• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Barcodes OMT ***

Interesting question. As always I think the bookmakers at least manage to ballpark probability figures like these. Lowest odds I could find on oddschecker for the two were:

To win the league cup: 7.5 (13/2)
Top 4 finish: 7 (6/1)

So very close. For the bookmakers at least.

For me, at this stage of the season we have to balance our interests. Rotate a bit, be smart about it. It's most likely what we'll have to do come the new year if we keep progressing in the Europa League. It's what we should do now with two fairly closely balanced priorities.

That's interesting re the odds.

I should have add in the cavaet that i'd expect us to keep the same approach with regards to rotation as we currently seem to have - but fitness aside i want to see a 'first team' not a patch up job with unfamiliar partnerships all over the pitch.

As someone else mentioned, win this the semi's are on, avoid Chelsea in that draw and there should be a good buzz around the place

That's interesting re the odds.

I should have add in the cavaet that i'd expect us to keep the same approach with regards to rotation as we currently seem to have - but fitness aside i want to see a 'first team' not a patch up job with unfamiliar partnerships all over the pitch.

As someone else mentioned, win this the semi's are on, avoid Chelsea in that draw and there should be a good buzz around the place

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to see a patch up job or Besiktas-esque backup team on the pitch. Just a couple of rotations for this one followed by a couple for the game at the weekend to avoid what happened against Crystal Palace (and to some extent Chelsea).

For me, a decent idea would be:

-----------Lloris----------------
Naughton/Vlad-Fazio-Verts-Rose
-------Stambouli-Bentaleb------
Lennon------Lamela------Chadli
------------Kane---------------

Then for the weekend something like: Mason in for Stambouli (Bentaleb doing alright-ish last time playing 3 in 6 in his role whereas Mason really didn't), Eriksen in for Lamela and possibly Soldado on for Kane unless Kane is feeling like superman or can be rested for a significant part of the second half against Toon. Although other rotation patterns would obviously also be fine. I just don't want what happened last time, Kane, Mason, Eriksen (and to some extent Bentaleb) all looking more or less shattered against Palace and struggling to make an impact.

Same time it's a chance to get Chadli, Stambouli and Rose going. Something that could be very valuable going into the Christmas period where some changes will be inevitable.

I think with it being a cup game and Saudi Sportswashing Machine in their new found confidence it could suit us quite well - id expect them to play for the win and if we approach it similar to the Everton game - quick counter attacks and so on we'll have a good performance

^ like the look of that team

They will play deep, look to soak up pressure and hit us with quick breaks. That's how they've been successful this season. They're less good when teams sit deeper against them. That's what we'll need to do, counter intuitive as it may be at home.

At least one of Mason, Bentaleb and Eriksen needs to start in midfield. I can't bear watching us go back to the AVB days of not being able to string a good passing move together. Gut feeling is Bentaleb and Eriksen together, with Mason dropping to the bench for Stambouli. Hopefully Lennon is also fit to start, he generally seems to be quite good against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

I wouldn't mind some of the stronger teams suggested here. But if history repeats itself and we look tired and struggle against Burnley on Saturday people shouldn't be upset if they've been calling for an unchanged team throughout.

Spot on observation

Can anyone remember who won it last year?

I can certainly remember being at Wembley and feeling just about as good as i ever have at a Spurs game when we won it last time out and i also remember watching in a pub near Wembley as a 14 year old or so as Alan Neilsen dove in to clinch the game against Leicester!

Honestly some fans ...

A good day out , I grant you. Beyond that, .....zilch.

Even the last time WE won it, the season petered out into horrible meaninglessness and the next season was the infamous 2 from 8. The legacy may not be worth the candle.

I'm with the go for the win phalanx. I think we need to do everything we can to win this match, as it is only three steps away from Wembley Glory. The only two I'd consider resting is Walker, as he's just come back and Mason, just cuz he puts so much in every match. I'd use our squad a little bit, but not do a wholesale changes thing.

-------------Hugo----------
Naught--Fazio--JV----Rose
---Bentaleb----Stambouli----
Lennon---Eriksen----Chadli
-----------Kane---------

That team should be able to get a result.

Lloris
Naughton - Fazio - vertonghen - Rose
Stambouli - Dembele
Lamela - Kane - Eriksen
Soldado​

2-1

Kane and Ade actually forged a decent partnership last season. If Ade is fit give him a go. Ideally we'd like to give Kane a break at some point.

IMO this is our most important game of the season to date (a cup 1/4 final - 3 games from our first silverware since 2008 + EL qualification), so has to be our strongest possible team.

------------Lloris
Walker--Fazio-Verts--Davies
-------Mason-Bentaleb
--Eriksen---Kane---Chadli
-------------Soldado

W 2-0

need to rest players, some big games coming up quickly and close together.

I completely disagree.

We've got 2 easy league games, followed by 2 pretty much impossible ones. We can rest players through them and should end up with 6 points whatever happens really.

Winning either domestic cup would be huge this season - a real best case scenario

I completely disagree.

We've got 2 easy league games, followed by 2 pretty much impossible ones. We can rest players through them and should end up with 6 points whatever happens really.

Winning either domestic cup would be huge this season - a real best case scenario

Burnley are not easy, such a naive approach.

Firstly incase you havent noticed we struggle against practically anyone at home. But beyond that, Burnley are one of the form teams of the last 6 PL games, and their players have run the furthest in the PL so they are extremely hard working. Yes we will be favourites, but it will not be a walkover and that sort of attitude is what pollutes WHL when things arent going well on the pitch...

Burnley are not easy, such a naive approach.

Firstly incase you havent noticed we struggle against practically anyone at home. But beyond that, Burnley are one of the form teams of the last 6 PL games, and their players have run the furthest in the PL so they are extremely hard working. Yes we will be favourites, but it will not be a walkover and that sort of attitude is what pollutes WHL when things arent going well on the pitch...

Agreed. We've struggled a lot against bottom half, hard working teams at home.

We need fresh legs against Burnley, passing tempo and movement will be key if we want a good performance I think.

--------------Vorm---------------
Walker--Fazio---Verts--Davies
-------Stambouli-Bentaleb-----
-Lennon---Chadli-----Dembele
-------------Soldado-----------

Mason and Kane, Eriksen need a breather.

Last edited:

That's a decent team too. Then rotate Walker, Davies, Soldado, Bentaleb for the weekend game. I'd stick with Lloris though if we're keeping a consistent defence.

Or this.

Dembele being there is interesting, but it may work!!

Agreed. We've struggled a lot against bottom half, hard working teams at home.

We need fresh legs against Burnley, passing tempo and movement will be key if we want a good performance I think.

Yep. Not having a pop at you GB, but this is literally the attitude that many of our fans seem to have every single time we play against any team who are considered smaller than us and who we are expected to beat. It's permeated the Lane for years now. Even going back to under Redknapp (IMO).

So-called 'lesser' teams who work hard for eachother, defend competently and often quite deep (leaving no space for our, traditionally, pacy team to get in behind --> these days unless Lennon plays we often struggle for pace in attacking areas to be fair)... these type of teams are literally the type of opposition we struggle against every single time and have now done so for years and years!! Recent examples? Erm how about all of this season...

It's actually the opposite of an easy or walkover game - it's the hardest type of match for us outside of Cheatski and Sh!tty. Burnley are on a decent run now, they are organised, they do work hard, if we play like we often have done in these types of matches... we will probably struggle again :(. And then the crowd will turn poisonous very rapidly, as usual, due to the over-inflated expectations (compared to the reality of what is out on the pitch), and the whole depressing WHL matchday cycle continues.

Let's get a fresh team out there and hit them hard from the off, get an early goal, and it'll hopefully be different to the norm. COYS

Yep. Not having a pop at you GB, but this is literally the attitude that many of our fans seem to have every single time we play against any team who are considered smaller than us and who we are expected to beat. It's permeated the Lane for years now. Even going back to under Redknapp (IMO).

So-called 'lesser' teams who work hard for eachother, defend competently and often quite deep (leaving no space for our, traditionally, pacy team to get in behind --> these days unless Lennon plays we often struggle for pace in attacking areas to be fair)... these type of teams are literally the type of opposition we struggle against every single time and have now done so for years and years!! Recent examples? Erm how about all of this season...

It's actually the opposite of an easy or walkover game - it's the hardest type of match for us outside of Cheatski and Sh!tty. Burnley are on a decent run now, they are organised, they do work hard, if we play like we often have done in these types of matches... we will probably struggle again :(. And then the crowd will turn poisonous very rapidly, as usual, due to the over-inflated expectations (compared to the reality of what is out on the pitch), and the whole depressing WHL matchday cycle continues.

Let's get a fresh team out there and hit them hard from the off, get an early goal, and it'll hopefully be different to the norm. COYS

Sorry that was a bit of a throwaway comment. The other day I was advocating resting players against Chelsea to make sure we got all 3 points against Palace.

I think it's more about priorities.

We're not going to get relegated and we're not going to get CL. The LC offers a really good chance of silverware and a shortcut back into the EL. As we stand in the season now, we should throw everything at the League Cup, and be strategic about the league to make sure we get 6 points out of the next 4 games (i.e. I would rest players against United and Chelsea, rather than Leicester and Burnley).

Last edited:
Back