• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project - CPO Now Granted!!!

Yeah - the other 98% of the Wingate Estate jumped at our generosity when we bought it all up (which we've been doing piece-by-piece over the last decade)

Although in an area like that, I daresay that it is not hundreds of small tenants that we were dealing with but a smaller number of companies/landlords who were probably not too hard to convince about getting a return on their investment and a lot of work off their hands. I expect that 'generosity' is a stretch considering Daniel's reputation.

Not complete bull****. Iirc, it was one of the objections - one of five (?) put forward by lawyers for Archway - that was listed in the document approving the CPO. It was dismissed by the SoS, but could still be tried as the basis of an appeal to the European court. It's just unlikely to succeed. It could still be a cause for delay, though.

The letter does say that the state aid issue is a separate one to the CPO and doesn't prevent the decision. Ultimately, if state aid is proven, then it would be recovered through the courts. Rather than forcing the CPO to be cancelled.

Where is the idea that it need to go Europe wide from? It's not a public project, it's private so it doesn't need to go through OJEU

McLaren will be all over this and have been working on local remediation and enabling works for the stadium since they started the Sainsburys.

There was also a meeting held last week with the box holders to discuss new catering arrangements. Afterwards some of the box jokers who were construction related were taken aside and advised of the processes and timescales the club are following.

I'll chase my friends who were there for details later this week

IMO the only issue now is the money

Where is the idea that it need to go Europe wide from? It's not a public project, it's private so it doesn't need to go through OJEU

McLaren will be all over this and have been working on local remediation and enabling works for the stadium since they started the Sainsburys.

There was also a meeting held last week with the box holders to discuss new catering arrangements. Afterwards some of the box jokers who were construction related were taken aside and advised of the processes and timescales the club are following.

I'll chase my friends who were there for details later this week

IMO the only issue now is the money

That was just my experience. I don't work in the public sector, but when we had a contract for more than £1/4m my procurement department told me it was over a threshold and had to go out EU-wide. I've just looked up what you said about OJEU and you are right/they were wrong - we only needed to do what we did if we were public (it didn't make that much difference in the end, just a few extra Dutch companies bid).

That was just my experience. I don't work in the public sector, but when we had a contract for more than £1/4m my procurement department told me it was over a threshold and had to go out EU-wide. I've just looked up what you said about OJEU and you are right/they were wrong - we only needed to do what we did if we were public (it didn't make that much difference in the end, just a few extra Dutch companies bid).

Not an issue... I think your procurement dept may just either to OJEU rules

I'm a procurement and commercial consultant and I've worked in construction and facilities for most of my career. I used to be the lead purchasing guy for the largest retailer in the UK and I've worked on various stadium and mixed use projects.

This will be the largest development of its type in Europe now for some time so their will be some big fish after the contract which can only be a good thing

Not an issue... I think your procurement dept may just either to OJEU rules

I'm a procurement and commercial consultant and I've worked in construction and facilities for most of my career. I used to be the lead purchasing guy for the largest retailer in the UK and I've worked on various stadium and mixed use projects.

This will be the largest development of its type in Europe now for some time so their will be some big fish after the contract which can only be a good thing

You see its nice to see someone with genuine knowledge of this type of thing point out the huge scale of the project and put it into context.

In that context, it makes me laugh how people just come out with rubbish like "why haven't we got a new stadium sorted yet?" "Why's it taking so long?" "What are ENIC up to, they need to pull their finger out?" "Why have they gone for a redesign, why not just start digging FFS!" "If we were a serious club we'd have built that stadium in a couple of weeks".

You see its nice to see someone with genuine knowledge of this type of thing point out the huge scale of the project and put it into context.

In that context, it makes me laugh how people just come out with rubbish like "why haven't we got a new stadium sorted yet?" "Why's it taking so long?" "What are ENIC up to, they need to pull their finger out?" "Why have they gone for a redesign, why not just start digging FFS!" "If we were a serious club we'd have built that stadium in a couple of weeks".

As a one off capital construction project this is huge. I've looked at the construction news journal and their is nothing of this size as a one off within a relatively small location currently out there in the UK

There are plenty of civil and domestic projects but no real major construction schemes

Realistically if we did get this started before the new year I'd be stunned. However I fully expect real traction in the early part of the new year now that panning constraints have all been practically resolved.

I have a fear though that finance is the issue but I hope I'm wrong

Staying silent being the main culprit.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/07/14/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-London.aspx

The NFL has begun meeting with potential alternative venues in London to Wembley Stadium, its host since the league began playing regular-season games there in 2007.

The NFL is contracted to play at Wembley through 2016, and the talks with other parties, which sources said include English Premier League clubs and London’s Olympic Stadium, are at an early stage.

The league could stage the games in multiple venues if it brings over more games. Parsons mentioned as theoretical options Twickenham Stadium, an 82,000-seat rugby venue outside of London, and the city’s Olympic Stadium, which will host EPL squad West Ham United starting in 2016. Other sources said talks have occurred with Tottenham Hotspur, a London club that has plans to build a new 58,000-seat venue in the city by 2017, and that even the stadium in Cardiff, two hours from London, is a possibility.

A spokeswoman for Tottenham denied talks had occurred with the NFL.

If a club relocated to London, a topic of discussion inside and outside the league, the NFL likely would want a single location for that team.

Interesting. Weren't there some rumours doing the rounds a while back that we were looking at this possibility?

That's awfully nice... Except west ham won't be playing in the premier league in AD2016 as they are due to drop down again for their usual year amidst the scum

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/07/14/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-London.aspx

Interesting. Weren't there some rumours doing the rounds a while back that we were looking at this possibility?

The NFL has to sacrifice the first 8-10 rows of seats at Wembley because the jumble of big bodies all along the NFL sidelines blocks the view of spectators. That problem would probably be even worse at the Olympic Stadium. The shallow slope of the new, retractable stands means even more rows of seats in the lower areas would be obstructed.

Add that to the wide amount of space that remains between the sideline to the stands and you have a visual nightmare that would look awful on television with fans sitting quite distant from the sidelines. The NFL won't go for that. They endured the exact same problem in Toronto's Rogers Centre with the shallow slope of movable seating primarily designed for baseball. It created a less-than-optimal stadium experience with fans forced to sit well back from the action. The NFL just pulled out of games in the Rogers Centre and won't repeat that mistake in London.

So, the Olympic stadium is likely a no go. There's probably similar seating issues over at Stade Escargot, plus, you know, the usual spate of Islington corgi trials and croquet tourneys cluttering up the calendar there. Twickenham is like Wembley, with issues over having more than a certain number of match days. But Spurs are designing a whole new stadium that could create ideal seating arrangements for each sport with plenty of time so far to work out details and plan transportation infrastructure.

Love how the article kind of twirls around the situation with other stadiums mentioned before getting to Tottenham's denial of talks. I've seen that before. MegaLane is their tailor-made solution.

Last edited:

Agree, would be great to see the first 8 rows slide under the stands with a new flooring brought in.

Can someone give me a quick summary of what's happening with the new stadium please. CPO granted yes, what does it mean, when do we start building.

Can someone give me a quick summary of what's happening with the new stadium please. CPO granted yes, what does it mean, when do we start building.

Hehe, is this a joke? we have no idea all of the above is speculative chit chat with a few facts that are over 2 years old.

Next stages are:

- Submit revised planning permission for the Populous design

- Put the building contract out to tender

Building work could start anytime in the next 6-12 months.

Next stages are:

- Submit revised planning permission for the Populous design

- Put the building contract out to tender

Building work could start anytime in the next 6-12 months.

Thank you.

Why haven't they come those things already whilst waiting for the CPO decision?

Why haven't they come those things already whilst waiting for the CPO decision?

Populous have only been on the job a few months and things have potentially been changing rapidly re the NFL situation. I'd guess they are only now at the stage where their final designs are ready to be submitted. Remember if we'd built this in 2009 as originally intended, our stadium would be a starting-to-date copy of the Emirates. By revising it nearer to the build we're able to get a bigger, more cutting edge, and more versatile stadium.

There was also the chance that Archway's appeal would be successful, in which case the whole project could have been derailed. Waiting for Friday's confirmation of the decision ensured we didn't waste a lot of money on a dead end project.

Apparently these next two steps should be largely formalities - the planning permission we'll need isn't that different to the one we've already got, and the procurement process apparently isn't that drawn-out.

Populous have only been on the job a few months and things have potentially been changing rapidly re the NFL situation. I'd guess they are only now at the stage where their final designs are ready to be submitted. Remember if we'd built this in 2009 as originally intended, our stadium would be a starting-to-date copy of the Emirates. By revising it nearer to the build we're able to get a bigger, more cutting edge, and more versatile stadium.

There was also the chance that Archway's appeal would be successful, in which case the whole project could have been derailed. Waiting for Friday's confirmation of the decision ensured we didn't waste a lot of money on a dead end project.

Apparently these next two steps should be largely formalities - the planning permission we'll need isn't that different to the one we've already got, and the procurement process apparently isn't that drawn-out.

Populous have actually been on the job for 18 months or more now! I'm pretty sure that the new design was drawn up long ago - though it may have been tweaked in the intervening months.

My guess is that Spurs didn't want to apply for new planning permission before the the CPO decision was announced simply because it might have looked somewhat previous - as if they knew that the decision would go their way. No point handing Archway any ammunition for a potential appeal. Better to bide their time; keep it all under wraps until the CPO was a fait accompli.

As to the second part of indianspur's question - going out to tender - there's no point doing that until you have a clear idea of when construction is going to begin. Prices could change a fair bit if, for instance, the project was to suffer a six month delay.

I would expect with Levy in charge the building will come in on budget, unlike anything paid for by public money.

Back