• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Rennes *** *POSTPONED*

This is a strange one, I’d have thought UEFA would have wanted us to go through as we will generate more exposure for the competition. It’s also a dangerous precedent for a CL match if one side has an outbreak and plays anyway…

....Eagerly awaits this sort of thing happening to one of the 'big boys' in the knockout stages of the CL. Mr Levy's lawyers will be on the case if they are not treated the same way

Can’t see anyway how we can progress if the game isn’t played. It was probably difficult to squeeze in but I’d imagine Rennes made it difficult also. I reckon it either goes down as not played or goes down as a 0-0 draw.
Ah just seen it’s because we can’t rearrange. Very little incentive for Rennes to be flexible and perhaps we were trying to test UEFA’s resolve rather than play a complete reserve team

I’m prob equally happy if we go out or stay in…

But, it would seem incredibly unfair to get knocked out after following covid protocols — surely that just adds an incentive for clubs to not declare positive cases.

Also, if we’ve offered a date but Rennes have refused, then surely they are just as culpable.

If the rules say 13 players and the fixture goes ahead and we had that I’m not sure we have much of a defence.

Our own retarded fault if we go out losing to Mura

I’m prob equally happy if we go out or stay in…

But, it would seem incredibly unfair to get knocked out after following covid protocols — surely that just adds an incentive for clubs to not declare positive cases.

Also, if we’ve offered a date but Rennes have refused, then surely they are just as culpable.
Rennes have no incentive to do anything that makes life difficult for them, they’ve already qualified and it’s an away game. But their reaction to the postponement doesn’t rule out pettiness too.

If the rules say 13 players and the fixture goes ahead and we had that I’m not sure we have much of a defence.

The only argument if there was a high chance of further infection due to the number of cases we had, although does that negate the reason to test?

I was surprised this match did get cancelled. I understood the PL match v Brighton getting called off, but I thought with the squad we had we could have raised 15/16 players to fulfil the fixture and least have a chance to qualify. I suppose a lot may have depended on who the non-players are that have been affected

Sounds like it's automatically a 3-0 to Rennes.
As per our own @milo

'The club that cannot play the match' could also be interpreted as the one that is unable to fit in or agree to a new date. If we had more than 13 A-list players available we probably have less of a case, although there's also some stuff about local regulations (if applicable) demanding the whole team go into quarantine.

Well a lot of Spurs fans will be over the moon about this.

Because we are so great we can afford to turn our nose up at a European competition.

Obviously, we all know what is going to happen now. Leicester City will probably end up winning it

As I said previously this is a choice of having a shot at winning the conference or having a shot at top 4 - our squad is completely incapable of doing both, as has been proven with the pathetic performances from our second string side.

If we played this game, and then the extra two legged playoff along with all the other two legged tied and final, and the league cup tie and possible two legged semi, fa cup run and all the re-arranged league games, we will pretty much to the end of the season be playing twice a week, probably sometimes even three times a week.

That means we either flog the first 11 or have to routinely use our brick back up players. Doing either of those two things means we dont win conference and dont get top 4.

One would have to be prioritised over the other, which would obviously be top 4. This means the brick back up players would have to be played in the conference and therefore we would go out and go out very quickly!

Surely it's going to get forfeited now. Well, fudge it. With Burnley, Brighton and probably Leicester too getting postponed, we probably shouldn't have to worry about playing in Europe.

A lot of things in this we can look at.
Our poor results leading to a must win v Rennes, poxy covid, fixture congestion, etc.
Why does the game have to be played by 31st December though? Is it because of potential fixture congestion due to a stupid play-off against Europa failures early next year? Never understood the 'failure to qualify here have another go' system UEFA introduced.
Whatever the outcome we get what we deserve. I'm very much pro-European competition no matter what level we qualify for and we should go all out to win, none of this 8 or 9 changes lark. Look at the success of Sevilla as an example, we only have ourselves to blame.

Rightly or wrongly our squad is of the opinion that the ECL isn’t worthy of our participation. We have now been put out of our misery, thanks UEFA!

Now forget this embarassment and focus on the health and well-being of our squad/staff and their families.

Seems like an absolute farce if we're out because a game that got postponed couldn't be rescheduled.

Don't think it's quite over yet, but with UEFA you never know.

Seems like an absolute farce if we're out because a game that got postponed couldn't be rescheduled.

Don't think it's quite over yet, but with UEFA you never know.

There does seem to be a bit of a gap in the rules if clubs can refuse the proposed rematch.

I.e say it happens in the CL semi final, the opposition would just need to say “oh no, we can’t play the rescheduled date” and get through to the final.

As I said previously this is a choice of having a shot at winning the conference or having a shot at top 4 - our squad is completely incapable of doing both, as has been proven with the pathetic performances from our second string side.

If we played this game, and then the extra two legged playoff along with all the other two legged tied and final, and the league cup tie and possible two legged semi, fa cup run and all the re-arranged league games, we will pretty much to the end of the season be playing twice a week, probably sometimes even three times a week.

That means we either flog the first 11 or have to routinely use our brick back up players. Doing either of those two things means we dont win conference and dont get top 4.

One would have to be prioritised over the other, which would obviously be top 4. This means the brick back up players would have to be played in the conference and therefore we would go out and go out very quickly!
This man understands. Or first 11 is barely good enough let alone the fringe 11.

Rightly or wrongly our squad is of the opinion that the ECL isn’t worthy of our participation. We have now been put out of our misery, thanks UEFA!

Now forget this embarassment and focus on the health and well-being of our squad/staff and their families.
The squad did this in europa too don’t forget

Back