• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Crazy that it won't be used for the World Cup Clusterfudge in 2018. Hope the other stadiums are of a similar standard but I doubt it.

Because the home of Spurs will always be WHL to me, I'd like to keep the station name the same too. However I can see from the club's perspective that once naming rights to the stadium have been granted, and the term "WHL" is no longer used (officially) in relation to THFC, then they would prefer to have the station named in such a way that it directly relates to (and therefore advertises) the club. Assuming that mirroring the name of the new stadium would not be possible (i.e. I can't see TFL agreeing to name one of their stations with Nike branding, for example), then the next best thing is to simply name it after the club.
(And as an aside, if anyone had hopes that ''at White Hart Lane' or ''The Lane'' or something similar would be worked into the new stadium name, I think this story, if true, implies that is unlikely to happen).

The story is a heavy distortion of facts.

It is TfL who are extremely keen to dissolve the station name 'White Hart Lane', and to replace it with North Tottenham, 'in order that it complements South Tottenham'. At this point, it should be recognised that TfL only began discussing a name change after Northumberland Development Project had gained significant planning traction.

What is clear is that our decision to heavily invest has presented a clear commercial opportunity for TfL, and they are keen to explore that as it aligns with their revenue growth strategy. It is within that context where we would like to influence the direction of any rename as the new station will act as a major artery into NDP.

Regarding project progress, NDP is now almost bang on schedule as the construction team successfully gained time over the summer. Installation of the raker beams brought form to the site, and these will be complemented further as the first SPS spans are installed this month. Beyond, construction of Core 6 will begin in earnest in mid-November.

We cannot however influence projects beyond our control, other than to stress how important it is that promised infrastructure is there to receive and support development.

I'd rather the station remains White Hart Lane - I wonder though if changing it would help with naming rights? Removing all trace of the previous name

I think that may be the case. There are plans to rename the last bit of WHL (or first bit by street numbering) near the High Road, which makes sense given the confusion it causes.

Spot on Matilda. Tourists and other fans ask me where the Spurs ground is and get confused when I say it is in Haringey near Seven Sisters or Northumberland Park or whatever... They've never heard of those names.

They always assumed it was in Tottenham next to "Tottenham station" or whatever.

(And as an aside, if anyone had hopes that ''at White Hart Lane' or ''The Lane'' or something similar would be worked into the new stadium name, I think this story, if true, implies that is unlikely to happen).[/QUOTE]

It's still White Hart Lane though...That's the area...and it sounds right.
White for the shirt... Hart for the passion...and The Lane...from We are Tottenham
:)

Surely if renamed the newly refurbished station should be called Tottenham Hotspur?

I'm sure someone once suggested something similar for Gloucester Road tube station.

QI5OPLp.png

Back