• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Yes, those were the Roman provinces with a north south split, but I think Britannia inferior was northern England and only the bit of Scotland under Roman control. Britannia superior was the south of England (possibly excluding Cornwall) and Wales.

Why can't a country be both?
Indeed, why wouldn't a country with the attributes you like not Great? If said country had those attributes then I think they would be very justified in adding Great to their name.

A humble country would not need to say it was great. Just quitely go about its business.

I know the discussion has moved on a bit, but I just wanted to point out that 25 minutes is the estimated time for the pitch to roll into (or out from under) the South Stand but it will take waaaaay more time for them to ensure all fans are out of the seats, all litter and loose items are cleared, lift up the first few rows of the South Stand, ensure all personnel are away from the sidelines, ensure all loose items are out of the way, lift up the sidelines flaps... also there is the mystery of the rails.

People are assuming these rails will sit deep... and the NFL astroturf pitch will have infill strips somehow... but we really don't know much about all of the above points. Elf and Safety and all that.

I was thinking we might even stow the pitch away if there's a lot of bad weather. i.e. heavy rain/snow.

Imagine it's been snowing all day for a couple of days and we can roll out a perfect pitch?
I'm sure I remember reading that was the plan when they first announced it - that we could avoid the worst of the frosts by tucking it away.

I love how you can tell how old people are by their reaction to music :p

I jest, but in all honesty that's some very inoffensive music. Highlight videos tend to have some of the most offensive obscure electronic music, I find...so Mr AV's backing music is a most welcome end of the electronic spectrum. Not really my usual part of the music world though so I don't know the artist.

"Great" does not have just one meaning and neither indeed does "greater", but they don't mean the same as each other in any event.
Great Britain consists of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which form the Island of Great Britain and have done since time immemorial. In Roman Times Britannia was to all intents and purposes England, Wales was Cambria, and Scotland was Caledonia (Ireland was Hibernia). The term Great Britain came into use to distinguish the island from its constituent parts. In 1284 the Principality of Wales came under the power of English Kings. The Laws in Wales Acts 1545-1553 incorporated Wales into England. In 1603 on the accession of James VI of Scotland became James I of England and Wales. Thenceforth every King or Queen of England and Wales was also that of Scotland. In 1707 the State of Great Britain came into existence, consisting of the island of Great Britain. The name of the state was changed in 1801 to Great Britain and Ireland, when the two elements were unified. This changed in 1922 to Great Britain and Northern Ireland after the Irish Free State was formed.
Note that in French, Great Britain is "La Grande Bretagne" distinguishing it from Bretagne which is Brittany. But it is not known as "La Plus Grande Bretagne" any more than in German it is known as GrosserBritannien rather than GrossBritannien, as you seek to imply.
The concept of Greater Britain has two disparate aspects entirely different to what you have stated:
One was a publication of Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists in the 1930's.
The other was a Victorian movement which envisaged a greater union between Great Britain and Ireland and the "settler colonies" such as Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
So "Great" in "Great Britain" did not signify magnificent or powerful, but anyone trying to suggest that Great Britain has never been a World Power and its subjects proud of that fact, or even more nonsensically that the United States has never been in that situation is seriously deluded. Indeed Great Britain and the USA amongst others were known throughout the World during the first half of the twentieth century as the "Great Powers". Therefore it seems to me that wanting to "Make America great again" or indeed "Make Britain great again" is not a contradiction in terms as is suggested here. There may be some who are uncomfortable with the idea of their country being great in this sense, but there are others who disagree.

Have you looked at a map recently? 'Cos last time I looked you had to fly/swim from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

Pomposity and unquestioning belief in Wikipedia are uneasy bedfellows.

I love how you can tell how old people are by their reaction to music :p

I jest, but in all honesty that's some very inoffensive music. Highlight videos tend to have some of the most offensive obscure electronic music, I find...so Mr AV's backing music is a most welcome end of the electronic spectrum. Not really my usual part of the music world though so I don't know the artist.

I wonder what age-bracket my reaction places me in.

Is our new stadium big enough to host the Superbowl? I can see the NFL hosting it in London in the near-ish future.
Superbowl will never be hosted outside the continental U.S. Too much of a boon for the host city and there'd be a riot if they shipped all that cash overseas. Not to mention that probably 50% of fans of the participating teams don't have a passport to travel abroad. And then there's the start time, which is typically 6:30 pm east coast time, meaning kickoff would have to be 11:30 pm UK time.

Would have been nice, though, and what amazing advertising and revenue for the club.

Roughly 6 months until we can first use the stadium - they should have a good idea of whether they're on schedule by now.

The roof lift is still the biggest focus for the moment. If that is delayed past early march we are slipping on a major piece of work. I also feel personally that the south podium space (behind the south stand) is also extremely time sensitive, so I'm hoping there are no major delays with that aspect of the built.

The west entrance is starting to change a lot visually now as well, so that's a good sign.

Superbowl will never be hosted outside the continental U.S. Too much of a boon for the host city and there'd be a riot if they shipped all that cash overseas. Not to mention that probably 50% of fans of the participating teams don't have a passport to travel abroad. And then there's the start time, which is typically 6:30 pm east coast time, meaning kickoff would have to be 11:30 pm UK time.

Would have been nice, though, and what amazing advertising and revenue for the club.

Convential American wisdom ain't what it used to be. I know a marketing company executive who has discussed with NFL officials the logistics of hosting a Super Bowl outside the lower 48.

Didn't have today's stringent passport regulations - or machine-gun toting border guards - in place when that talk occurred. But the NFL has most definitely considered the matter and still has it on a back burner somewhere.

Have you looked at a map recently? 'Cos last time I looked you had to fly/swim from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

Pomposity and unquestioning belief in Wikipedia are uneasy bedfellows.
Mea culpa. I was reviewing Wales and Northern Ireland a lot while editing dates as the state of Great Britain has had a few changes over the centuries, and I clearly removed Scotland rather than Northern Ireland by mistake in this instance. It tends to suggest though that I wasn't cutting and pasting, unless you can find somewhere in Wikipedia or possibly elsewhere that suggests exactly the same thing as my mistake, which would surprise me. That said, my reviews were clearly inadequate.
I tend not to take Wikipedia as gospel unless it is backed up by other sources.
Pomposity is something you may accuse me of if you don't want to discuss the facts.

Back