• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheriff Tiraspol OMT ***

Are we being let down by the system, or players namely today Defoe, Eriksen and Siggy not doing enough, or the simple things well? The directive to those players and Lamela is simple, make something happen. I feel they are just losing it too easy in and around the box. Well done Erik Lamela. Very very promising half.

Did you ever see Eriksen play when he was at Ajax? And I dont just mean in the mighty dutch league, but also in Europe for Ajax and at international level. The guy is class. Very like VdV, just 10 years younger. Holtby hasnt really ever done that much. Captained ze Germans U-21s I accept but ERiksen is more proven

I'm not disputing that Eriksen is a good player but I need to see more of him with us, than I've seen, before he becomes a threat to Holtby. Hopefully long term I'll be proven wrong and Eriksen will be fantastic for us and then I'll concede if he had become better than Holtby.

I guess we have a team of Jermaine Jenas' then. A lot of promise, but no end product. Sounds about right considering what a lot of people have moaned about but I have now seen Paulinho AND Dembele hailed as "jermaine jenas" now.

Dembele as Jermaine jenas? i don't see it at all.

Paulinho on the other hand =

* Both have bags of energy
*Both have the habit of getting forward and pose a threat to the opposition goal
* Both go completely missing for large parts of a game
* Both look completely lost when in possession of the ball and find it hard to pick the right pass.
* Both look far more comfortable when they're not in possession of the ball and are bursting forward.

Dembele as Jermaine jenas? i don't see it at all.

Paulinho on the other hand =

* Both have bags of energy
*Both have the habit of getting forward and pose a threat to the opposition goal
* Both go completely missing for large parts of a game
* Both look completely lost when in possession of the ball and find it hard to pick the right pass.

I saw alot of people compare Dembele to Jenas because he get into good positions and pass sideways, but atleast Jenas scored goals.

I'd go with:

...................Soldado....................
...Kane..........Eriksen.........Lamela...
..........Holtby..........Capoue...........

Soldado -> Defoe
Holtby -> Dembele
Kane -> Sigurdsson

Know this will sound wrong, but tonight I am seeing our switch play between defense and attack picking up a bit of pace. I know it is early and the opposition isn't the highest we will play, but I am seeing some progress. We just need it to click in the final third still though.

Are we being let down by the system, or players namely today Defoe, Eriksen and Siggy not doing enough, or the simple things well? The directive to those players and Lamela is simple, make something happen. I feel they are just losing it too easy in and around the box. Well done Erik Lamela. Very very promising half.

The three playing now would suit playing with Soldado rather than Defoe.
Defoe isnt making the runs Soldado does.

Half time assessment. Still 0-0 ( no surprise there!) started brightly for first thirty minutes. Lammy and Dembele particularly impressive. Then got sloppy. Allowed Sherrif a few chances on the break. Nothing at all coming down the left. Naughton offering nothing going forward. The switch of wings between Lammy and Siggi dint work. Eriksen trying but not providing the spark. Defoe had one reasonable chance but otherwise not in the game. Ref shocking. We should have had a pen and Lammy getting no protection. Lets get back to thei tempo of the first thirty. Otherwise bring on Kane to help Defoe.

I'm liking our performance tonight, I think we are finding more confidence in our combinations in the attacking third. It's not quite there yet but it's probably the natural consequence of the players having got to know each other a bit more. Exactly why people should give us time and not formulate their opinions when most of the team is still settling in.

I think especially in this stage of the season and potential at any stage, we will be a second half team. We will have many first halfs like that before upping the tempo and taking more risks in the second half when the opposition inevitably lose concentration and we can take the game. That's what a winning club does.

Other thoughts: Eriksen is showing why he is behind Holtby tonight. He's got great credentials from Ajax but where as Holtby used his cup games to provide assists, Eriksen isn't looking like it yet. Really needs to step up in the second half.

Lamela showing more of what he is. Clear talent and not just in his runjingn with the ball, but I think he has been the main improvement in the confidence with our combinations.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sum it up

We had all the possession - they had the best opportunities.

Yep that's about the size of it and it's become a bit of worrying trend since the West Ham game. Not sure what's missing to be honest - the team's a bit like a dish which has all the necessary ingredients in it but still does not taste quite right. Looks like it's going to take a little while yet to get the refinement and balance right. Let's hope we can continue bobbing along in 4th or thereabouts until that happens.

Last edited:
Know this will sound wrong, but tonight I am seeing our switch play between defense and attack picking up a bit of pace. I know it is early and the opposition isn't the highest we will play, but I am seeing some progress. We just need it to click in the final third still though.

I agree

How many times is Lamela gonna get fouled. Been our best player tonight.

Absolutely right. At least three yellow cards for them. Similar pattern to the first game. They are very physical, stepping over the line on many occasions but are not punished. It will put our players off if they think they have no protection. Really impressed with Lamela.

Back