• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Brentford OMT***

Not a bad start given the situation.

Some potential issues for Ange:

• I think Romero may get caught out for pace with our new system and end up giving away a lot of free kicks/cards.
  • Richarlison doesn't behave like a (good) centre forward in terms of his movement or positioning. Or seem a natural/instinctive finisher.
  • Equally, Son (who seems an unlikely captain) doesn't seem well suited to a left wide position in a system where he will have little space to work with (as opposed to counterattacking with runs in behind).
  • And as many have noted Kulu is a bit slow and predictable out on the right.

But plenty of positives too. Maddison/Bissouma/Udogie/VDV/Sanchez/Emerson's goal
It's going to be very interesting to see how Ange shapes the team over the next few months.

PS. I would have liked to have seen lo Celso on as a sub if we want to keep him (less important if we don't).
PPS. I wonder how long it will take for players to catch on to the new dissent guidance. Yellow card multiple betting might be quite profitable in the meantime.

Yeah I can’t help but feel a little disappointed that Ange-ball didn’t seem to come across today as much as it did in the friendlies. Maybe just harder to do in a competitive game, especially when Brentford were often sitting so deep.

Tough first game, defend in numbers and play long ball counters. I'm sure less organised or open teams it will pay off. Anyway, first game and things will progress and be tweaked

So many positives…I really enjoyed seeing us with the ball so much. Of course there’s things to work on, things we could improve massively, but in context, that was pretty good.

Not gone deep into the thread, but I hope people aren’t banging on Richy. He will find his way fast, I believe that…in the meanwhile, let’s appreciate the workrate and fact he is finding positions to do better from. AND we have to also remember, when it comes to smart movement, the man who left the building is world class!

Well we were enjoyable to watch after the tripe served up last season. Bit annoying to drop 2 points, the 2 goals we conceded were very sloppy.

That was an enjoyable watch in an attacking sense! More of the same please. Not so much at the other end but I was impressed with VDV and Udogie.

Undecided about Vicario but he looks tidy on the ball which is a bonus.

Bissouma and Maddison were class. Bissouma MOM for me.

The forwards were probably the weakest area on the pitch for us. Kulu still not firing on all cylinders. Ditto Son. Richarlison is not a bad player but he is anything but prolific. I think we need to spend a fair chunk of the Kane money on a goalscorer.

Im not a fan of Sanchez but I thought he was excellent bar one or two shaky moments. I’d like to think he can do a job as a backup up Romero and VDV.
We don't need to spend a chunk of our money for a goal scorer. It's not like Richie got a ton of service and whiffed on everything. We need Sonny and Kulu to up their game. Had they played better, Richie would have gotten more chances and we'd have scored at least one more.

Tough first game, defend in numbers and play long ball counters. I'm sure less organised or open teams it will pay off. Anyway, first game and things will progress and be tweaked
Even in our best Poch-era, we had certain problems breaking down destructive teams like Brentford. And then we were far better at finding openings and had a awesomely diverse attack with genuine creativity and a lot of options. Plus we had a terrifying counter attack force, which today is pretty much non-exsistant. There's a reason why Berntford claim so many points from the top while losing to dross. I think we will see more of whatever Ange-ball is when we face better, and as you say more open teams. Spank or be spanked.

We don't need to spend a chunk of our money for a goal scorer. It's not like Richie got a ton of service and whiffed on everything. We need Sonny and Kulu to up their game. Had they played better, Richie would have gotten more chances and we'd have scored at least one more.
Sonny isn’t a wide left creator though

Just like everyboy else, I thought that was a refreshing change from what we've had to endure for the past couple of years. Ironically, though, I believe Mourinho's team, at its peak, would have murdered us yesterday. Whether it's sustainable in the long run to leave that much space to the opposition, particularly between the defence and the midfield, remains to be seen but it made for a fun first game of the season at least.

Considering it's only the first game of the season, it's way too early to pass judgment on anything but there were plenty of positives.

I have to say, though, that on TV, Vicario's positioning looked... unorthodox. On the other hand, his handling was good and his distribution looked better than Lloris'. Unsurprisingly, Sanchez looks better when we play a high line. I'd even consider keeping him as a back up and gettinng rid of Dier, who doesn't seem to have the legs to play anywhere in this team (bar maybe as a deep lying playmaker). The fact that Sanchez was kept around when we played with a low block and inviting pressure is a testament to our appalling squad management.

Our defenders had hardly played together before so, again, nothing much to say here. I'm more worried about our front three, though. For me, Richarlison is better suited to playing on the wing as I feel he needs some speed to make the most of his skill on the ball. You can't fault him for effort but, in this case, I'd say it plays against him as you usually want to striker to focus on his positioning, rather than work rate. Likewise, Son isn't a great crosser of the ball and I'm not sure he's got that many goals in him if we push the opposition back, which will leave him with less space to exploit. Maybe he can do a job and prove more useful in bigger fixtures, when we have to sit a little deeper.

And despite his low-key performance, I'd say Kulusevski might prove to be the more suited of the three to these situations, as he's got this ability to go all the way the goal-line and cut the ball back. At least, he offers something different, even if he's yet to recapture his best form.

Also, I noticed a lot of people enjoyed Bissouma's performance. I have to say, he's one of these players I never really enjoyed. I understand every team needs a 'water carrier' but whenever he tries to go beyond that role, I feel like there's something missing from his game. Again, sometimes, you don't 'get' some players and it says more about you than it does about them. It also had to be said that he worked hard yesterday, despite having been out of the team for quite some time. I'm just not sure I'd pair him with Skipp but, again, personal opinion.

It's too early to make anything of Brentford too but last season, they did pretty well for themselves. If they reproduce that kind of form and assuming we're aiming for a Top 6 finish, this looks like a good result and it's certainly more enjoyable than grinding out results week in, week out.

We deserved more. Excellent game by us by and large. I can't think of a single player that didn't play well. Sanchez has got a Ledley in him. All he needs is our support. And our support yesterday was excellent! Let's keep that going. Lift the team. We've got something really special here. Let's all enjoy it and do our best to make it work! :)

Just like everyboy else, I thought that was a refreshing change from what we've had to endure for the past couple of years. Ironically, though, I believe Mourinho's team, at its peak, would have murdered us yesterday. Whether it's sustainable in the long run to leave that much space to the opposition, particularly between the defence and the midfield, remains to be seen but it made for a fun first game of the season at least.

Considering it's only the first game of the season, it's way too early to pass judgment on anything but there were plenty of positives.

I have to say, though, that on TV, Vicario's positioning looked... unorthodox. On the other hand, his handling was good and his distribution looked better than Lloris'. Unsurprisingly, Sanchez looks better when we play a high line. I'd even consider keeping him as a back up and gettinng rid of Dier, who doesn't seem to have the legs to play anywhere in this team (bar maybe as a deep lying playmaker). The fact that Sanchez was kept around when we played with a low block and inviting pressure is a testament to our appalling squad management.

Our defenders had hardly played together before so, again, nothing much to say here. I'm more worried about our front three, though. For me, Richarlison is better suited to playing on the wing as I feel he needs some speed to make the most of his skill on the ball. You can't fault him for effort but, in this case, I'd say it plays against him as you usually want to striker to focus on his positioning, rather than work rate. Likewise, Son isn't a great crosser of the ball and I'm not sure he's got that many goals in him if we push the opposition back, which will leave him with less space to exploit. Maybe he can do a job and prove more useful in bigger fixtures, when we have to sit a little deeper.

And despite his low-key performance, I'd say Kulusevski might prove to be the more suited of the three to these situations, as he's got this ability to go all the way the goal-line and cut the ball back. At least, he offers something different, even if he's yet to recapture his best form.

Also, I noticed a lot of people enjoyed Bissouma's performance. I have to say, he's one of these players I never really enjoyed. I understand every team needs a 'water carrier' but whenever he tries to go beyond that role, I feel like there's something missing from his game. Again, sometimes, you don't 'get' some players and it says more about you than it does about them. It also had to be said that he worked hard yesterday, despite having been out of the team for quite some time. I'm just not sure I'd pair him with Skipp but, again, personal opinion.

It's too early to make anything of Brentford too but last season, they did pretty well for themselves. If they reproduce that kind of form and assuming we're aiming for a Top 6 finish, this looks like a good result and it's certainly more enjoyable than grinding out results week in, week out.

Not sure re the Mourinho observation, Brentford is exactly that, along ball team with time wasting/diving tactics, hitting to fast wide players, choosing at times to sit with 9-11 men behind the ball (and it reminded me how fudging awful it is to watch). Of course, typically Mourinho teams had better players, so there is that.

My comment on the back line would be with VDV and Udogie we have added a lot of covering pace, critical in this system. Vicario does come out as well (something Lloris stopped doing a long time ago and Forster never does)

Bissouma is a little better than you give him credit for (your description is closer to Skipp imo), but I would agree, he and Skipp don't seem a great fit. We all obviously want that midfield of Bissouma, Bentancur & Maddison.

Front line needs to learn a little chemistry, I would have liked to see Solomon late in the game. Think our legs went in the end (not surprising with small preseason and new players)

Average positions comparison

wuam5k55y0ib1.png

Back