• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Mourinho, not much of a player, nor Wenger, any influence as a manager?

Without continually listing examples, a team embodies its manager, no?

In which case we are a Frankenstein's monster of AVB, Sherwood and Poch.

Manchester United plan to beat Arsenal to the signing of Borussia Dortmund and Germany centre-back Mats Hummels, 25, in a £47m deal next summer. (Daily Star)

Emirates Marketing Project are tracking Juventus' Switzerland international defender Stephan Lichtsteiner, 30, and could let 21-year-old Matija Nastasic go the opposite way. (Manchester Evening News)

Real Madrid want Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, 27, rather than Spain international David de Gea, 24, who will stay at Manchester United. (Daily Express)

Arsenal are among the clubs interested in signing Saudi Sportswashing Machine's England Under-20 winger Rolando Aarons, 19. (Daily Star)

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet is among those contemplating a January move for Galatasaray's Portuguese forward Bruma, 20, when the transfer window re-opens in January. (Northern Echo)

Manchester United and Arsenal want to sign Italian forward Alessio Cerci, 27, who is surplus to requirements at Atletico Madrid despite only signing for the La Liga champions from Torino last summer. (Daily Express)

Liverpool defender Glen Johnson, 30, has applied to knock down his Surrey mansion and build a new one complete with staff suite, leading some to speculate he may be returning south when his contract expires at the end of the season. (The Sun - subscription required)

Other reports suggest Johnson is set to quit Anfield in the summer after being offered a new two-year deal on half of his £120,000 a week wages. (Daily Mirror)

Reading have been given the option to buy Crystal Palace striker Glenn Murray when his loan period ends on January, but it is being reported that promotion hopefuls Derby are preparing a £3.5m offer for the 31-year-old. (Croydon Advertiser)

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is set to be fit to face Arsenal on Saturday after recovering well from a dislocated finger sustained on international duty with Spain. (Daily Mail)

Wigan are set to interview Malky Mackay about their managerial vacancy, despite an on-going investigation by the Football Association into alleged misconduct by the former Cardiff boss. (Daily Telegraph)

Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor is determined not to be forced out of White Hart Lane if, as has been reported, Spurs look to sell the 30-year-old Togo international in January. (Daily Telegraph)

Everton manager Roberto Martinez believes midfielder Gareth Barry, 33, could still be playing for England. ( Liverpool Echo )

Police arrested at least a dozen senior figures in French football amid separate inquiries into allegations of match-fixing and fraud and among the deals reportedly under scrutiny are the sale by Marseilles of Samir Nasri to Arsenal in 2008 and of Didier Drogba to Chelsea in 2004. (The Times - subscription required)

Manchester United's Angel Di Maria hopes to be fit to face Arsenal on Saturday after needing an X-ray on a foot injury sustained in Argentina's defeat against Portugal at Old Trafford. (The Guardian)

A Standard Sport poll has revealed nearly 70% of Tottenham fans would be put off going to see them play if the club followed through with a proposed moved to Milton Keynes while they are building their new stadium next to White Hart Lane. (Evening Standard)

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson is a fitness doubt for Sunday's trip to Crystal Palace after picking up a minor hamstring injury on international duty which kept him out of England's win in Scotland. (Liverpool Echo)

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward insists the club are still keen to promote their own players, despite spending over £150m on overseas talent this season. (Manchester Evening News)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine boss Alan Pardew is set to tone down training to avoid any more self-inflicted injuries. (The Sun - subscription required)

Mourinho, not much of a player, nor Wenger, any influence as a manager?

Without continually listing examples, a team embodies its manager, no?

The best coaches were never normally great players. The best coaches understand how to maximise limited players, because it was how they earned their living. Great players like Hoddle can never understand why limited players just can't do everything.

The best coaches were never normally great players. The best coaches understand how to maximise limited players, because it was how they earned their living. Great players like Hoddle can never understand why limited players just can't do everything.

I don't agree with that GB, it's certainly correct in some cases but I don't think it's the majority, if you look at a list of European cup
winning managers many of them were very successful players as well.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_winning_managers

I don't agree with that GB, it's certainly correct in some cases but I don't think it's the majority, if you look at a list of European cup
winning managers many of them were very successful players as well.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_winning_managers

Not many outstanding players (although Ancelotti was pretty handy). Cruyff is the main exception that comes to mind for me.

Many may have been components in good teams, but they were generally more workhorse players (Bill Nich and Alf Ramsey from our '51 side for example).

There are several exceptional players who had success as coaches but who I think were more the beneficiary of circumstances than any particular coaching ability - Rijkaard or Dalglish for instance, even arguably Beckenbauer.

Real Madrid want Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, 27, rather than Spain international David de Gea, 24, who will stay at Manchester United. (Daily Express)

Only a matter of time before this appeared I suppose.

But only because we have more of what Real want than other clubs.

I'd rather we have what they want than not have what they want!

Exactly, I would rather have two years of watching a top player and him moving on than not good enough/tempremental players that no-one wants..

With regards to Lloris leaving. I'd hate to see him go, but wouldn't panic too much as I think in Vorm we have a decent keeper who could step into the #1 jersey. Whilst he's not as quick off his line as Lloris, he knows how to use his feet well and has proven to be an agile shot stopper when required. Not as good as Lloris but good enough for us all the same.

With regards to Lloris leaving. I'd hate to see him go, but wouldn't panic too much as I think in Vorm we have a decent keeper who could step into the #1 jersey. Whilst he's not as quick off his line as Lloris, he knows how to use his feet well and has proven to be an agile shot stopper when required. Not as good as Lloris but good enough for us all the same.

Having a world class GK like Lloris probably earns us 5-10 points a season over a good GK like Vorm. We'll miss him as much as Modric or Bale.

Having a world class GK like Lloris probably earns us 5-10 points a season over a good GK like Vorm.

From what I've seen this season I'd say thats a conservative estimate. Of course, if we become a much better team, esp. defensively, then the loss could be negated some. And scoring more goals ourselves would also help pursuant to. As for Vorm, I get why we signed him, but it remains to be seen whether he would be our 1st choice keeper long term, or whether we even viewed him as that. The question of 'Is he a Top4 player?' comes to mind, and one which has been cast at a few of our other players... towards the beginning of the season anyway.;)

Last edited:
Back