• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur v Coventry City OMT***

Re: ***Tottenham Hotspur v Coventry City OMT***

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate55 View Post
There are plenty of options out there. We need top quality now - not one for the future. I would use most of our available transfer budget to land someone of proven quality.

A good striker is often the difference between success and failure.

So answer the question if its that crucial

We are winning games IN SPITE of Ade at the moment not because of him. He has been DIRE this season. We need a top quality STRIKER now.

PS I thought he was great at the beginning of last season - but even the most rose tinted must admit he has been poor this season. To make sure of CL we NEED another striker now. Not getting one has cost us CL in the last two seasons - lets not make the same mistake again please.

Throw-away society. Sling Ade on the heap. He will no longer perform. Buy in a new one - get Villa, Van Persie, Ba?

Adebayor has not been dire. He hasn't been finishing well. Though he still scored the crucial goal against Reading to put us 2-1 up, less than 1 week ago. The rest of Ade's game has been fine, contributing to defending set pieces and build up play. We have little insight into what goes on with the coaching side of the game, fans are more aware of the 'football manager' approach of buying and selling to make changes. Really, the key is unlocking Adebayor's talents. He can be the complete player. Getting him to focus on finishing (rather than the other things he brings) could be important.

I hope we sign another striker but also hope we get Adebayor playing like he can again.

Last edited:
Throw-away society. Sling Ade on the heap. He will no longer perform. Buy in a new one - get Villa, Van Persie, Ba?

Adebayor has not been dire. He hasn't been finishing well. Though he still scored the crucial goal against Reading to put us 2-1 up, less than 1 week ago. The rest of Ade's game has been fine, contributing to defending set pieces and build up play. We have little insight into what goes on with the coaching side of the game, fans are more aware of the 'football manager' approach of buying and selling to make changes. Really, the key is unlocking Adebayor's talents. He can be the complete player. Getting him to focus on finishing (rather than the other things he brings) could be important.

I hope we sign another striker but also hope we get Adebayor playing like he can again.

Ba would have been a good gamble (fitness issue?) but its too late now, and intead he's gone to a CL-seeking rival.
I'm just hoping that AVB and Levy are seeing that there's a good chance that if we make the right investment on the striker, he could bring us up to the next level.
ade and defoe are just not clinical enough.

Ba would have been a good gamble (fitness issue?) but its too late now, and intead he's gone to a CL-seeking rival.
I'm just hoping that AVB and Levy are seeing that there's a good chance that if we make the right investment on the striker, he could bring us up to the next level.
ade and defoe are just not clinical enough.

Doubt he would have chosen us over Chelsea tbh, would have been an excellent acquisition, more money and probably playing time at Chelsea though...

This! Spot on and thank you. :)

I have no idea how Ade played today but I still cannot believe that people genuinely think we can sign a better striker this window. Hell, he was far and away the best striker we could have signed in the last window and that was summer - this is the January window and anyone we do sign will be either a) mediocre, as no-one wants to sell their best players mid-season (has the Russian season just ended?); b) playing for a mediocre team, where the dynamics of the team are going to be far different from at Spurs (much more counter attacking, seeing the ball further from the box in more open spaces); or c) playing in a mediocre league, where there is a very decent chance they will just be brick.

This is not some pony like Peter Crouch or Roman Pavlyuchenko we are talking about. Adebayor cannot just simply be replaced because he isn't clinical. Finishing aside he is one of the best strikers in the world and anyone we sign has to have skills other than finishing that at least resemble Adebayor's - think of every top class team in the world - not one of them has a striker who is simply a finisher. Where they do (maybe Gomez), they are outrageously good at putting the ball in the back of the net and at least passable in other areas, while they also have far better teammates than at Spurs.

Adebayor was very wasteful last season as well, he just didn't have to share space in front of goal with one of the greediest players in the league. He had VDV and Modric, who provided more creative genius than any of their replacements can. In fact, it is almost as if Defoe has directly replaced VDV. Is it not understandable then that Adebayor - who is definitely not the finisher of the two, as that is Defoe's ostensible speciality - has scored dramatically less goals this season? Last year, when he was leading the line on his own, if he scored 2 goals in 13 game, he could rightly be criticised because the job of scoring would chiefly fall on his shoulders. However he scored 17 league goals - more than Berbatov ever scored in one season and 1 less than Defoe in 09/10 - and he had almost as large an influence creatively as Berba.

This season his job is not so much about getting goals as it is about creating space for shots (mainly on the edge of the box, taken by Defoe and Bale) by moving the opposition with runs in the channels/to the wings and dropping deep. While we saw this last season, we also saw him grab a lot of goals, and I think having an extra player to set him up (especially one of VDV's quality) could have made all the difference. I think it's time for Dempsey to get some starts - great goalscoring instincts, very respectable creativity and technical ability with a serious threat from long shots. I think he would work very well with Ade and we might see the big man start scoring more as well.

Last edited:
I've read that Harry considered Ade one of the least confident players he's ever worked with. Basically, his head drops quickly when something doesn't go right...and he's had a lot not really going right this season, from the protracted Emirates Marketing Project transfer struggle to the injuries, the red card, and the specter of Togo.

That matches what Wenger commented about him after he left Arsenal and makes some sense to me, since he doesn't actually appear lazy from what I've seen (haven't watched this game), but rather not sharp this season. He's still floating around and trying to link up play, but looks labored and tentative in front of goal. He's also slightly slower in that area, but I can't tell if that's down to lack of self-belief or his injuries.

He has plenty of reasons to be depressed too. I think AVB prefers more of a pure-ish number 9, which is why he's stuck with Defoe despite JD not fitting in a team ethos, and why we're pursuing Leandro. Ade's lack of clinicalness isn't such a big downside when his upsides amplify a fluid, productive no. 10 like VdV, but right now we have neither a no. 10 nor the fluidity in attack from early last season.

That's a team chemistry problem as much as an Ade problem. I think we need to circulate the ball more rapidly and creatively in midfield, particularly through the center, before we can see Ade start to brighten up again. Ade's strength is his fluency in building a play, not his ability to beat a man and score individual goals. I know we've improved of late, but our large shots count is pretty reliant on individual runs and dribbles (and long, difficult shots) and I think we still need to create much more through the center and more team-based, clear-cut chances from one-touch passing moves. Even Ade in his best form is not going to do much if the rest of the team are not on the same page.

A fluent passing style is my preference, so I'd prefer we bring in more technical passers elsewhere to complement Ade/another creative striker rather than sell him and pray desperately for an uber-no.9 who can do it all on his own; the latter are far too rare with our wallet, and we're effed if they get injured. Yes, clinical-ness in a striker is important, but I think it's even more important to boost our ability to consistently create clear chances in every game, such that even not-so-sharp players can score and we're not screwed if one superstar gets injured. That means the intelligence and chemistry of the striker to the rest of the team is crucial as well.

Last edited:
I've read that Harry considered Ade one of the least confident players he's ever worked with. Basically, his head drops quickly when something doesn't go right...and he's had a lot not really going right this season, from the protracted Emirates Marketing Project transfer struggle to the injuries, the red card, and the specter of Togo.

That matches what Wenger commented about him after he left Arsenal and makes some sense to me, since he doesn't actually appear lazy from what I've seen (haven't watched this game), but rather not sharp this season. He's still floating around and trying to link up play, but looks labored and tentative in front of goal. He's also slightly slower in that area, but I can't tell if that's down to lack of self-belief or his injuries.

He has plenty of reasons to be depressed too. I think AVB prefers more of a pure-ish number 9, which is why he's stuck with Defoe despite JD not fitting in a team ethos, and why we're pursuing Leandro. Ade's lack of clinicalness isn't such a big downside when his upsides amplify a fluid, productive no. 10 like VdV, but right now we have neither a no. 10 nor the fluidity in attack from early last season.

That's a team chemistry problem as much as an Ade problem. I think we need to circulate the ball more rapidly and creatively in midfield, particularly through the center, before we can see Ade start to brighten up again. Ade's strength is his fluency in building a play, not his ability to beat a man and score individual goals. I know we've improved of late, but our large shots count is pretty reliant on individual runs and dribbles (and long, difficult shots) and I think we still need to create much more through the center and more team-based, clear-cut chances from one-touch passing moves. Even Ade in his best form is not going to do much if the rest of the team are not on the same page.

A fluent passing style is my preference, so I'd prefer we bring in more technical passers elsewhere to complement Ade/another creative striker rather than sell him and pray desperately for an uber-no.9 who can do it all on his own; the latter are far too rare with our wallet, and we're effed if they get injured. Yes, clinical-ness in a striker is important, but I think it's even more important to boost our ability to consistently create clear chances in every game, such that even not-so-sharp players can score and we're not screwed if one superstar gets injured. That means the intelligence and chemistry of the striker to the rest of the team is crucial as well.

Great post!!!

This is how we should win matches in any competitions, score early and kill them off with one or two more goals. Wish we had scored more in the 2nd half but this is more than enough in the Cup matches. The fact we kept clean sheet makes it more satisfying. Too bad this match was not shown live anywhere. Would have loved to see how we played in this match. It is really annoying that all the "big" teams had their matches shown live except us.

Nice to see AVB playing a strong team. It shows we are treating the FA Cup seriously unlike the previous years. From the match reports, it seems Dempsey and Bale played well which is not surprising since both scored our goal. You must give credit to Bale who is showing the right attitude in both league and Cup matches. He works hard even in Cup matches which is nice to see. Dempsey have really upped his game in recent weeks especially since the return of Adebayor. As a result, he is getting involved in a lot of of goals now. That cannot be said the same of Adebayor who has been disappointing since returning from injury. And it seems Adebayor had another poor game.

Like the fact our we kept clean sheet despite having Friedel, Dawson and Caulker starting in defence. It will go a long way in helping their confidence when it comes to keeping clean sheets in the upcoming matches. Also, nice to see BAE returning from injury and Hudd getting a chance after so long. BAE must have had a quiet game since all the match reports didn't mention much about him. Maybe he will need more games to rediscover match fitness.

It is always a great feeling when we win, especially in Cup matches. We need to continue this winning run in all the competitions. Hope we will get another favourable draw in the next round.

Spurs player's combined Goals & assists updated after the 3-0 win v Coventry City...

P0148.png

Tottenham Hotspur Player's Statistics 2012-13

Re: Spurs Vs Coventry - Goals

Well taken goals by Dempsey and Bale. But I think Dempsey's header for the third goal got some element of luck in it.

Last edited:
Spurs player's combined Goals & assists updated after the 3-0 win v Coventry City...

P0148.png

Tottenham Hotspur Player's Statistics 2012-13

Defoe really needs to go on another goal-scoring run. He has badly gone off the boil in recent weeks. And it is really embarassing for Adebayor to be overtaken by defenders Vertonghen and Caulker in the goal+assist total. He needs to up him game fast or should be dropped.

Last edited:

Dempsey's 2nd goal and reaction :

1357430980911.gif

1357431143159.gif

[video=youtube;TFIA0qdDLdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIA0qdDLdU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Must say, Dempsey is either got so much confident or arrogant when it comes giving interviews. He doesn't come across as down-to-earth like Bale and Defoe in that sense.

You must give credit to Bale who is showing the right attitude in both league and Cup matches. He works hard even in Cup matches which is nice to see.

He was outstanding yesterday, scored one, put 2 or 3 great crosses in, nearly scored another Ronaldo like free kick and had one run where he beat 4 players only to put it inches wide of he post, his attitude is fantastic and he looked like he really enjoyed it yesterday, what a top player

I thought Dempsey was pretty downbeat in that, the usual "rehearsed" statements about it being a tough game etc, but not a hint of arrogance at all, just very matter of fact.

He was outstanding yesterday, scored one, put 2 or 3 great crosses in, nearly scored another Ronaldo like free kick and had one run where he beat 4 players only to put it inches wide of he post, his attitude is fantastic and he looked like he really enjoyed it yesterday, what a top player

That run he made was top notch, and the 2nd half free-kick felt like slow-motion, goalie didnt move,but being on the wrong side of the goal in the Paxton we didnt know how wide it went, as the Jumbotron never showed a replay, was is only inches wde?

Back