• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project - Archway Have Appealed

So where have Tottenham or the council offered Archway to go,is it near where they are now,i presume the premises they've been offered must be better with the amount of money they are going to get if they do move. With the money they must be able to buy better machinery meaning more orders and new contracts.

I believe it's a vacant lot closer to the North circular, but they would have to fund a new building themselves.

The site is '500 White Hart Lane' which I believe is somewhere the other side of WHL station.

As for Archway vs us I haven't the faintest clue as to what is happening, all the ITK and even the news reports have been vague at best.

Just checked on Google Earth/maps, 500 WHL is a massive empty plot of land that looks suitable for a miserable steelworks to move into!

It could be argued that they're stopping THFC's stadium NOT the wider regeneration

Maybe we should just give up, and ask archway to lead the regeneration of the area.

Meanwhile let's collaborate with google to cone up done new fangled 3d glasses for the absolute personalized stadium experience without leaving home. Probably faster than building the stadium and we could get the glasses out worldwide to millions of fans.

Just checked on Google Earth/maps, 500 WHL is a massive empty plot of land that looks suitable for a miserable steelworks to move into!

The planning permission was 2010, iirc. If they haven't built something, it has probably expired.

Edit: Although perhaps the demolition of the old building means the project is ongoing.

Last edited:

Maybe we should just give up, and ask archway to lead the regeneration of the area.

Meanwhile let's collaborate with google to cone up done new fangled 3d glasses for the absolute personalized stadium experience without leaving home. Probably faster than building the stadium and we could get the glasses out worldwide to millions of fans.

Best option viability and financially wise was Stratford.

The current NLD project is a massive **** sandwich IMO

Best option viability and financially wise was Stratford.

The current NLD project is a massive **** sandwich IMO

It might have made the most sense financially but it was wrong for a number of other reasons. We'd be no better than MK Dons or them lot down the road if we had moved to Stratford.

It might have made the most sense financially but it was wrong for a number of other reasons. We'd be no better than MK Dons or them lot down the road if we had moved to Stratford.

Agreed. Just don't think people realise how hard it has been to even get a new stadium in Tottenham to any kind of viability. Took best part of a decade of lobbying local government just to improve transport infrastructure to required levels

Stratford wasn't a serious bid imv - more making sure West Ham never got a free run at it. i mean our bid was to demolish the stadium and transport our current plans there :lol:

Stratford wasn't a serious bid imv - more making sure West Ham never got a free run at it. i mean our bid was to demolish the stadium and transport our current plans there :lol:
I think that it was. When we were invited to submit a bid and told that our plans to remove the running track were not a barrier, I think that became our preferred option because of the vastly superior transport links.

i think had we seriously wanted it we would have got it, simple as really.

as i say our bid was nothing more than relocating our current design for the NDP to the Stratford site - that doesn't suggest to me we gave the bid our utmost attention.

I doubt it ever became plan A in reality and the expectations were probably more as a bargaining tool, to overcome the lack of viability that became apparent at exactly same time the Stratford option became acceptable (no running track).

However, I have little doubt that we would have moved if awarded the stadium site. It would have taken a special offer to stay in Haringey and overwhelming fan opposition to overcome the advantages Stratford offered.

as i say our bid was nothing more than relocating our current design for the NDP to the Stratford site - that doesn't suggest to me we gave the bid our utmost attention.
The problem that we had was that the government/LLDC used us to get a better deal. We didn't bid originally because we didn't want a mixed use stadium. We were then encouraged to bid and were told that the running track being removed would not be an issue. We then lost out because of our plans to redevelop the stadium. If we were just using it to get a better deal in Tottenham, we would have done that from the off.

I think it was as simple as that in some ways but there was a little more to it in how the numbers balanced: we write off a £200m stadium and build the planned new Spurs stadium for £250m. Because the infrastructure was there it would be about the same as building the stadium in Tottenham, for a total of £450m. Nothing wrong with that financially. The original stadium wasn't built for West Ham, Spurs or Essex County Cricket or Coldplay concerts. It was built for the 2012 Olympic Games and it went very well thanks.

Morally, you can see how committees/public would object. Writing off a brand new world class arena? Plus the joke of a "legacy". It's an easy, powerful word to band around. But it was hardly thought through. It would be the same of me lying on my deathbed at the age of 90 thinking "right what shall I leave as my legacy?". Any notion of a legacy should have been settled before the plans were finalised.

So these jokers had a valuable asset and only three realistic tennants. They would have loved the biggest club they could get, but Tottenham were too far. They would have loved the closest club, but Orient are too small. West Ham are the compromise, but are not close enough nor big enough.

I do feel for Orient in all of this. Imagine if they had built the Olympic Stadium at Picketts Lock instead, and West Ham got awarded their running track there over us.

At least in 20 years time there won't be a West Ham.

A Hammerista of my acquaintance insists that Stratford is in West Ham.

I point out to him that East Ham (including the Boleyn Ground) is not.

And where did Old Castle play ? What fcuking castle was there before the merger(s) ?

What links teetotallism, fudge packing, and paedophilia ?

Wet Spam

A Hammerista of my acquaintance insists that Stratford is in West Ham.

I point out to him that East Ham (including the Boleyn Ground) is not.

And where did Old Castle play ? What fcuking castle was there before the merger(s) ?

What links teetotallism, fudge packing, and paedophilia ?

Wet Spam

Aren't West Ham named as such because the club they were formed from (Thames Ironworks) were located in West Ham?

Apparently several players from Old Castle Swifts FC, another West Ham club that had folded, joined Thames Ironworks FC when it formed. Old Castle Swifts formed from by a merger of Castle Swifts FC (a works team for the Union-Castle Shipping line) and Old St Lukes FC (presumably a youth team organised by a church).

Thames Ironworks also took over the football ground so the history of taking over unused grounds started early. The Hermit Road ground was in Canning Town.

Last edited:

This is a very simple regeneration issue.

Tottenham Hotspur put forward a case to redevelop a run-down part of London.

Local Council works with THFC to create regeneration plan.

Local Council use CPO's to drive through regeneration.

Local business feels it is being harshly treated and appeals.

Local business delays the project but loses appeal.

The stadium is built.

Here endeth the lesson.

Back