• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United OMT ***

Did SAF underestimate us?

Long time lurker, first post in many years, life long (armchair) spurs fan.

I was thinking what a difference a year makes. Last year we didn't have Parker or Adebayor for this fixture, who were central to the great run we put on after capitulating to the two manchester teams at the start of the season. But we didn't have them available this year either, so that got me thinking what else was different.

The formation was different - we had VDV playing off Defoe last year in a classic 4-4-1-1. whereas this year Dempsey played off Defoe but crucially dropped off to make a solid 5 across the midfield when we were up against it in a 4-2-3-1 formation first half and a 4-5-1 formation second half (or more like 9-1 formation going in to the last half hour).

IMO If AVB has done anything tangible this year he has set us up to be more disciplined defending, something that was sorely lacking in Harry's spurs team. Yes we were an awesome attacking unit on form last year, tearing sides up, but when push came to shove when we needed to dig in we were woeful. When we went 2-0 up I couldn't help but think of what happened against Arsenal and the second half collapse we had then. And to be fair had lady luck not been smiling on us, Saturday could have gone the same way as it has always gone in the past against United.

Last year United lined up with Anderson and Cleverley in their team , whereas this year it was Carrick, Scholes - and I can't help thinking SAF did us a favour, even if he didn't mean to. Sure Scholes second half was a passing machine, but United had pushed us so far back by then he had all the time in the world to pick his passes.

Did SAF underestimate Spurs on Saturday? I honestly think he did. Everyone in the media has written AVB's team off - we've lost world class players in Modric and VDV and not replaced them with equally gifted footballers. We have had injuries to key players from last year (Parker, Adebayor, BAE). We have a new inexperienced manager / new style which had this season been seen to be a lot slower and less direct, more patient approach. We had shown in home games a vulnerability to conceding late goals to West Brom and Norwich. We were lucky to get past QPR after a woeful first half display. Bale was a shadow of the player he was last year.

Maybe SAF was right to think that Saturday would be no different to every other game against Spurs in the premier league. Maybe he had one eye on Cluj in the champions league. Maybe he felt he had more than enough for Spurs.

What do people think - Did SAF get complacent on Saturday and was that the big factor to our win, even accounting for lady luck? I'm not saying that a lot of the credit shouldn't go to AVB (it should) for the way he set the team up and the players for having showing the committment first and second half. But I just don't think United believed we could ever beat them at OT.

One thing's for sure after the final whistle, no-one will be underestimating this Spurs team again.

Re: Did SAF underestimate us?

i think you are right he did underestimate us. i was suprised however about how good we were first half and how bad utd were. utd have been on the very slow but steady decline for a while now and dont be suprised if there are a few more results like this one. ferguson is getting crazier by the year and they dont seem to know how to replace key players in key positions. tend to buy players they dont really need (kagawa, rvp) great players but needed a midfielder/defender more.

As spursworm said I thought their defense looked awful and every time we went forward it looked like we could/would score. I am surprised they didn't look to bring in some more defenders. (Same with Chelsea too imo) In the end we got the 3 points but I thought we closed up shop way too early and it did take some luck and very resilient defending to hold on. If we would have kept our shape of the first half and attacking intent I am sure we could have added another goal or two.

i expect he assumed we'd just capitulate and hand them the game like we have been for the last 20 years

A quote from arsenal mania;

"And I am certainly not a ******* plastic fan, if I was a plastic fan then I wouldn't have bought hundreds upon hundreds of Arsenal merchandise that I could have used to spend on other things, I wouldn't have spent money that me or my family didn't have just to go over to London to watch a few games each season"

:ross: - What a clown shoe!! Definately sounds like a plastic to me... Scum fans love their merchandise. Every time I watch their games all their fans are decked out head to toe in arsenal brick...

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/view...d=56167f1fd9504ceb8984c01c3cbc4b8c&start=2280

That place is infested with trolls - you can't tell the difference at times

That is why they have a Looby and Main Forum

I always found it quite funny over the years how SAF has always been so complimentary of Spurs in general. I think it was just another part of his mind games it is pretty easy to pay somebody compliments when they don't pose any serious threat of ever beating you.

I am not sure if he underestimated us, more like we were set up to expose his team in its' weakest areas and by the time he had figured out a system he could employ to combat it we were 2-0 up.
It has been mentioned by the players that AVB studies the opposition and they talk about how to set up against each team. On this occasion AVB outdid old red nose and all he could do was moan about the ref. taco.

I always found it quite funny over the years how SAF has always been so complimentary of Spurs in general. I think it was just another part of his mind games it is pretty easy to pay somebody compliments when they don't pose any serious threat of ever beating you.

Yep we will know we have arrived when we start getting slagged off by him, he will probably be died by then because he is very old and a jock so probably has a bad liver.

No he didn't.

From his post match comments its clear that he had everything under control except the referee blew the whistle early, robbing them of the win.

A quote from arsenal mania;

"And I am certainly not a ******* plastic fan, if I was a plastic fan then I wouldn't have bought hundreds upon hundreds of Arsenal merchandise that I could have used to spend on other things, I wouldn't have spent money that me or my family didn't have just to go over to London to watch a few games each season"

:ross: - What a clown shoe!! Definately sounds like a plastic to me... Scum fans love their merchandise. Every time I watch their games all their fans are decked out head to toe in arsenal brick...

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/view...d=56167f1fd9504ceb8984c01c3cbc4b8c&start=2280

That sounds like a description of a plastic fan to me.

I can't work out if he is is saying that he goes to games instead of spending on things his family needs or if is he admitting to theft/fraud of some kind?

I think he definitely did. I read an quote of his this weekend talking about the run of 23 years without a win at Old Trafford, and comparing it to his time at Aberdeen. I forget who the team they played was, but he was basically saying no matter what line up he selected, Aberdeen were guaranteed 3 points. He rested 7 first team players before a European match and still won.

He believed the hoodoo. Foolish

I think he definitely did. I read an quote of his this weekend talking about the run of 23 years without a win at Old Trafford, and comparing it to his time at Aberdeen. I forget who the team they played was, but he was basically saying no matter what line up he selected, Aberdeen were guaranteed 3 points. He rested 7 first team players before a European match and still won.

He believed the hoodoo. Foolish

In his defense how could he not believe the hoodoo. I remember a few years ago when we played them in League Cup he put out a truly average to poor team and we put out a very strong side and they battered us.

In his defense how could he not believe the hoodoo. I remember a few years ago when we played them in League Cup he put out a truly average to poor team and we put out a very strong side and they battered us.

We were woeful that night and made Darren Gibson look a world-beater.

Apart from the early goal, that Gallas tackle was a massive part of the win for me. A couple of posters mentioned it too.
Great to see Spurs showing a bit of bite, I know its not the 'Spurs way' but it helps to play a little rough sometimes.

RVP certainly knew he was in a game thats for sure

Back