hit the ground running, but he is showing improvement.

There seems to be a received-wisdom that we can just get another player who will automatically be better, will want to come as back up that we can afford.

I'd rather keeping investing in a player that had shown the right attitude, some glimpses of quality and who deserves to be given a decent opportunity.

To carry on with the player churn is a risk, and it's not like we're short of goals across the forward line.

Sissoko is a different kettle of fish. If Lamela comes back fit and raring to go, I'd move Sissoko on.

I think we should change as little as possible to our squad, assuming that Lamela will return the same player he was last season. The balance in the squad right now is more important than anything we could buy. Also if you look at the level of our former fringe player Tom Carroll now that he's playing regularly, and the problems Janssen has faced (until March), it will be so difficult to find someone new who can really help the squad. I would sell Sissoko, but I would be reluctant to buy and I would give all the others (Wimmer, NKoudou) at least another year.

Back