• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Swansea City ***

Yes, I think Lloris commands his area in a way we've not seen from a Spurs goalkeeper for many a long year.

It's now just a matter of our defenders trusting him when he shouts for the ball - we've given a couple of goals away recently when they haven't.

The really top class goalkeepers rarely have to make spectacular saves, as they make the job easier for themselves by dealing with most threats before drastic action is needed.

Well said

Agreed. It's one reason why Friedel has been so under appreciated by the casual fan for so long. His positioning is some of the best I've seen from a keeper and the amount of easy saves he has to make or shots that are straight at him is not down to luck.

Fair comment, but if Friedel would actually come off his line and and deal with crosses and through balls, then he'd have a lot less saves to make, and that's why Hugo is a class above Brad.

What did people generally think of Townend's contribution? The little I saw on MOTD, he looked scary on the break, much more direct than Lennon even:eek:

He doesn't seem to have been used much by AVB compared to say Carroll; what do people think about this? Is AVB being patient with him or does he not fancy hum much?

He is a beast. Hope he gets a proper run out soon

does the Townsend substitution go someway to show some of you that AVB is a bit more flexible in his approach than you had initially feared?

also is the way we have been using Ade and Defoe since they have both been fit encouraging in that many thought he would be too rigid in sticking with a formation/tactic that doesn't particularly suit our players at the moment?

does the Townsend substitution go someway to show some of you that AVB is a bit more flexible in his approach than you had initially feared?

also is the way we have been using Ade and Defoe since they have both been fit encouraging in that many thought he would be too rigid in sticking with a formation/tactic that doesn't particularly suit our players at the moment?

Interesting question; would love to hear the thoughts of SUIYHA and Indianspur especially on this...

No. That didn't make me feel like he was flexible at all. It made me feel like he didn't really have any options off the bench when Adebayor got injured and had to come off.

And afaik i'm not in the 'Avb lacks flexibility' crowd..

I thought the whole sub bench was interesting. Only Caulker was a recognised defender and no recognised strikers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20656733

Good point and it shows just how stretched we were, and have been, and what a vital win it was. We had all our three strikers on the pitch, and all our three full backs.

Fast forward to Stoke and we have another defender, Dawson, another mid in Parker who could probably start the game if necessary and in a roundabout way replace one of the strikers, and probably another attacker Bale, who can more straightforwardly replace one of the three strikers if necessary. Fast forward a little more and we should definitely have Bale and finally another full back, BAE.

The bench should look stronger v Stoke, although if Ade is out, not by much. Stronger still by Villa, hopefully.

I'd be happy to see Rose come back to give us extra cover, but can see the arguments why he might not return.

Last edited:
I thought the whole sub bench was interesting. Only Caulker was a recognised defender and no recognised strikers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20656733

Yeah, the first thing it says is that a recognised striker should be a priority in jan.

The lack of defenders on the bench was more injury related, we had Hudd, parker and townsend to swap in for the midfield/wing but up front we are thread bare if we play two strikers.

Even if we play one as Ade might be injured at the moment.

A good win. It was nice to see us pushing higher up and taking the game to them after taking the lead.

One thing that frustrated me, and has done for sometime, is how we fail to work the ball into the square of the pitch from the corner flag to the edge of the box (and up along the 'touch' line).

You'll see manu and other teams create a triangle there. A striker or midfielder drops to the edge of the box and the winger and full back complete the triangle. You'll notice a big space in the corner when we play. But two or three defender stop Lennon from getting into that space, and all we are cable of to break the opposition down is an overlap. If a fast break, breakdowns, we can't pass the ball effectively to release Lennon into that space. When a team's sitting back, its so important to get in behind them.

Would have liked to see Ade get into the box or stay around the edge of the box more when were trying to break them down first half. When teams sit back, he needs to get in the mix where it matters most.

I dreamt the night before that Vertonghen scored (see the Verts thread posted in before the game) I could see his celebration : ) Precognition. So glads he plays for us.

Last edited:
A good win. It was nice to see us pushing higher up and taking the game to them after taking the lead.

One thing that frustrated me, and has done for sometime, is how we fail to work the ball into the square of the pitch from the corner flag to the edge of the box (and up along the 'touch' line).

You'll see manu and other teams create a triangle there. A striker or midfielder drops to the edge of the box and the winger and full back complete the triangle. You'll notice a big space in the corner when we play. But two or three defender stop Lennon from getting into that space, and all we are cable of to break the opposition down is an overlap. If a fast break, breakdowns, we can't pass the ball effectively to release Lennon into that space. When a team's sitting back, its so important to get in behind them.

Would have liked to see Ade get into the box or stay around the edge of the box more when were trying to break them down first half. When teams sit back, he needs to get in the mix where it matters most.

Man Utd have better players than us but you make a good point. However Swansea were excellent in defence but we still created a few chances. If Defoe had his shooting boots on we win by 2 or more.

Man Utd have better players than us but you make a good point. However Swansea were excellent in defence but we still created a few chances. If Defoe had his shooting boots on we win by 2 or more.

good strikers do that to pull defenders out of position too. when defoe does that he often lays off a useless sidepass to buy him time to set up in his favourite (but marked) position in the box, waiting for the perfect lay off.

Back