• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United OMT ***

Dembele has been brilliant

I always felt he had no future any deeper than the top-end of the pitch...not only has he been brilliant there, today he excelled from the deeper of the two positions. His attitude and appetite looks nailed on, he is starting to score and I hold my hand up and say that as someone who thought he was on his way, he quite clearly is only on his way to the next first-team meeting. Excellent again today, and further proof of Poch's management and meritocracy! I love being proven wrong so emphatically!

I was thinking watching that that this is probably the best Spurs team that I have ever seen. We've had better players in the past but this is the most complete unit.

I still think the 81/82 side was the best I have personally ever seen but yes, agreed, really excellent and certainly the best overall squad (for me) since the 80s days of Burky and Shreevsy...

We are very good right now. That was a joy to watch. Not thinking about anything on table position. Just enjoying us and our beautiful organic machine. Well oiled. Together. Synched.

Love you Poch.

This.
I knew he was the man, I knew he would get us back to where we should be, but I thought what is happening THIS season would be happening NEXT season...this is so much fun...

Great win today and great performance but let's not get carried away lads, even though the league is very open I think it's premature to talk about the title. Top 4 however is very, very achievable.

I loved how we learnt our lesson from scum away and really killed them off, even at 4-0 we were hungry for more goals.

Yeah, I'm a little bit worried that we have no appearant substitute for Kane. Toby (or Verthongen for that matter) is a part of a duo, so we would certainly miss it if we lost one of them. But I remember how we fell apart when Modric broke his leg, not to mention how toothless we became when we lost Bale. Even with Bale we struggled to break teams down if they didn't open up to counter attacks, banging against the wall and how dependant we were on that little special to win games. For me at least, we apparently had very little structure and seemingly no system, give the ball to Modric/Bale and they will take care of it. Our greatest threat were our midfield. This team I feel builds the attacks up a different way with more people involved, we are not as static (I remember with dread the lack of movement up front from Adebayor, Keane et al), we have several great passers and everybody is involved in a way we haven't had for long. We are even a threat on set pieces!

But I don't disagree very much, according to many we were the most exciting team to watch in the entire PL at the time! I only think that we might be a tiny little bit more "complete" now, and we will only get better.

Edit: To put it another way, we may have had better players back then, but we have a better team now. IMHO.

Have a like. :) The way I remember it, we came storming out of the gates in nearly every match we played (in the league, anyway): if teams weathered that monstrous first twenty to twenty-five minutes, then we started to flag and huff-and-puff as we searched for a breakthrough. I agree that such a strategy was inevitably a limited one (and it wasn't a 'system', per se: more just a collection of footballers given the freedom to play), but it worked well enough until injuries, stupid transfers and Harry's flirtations with the FA started to take their toll. And, when it worked...that 5-0 against Saudi Sportswashing Machine after Harry's court case was a textbook example of how thoroughly we dominated the game, how relentlessly we pressed, how technically stunning we were. A donkey like Saha managed two goals in that game, and Ade was imperious, set up by Modric and co. The movement there was magnificent: I remember Benny getting his goal in particular, because there were white shirts everywhere on that counter, streaming into the box and simply outnumbering Saudi Sportswashing Machine's ragged defenders as Benny went free at the back post.

The interim with AVB (and the somewhat mechanical, grinding football he served up, despite his obvious talents), I think, has dimmed our memories of what was a truly fantastic side. I agree that we have a better structure and system now, and I love the movement and passing triangles we display every game (along with our gegenpressing, of course) and our newly deadly set-pieces (although Eriksen and Lamela are largely to thank for that, I suspect): but that side in 11/12 was just phenomenally good. King, Kaboul (in-his-prime Kaboul), Modric, Parker, Bale, Lennon, VdV, Ade....and Friedel was't bad either. ;)

Agree. Totally avoidable.

It could that Lamela will come back in and Eriken plays at 10 with Son wide. Dier and Dembele holding.

Possibly. Or Mason could come in, Eriksen could stay out wide along with one of Son/Lamela and we could keep the Dier/Dembele pairing.

One thing's for sure, we need to play Dembele: he was a monster against Chelsea last time, and irrespective of his current good form, he should always be picked against a Mourinho side (his habit of holding on to the ball in impossible circumstances is anathema to Mourinho's 'sit deep, nick it off them and break' style).

I still think the 81/82 side was the best I have personally ever seen but yes, agreed, really excellent and certainly the best overall squad (for me) since the 80s days of Burky and Shreevsy...

I'm a bit too young to remember that side.

But he is a pussy and backs out of challenges where as Mason, Alli, Lamela don't.

He makes my pants sticky. Stop worrying about what he doesn't do and celebrate what he does. This is a really good team that we have got here, we are defensively strong, Eriksen is no passenger and we will continue to improve.

He makes my pants sticky. Stop worrying about what he doesn't do and celebrate what he does. This is a really good team that we have got here, we are defensively strong, Eriksen is no passenger and we will continue to improve.

i'm not saying he is a passenger but the reason we are so good is because of the work the midfield 3 of Dembele, Alli and Dier put in and the no nonsense tackling. We lose Alli which played the number 10 tonight which means if Lamela is back Eriksen plays number 10 with Lamela and Son either side. Eriksen is not as effective at winning the ball back that Alli is.

Hmmm....if you put it like that, it may well be right (although I will point out that, depth wise, we're still shorter than we'd like, and not much has changed from 2011/2012: we're screwed if we lose Toby or Kane, for example). But on form, that team utterly dominated games and ripped teams apart in a manner that this team still hasn't learned to mimic.
Most teams struggle when their best players are missing. Just look at City's record without Kompany/Silva. Even with all the spending on big players, they look very ordinary without one of them, and totally lost with both of them out.

What a day, what an atmosphere too, the mockery of their fans for pretty much 60 minutes was just brilliant

If we are ever to win the league it could be this year, especially if Levy gives Poch money in January to strengthen too, we can beat anybody and usually do

The future is bright, the future is lillywhite

Back