• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Two signings I would make in January Rickie Lambert and Curtis Davies.

Lambert knows POCH system and would add spirit and power upfront and isnt getting any games at Liverpool. I know he's a Liverpool fan but the lad isnt getting games. Curtis Davies is very vocal and although maybe not a great defender he would organise our defence and would be great in the dressing room.

I know they are not hollywood signings but right now we need some characters (**** I sound like Harry) players that dont go hiding we our far to soft a team.

Lambert knows POCH system and would add spirit and power upfront and isnt getting any games at Liverpool. I know he's a Liverpool fan but the lad isnt getting games. Curtis Davies is very vocal and although maybe not a great defender he would organise our defence and would be great in the dressing room.

I know they are not hollywood signings but right now we need some characters (**** I sound like Harry) players that dont go hiding we our far to soft a team.

Haven't seen enough of Curtis Davies in recent seasons to comment on him, but I definitely agree on Rickie Lambert. I have a feeling he will try to wait it out at Liverpool, boyhood club and all that. If he's available though I think he would make a fine signing for us and with him and Kane we would have a perfect backup and someone Kane could learn from whilst having the pressure off a bit.

I'm pretty sure that Curtis Davies is a Spurs fan as well. I too would be happy with him at the club. That is the sort of character we need (and the exact reasion why we should've been all ove Lescott in the Summer)

However if we were only to make one single signing in January I would like it to be Nigel De Jong.... Get rid of Capoue by name Capoue by nature and stick De Jong in there and straight away I think we'd be a better team. I say this because his defensive positioning is so much better. Not only that though but he is the type of horrible, nasty ******* that we need.

I see our team currently and I don't think I see a single player who is really hurting when we lose, I don't see a single player who is still thinking about that defeat when he gets home on Sunday night, I don't see a single player who would do anything to win, I don't see a single player who would happily kick (e.g.) Nacer Chadli in training on Tuesday because on the Sunday he couldn't be bothered to run 10 yards to close down a player or bottled tackles. Until we get that sort of player (and personally I think we need more than just one) then we will continue to get beaten at home regularly by teams of the calibre of West Brom, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke. Because it is "OK to do so".

Am I missing something when I read that deJong, Milner and Reid would not walk in our teams and be amongst our best players? We have bought a lot of dross and all of those are class acts and have proven it in the Prem (Reid May be a little more of a risk but he has been quality for 2 years now).

Instead we should try to buy Moreno - yet another player with no knowledge of this league and who also is small for the premier league? We need to get more prem experience and a winning mentality if possible. That should be our number one priority

Am I missing something when I read that deJong, Milner and Reid would not walk in our teams and be amongst our best players? We have bought a lot of dross and all of those are class acts and have proven it in the Prem (Reid May be a little more of a risk but he has been quality for 2 years now).

Instead we should try to buy Moreno - yet another player with no knowledge of this league and who also is small for the premier league? We need to get more prem experience and a winning mentality if possible. That should be our number one priority

Got it in one.... I think it's mainly just the 'foreign is better no matter what' phalanx who have this view however. Perhaps it is a case of the unknown potentially having a higher upside?... The problem is that they don't always consider the downside.

Italian media claim Juventus will offer Sebastian Giovinco to Tottenham in a January exchange for Erik Lamela.

English papers including the People on Sunday have claimed Juve, Inter and even his former club Roma are interested in bringing Lamela back to Serie A.

According to Sport Mediaset, the Bianconeri have an extra card up their sleeve that could solve two problems in one fell swoop.

It’s reported Juventus could hand over Giovinco to Spurs in a January swap deal for Argentina international Lamela.

Giovinco is out of contract at the end of the season and negotiations for a renewal have hit a brick wall, as he is unhappy at the lack of playing time.

If Juventus were to include him in the move for Lamela, they’d resolve that issue and have a ready-made replacement as part of the deal.

The Atomic Ant has also been linked with Premier League sides Arsenal and Chelsea in recent months.

“We had contact with Giovinco’s agent to see if it’s possible to renew on our terms. If we do, good, otherwise... Giovinco has to tell us what he wants,” said general manager Beppe Marotta this week.

http://www.football-italia.net/58788/giovinco-lamela-exchange

Southampton will ask Tottenham Hotpsur to include Andros Townsend or Harry Kane in any deal for Jay Rodriguez.

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino wants to sign Rodriguez in January as he looks to bolster his misfiring strike force.

The Saints want to keep hold of the England international - who hasn’t played since April due to a serious knee injury - and have offered the former Burnley forward an improved five-year deal to stay.

But Rodriguez is yet to put pen to paper, casting doubt on his future at St Mary’s

He has just 18 months left on his deal and, despite wanting to keep the 25-year-old, the Saints are aware of the fact that he could agree a free transfer away from the club in a little more than 12 months time.

Spurs will test Southampton’s resolve to keep Rodriguez when the transfer window re-opens in January.

But manager Ronald Koeman wants the White Hart Lane club to include Townsend or Kane in any deal which would see Rodriguez move to London.

Koeman was interested in Townsend in the summer, and has been impressed by Kane’s performances so far this season.

Townsend is among the players Pochettino is willing to part with in January, but the Argentine is unlikely to listen to offers for Kane given his lack of options in attack.

Kane is the club’s top scorer in all competitions this season with nine goals, though his lack of game time in the Premier League has raised question marks over his role in Pochettino’s plans.

Southampton will take a similar approach should Spurs revive their interest in midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin; insisting on Townsend or Kane be part of any deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2838478/Harry-Kane-Andros-Townsend-demanded-Southampton-Tottenham-want-sign-Jay-Rodriguez-January.html

Italian media claim Juventus will offer Sebastian Giovinco to Tottenham in a January exchange for Erik Lamela.

English papers including the People on Sunday have claimed Juve, Inter and even his former club Roma are interested in bringing Lamela back to Serie A.

According to Sport Mediaset, the Bianconeri have an extra card up their sleeve that could solve two problems in one fell swoop.

It’s reported Juventus could hand over Giovinco to Spurs in a January swap deal for Argentina international Lamela.

Giovinco is out of contract at the end of the season and negotiations for a renewal have hit a brick wall, as he is unhappy at the lack of playing time.

If Juventus were to include him in the move for Lamela, they’d resolve that issue and have a ready-made replacement as part of the deal.

The Atomic Ant has also been linked with Premier League sides Arsenal and Chelsea in recent months.

“We had contact with Giovinco’s agent to see if it’s possible to renew on our terms. If we do, good, otherwise... Giovinco has to tell us what he wants,” said general manager Beppe Marotta this week.

Southampton will ask Tottenham Hotpsur to include Andros Townsend or Harry Kane in any deal for Jay Rodriguez.

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino wants to sign Rodriguez in January as he looks to bolster his misfiring strike force.

The Saints want to keep hold of the England international - who hasn’t played since April due to a serious knee injury - and have offered the former Burnley forward an improved five-year deal to stay.

But Rodriguez is yet to put pen to paper, casting doubt on his future at St Mary’s

He has just 18 months left on his deal and, despite wanting to keep the 25-year-old, the Saints are aware of the fact that he could agree a free transfer away from the club in a little more than 12 months time.

Spurs will test Southampton’s resolve to keep Rodriguez when the transfer window re-opens in January.

But manager Ronald Koeman wants the White Hart Lane club to include Townsend or Kane in any deal which would see Rodriguez move to London.

Koeman was interested in Townsend in the summer, and has been impressed by Kane’s performances so far this season.

Townsend is among the players Pochettino is willing to part with in January, but the Argentine is unlikely to listen to offers for Kane given his lack of options in attack.

Kane is the club’s top scorer in all competitions this season with nine goals, though his lack of game time in the Premier League has raised question marks over his role in Pochettino’s plans.

Southampton will take a similar approach should Spurs revive their interest in midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin; insisting on Townsend or Kane be part of any deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2838478/Harry-Kane-Andros-Townsend-demanded-Southampton-Tottenham-want-sign-Jay-Rodriguez-January.html

Ho ho ho. Ha Ha Ha.

The Mail article was already straining credibility until it got to the final, clearly tacked on line: then it just gave up.

Indian spur - you seem to be implying that Bosmans equate to rich pickings for 'wheeler dealers' or small clubs..... IMO most of those players would improve us instantly - we should be moving in and getting deals done asap

No, of course we should be in there grabbing some of that talent. In a way, we are not a big big club that can turn their nose up at a few free transfers, we cannot afford the large transfer fee and salary packages that top transfers demand.

Arsenal are weighing up £5m move for Croatia international Marcelo Brozovic, 21, after scouting the Dinamo Zagreb midfielder during their Euro 2016 qualifier against Italy. (Daily Mirror)

The Gunners are also interested Sevilla's £24m-rated Poland midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak but face competition from Inter Milan and Borussia Dortmund for the 24-year-old's signature. (Daily Express)

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has no intention of letting Germany striker Lukas Podolski, 29, leave in the January transfer window. (Bein Sports)

Crystal Palace and Sunderland are tracking the progress of 24-year-old Senegal international Stephane Badji, who has a £600,000 release club with Norwegian club SK Brann. (Daily Mail)

Bayern Munich are expecting to receive a January bid for Swiss playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri, 23, with Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham among those interested. (Daily Star)

Napoli boss Rafael Benitez has ruled out a January move for Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli, 24, calling it a "hypothesis that I have never considered". (Liverpool Echo)

Emirates Marketing Project midfielder George Evans, 19, is training at Blackpool ahead of a possible loan move to Bloomfield Road. (Sky Sports)

Liverpool and Arsenal face competition from Dynamo Moscow for 28-year-old Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac, who is out of contract next summer. (Talksport)

England striker Wayne Rooney has ordered his team-mates not to be scared of Scotland in their friendly at Celtic Park. (Daily Star)

Manchester United are facing an injury crisis with 10 first-team players set to be unavailable for Saturday's clash with Arsenal. (Independent)

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has warned Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas and striker Diego Costa that their places in the national team are not guaranteed following their absence from the latest squad through injury . (The Times - subscription required)

Manchester United are considering a post-season tour of the Far East or India as the club prepares to shed light on the financial cost of missing out on the Champions League with the release of quarterly figures for the opening months of this campaign. (Daily Telegraph)

Former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has hinted strongly he will leave Italian club Napoli at the end of the season to rejoin his family on Merseyside, fuelling speculation of a possible Anfield return . (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli is expected to be available for their trip to Crystal Palace on Sunday despite pulling out of the Italy squad with a hamstring injury. (Guardian)

Jack Wheelchair posted a picture on his Instagram of his England team-mates closely huddled together on a bus to their aeroplane ahead of their flight to Glasgow for the friendly with Scotland with the message "Glasgow here we come! @alexoxchamberlain @chambers1995 @nathaniel_clyne #Welbz #Hendo".

Belgium international Dries Mertens has given an encouraging bulletin on his health after he was knocked out in his side's clash with Wales on Sunday. The forward posted a picture of himself on his Twitter account giving the thumbs up from his hospital bed.

An England fan's experience of their 3-1 win over Slovenia at Wembley last week was ruined after his view was blocked by a butler delivering 16-inch hot dogs to fellow supporters

we need a couple of nasty snarling little cheats imo, a bit more bite in the side, Mason seems to be the only one capable of it

That is an absolute classic..... In January Juventus are going to offer us a player in exchange for Lamela, but that player is one that we could talk to in January and agree a free transfer move for the Summer.

I see our team currently and I don't think I see a single player who is really hurting when we lose, I don't see a single player who is still thinking about that defeat when he gets home on Sunday night, I don't see a single player who would do anything to win, I don't see a single player who would happily kick (e.g.) Nacer Chadli in training on Tuesday because on the Sunday he couldn't be bothered to run 10 yards to close down a player or bottled tackles. Until we get that sort of player (and personally I think we need more than just one) then we will continue to get beaten at home regularly by teams of the calibre of West Brom, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke. Because it is "OK to do so".

This falls squarely on the manager, any manager. Its not practical or realistic to fix such things in a window. A manager is tasked with fixing attitudes, motivating, man management, get their buy in, winning them over, getting the best out of them, getting them to play hard, etc. Its in the job description. Would the same player attitude exist here under some other managers? I don't think so.

Last edited:
This falls squarely on the manager, any manager. Its not practical or realistic to fix such things in a window. A manager is tasked with fixing attitudes, motivating, man management, get their buy in, winning them over, getting the best out of them, getting them to play hard, etc. Its in the job description. Would the same player attitude exist here under some other managers? I don't think so.

I'm not sure about this. Harry spoke about our dressing room when he first arrived at Spurs. I remember him saying that is was a quiet dressing room and it lacked characters. One of Redknapp's reasons for getting Robbie Keane back was to improve the character of the dressing room. Sherwood also touched upon this in a few interviews, he spoke specifically about the players being too nice and specifically too nice to each other and also about there being a lack of will to win. I think that this isn't necessarily something that can be taught or built into players by the manager, I think it is something that instead has to come from within the team itself.

Sometimes just a single player can be the trigger, a player that will give a rocket to his teammates both on and off the pitch, a player that lives the values he preaches, a player that the rest of the squad respect and are also actually scared of. I guarantee that if Roy Keane was playing for Spurs you wouldn't see Adebayor standing offside or Chadli standing there instead of running 5 yards to closedown a player or Paulinho bottling a tackle, or Capoue ambling around instead of sprinting to get goalside.

I'm not sure about this. Harry spoke about our dressing room when he first arrived at Spurs. I remember him saying that is was a quiet dressing room and it lacked characters. One of Redknapp's reasons for getting Robbie Keane back was to improve the character of the dressing room. Sherwood also touched upon this in a few interviews, he spoke specifically about the players being too nice and specifically too nice to each other and also about there being a lack of will to win. I think that this isn't necessarily something that can be taught or built into players by the manager, I think it is something that instead has to come from within the team itself.

Sometimes just a single player can be the trigger, a player that will give a rocket to his teammates both on and off the pitch, a player that lives the values he preaches, a player that the rest of the squad respect and are also actually scared of. I guarantee that if Roy Keane was playing for Spurs you wouldn't see Adebayor standing offside or Chadli standing there instead of running 5 yards to closedown a player or Paulinho bottling a tackle, or Capoue ambling around instead of sprinting to get goalside.

What if Roy Keane was our manager? I'm not advocating he should be, but you don't think it would
have some of the same affect?

What if Pullis came here? (Again, not advocating it).

Hard for me to accept that players attitudes can't be affected or influenced by the guy coaching/teaching them.

Last edited:
Different dynamics. If the boss is a bully all will cower because of his power. That's why Keane has and will always fail as a manager. He will never earn the trust of a dressing room.

But a Keane on the pitch, different dynamic altogether. That's why he was the best at what he did as a player, with an entire career of crap haircuts to boot. Untouchable.

Different dynamics. If the boss is a bully all will cower because of his power. That's why Keane has and will always fail as a manager. He will never earn the trust of a dressing room.

But a Keane on the pitch, different dynamic altogether. That's why he was the best at what he did as a player, with an entire career of crap haircuts to boot. Untouchable.

Mourinho, not much of a player, nor Wenger, any influence as a manager?

Without continually listing examples, a team embodies its manager, no?

Last edited:
Back