• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

No all money has been put aside until Redknapp leaves and a new manager comes in. The funding of the stadium is separate from the transfer budget.

We can still get CL if we stop failing in the league, Saudi Sportswashing Machine put it back in our hands today. If somehow we are in the CL next season, we will have 40 million from CL, 10-15 million from FA comp for Redknapp and backroom staff, and probably 40 million from the sale of Modric. We will have plenty of force in the transfer window.

If we miss out on CL, it looks more grim, but we still have ~20 million Europa potential revenue, 10-15 million from Redknapp going, 40 million for Modric, and we won't have to pay our players the bonuses in their contracts for CL which is substantial.

I was lead to belive that the 40m from champs league went on bonuses for players and higher wages for that season, redknapp got 1m for getting us out the group stages, also for the legal work into the ground bid and clearing the site and complusory purchase orders. If your talking about next seasons champs league money i would imagine the players contracts would kick in again and they would be on higher wages for the year, also we do not know how far we would go or if we would get past the qualifier into the group section.

Redknapp is reported to be on wages of 5m a year, with a year left on his contract why would the F.A. GIVE US 10-15M compensation.

I think our best bet to raise money is through player sales, yes modric who really we should seeing as we turned down 40m last year and he has a long contract be able to get 40m plus for but also squad players like alnwick, gomes, corluka, bassong, dos santos, jenas, piennar, bentley, krancjar maybe and then retire saha, king, nelsen we should save money on wages and bring in a little for a new manager.

I'm convinced all our money has been ploughed into the Stadium fund. I would go as far to say that our Summer incomings will be governed our outgoings with nothing extra added.

Nail on head, we have spent a lot less the last couple of years, i can think of no club that has spent a lot of money on a stadium that has not had to tighten their belts. Honestly think with creative use of the transfer market we should be able to reinforce with money made by player sales, will just take a manager with some confidence.

Also i am convinced that as a club our overall debt stood at 50m, i have had this conversation with a few people and they seem to think that as that was kinked to the trainning ground it did not count as debt. Well as someone who use to run their own businesss(locksmith franchise) whether a debt is linked to an asset or not is not relevant it is still a debt which requires servicing.

The is a guy swiss something who writes good blogs on clubs finances i would be interested to see what he thinks we are paying in interest each year??? i do not think we are poor and levy is running that side of the business well. But it may seem strange i would be annoyed if we went out and spent 40-50m net this summer.

Think we should only buy from the money that we receive from players leaving as well as promoting from within, caulker, naughton, livermore to play a bigger role no need for jenas i like townsend and think he is good enough as a back up for bale. Rumours that this pritchard kid is ok so it time we had him as a back up to lennon instead of 3m a year bentley, only way we will find out if he is good enough is to give him a chance. Possibly button as 3rd goalkeeper ahead of gomes on 60,000 a week or 3m a year.

The is money in the squad that if we are careful with we could use through transfer fees and lower wages, also hopefully redknapps 5m wages a year will be gone and we can have a manager on 2 or 3m a year. I would imagine we could lower the wage bill quite a lot this summer.

I think our best bet to raise money is through player sales, yes modric who really we should seeing as we turned down 40m last year and he has a long contract be able to get 40m plus for but also squad players like alnwick, gomes, corluka, bassong, dos santos, jenas, piennar, bentley, krancjar maybe and then retire saha, king, nelsen we should save money on wages and bring in a little for a new manager.

Leaving us two strikers short (if ade leaves), a creative mid short, backup for both wings short, a keeper only here for a year and a defender or two short...

And that's without retiring Gallas, who i assume you missed out...

We may have spare wages and cash to spend, but I can't see that working out well for us. We need two strikers, yet we've failed to address this striker issue for almost two years now..

Nail on head, we have spent a lot less the last couple of years, i can think of no club that has spent a lot of money on a stadium that has not had to tighten their belts. Honestly think with creative use of the transfer market we should be able to reinforce with money made by player sales, will just take a manager with some confidence.

Also i am convinced that as a club our overall debt stood at 50m, i have had this conversation with a few people and they seem to think that as that was kinked to the trainning ground it did not count as debt. Well as someone who use to run their own businesss(locksmith franchise) whether a debt is linked to an asset or not is not relevant it is still a debt which requires servicing.

The is a guy swiss something who writes good blogs on clubs finances i would be interested to see what he thinks we are paying in interest each year??? i do not think we are poor and levy is running that side of the business well. But it may seem strange i would be annoyed if we went out and spent 40-50m net this summer.

Think we should only buy from the money that we receive from players leaving as well as promoting from within, caulker, naughton, livermore to play a bigger role no need for jenas i like townsend and think he is good enough as a back up for bale. Rumours that this pritchard kid is ok so it time we had him as a back up to lennon instead of 3m a year bentley, only way we will find out if he is good enough is to give him a chance. Possibly button as 3rd goalkeeper ahead of gomes on 60,000 a week or 3m a year.

The is money in the squad that if we are careful with we could use through transfer fees and lower wages, also hopefully redknapps 5m wages a year will be gone and we can have a manager on 2 or 3m a year. I would imagine we could lower the wage bill quite a lot this summer.

Spot on for me

Need to keep Modric and Bale as we wouldnt be able to attract players of the same calibre given our wage structure.

I also think a lot of people over-estimate how much our rejects will generate in proceeds. We really wont get much for players like Bentley, Jenas, Gio etc. The upside though is that these guys along with some of the older players like King, Gallas, Cudicini etc are probably on decent salaries so when they leave it should free up cash for wages

ooh, his latest one is about the finance gains of the europa/champions league. It's quite a good read.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/champions-league-revenue-final.html

Leaving us two strikers short (if ade leaves), a creative mid short, backup for both wings short, a keeper only here for a year and a defender or two short...

We may have spare wages and cash to spend, but I can't see that working out well for us. We need two strikers, yet we've failed to address this striker issue for almost two years now..

Gallas has 12 months on his contract i see no reason why he would want to retire early so we would have to pay money to get him to retire, it may sound good in our lists that we all like to do to say gallas retire but if he has a contract he will not lose out on a couple of million and retire early i just do not see that.

As for the back up for the wings i would have townsend in, i think he can step up, i place faith in him. Maybe he would take easing in like livermore did but i think he could be good enough and might if we gave him time become very good. Personally i think he can become another ashley young if he gets enough game time to continue to improve.

On the other wing i would go for Holiett from blackburn who has shown he has pace and a good cross and can perform in the prem so not a massive risk and not on massive wages. Then the is the option of actually doing some scouting work and bringing in someone from europe, allfrey (spelling, barca lad) on loan. Think it more important we have players who are similar styles so the team has a style of play to fall back on in bad spells.

I imagine ade will leave so yes we will be 2 strikers short but that has us being short sighted over the last few seasons because we are in my opinon lacking upfront. I would not be totally against vdv leaving as i do not feel his is fit enough for english football and we do not play fluid enough with him in the team. If you sold vdv and brought in dembele who has a year left on his contract i do not think we would be in a worse position.

I would like to see us put some of the money we could raise towards to good strikers if we can actually convince them to come here. Or maybe one good striker and 2 others. I understand it is a lot to change in one summer and could backfire but we have left the striker position stagnate the last couple of seasons.

I may lose some people here but next season i would not mind if our strikers were, Llorente(or player of similar quality) dembele, defoe and then a player many would possibly not like but a harrier someone like a shane long or rickie lambert or grant holt. I think a strike force like that would compliment each other and last a season and we could use different players for different types of opposition.

Worth noting that everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine managed to find strikers from around europe in january that have done a good job for them, the future is not all doom and gloom the players are out there we just need to have confidence in our scouts.

Last edited:
Need to keep Modric and Bale as we wouldnt be able to attract players of the same calibre given our wage structure.

I also think a lot of people over-estimate how much our rejects will generate in proceeds. We really wont get much for players like Bentley, Jenas, Gio etc. The upside though is that these guys along with some of the older players like King, Gallas, Cudicini etc are probably on decent salaries so when they leave it should free up cash for wages

Yep i agree with people over estimating how much we will get for players, i can not see anyone spending over 2m on bentley which when you consider how much we paid for him is a little shocking, but go round the prem look at the clubs, a lot don't have much money anyway but whould buy him?? he has been awful for 3 years and failed on loans. Maybe southampton coming up would take a punt on him to supply crosses to lambert but how much would they really spend for him?

Getting players off the wage bill is important, how many games did gomes play this season on 3m a year, we could have had that croat on loan again for less then half the wages. Livermore can do whatever jenas does that i know for sure with every fibre of my being.

how many games did gomes play this season on 3m a year, we could have had that croat on loan again for less then half the wages. Livermore can do whatever jenas does that i know for sure with every fibre of my being.

We could loan a goalkeeper, but not Pletikosa, cause he said joining Spurs was one of the worst decisions of his life.
Doubt he'd return. And when it comes to Jenas, it's worth pointing out that we wanted to sell him last summer, we managed to do the next best thing - we loaned him out for the whole season. Aston Villa has paid his wages even after he got injured.

We could loan a goalkeeper, but not Pletikosa, cause he said joining Spurs was one of the worst decisions of his life.
Doubt he'd return. And when it comes to Jenas, it's worth pointing out that we wanted to sell him last summer, we managed to do the next best thing - we loaned him out for the whole season. Aston Villa has paid his wages even after he got injured.

However we also tried to sell him Bentley and Gio and werent able to....and I cant believe that there will be more takers for those three this summer compared to last

However we also tried to sell him Bentley and Gio and werent able to....and I cant believe that there will be more takers for those three this summer compared to last

I blame levy for not selling gio as the was interest in him, something levy's fan boys cover up when they say what an excellent chairman he is. Because we wasted wages on him for a year and we will not get what sevilla were offering last year. Should have sold pav a year sooner.

I know we have struggled selling our squad players but while it is great to get a good price for players sometimes it is better to cut your loses, for example in the real world what do you think we could get for bentley? i can not see more then a couple of million and even that would suprise me. But do you think levy would except that? im not sure he would where as i think it just best to get rid of him now regardless of how much we "lose" on him.

I did not know that about Pletikosa but im sure there are others around we could do the same with. It was a good deal getting villa to pay his wages for the season with jenas but i wonder what value we have placed on jenas with levy i feel we over price players which is why we have struggled moving players on, not something you ever hear from levys fans.

The problem is the sort of strikers we need to improve us tend to cost an absolute fortune, or demand too high wages to want to join. We need to unearth a gem, or take a punt on a striker who was good once but has lost stock due to poor form. The problem with relying on that strategy is that you may have to go through a few poor players before the gem is unearthed or the good striker may not ever reclaim that form or be as good as people thought he was.

It would appear that we've made some large bids for strikers (Rossi, Leandro, Tevez etc) but I don't believe they were ever realistic targets for us with our wage structure. I am not once for conspiracy theories, but I genuinely do believe Levy wanted Redknapp out years ago and has intentionally undermined him over the last two years in the transfer market.

It would appear that we've made some large bids for strikers (Rossi, Leandro, Tevez etc) but I don't believe they were ever realistic targets for us with our wage structure. I am not once for conspiracy theories, but I genuinely do believe Levy wanted Redknapp out years ago and has intentionally undermined him over the last two years in the transfer market.

Yeah, damn levy for getting vdv in!.. And Scott Parker? how could that be anything but an attempt by Levy to undermine Redknapp, i mean it's not as if he was the pfa player of the year or anything.

I'm not sure i've read a more idiotic paragraph on this site. If Levy truly wanted Redknapp out, he would have been sacked. Why would Levy waste more money then it would take to sack Redknapp on players to get Redknapp sacked?

I'm convinced all our money has been ploughed into the Stadium fund. I would go as far to say that our Summer incomings will be governed our outgoings with nothing extra added.

20,000 extra seats x ?ú40 each = Ôé¼800,000 x 20 games per season = Ôé¼16m x 25 seasons = Ôé¼400m.

That is a pretty conservative view of gate receipts (I've only allowed for 20 games per season, and not allowed for any other matchday revenue like merchandising or beer sales from those extra seats). Over 25 years of a "mortgage", the entire stadium is close on self-funding out of gate receipts alone based on simple sums as above (the reality is obviously a lot more complex!).

In this context, I'm really not sure that a few tens of millions here and there in transfer dealings should really be effected.

If PSG payed ?ú40mill for Pastore then we could quite easily get around ?ú45-?ú50mill for Modric and proving we get CL; Add ?ú30mill onto that and sign a couple of good players.

Yeah, damn levy for getting vdv in!.. And Scott Parker? how could that be anything but an attempt by Levy to undermine Redknapp, i mean it's not as if he was the pfa player of the year or anything.

I'm not sure i've read a more idiotic paragraph on this site. If Levy truly wanted Redknapp out, he would have been sacked. Why would Levy waste more money then it would take to sack Redknapp on players to get Redknapp sacked?

Levy's not stupid. He will want to put himself in a no lose situation. Parker he was VERY reluctant to buy. VDV was a no brainer because he was cheap.

1) Manager is successful. Firing the Manager would be a bad political and PR move. So he has to wait until a downswing in the Manager's fortunes to wield the axe.
2) The squad is decent, so he can hold back on the purse strings and not commit massive investment whilst expecting the Manager to still achieve a high level of performance.
3) The Manager does maintain the status quo, but due to lack of investment it seems we aren't moving forwards. The fans get edgey and start to be critical of the Manager. The media pick up on this and join the bandwagon. Now all of a sudden the Manager's stock isn't so high.
4) If the Manager is still successful despite points 2 & 3 Chairman is hailed as a genius for achieving success whilst keeping the side financially secure. He can also go to the Manager and say "I told you so, we don't need to invest to be successful so we won't be investing heavily this year either". If the Manager fails? The Chairman can get rid. Basically a no lose situation for the Chairman. Either way he keeps face with the fans and the media.

After Redknapp saved us from relegation. We invested heavily in that first January transfer window. Since then, we haven't. Even when we finished 4th we didn't commit to improve the squad much. Then with the CL revenue, we didn't plough it back into the playing squad.

It is my belief that Levy has been keeping the purse strings tight for the last three years because

a) The new stadium
b) He won't invest in a playing squad being managed by a manager he really doesn't want there

Back