• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

I think that he wants a variety of options. Barkley is strong and can run with the ball. That provides a different option to others who behind the striker.

Agreed - and particularly one that can best fulfill Eriksen's role in the team when he is not there.

Agreed - and particularly one that can best fulfill Eriksen's role in the team when he is not there.

But that isn't Eriksen's role in the team. As others have said, i think that you are mistaking role and position.

Should have gone for him over sissoko in the summer

I said it at the time that his transfer was the best business IMO

I were surprised we missed him too. Seems a Levy buy at the £11m Southampton paid for him. He has been more than decent this season. He's the perfect understudy for Eriksen. Surrounded by better players I'm sure he'd be good for us.

How does being strong and good at running with the ball help cover Eriksen's role in the team?

You haven't mentioned his other qualities. Passing range, delivery from dead balls, chance and assist record, ability to beat a man, unlock defences etc etc . Furthermore, he is young, English and Premiership tested. He is the heartbeat of the Everton team, much as Eriksen is in ours. You persist with thinking Lamela can play this role. I don't.

But that isn't Eriksen's role in the team. As others have said, i think that you are mistaking role and position.

And you want Mason back ! Seriously, who do you think would best offer cover/ competition to Eriksen?

I were surprised we missed him too. Seems a Levy buy at the £11m Southampton paid for him. He has been more than decent this season. He's the perfect understudy for Eriksen. Surrounded by better players I'm sure he'd be good for us.

Very good player
Young and hungry too and for me would relish the step up
Has real pace too but seems to be playing more with his brain this season so has improved from his Norwich days

And you want Mason back ! Seriously, who do you think would best offer cover/ competition to Eriksen?

No i don't, that was a brainfart. I would use Winks to cover the playmaker role out of our current options. I don't think that Barkley is better than Winks at the parts of Eriksen's game that we would most miss in his absence.

No i don't, that was a brainfart. I would use Winks to cover the playmaker role out of our current options. I don't think that Barkley is better than Winks at the parts of Eriksen's game that we would most miss in his absence.

Winks is a great shout actually. Could play as one the two in front of the defense or in the three.

Very good player
Young and hungry too and for me would relish the step up
Has real pace too but seems to be playing more with his brain this season so has improved from his Norwich days

Wasn't he stuck out on the wings when playing for Norwich?

He was bought in to be Lallana's replacement in the free role behind the striker. He's adapted his game very well. Clever player as you say.

Wasn't he stuck out on the wings when playing for Norwich?

He was bought in to be Lallana's replacement in the free role behind the striker. He's adapted his game very well. Clever player as you say.

Yeah he was Aaron Lennon mk2

Now he plays more like a number 10 and is a better all round player

He has added goals too

If we paid £30m for him it wouldn't be unreasonable with the new inflated transfer fees

You haven't mentioned his other qualities. Passing range, delivery from dead balls, chance and assist record, ability to beat a man, unlock defences etc etc . Furthermore, he is young, English and Premiership tested. He is the heartbeat of the Everton team, much as Eriksen is in ours. You persist with thinking Lamela can play this role. I don't.

the issue is you're making a similar argument for Barkley being Eriksens cover as i am for Lamela yet you don't accept Lamela can play that role despite him showing as much in our team in the areas required as Barkley has for Everton - Barkley hasnt had as prolific a season as Lamela in terms of chances created or assists (unless he ends this season with a flurry) and he rarely dominates games through the middle or dictates play the way Eriksen does and thats despite him often occupying the position on the pitch that Eriksen plays and where you would expect a player to dominate and dictate - with Lamela he hasnt had a chance to occupy the central position in absence of Eriksen (in the way Barkley has) and yet he is still racks up better chances created and assists numbers (than Barkley) - so im sure you can see why i think that given the chance and played in a position where he can get on the ball more in those areas he will be more than capable than a player who does get on to the ball in those areas and yet doesn't do as much as him.

Last edited:
the issue is you're making a similar argument for Barkley being Eriksens cover as i am for Lamela yet you don't accept Lamela can play that role despite him showing as much in our team in the areas required as Barkley has for Everton - Barkley hasnt had as prolific a season as Lamela in terms of chances created or assists (unless he ends this season with a flurry) and he rarely dominates games through the middle or dictates play the way Eriksen does and thats despite him often occupying the position on the pitch that Eriksen plays and where you would expect a player to dominate and dictate - with Lamela he hasnt had a chance to occupy the central position in absence of Eriksen (in the way Barkley has) and yet he is still racks up better chances created and assists numbers (than Barkley) - so im sure you can see why i think that given the chance and played in a position where he can get on the ball more in those areas he will be more than capable.

Lamella can play Eriskens position IMO however in genuinely concerned about his injury record and his recent injury and the case of the missing argie

I wouldn't be surprised if he was off to a new mega rich Italian team this summer for very good money (they make a statement and we make a profit).

But I'd also argue that your doing Barkley a disservice. I've seen him dominate games and I've seen him disappear (same as lamella to be fair). What I haven't seen with Barkley is him okay with other players as talented as him and that's the gamble/choice we make of we want him. Would Barkley shine more with better players. I'd say yes as he is technically a good footballer so it's a natural assumption but that's for the club to decide

What hasn't been mentioned is why would Barkley come here to be a sub.... that's his big decision

Lamella can play Eriskens position IMO however in genuinely concerned about his injury record and his recent injury and the case of the missing argie

I wouldn't be surprised if he was off to a new mega rich Italian team this summer for very good money (they make a statement and we make a profit).

But I'd also argue that your doing Barkley a disservice. I've seen him dominate games and I've seen him disappear (same as lamella to be fair). What I haven't seen with Barkley is him okay with other players as talented as him and that's the gamble/choice we make of we want him. Would Barkley shine more with better players. I'd say yes as he is technically a good footballer so it's a natural assumption but that's for the club to decide

What hasn't been mentioned is why would Barkley come here to be a sub.... that's his big decision

I'm open to Barkley joining and think that he could be a useful addition to the squad. I just don't recognise the player that @Pirate55 describes or how he thinks he'd be used.

injury record is a concern @Bedfordspurs but from the stands that's not a call we can make - if it is seen as a problem then he will be moved on and the whole issue is moot.

similarly to the 'having not seen Barkley play with better players' line of thinking, we have not seen Lamela occupy the central playmaker role (other than v weaker opposition in cup games, where he generally done well) so its equally arguable that given the chance there he could thrive also, whilst having the bonus of saving us big money in the transfer market - we also know he more than matches Eriksens work rate (a key component of a Poch team) which would be a big question mark, in my mind, over Barkley - if he is expected to up his work rate will that reduce his 'effectiveness' on the ball...

Who does run games like Eriksen does, who would be prepared to come and be his understudy at a figure and salary we could afford?

Milo, Billy and Bullet - Name names please. Barclay is likely to be the best we could get for this role.

marcus-edwards-of-tottenham-hotspurs-kit-in-the-changing-room-before-picture-id633794376

One can dream :D

Back