• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Sunderland OMT like ***

The stats you need to know
  • Sunderland have conceded 11 goals this season - only Chelsea have conceded more in the league.
  • They have gone eight league matches without a win (D4, L4).
  • Ryan Mason's goal was only his third for Tottenham in all competitions in 46 appearances.
  • Spurs' starting 11 had an average age of 24 years and 135 days, the youngest in the Premier League so far this season.

The stats you need to know
  • Sunderland have conceded 11 goals this season - only Chel53a have conceded more in the league.
  • They have gone eight league matches without a win (D4, L4).
  • Ryan Mason's goal was only his third for Tottenham in all competitions in 46 appearances.
  • Spurs' starting 11 had an average age of 24 years and 135 days, the youngest in the Premier League so far this season.

I actually thought Sunderland played very well! Kaboul and Defoe were great for Sunderand

And they won't play that well for the rest of the season imo

Yep, JD will have a decent streak somewhere in the season, but missing in others.

Kaboul having a good game was always a sucker bet, he was up for it, and mentally on, when he does that, he can be a commanding defender (actually intercepted a few dangerous passes for them)

A belated contribution.

Ryan Mason .... my favourite Spurs player !

From the start we weren't doing our high-line act, so we gave a strong impression of being under-rehearsed. There was the usual over-reliance of passing across and back from corners and forward play until we started again through Hugo. This must stop ... the Manager is the problem here, methinks.

They were positive, and JD was what we would expect/fear, joined by Lens making a potent combination. We were lucky with some decisions, lucky that sometimes they dived too obviously, and on one occasion lucky that JD stayed on his feet.

The referee was often wrong IMHO, but the crowd were working themselves ino a frenzy. Their frustration got to their players more than us or the referee. Another ref would have been more problematic for us.

Generally, I though our passing was better, but the sense of forard purpose got lost, notably (traditionally?) when close enough to shoot. As a youngster the value of of a toe punt (open play and penalties) was stressed, as the lack of back-lift was disarming to the keeper, the direction wasn't guaranteed, and it had more power. I do wish they would work on this, instead of looking to stroke/swerve/curl all day.

Many have mentioned the subs. I groaned when Lamella came on, but he and Townsend proceeded to shake things up. Not playing the usual style and looking for different lines. Perhaps having less cramped areas to work in helped. Manager please note.

The new boys didn't excel, but they weren't rubbish. The opposition were having to play route one, and had speed. No PL match is easy, the first away and needing a first win puts extra pressure on all.

Toby is growing on me, in part because Jan and he are getting the hang of each other. Walker is looking more muscle-bound than fleet, perhaps too much gym work while injured. At least he avoided the o.g. today.

Roll on Thursday. COYS

Strong resilient effort from a side gathering it's druthers...Dier, Mason excellent, Lamela lovely assist, Townsend very good off the bench and brought Chadli to life too with the switch of positions...Alli looked great...overall plenty of positives from a side still gelling...

Missed the 2nd half, anybody know where I could watch/download it ?

I wouldn't bother. At a push, I'd say the last 10 minutes was "worth " watching.
I'd say half of that was desperate defending.

I'm sure a lot of people will be more than happy we won today but it's just papered over some gaping chasms. We lacked creativity, penetration, control or any kind of leadership on the pitch.
We had the youngest average age this season and it showed. We've got no one that can control a game. No one that encourages the rest of the team. No one that feeds back to our one dimensional coach what's working and what's not.

This was Sunderland. fudging. Sunderland.
They're abysmal. And we didn't have a shot on target until after the hour mark and we were generally 2nd best.

Strong resilient effort from a side gathering it's druthers...Dier, Mason excellent, Lamela lovely assist, Townsend very good off the bench and brought Chadli to life too with the switch of positions...Alli looked great...overall plenty of positives from a side still gelling...

Can I get some of your happy pills? :D

I'm sure a lot of people will be more than happy we won today but it's just papered over some gaping chasms. We lacked creativity, penetration, control or any kind of leadership on the pitch.
Hate to see what you think / what you write on here when we lose.................First 3 points of the season, with 3 first choice midfielders missing due to injury, and some folk still want to moan....takes all sorts :)

No one deserved the goal more than Mason. Him, Dier and Jan were the standout performers.

Didn't really happen for Son but I think there were signs of something being there.

Great to see Townsend and Lamela making an impact from the bench and two consecutive clean sheets.

I wouldn't bother. At a push, I'd say the last 10 minutes was "worth " watching.
I'd say half of that was desperate defending.

We had the youngest average age this season and it showed. We've got no one that can control a game. No one that encourages the rest of the team. No one that feeds back to our one dimensional coach what's working and what's not.

This was Sunderland. fudgeing. Sunderland.
They're abysmal. And we didn't have a shot on target until after the hour mark and we were generally 2nd best.

Well, aren't you a barrel of sunshine?
I've seen more objective analysis on RAWK.

Good win. Really important because up until now despite the fact we'd not won, we looked confident and importantly the squad really listen and are on board with Pochettino's ideas. Had we lost those doubts start to creep in firstly from the "Spurs fans", then the media and eventually the players. So well done. Yes we got some luck but I think we deserved some after the last few games.

Mason was great today. Alli showed some nice touches and ideas. Dier did well.

I was made up that Lamela did well and Townsend absolutely changed things. That's the sort of impact you want. Would love Lamela to find some inspiration and finally capture some form in a Spurs shirt. COYS

Nice to finally get 3 points!

Positives from today;
Dier was boss.
Verts played well.
Mason & the goal in general.
Nice to see Poch subs actually have a positive affect.

Negatives.
Wastefulness
Chadli - see above
Kane - see above
Dealing with pace.
Son - was hoping for a little more. Townsend looked much brighter.
That was a negative? o_O

Always gonna be tricky when a home side decides to play on the counter.

But we have now had several seasons (two for Poch) to try and work out how to defeat this. The way we constantly go down the middle with only one striker and 2 DMs is certainly not the way to beat it imo. Hence, my dislike of the 4231 against sides that defend deep. It severely limits us and doesn't play to the strengths of our players - particularly the AMs. It was noticeable that we improved in the second half only because Sunderland could sense a victory and came out more.

Last three games we deserved the win and didn't get it. This one not so much and we did. I'm cool with that. :)

Mason is finally showing what I thought of him since I first saw him: great vision and movement. Really happy for him. I think in the latter part of last season he was a bit knackered and that impacted his performance. With a good pre-season and rested I think he can be our Pirlo (not be Pirlo, but play the same role and quite well too).

Dier sucked and should immediately be moved to RB. Seriously though, how good is this kid? Wherever he's played he does a pretty good job and it looks like DM is really his best position.

And Townsend? Wow. I hope he continues with performances like today. Don't know what made the difference, but whatever it is, he should continue smoking it.

Really looking forward to Palace, the Arse, and City!

5E7C7488-EABA-4CCF-94D1-40F20564FAE6_zpsvpztosck.jpg

Kaboul out of position. Midfielder not tracking the run. I guess it does happen to other teams as well.

Back