• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Levy's not stupid. He will want to put himself in a no lose situation. Parker he was VERY reluctant to buy. VDV was a no brainer because he was cheap.

1) Manager is successful. Firing the Manager would be a bad political and PR move. So he has to wait until a downswing in the Manager's fortunes to wield the axe.
2) The squad is decent, so he can hold back on the purse strings and not commit massive investment whilst expecting the Manager to still achieve a high level of performance.
3) The Manager does maintain the status quo, but due to lack of investment it seems we aren't moving forwards. The fans get edgey and start to be critical of the Manager. The media pick up on this and join the bandwagon. Now all of a sudden the Manager's stock isn't so high.
4) If the Manager is still successful despite points 2 & 3 Chairman is hailed as a genius for achieving success whilst keeping the side financially secure. He can also go to the Manager and say "I told you so, we don't need to invest to be successful so we won't be investing heavily this year either". If the Manager fails? The Chairman can get rid. Basically a no lose situation for the Chairman. Either way he keeps face with the fans and the media.

If you really believe all that i kinda feel sorry for you..

If you really believe all that i kinda feel sorry for you..

I believe it's entirely possible. Levy is no saint, he has proven that in the past. I also believe that he set Jol up to fail too, and Hoddle. One thing I've heard about Levy is that his ego is massive and he doesn't like to be challenged. Once challenged, you're history. It's just a matter of time....

After Redknapp saved us from relegation. We invested heavily in that first January transfer window. Since then, we haven't.
I suspect that is a significant reason why we haven't appeared to have invested so much. That year's expenditure on purchases and wages was extravagant and may have affected our future dealings, with the club openly attempting to offload since then. Our collective wages have also been steadily on the increase (perhaps due to our success) giving us more reason to be prudent.

But what do we know?!

I suspect that is a significant reason why we haven't appeared to have invested so much. That year's expenditure on purchases and wages was extravagant and may have affected our future dealings, with the club openly attempting to offload since then. Our collective wages have also been steadily on the increase (perhaps due to our success) giving us more reason to be prudent.

But what do we know?!

I think a lot of it is down to prudence. We sell big, we spend big. No co-incidence there. We haven't sold big since Berbatov and Keane. We spent fairly big that first January because we had funds left over from those sales. Since then we have had no big sales, so we've made no big purchases.

But I also believe that if Levy had a Manager he believed in, in charge, then he would take a few more risks just like he did at the beginning of Comolli's reign. He trusted Comolli and gave him the money to spend.

I think a lot of it is down to prudence. We sell big, we spend big. No co-incidence there. We haven't sold big since Berbatov and Keane. We spent fairly big that first January because we had funds left over from those sales. Since then we have had no big sales, so we've made no big purchases.

But I also believe that if Levy had a Manager he believed in, in charge, then he would take a few more risks just like he did at the beginning of Comolli's reign. He trusted Comolli and gave him the money to spend.
Perhaps the amount invested under Comolli also influenced our prudence? Who knows?!

We are in a different position now, as Redknapp has alluded to - with it being more difficult and expensive to attract the few top-level players, as opposed to those on the up, that Redknapp says we need.

We could loan a goalkeeper, but not Pletikosa, cause he said joining Spurs was one of the worst decisions of his life.
Doubt he'd return. And when it comes to Jenas, it's worth pointing out that we wanted to sell him last summer, we managed to do the next best thing - we loaned him out for the whole season. Aston Villa has paid his wages even after he got injured.

I find myself asking whether there's been an ex-player of ours in about the last 20 years who has done anything but slag the club off after they've left. The only one I can think of offhand who's had a good word to say about us is Freund. Oh, and Ginola, I suppose.

Last edited:
I find myself asking whether there's been an ex-player of ours in about the last 20 years who has done anything but slag the club off after they've left. The only one I can think of offhand who's had a good word to say about us is Freund. Oh, and Ginola, I suppose.

Maybe because good comments don't get reported.

I'd guess there are dozens of players that have good things to say about there time at Tottenham.

I do wonder what the transfer strategy has been for the last 3 windows. It may be the stadium which I can understand, and partly the belief that we were certain to get top4 considering where we were during the last window. But the lack of activity has cost us as injuries and pressure has kicked-in imo, and now we are most likely to be in a very difficult situation in the summer with our best players having options elsewhere if we don't get CL football. How we have not dealt with CB and RW weaknesses I'll never know. No good Harry simply saying 'I asked for Tevez' because that is more about shifting the blame somewhere else. My concern is Ade leaving, Defoe no longer happy, only Saha and VDV as main strikers (former is pointless imo), having to find a: GK, at least 2 CBs, RB cover, RW options and possible Bale and Modric replacements. Not good at all.

Last edited:
The problem is the sort of strikers we need to improve us tend to cost an absolute fortune, or demand too high wages to want to join. We need to unearth a gem, or take a punt on a striker who was good once but has lost stock due to poor form. The problem with relying on that strategy is that you may have to go through a few poor players before the gem is unearthed or the good striker may not ever reclaim that form or be as good as people thought he was.

It would appear that we've made some large bids for strikers (Rossi, Leandro, Tevez etc) but I don't believe they were ever realistic targets for us with our wage structure. I am not once for conspiracy theories, but I genuinely do believe Levy wanted Redknapp out years ago and has intentionally undermined him over the last two years in the transfer market.

this is true, and spending that fortune also doesn't guarantee goals.

see Torres, Carroll and even arguably Suarez (who's return, until yesterday, has been fairly meagre considering the fee) for evidence.

the amount of times i see 'if we'd have signed player X we'd have definitely got 3rd / 4th / (whatever)...' as if it's as simple as that. it's not.

however, if we sign Llorente, we'll definitely get CL next year.

Its going to get harder and harder to get into the top 4 each season going forward..

Id say City, United have 2 spots pretty much sewn up, that leaves 2 spots for Arsenal, Chelsea, Us, Liverpool, and maybe Everton / Saudi Sportswashing Machine to fight over..

Its going to get harder and harder to get into the top 4 each season going forward..

Id say City, United have 2 spots pretty much sewn up, that leaves 2 spots for Arsenal, Chelsea, Us, Liverpool, and maybe Everton / Saudi Sportswashing Machine to fight over..

True - but hard to predict what will happen to Utd in 2 or 3 seasons time when Fergie goes (as he has to at some stage). Chelsea if they win the CL - will Roman keep pumping money in or will the Fair Play Finance things kick in. Arsenal have to be coming to the end of the Wenger era ..... and were kept afloat to a large extent by one player (RVP) this season. It is going to be a battle but there are a number of big questions on the horizon for a number of our competitors (as there are obviously for us).

I'd say City and Chelsea have two spots sewn up personally. Or at least should have.....

I'd say City and Chelsea have two spots sewn up personally. Or at least should have.....

I think City and United have it sewn with Chelsea sewing up place 3 if they make a couple of correct signings for next season. Marin is a very good capture who will grow in that side. A front 3 of Mata - Torres - Marin combined with Essien, Ramires and Lampard is a very good midfield/attack to my mind. Plus with the likes of Meireles waiting to step in, they will have a decent 11 and bench.

The key thing for me with Chelsea is Drogba. He is still so good and could be valuable for a couple of years but I think they need to get used to the idea of changing the way they play and that starts with the main forward they use. As good as he is, I think for the longer term good and to get the best from Torres they need to allow Drogba to leave so Torres can get regular game time whilst also allowing the the team to adapt to a change in style if not formation.

Maybe because good comments don't get reported.

I'd guess there are dozens of players that have good things to say about there time at Tottenham.

The negative always makes news unfortunately.

Possibly, although you always seem to be hearing quotes from ex-arse players like Henry about how great they are and how wonderful their time with them was. Maybe it's just the players that end up going abroad, and it can be explained by the inherent bias in the fact the English media are always fishing for compliments about domestic clubs and the English game from foreign sources.

Last edited:
Potentially 13m for Gio:ross::ross::ross::ross:

i'd say a lot of that would be based on his excellent performances at international level. he really is (still) a talented prospect.

he's still young and i believe would tear it up in italy or spain.

Back