• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Swansea City ***

Townsend: "When I got a chance I was desperate to impress the manager. I think I did that today. I'm delighted. Manager told me to get on the ball & make an impact. Massive week, especially after last week. Great win."

It was telling to me that he was put on the right.
I felt AVB did that to make sure that if he got caught out, at least he would have the speed and (relative) experience of Walker to back him up. Went inside early, got dispossessed and Walker was there to stop a Swansea breakaway. From that point on he took his man on the outside whenever he could. Solid play from the lad and he won us some good free-kicks too. Glad for him.

It was telling to me that he was put on the right.
I felt AVB did that to make sure that if he got caught out, at least he would have the speed and (relative) experience of Walker to back him up. Went inside early, got dispossessed and Walker was there to stop a Swansea breakaway. From that point on he took his man on the outside whenever he could. Solid play from the lad and he won us some good free-kicks too. Glad for him.

I want to see him play in from of Bae.

Bae has the attributes to get far more out of Townsend than Walker will, whilst Townsend is nowhere near as technically gifted as Bale, he has the same direct play style that Bale used to play. Bae's passes over the top and through the players on that side would play to his strengths.

So how was the performance today ? Probably the first game I've missed (live or on tv/internet) for years. Looking at the stats on my phone I thought we might have put in a really good performance, but looking on here I get the feeling that might be a bit misleading. Hope it wasn't more of the same boring "pressed well but lack purpose and ideas in attack".

Bias people please dont respond.

So how was the performance today ? Probably the first game I've missed (live or on tv/internet) for years. Looking at the stats on my phone I thought we might have put in a really good performance, but looking on here I get the feeling that might be a bit misleading. Hope it wasn't more of the same boring "pressed well but lack purpose and ideas in attack".

So you don't want to know?

Anyone who thinks they are not bias is an idiot.

But hey, we stopped Swansea doing their thing in their own half, the pressing of our front players was very good. They didn't often get in behind us, but when the ball was played though Lloris was quickly onto it. Creatively however we were a bit lacking. Quite a number of the shots were from range.

But hey, we stopped Swansea doing their thing in their own half, the pressing of our front players was very good. They didn't often get in behind us, but when the ball was played though Lloris was quickly onto it. Creatively however we were a bit lacking. Quite a number of the shots were from range.

Seems quite a good summary. Certainly fits in with what I just saw on MOTD. Savage is just highlighting how well we pressed today.

As for the bias comment I made, I dont think everyone is bias at all. All you have to do is watch the game and call it how it was. However some people on here dont want any sort of negative comment made about our performance in case it looks bad for AVB (and i imagine the cause of this does go back to really wanting justification for getting rid of HR). Being fluent in attack seems to be a weaker area at the moment and it is AVBs job to fix it, personally I dont think it is good enough given the players we have but should we improve I'll be the first to give praise for it. No need to try and claim its not his fault or (in future if things improve) to pick fault where theres not much he can do (ie where we miss sitter after sitter but attacking play was generally good).

Last edited:
I guess, probably makes it a lot easier to hide any bias i might have that i only named one player. :p

Or it's just that he's the only player i like...

I think i'm thinking about this too much.

Home win (against a team that owned the Goons at the Emirates)
Clean sheet
Seemed to have a good outball in Townend in latter stages (from MOTD highlights)
Goalkeeper now to be feared (for his puched clearances)
Back in the Top 4
Chelsea lose

What's not to like \o/

COYS

I felt it was a combination of Swansea simply coming to contain and hit us on the break plus us doing a very good job taking care of the technical details and pressing well. In the first-half a 2-0 lead would not have flattered us at all, second-half we seemed to have even more possession but were certainly starting to run out of ideas until the excellent strike from Vertonghen. Good strength in the performance, and Lloris made a very brave decision to come off his line and meet Michu at the top of the box when the latter had sprung our offside/high-line. It was perhaps the clearest evidence yet as to why Lloris is the right sort of keeper for this system.

I felt it was a combination of Swansea simply coming to contain and hit us on the break plus us doing a very good job taking care of the technical details and pressing well. In the first-half a 2-0 lead would not have flattered us at all, second-half we seemed to have even more possession but were certainly starting to run out of ideas until the excellent strike from Vertonghen. Good strength in the performance, and Lloris made a very brave decision to come off his line and meet Michu at the top of the box when the latter had sprung our offside/high-line. It was perhaps the clearest evidence yet as to why Lloris is the right sort of keeper for this system.

THIS

swansea came to nullify - so their game plan worked to stop our attacks. they managed to sneak past our high back line a number of times throughout the match. but we loris and dembele there to help. up front, defoe and ade don't work...we were better off with 5 midfielders.

I thought we put in a very good performance, especially in the first half.

Not sure what those who are critical of that performance are expecting from us against good, well organized, hard working, Premiership teams. Swansea were only 3 points behind us going into this game, they are no push overs for sure. Are you guys expecting us to just show up and turn over teams in games like these?

We dominated just about every aspect of that game, we forced Swansea into last ditch tackles, blocks and deep (at times desperate) defending. A bit of good fortune, or rather just neutral fortune and we could have got the first goal a lot earlier. Of course this is the kind of game that we can also lose, we have lost a few of those in the past like most teams have, but that's football.

By comparison when Swansea beat scum 2-0 at their place not that long ago BBC stats have them down with more possession and slightly more shots both on and off target.

AVB got just about everything spot on today, our high pressure, Gallas and Naughton were both good, we kept Dyer, Michu and De Guzman quiet.

I thought we put in a very good performance, especially in the first half.

Not sure what those who are critical of that performance are expecting from us against good, well organized, hard working, Premiership teams. Swansea were only 3 points behind us going into this game, they are no push overs for sure. Are you guys expecting us to just show up and turn over teams in games like these?

We dominated just about every aspect of that game, we forced Swansea into last ditch tackles, blocks and deep (at times desperate) defending. A bit of good fortune, or rather just neutral fortune and we could have got the first goal a lot earlier. Of course this is the kind of game that we can also lose, we have lost a few of those in the past like most teams have, but that's football.

By comparison when Swansea beat scum 2-0 at their place not that long ago BBC stats have them down with more possession and slightly more shots both on and off target.

AVB got just about everything spot on today, our high pressure, Gallas and Naughton were both good, we kept Dyer, Michu and De Guzman quiet.

I can't think of any other reason. This was as good as most of our dominant games in the last few seasons. Lots of shots, but not many clear cut chances. Defoe should have scored at least one though.

Tottenham's Hugo Lloris 'terrified' after clash with Swansea's Michu

A1432.jpg

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris admits he was 'terrified' after a heavy collision with Swansea's Michu on Sunday left the Spanish forward on the ground.

The France international accidentally clashed with the Swans' top scorer during Spurs' 1-0 win at White Hart Lane after coming off his goal-line to punch clear.

Michu initially lay motionless on the ground but was able to continue after being checked over.

Referee Mike Dean allowed play to go on during the incident and Andros Townsend almost scored a second for the hosts.

But Lloris was more concerned over his opponent, telling The Sun: "I was terrified when I saw him on the ground. I had to go for it and impose myself.

"I made the decision to punch and unfortunately there was a big collision."

The keeper added: "It's OK, he got up and it was more a fear than injury. I asked him several times, he said there's no problem."

Lloris' comments came after Swansea boss Michael Laudrup criticised referee Dean for allowing play to continue while Michu lay injured.

"I was very angry," Laudrup told Sky Sports. "I didn't ask for a free-kick or a penalty but if someone falls down like that, with a head injury, then there's only one thing to do - the referee has to blow the whistle.

"I looked at him when Michu goes down - the referee's watching him, the linesman's watching him and still they let the play carry on. That was poor refereeing.

"Michu seems okay, he's still a little (dazed). Luckily it wasn't serious so I'm happy about that but I'm still angry about the decision."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8338436/

Andre Villas-Boas admitted he had targeted Michael Laudrup’s Swans at the set-piece.

Swansea shipped two goals from free-kicks and corners last week in the defeat to Norwich while points dropped to Sunderland and Everton were also as a result of set-piece deliveries. Yesterday it was the turn of Jan Vertonghen to punish the visitors when he met a Kyle Walker free-kick to give Spurs victory.

“It was a difficult one to win but I think if one team was going to win, it was going to be us,” said Villas-Boas.

“We had lots of opportunities – 23 shots, the bigger share of possession – and we were very patient and persistent in what we were doing.

“Swansea, defensively, were very good and it was difficult to break them down, but we kept moving the ball well and we had so many opportunities and chances that it would have been extremely unfair to come out with a point from this game.

He continued: “At half-time I spoke to the players but could not say anything to them. They were excellent and persistent.

“We were having good opportunities but Swansea had good opportunities too with counter situations – they were very quick coming out.

“And at 0-0, the result is always uncertain but we kept going, kept believing and got the result we deserved.

“Vertonghen has been involved quite a lot and his presence in the air is tremendous and persistent. He scored a lot of goals for Ajax from set-piece situations and we knew that Swansea were among the teams who concede more from set plays.

“So we had a chance to break the lock in those situations and Jan managed to score.

“This season we have let in goals in the last few minutes of matches, but here the players showed the desire and ambition to put right a wrong and managed to hold on to the result.

“We addressed the situation among ourselves in training by stimulating concentration in the last part of training.

“It is very difficult, because you can’t recreate the stress of a game environment. But we had a go. It does not mean that the problem is solved, but the players are conscious we have conceded in the past and they want to get it right.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/swanseacityfc/swansea-city-fc/2012/12/17/91466-32440431/?

This was a moral boosting win. After the disappointing loss to Everton, we simply had to win this match. We could have won this match more comfortably but a win is a win. And keeping a clean sheet makes it all the more sweet. It has been a long long time since we won a match 1-0 like this ! Won't mind if we get more of these 1-0 wins if it means we get to keep a clean sheet !

Apart from the win, was really satisfied by our performance. We completely dominated the match from start to finish. The fact we had 29 shots on goal, compared to only 3 by Swansea shows how much we outplayed Swansea. It would have been nice if we had scored more goals but we were not clinical in front of goal. We should be more ruthless and clinical in front of goal. Fortunately for us, Vertonghen came up with the winning goal. Vertonghen really needed the goal and he came up with it at the right moment for us.

Was really disappointed with Defoe. He wasted 3 one-on-one chances and should have scored atleast one of them. It was like watching the old Defoe who used to waste those one-on-one chances at will. Thought Defoe has overcome that problem and looked sharper this season until this match. Whatever happened to Defoe in this match. Did he loss his goal scoring boot or something ? Or did Adebayor unsettle Defoe ? Hope Defoe gets back his goal scoring ways. Not impressed with Adebayor as well. Despite his dribbling skills, he didn't threathen the Swansea goal at all.

You have to be happy with the contribution with our midfield especially without Bale. I think we won this match due to the domination of our midfield combination of Dembele and Sandro. But wish Dembele and Lennon can score goals. We really need more goals from midfield. It was nice to see Parker returning from injury. Hopefully Parker can help us to keep more clean sheets.

Nice to see us returning to top 4 in the league. It always gives you a great feeling whenever we win matches. Hopefully we will go on a longer winning run now.

Most get their stats from OPTA. Don't know about BBC, but I find them to be highly unreliable on most things.

The fact we had 29 shots on goal, compared to only 3 by Swansea shows how much we outplayed Swansea.

Agreed with most of the comments, but to put things in perspective, the top 3 shots allowed in premier league this season were all allowed by Swansea (31 vs. Everton lost 0-3, 32 vs. Saudi Sportswashing Machine won 1-2 and 29 vs. Spurs lost 0-1).

Considering Swansea's game approach was to counter attack and defend in mass, I won't read too much into the shots allowed stats.

Seems quite a good summary. Certainly fits in with what I just saw on MOTD. Savage is just highlighting how well we pressed today.

As for the bias comment I made, I dont think everyone is bias at all.

If you have a bias you are biased.

so you're not a bias person, but a biased one.

(sorry for being a pedant, this is one of my many grammatical pet hates)

Back