• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project - Archway On Fire

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Happy new year lads! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

I am guessing business wise all clubs would want it, the advantage we would have over Wembley is having a custom made stadium which could incorporate a NFL team, I would worry though whether it would still feel like a home to us and also what it would do to the pitch otherwise I could not care less. Can not stand the sport it is stupid but if people want to waste their money watching it then that is their business.

The advantage also means our interests have to be combined with the NFL interests. It wouldn't be a free lunch (a shiny new stadium for free), but it's still possible to envisage a solution that suits both parties.

The stadium can help, but the bottom line is home is what we make of it. From most accounts, the current WHL is not what it used to be, despite the results being relatively good on a historical scale. If a dual use stadium, increases revenues and improves results it will help the atmosphere. I suspect nothing will return it to the old style.

Kevin Carpenter @KevSportsLaw
Heard #NFL are part funding Tottenham's new stadium as it will be home to a London franchise. I hope that's right as I don't like Wembley.

http://www.hilldingdonginson.com/our_people/PersonDetails.aspx?personid=308916

Anyone saying "Heard..." basically means "I read on Twitter that..."

Hope not, unless we are gonna have two pitches. I don't like the way the pitch is at Wembley after an NFL game.

Hope not, unless we are gonna have two pitches. I don't like the way the pitch is at Wembley after an NFL game.

That's apparently the plan - the American Football/concert one will fold out on top.

I am guessing business wise all clubs would want it, the advantage we would have over Wembley is having a custom made stadium which could incorporate a NFL team, I would worry though whether it would still feel like a home to us and also what it would do to the pitch otherwise I could not care less. Can not stand the sport it is stupid but if people want to waste their money watching it then that is their business.

I wouldn't worry about the pitch, because they would most probably use a second artificial surface that can be layed on top. Also the redesign might be related to this, as the NFL afaic, want 60k minimum capasity.

Think we've covered this before in this thread..

Wembley can only host x many events a year because of it's suburban location?

A full season of NFL would take up y of those events a season?

So I think we decided it wasn't in Wembley's interests as it would be too disruptive to their calendar?

I think we may have discussed when the season runs as well? i.e. if it's a summer sport mostly played june/july/august then we might have less issues with the pitch?

Kevin Carpenter @KevSportsLaw
Heard #NFL are part funding Tottenham's new stadium as it will be home to a London franchise. I hope that's right as I don't like Wembley.

http://www.hilldingdonginson.com/our_people/PersonDetails.aspx?personid=308916

GB is this person NFL or Spurs affiliated? From the bold you'd think the former.

Also how do you fold out a pitch ontop of another pitch?

I wouldn't worry about the pitch, because they would most probably use a second artificial surface that can be layed on top. Also the redesign might be related to this, as the NFL afaic, want 60k minimum capasity.

I also read somewhere that NFL think Wembley is too big. They want 60k, not 90k.

GB is this person NFL or Spurs affiliated? From the bold you'd think the former.

Also how do you fold out a pitch ontop of another pitch?

I've no idea, but as you say, it sounds like from an NFL angle

I guess that because NFL pitches are artificial, it would just split in half and slide under the two side stands. It's not like the grass ones where you need the grass to move the whole thing parallel to the stadium so it can keep getting sun and rain.

The best design would have the grass pitch on top with the NFL pitch 2m lower. That way people could see over the NFL players on the sideline. If the NFL pitch is on top either the lower seats would have an obstructed view in NFL mode or would be strangely high for football.

To make room for a sliding pitch we'd either have to get extra space (e.g. the school playing field across the road) or use the space for the southern development which would limit the number of flats.

Last edited:

The best design would have the grass pitch on top with the NFL pitch 2m lower. That way people could see over the NFL players on the sideline. If the NFL pitch is on top either the lower seats would have an obstructed view in NFL mode or would be strangely high for football.

To make room for a sliding pitch we'd either have to get extra space (e.g. the school playing field across the road) or use the space for the southern development which would limit the number of flats.

The new stadium footprint (based on the piling shape) is big enough for the pitch to split in half and slide under the east and west stands.

qEUU4LA.jpg

Despite what you say about viewing, the grass would surely have to be the permanent/bottom one and the plastic one the slide-out on top/foldaway one

Great for business, but is it good for the stadium atmosphere? The football pitch? Will it feel like we're just sharing the ground with another club?

I'm sceptical about this NFL thing, to be honest. Hopefully, if it happens, it's possible to find a solution that brings in the cash AND makes sure the actual football and spectator side of it is well taken care of.

It's a marketing dream. The naming rights of an NFL stadium and EPL stadium rolled into one could break records for naming rights.

Northumberland Development Project - Archway On Fire

Im no expert but an NFL link would surely be HUGE for the club.

The extra income would potentially bring us closer to the 'top 4' financially without needing to be part of the CL gravy train.

It'd put us in a great position in the expanding US 'soccer' market - permenantly linked to a franchise in one of their major sports.

And best of all you'd have to think this kind of deal is a one off that wouldn't be copied by a rival - giving us an edge

Great for business, but is it good for the stadium atmosphere? The football pitch? Will it feel like we're just sharing the ground with another club?

I'm sceptical about this NFL thing, to be honest. Hopefully, if it happens, it's possible to find a solution that brings in the cash AND makes sure the actual football and spectator side of it is well taken care of.

I doubt the NFL thing will last 5 years. It's just American hubris that they think they can export one of their funny internal sports. Remember the London Monarchs

I doubt the NFL thing will last 5 years. It's just American hubris that they think they can export one of their funny internal sports. Remember the London Monarchs

NFL Europe was an inferior product. It had a novelty value for its first year - when the Monarchs regularly attracted 60K + to Wembley - but fans soon realised that they were being fed the U.S. equivalent of non league football. They're not mugs. So they stopped attending.

A genuine NFL team would be an altogether different prospect. Every regular season NFL game played at Wembley, since they first began eight years ago, has sold out within days - if not hours - of being put on sale. The people who run the NFL know a thing or two about making money. There's no hubris at work here. They're not in the business of backing losers. If they think that a London franchise will thrive (and they clearly do), then you had better believe that it will. By the time that the franchise is likely to be up and running, London's population will be approaching 10 million and heading north. London is home to people from all over the world - including a sizeable population of north Americans - and a vast array of global companies who will leap at the chance to snap up the all important corporate packages. That's not to mention all the NFL fans (and there are hundreds of thousands of them) all over the UK - and even the remainder of Europe - who would be attracted to games.

Im no expert but an NFL link would surely be HUGE for the club.

The extra income would potentially bring us closer to the 'top 4' financially without needing to be part of the CL gravy train.

It'd put us in a great position in the expanding US 'soccer' market - permenantly linked to a franchise in one of their major sports.

And best of all you'd have to think this kind of deal is a one off that wouldn't be copied by a rival - giving us an edge

Soccer. Franchise. US.

Such horrible horrible words (Sorry all Americans on the board ;)) when one thinks of football. But I think you're spot on!

NFL Europe was an inferior product. It had a novelty value for its first year - when the Monarchs regularly attracted 60K + to Wembley - but fans soon realised that they were being fed the U.S. equivalent of non league football. They're not mugs. So they stopped attending.

A genuine NFL team would be an altogether different prospect. Every regular season NFL game played at Wembley, since they first began eight years ago, has sold out within days - if not hours - of being put on sale. The people who run the NFL know a thing or two about making money. There's no hubris at work here. They're not in the business of backing losers. If they think that a London franchise will thrive (and they clearly do), then you had better believe that it will. By the time that the franchise is likely to be up and running, London's population will be approaching 10 million and heading north. London is home to people from all over the world - including a sizeable population of north Americans - and a vast array of global companies who will leap at the chance to snap up the all important corporate packages. That's not to mention all the NFL fans (and there are hundreds of thousands of them) all over the UK - and even the remainder of Europe - who would be attracted to games.

Yeah. I know very little about American sports, but the NFL knowing their **** seems a very solid bet.

Are you unknown in disguise. She used to say that about 5 years ago on the original stadium thread. People still think it's all a gimmick this NFL game in the UK.

remember her saying Levy should visit Patriots place in Foxboro in New England to see what they had done with there whole stadium complex. It's very impressive apparently. Many used to knock her when she talked about an NFL franchise and Tottenham being one, even remember her going on about the naming rights and certain forum members knocking her down for it.

Wonders if that original thread was saved.

Soccer. Franchise. US.

Such horrible horrible words (Sorry all Americans on the board ;)) when one thinks of football.

Strange how the S word has come to be so despised this side of the pond. When I was a kid it was if anything considered kinda cool. That WAS a very long time ago, mind! :)

Back