• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Mea culpa. I was reviewing Wales and Northern Ireland a lot while editing dates as the state of Great Britain has had a few changes over the centuries, and I clearly removed Scotland rather than Northern Ireland by mistake in this instance. It tends to suggest though that I wasn't cutting and pasting, unless you can find somewhere in Wikipedia or possibly elsewhere that suggests exactly the same thing as my mistake, which would surprise me. That said, my reviews were clearly inadequate.
I tend not to take Wikipedia as gospel unless it is backed up by other sources.
Pomposity is something you may accuse me of if you don't want to discuss the facts.

s-l300.jpg

NEW STADIUM UPDATE: COMMENCEMENT OF ROOF LIFT
A key milestone on the site of our new stadium has been achieved following the completion of the compression ring, the final step before the stadium's roof structure is raised into place.

The compression ring sits at the back of the four stands and creates an elliptically-shaped ring, which will hold the cable net roof structure. After the cables have been lifted into position the roof will be covered with 287 glass roof sections and 810 cassettes.

THE ROOF LIFT EXPLAINED

Supporters who regularly watch our live stadium webcams will be aware of the flying columns that are currently positioned in the stands across the stadium site.

These columns will form the inner part of the roof and are connected to an upper and a lower tension ring in the centre of the roof. You can see the lower tension ring on the ground inside the stadium bowl, and the upper tension ring connected to the top of the flying columns. The tension rings are connected back to the compression ring by 45 radial cables, which are laid out on the tiers in the bowl. It will take a number of days to connect all the cables before the roof lift commences.

These cables will all be tightened at the same time by strand jacks (lifting jacks attached to the cables) until the roof is sufficiently tensioned to structurally support itself.

The whole process takes a number of weeks and is dependent on weather conditions. Once in place, the roof will form the highest point of our new home.

KEY STATS

- The roof is made up of 287 glass roof sections and 810 roof cassettes consisting of metal and acoustic panels facing the bowl, and a membrane facing the sky
- The structural cables on site measure a total of approximately 10km
- When raised, the roof cable structure will weigh 600 tonnes
- A force of 20,000 tonnes will be used to lift the roof via the tension cables
- 54 flying columns create the support between the upper and lower tension rings
- The roof features 324 LED sports lights, (six attached to each flying column), which form the floodlighting for the stadium

Keep an eye on our channels for more updates on our new stadium site.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/new-stadium-update-commencement-of-roof-lift-080218/

"The roof features 324 LED sports lights, (six attached to each flying column), which form the floodlighting for the stadium"

Ah! Looking forward to seeing the finished look of that.

"The roof features 324 LED sports lights, (six attached to each flying column), which form the floodlighting for the stadium"

Ah! Looking forward to seeing the finished look of that.

Hopefully they are multi-coloured so it looks like a huge seedy sauna ... seedy ron can you vouch?

Last edited:
Can we set up a petition to get "Compression Ring" into next years Oxford English Dictionary.

OK maybe we'll have to setle for the Urban Dictionary. Either way, I'm finding the mere mention of it, adds a bit of air to the old inner tube :oops:

That’s just shows how massive it is. Look at that south stand! It’s bigger than the whole height of the old whl stadiums and it’s the lowest part of the new stadium right?

Not sure exactly what you mean by the lowest part? The back, and highest part of the south stand, is essentially the same height as the top of the other stands.

Not sure exactly what you mean by the lowest part? The back, and highest part of the south stand, is essentially the same height as the top of the other stands.
I think he mean that if you sit at the top step of the south stand you are going to be higher up than if you were sat on the roof of White Hart Lane.

Back