• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has hinted at his future transfer policy in the London Evening Standard.

The Tottenham boss has suggested that he will never sign a player if he doesn’t feel they can come forward and offer an improvement on the players already in his academy system.

“If we have in the talent in the academy, we need to give the opportunity. Why find players outside the club?” said the boss.

“We won’t give opportunities to those we don’t believe have the potential to play in the first team, but if they do, I prefer to give them the chance. For me, there are many players here who have that potential.”

Like the sound of that.

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has hinted at his future transfer policy in the London Evening Standard.

The Tottenham boss has suggested that he will never sign a player if he doesn’t feel they can come forward and offer an improvement on the players already in his academy system.

“If we have in the talent in the academy, we need to give the opportunity. Why find players outside the club?” said the boss.

“We won’t give opportunities to those we don’t believe have the potential to play in the first team, but if they do, I prefer to give them the chance. For me, there are many players here who have that potential.”

Sounds good. We just need to supplement what we have with a few quality signings in key positions,

I missed the Capoue to Real Sociedad on loan rumour the other day. Would be better if they could just buy him. He's probably on of the first on my 'can go' list.

:eek:k: top man......

Exactly why Pochettino is endearing himself to the fans. I think we were all left a little disillusioned after we supposedly squandered a large amount of money on signings. The thrill of signings seems to have worn off and there is so much more in seeing an academy product make the grade.

Exactly why Pochettino is endearing himself to the fans. I think we were all left a little disillusioned after we supposedly squandered a large amount of money on signings. The thrill of signings seems to have worn off and there is so much more in seeing an academy product make the grade.

Agreed. And also makes a lot of sense along with the long new contract for Mason, and the faith Poch has shown to youngster like Mason, Bentaleb and Kane as well as higher profile, but still young players like Lamela and Rose.

No point in having an academy/development squad if you're never going to trust those players to step up.

Might take some time, and patience is often hard to come by in the footballing world. But continuing to develop the players from our academy/development squad is a pretty good way to "punch above our weight" imo.

I would suggest that it is easier to do this if you are very much engraining a system of play that doesn't deviate too much.

You'll need the odd special player but many others are workers (still talented) that can be swapped in and out of the side with little affect. These types do not need to be £20million pound signings. (ref A.Madrid, Bilbao)

And young lads who can see a pathway to the first team will hopefully have a burning desire to listen, learn and execute the 'ways of the Poch'

How refreshing.... Would be brilliant to get to a place where we use our (very good) academy to produce a large part of our squad and we can then spend our transfer funds on the odd one or two very special players. I think following this policy would mean continuing our policy of picking up talented 16-18 year olds from around the World however. Baldini is therefore also key to making this work.

Bravo to Pochettino :eek:k::eek:k:

now.. Instead of spending 20m on the next maybe.. Hopefully Paul Mitchell will go around offering decent deals to the best 16-17 year olds in the land.. i.e like Liverpool signing Sterling, or when we took the Sheffield pair... even Lennon.

Please recall Pritchard and get rid of Ade

How refreshing.... Would be brilliant to get to a place where we use our (very good) academy to produce a large part of our squad and we can then spend our transfer funds on the odd one or two very special players. I think following this policy would mean continuing our policy of picking up talented 16-18 year olds from around the World however. Baldini is therefore also key to making this work.

Last summer's signings of Azzaoui, Lazar and Yahaya were encouraging in this respect

It would be nice if we could see some top defenders come through from the academy and develop a real home grown spine to the team. But I guess it's a lot easier said than done though... I mean Caulker was player of the year at almost everywhere he went on loan and yet he still didn't quite make the grade so it would take a real special player to make it to the first team.

*Just remembered Mason had many failed loans so my point is not really valid ;)

Agree, but would be nice if they were British. Better sell prospect if they are on the edges and don't just make it to the starting squad.

The Academy is overwhelmingly English (73%).

Of the U21s, 15 are English and 6 foreign

Of the 2nd years, 9 are English and 2 foreign

Of the 1st years, 8 are English and 4 foreign

The Academy is overwhelmingly English (73%).

Of the U21s, 15 are English and 6 foreign

Of the 2nd years, 9 are English and 2 foreign

Of the 1st years, 8 are English and 4 foreign

I want them all British. Thinking about it the above names you gave could be British. My nievity showing somewhat. Must get out of that habit of assuming they aren't British.

This will lead to an interesting situation going forward, I think. On the one hand, we'll all celebrate when a Spurs lad becomes an established first-team regular: however, we'll also see those same lads sold for large amounts of money. When that happens, replacing that lad with another academy player will mean a tremendous profit generated overall.

Now, there is absolutely no chance that we'll spend that profit on first-choice players that Poch wants (although we'll probably couch it in terms of 'our first choice targets were unavailable' to make it seem less like a cop-out to the fans), so we'll probably see bigger profits in the windows going forward, should we transition to a youth team-based recruitment system. So it will be an interesting situation , to see what new and no doubt innovative methods Levy will come up with to justify not spending that money, and whether the fans will accept those methods. Wenger got away with it, but he (and Arsenal's board) still ended up with an awful lot of anger directed at them for the profits and years of stagnation from 2006 onwards: this despite Wenger being the most successful manager in L'****'s history, and **** regularly being in the CL during that period. Somehow, I doubt Levy with his one League Cup and his Saha+Nelsen antics will get quite as much leeway.

Sounds good. We just need to supplement what we have with a few quality signings in key positions,

One lives in hope, I suppose. Realistically, however, our best chance is that our academy contains many more Kanes and Masons: luckily, I think it does.

whatever your opinion on Levy Dubai, surely you can see that we generally break even on transfer deals - so with that in mind i don't understand that fear of selling a big name youth product and banking the cash as it doesn't tie in with what we have seen in the past. go back to when the club was turning over more money than it was spending we always had a negative net transfer spend each season which would bring our overall net spend as a business to more or less breaking even. so if we're going to base opinions on what has gone before you would have to come to the conclusion that in the future any big sale would see the money reinvested in the squad (or other areas of the club) - otherwise you'd be predicting that Levy would do something he has never done before...

Back