• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project - Archway Have Appealed

But isn't the regeneration of the area at least in part contingent upon THFC's ability to remain in the borough, which given the importance of the new stadium to the club's long-term future they would otherwise be obliged to move elsewhere if they cannot go ahead with it?

Is it not also true that the prospect of losing the club and all that it means to the local area so alarmed the Council that they at last got their finger out and started co-operating with the club to ensure they were able to remain?

Finally is it not also true that the whole regeneration plan would never have been conceived were it not for the club's desire for the surrounding area to be uplifted?

The SoS has presumably taken all these factors into account and decided that a regeneration without the club would leave the area pretty much bereft and susceptible to further unrest.

But isn't the regeneration of the area at least in part contingent upon THFC's ability to remain in the borough, which given the importance of the new stadium to the club's long-term future they would otherwise be obliged to move elsewhere if they cannot go ahead with it?

Is it not also true that the prospect of losing the club and all that it means to the local area so alarmed the Council that they at last got their finger out and started co-operating with the club to ensure they were able to remain?

Finally is it not also true that the whole regeneration plan would never have been conceived were it not for the club's desire for the surrounding area to be uplifted?

The SoS has presumably taken all these factors into account and decided that a regeneration without the club would leave the area pretty much bereft and susceptible to further unrest.

The riots probably played a big part in getting the council and government more engaged too.

I think that there are probably more cost effective ways of regenerating the area than us building a new stadium. I would be interesting in knowing how many jobs in the area are dependent on the club being located in Haringey and how many more jobs in the borough are expected to be created by the new stadium.

The counter argument will be that the wider scheme isn't viable without the extra people that the new stadium will bring to the area.... That the THFC stadium development is kick starting the regeneration and vital to attract the investment for the other schemes.

It's not a water tight argument though- which is why they're appealing

Does the SoS's decision have to rest wholly on whether it can be demonstrated economically that the regeneration could succeed equally well without the club or is he allowed to make an overarching judgment call on the wider, less tangible benefits that the continuing presence of a prestigious club like Tottenham can bring to the neighbourhood?

Here's what the Leader of the Borough, Cllr Kober said back in January 2011:

“Residents of the borough, regardless of whether they are football fans or Spurs fans, really value the club’s presence in the borough, they value the history of that. Should the club go it will be a real hammer blow to the people of Haringey.”Last September, Spurs sent expectations soaring when the club won planning permission for a dream new 56,000-seat stadium at White Hart Lane – only to announce its Olympic Stadium bid the following day to the dismay of many loyal fans.Tottenham Hotspur is now competing against West Ham United Football Club for the stadium in Stratford – and a decision is expected by January 28.If the club leaves the borough it would end more than a century of shared history.But Councillor Kober also highlighted the work of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, which is respected for community projects supporting schools, children in care, the elderly and many others across Haringey.“The campaign to keep Spurs in the borough is not just a campaign about football and supporters of the club,” she said.“There are a number of benefits that the club brings to the borough from the Tottenham Foundation, which does some fantastic work with our voluntary and community sector, to the prestige of having the words Tottenham associated with a top class, internationally renowned football team that’s doing so well this season.“That’s before you even come on to the regeneration benefits associated with a £450million stadium development in one of the poorest wards in London.”

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/n...attle_cry_to_keep_spurs_in_tottenham_1_773576

does anyone know. when this will be heard in the courts?

It's not a water tight argument though- which is why they're appealing

They're appealing because they lost the chance of a payday a long time ago and are hoping that Spurs will come in with a pay off rather than waste the time fighting it.

Any idea how many jobs the new Sainsuburs created?

They're appealing because they lost the chance of a payday a long time ago and are hoping that Spurs will come in with a pay off rather than waste the time fighting it.

Yes, that will have crossed their minds, but don't think their appeal doesn't have any legal merit. It does.

Yes, that will have crossed their minds, but don't think their appeal doesn't have any legal merit. It does.
I really don't think it does. In fact there's no angle anyone has presented that makes any sense so far.

I don't think it is correct.

I haven't seen the inspector's report (is it public?) but from the decision notice it looks like he recommended against the CPO because most of the public interest gains were funded from the public purse. He reportedly said that if the CPO were upheld then the original S106 settlement ought to be reinstated if possible.

I don't think it is correct.

I haven't seen the inspector's report (is it public?) but from the decision notice it looks like he recommended against the CPO because most of the public interest gains were funded from the public purse. He reportedly said that if the CPO were upheld then the original S106 settlement ought to be reinstated if possible.

That was my reading of the coverage of Pickle's decision. The CPO was rejected in the current form and he recommended reinstatement of the S106 settlement. The inspector didn't say this was the only way to make it acceptable and the SoS made other less extensive suggestions.

A weakness of the CPO is that it was only for the NDP - a private development - when applied for. All the rest of the North Tottenham scheme was added later. If the CPO was rejected, could Haringey try again as the NDP is part of the broader redevelopment of the area, which is unequivocally in the public interest?

I really don't think it does. In fact there's no angle anyone has presented that makes any sense so far.

Okay, so let me get this straight.

Here we have a local business who have been in place for years, good title to their property, not done anything wrong. They've stated they do not want to move and have rejected private offers to buy their property.

They are now contesting a CPO awarded against the advice of planning officers for a local authority to purchase the land from Archway to allow for the private investors in THFC to complete a private capital project with the main aim of improving and developing the prospects of THFC's majority shareholder ENIC a private investment company owned by a billionaire residing in a tax haven who flicks two fingers up at the British tax payer.

They might not win, but you're extremely naive if you think a half decent lawyer couldn't make a pretty convincing argument that the CPO is bull**** and against the spirit and intent of the CPO process. It would then be down to haringey's team to come up with something more convincing.

Here we have a local business who have been in place for years, good title to their property, not done anything wrong. They've stated they do not want to move and have rejected private offers to buy their property.

They are now contesting a CPO awarded against the advice of planning officers for a local authority to purchase the land from Archway to allow for the private investors in THFC to complete a private capital project with the main aim of improving and developing the prospects of THFC's majority shareholder ENIC a private investment company owned by a billionaire residing in a tax haven who flicks two fingers up at the British tax payer.

They might not win, but you're extremely naive if you think a half decent lawyer couldn't make a pretty convincing argument that the CPO is bull**** and against the spirit and intent of the CPO process. It would then be down to haringey's team to come up with something more convincing.

This situation is precisely what CPOs are for. It doesn't matter whether they've done anything wrong or who profits - CPOs are there to stop greedy ***** from getting in the way of progress. A lawyer may make a decent fist of an argument, but it won't be one that hasn't been heard (and dismissed) a thousand times before.

**** local businesses and **** anyone who pretends they wouldn't be sat in the Bahamas if they were sat on a few £B. Spurs getting a shiny new stadium is somewhere in the top half of my priority list. Some greedy ***** I've never heard of running some two bit business I've never heard of making a bit of cash is somewhere below improving the quality of half time snacks at Rotherham United in that list.

This situation is precisely what CPOs are for. It doesn't matter whether they've done anything wrong or who profits - CPOs are there to stop greedy ***** from getting in the way of progress. A lawyer may make a decent fist of an argument, but it won't be one that hasn't been heard (and dismissed) a thousand times before.

**** local businesses and **** anyone who pretends they wouldn't be sat in the Bahamas if they were sat on a few £B. Spurs getting a shiny new stadium is somewhere in the top half of my priority list. Some greedy ***** I've never heard of running some two bit business I've never heard of making a bit of cash is somewhere below improving the quality of half time snacks at Rotherham United in that list.

[emoji120]

But it not just THFC that are benefitting, the whole area is being upgraded. That is what Archway is stopping.

But it not just THFC that are benefitting, the whole area is being upgraded. That is what Archway is stopping.

It could be argued that they're stopping THFC's stadium NOT the wider regeneration

I don't think that anyone is saying that they would not like to see us in a new stadium. The possible grounds for Archway's case are just being discussed because a couple of posters were saying that the result of the case was a certainty. I agree with NWND that Archway at the very least have a case for challenging the CPO decision.

But if the stadium is not built, the land for the rest of the regeneration is not there.

So where have Tottenham or the council offered Archway to go,is it near where they are now,i presume the premises they've been offered must be better with the amount of money they are going to get if they do move. With the money they must be able to buy better machinery meaning more orders and new contracts.

Back