• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur U21 v Chel$ea U21 OMT***

I'm sure I read a few years ago that Winks is the one to really keep an eye on. In and around the club he is very highly rated for what he can do on the pitch but more importantly he apparently has a top class mentality and attitude.

Onomah is equally highly rated, to be fair.

As is Cameron Carter-Vickers.

Winks is the most ready, however, should he be called upon.

IMO.

Interesting to see people count Rose as an academy graduate and not Lennon. Both were signed from Leeds at 17. Is it because Lennon was too good for our academy at that age? Or that Rose wasn't good enough for our team at the time so played in the youth sides?

Lennon was actually 18 when he joined. So he was never an option for our academy.

Rose, on the other hand, was specifically signed for the academy and played for it for a couple of seasons.

Of course Spurs have made less of a contribution to his overall football education than they did with Ryan Mason, for instance. But they had some important input nevertheless. So he is still an academy graduate.

Last edited:
i didn't realize Lennon was 18 when he signed.

im not sure how a player can play for the academy for a couple of seasons, progress up through the ranks and not be considered an academy graduate tbh seeings as graduating from the academy is exactly what he has done :p

Lennon was actually 18 when he joined. So he was never an option for our academy.

Rose, on the other hand, was specifically signed for the academy and played for it for a couple of seasons.

Of course Spurs have made less of a contribution to his overall football education than they did with Ryan Mason, for instance. But they had some important input nevertheless. So he is still an academy graduate.

fair enough, wouldnt consider either academy grads

do you consider Bentaleb an academy graduate?

Indeed.

I can't be bothered to do the research but I suspect that we'd all be surprised at just how many academy graduates who make it at every club have only been with that club for a short while. Especially the bigger clubs, who prey on the best youth players at other clubs.

i dont consider Bentaleb an academy graduate either. Same with Ceballos.

Townsend, Kane, Mason, yes.

i dont consider Bentaleb an academy graduate either. Same with Ceballos.

Townsend, Kane, Mason, yes.

So at what age does a player need to start training with us for you to consider him an academy graduate? Or how long does he need to play for the academy for?

i think what he's saying is that for a player to be considered an academy graduate he has to have joined the club at the earliest possible moment and not played for another professional clubs academy. regardless of whether they actually played for, developed in and graduated from our academy.

8 years old.

Kane didn't join us until he was 14; Caulker when he was 15; Pritchard 16.

You'll find a similar story over and over again in youth football. Some good players just don't get noticed until they're a little older; some don't show any real potential until they're a little older; some get discarded by clubs that don't rate them and picked up by other clubs that do; some have so much potential that the big clubs pay big money for them; some just get poached by the bigger clubs.....

Going by your criteria, there would be comparatively few players that any club could ever claim as academy graduates!

poor players - forever in limbo having never been able to graduate from academy football :(

Mason was 4 and the poster who chills with his Dad will confirm.. Bentaleb and Ceballos aren't academy graduates.

Back