• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project - Archway On Fire

That round thing you kick with your foot is a soccer ball.

That egg shaped thing you throw with your hand is a football.

The earth is flat and the sun revolves around it.

Soccer. Franchise. US.

Such horrible horrible words (Sorry all Americans on the board ;)) when one thinks of football. But I think you're spot on!

Im quite a traditionalist on such matters - dead against the OS move for example but im willing to trade off in this instance - the potential upside just seems so vast it'd be silly not to - really hope it comes off!

Shockingly I'm ITK on NFL and I can say that my contact has heard nothing new on this topic of late.

"It is widely anticipated that an NFL team will eventually relocate to London with the Jacksonville Jaguars, owned by Shahid Khan, who bought Fulham in 2013, the favourites to make the move.
In 2012, NFL sources claimed a London-based franchise was "five to 10 years away", meaning Tottenham's new stadium could be ready at just the right time.
The Football Association are already interested in Wembley becoming the London base for an NFL franchise, but may struggle to accommodate a season of eight matches without moving England out of the national stadium.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...London-based-American-Football-franchise.html

Yep, story making the rounds .. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-new-stadium-looked-possible-4909996

Could be a brilliant financial move for us
- Help fund the stadium
- Help close the gap between us and money doping lot
- Continues to push awareness of our brand in US

The Mirror 'journalist' will have got the story from here or Twitter! Wouldn't take it seriously. No doubt Levy has or is exploring all opportunities however. I think there would invariably be some serious compromises with an NFL stadium, can fans be as close to the touchline, and accommodating another pitch is not straight forward - it takes up room. I would be surprised if it happened.

Last edited:

Yep, story making the rounds .. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-new-stadium-looked-possible-4909996

Could be a brilliant financial move for us
- Help fund the stadium
- Help close the gap between us and money doping lot
- Continues to push awareness of our brand in US

And could really knacker up the pitch. Imagine if we have a wet autumn/winter or whenever the yanks play this thing and they play a game on the Sat and us play on the Sun or mid-week - it would hardly give us a plaing surface condusive to a decent passing game would it?

And could really knacker up the pitch. Imagine if we have a wet autumn/winter or whenever the yanks play this thing and they play a game on the Sat and us play on the Sun or mid-week - it would hardly give us a plaing surface condusive to a decent passing game would it?

Firstly its not quite like Rugby with the massive scrums. The players are a little more spaced out. Secondly its only 8 games a season. 8. Thats it. For the massive financial gain it would be worth just relaying the pitch after 4 games and then the final game and then its finished.

That said I still believe there is no way that an NFL franchise will come to London on a permanant basis. I just cant see it happening. People go here as they already support teams. I would not go to see the new franchise unless they were playing my team. Also Surely if it the Jags as everyone is talking about then he would use it to improve Fulham and not Tottenhams ground. And then there is the lack of appeal of Tottenham compared to Wembley. It might alienate some fans as its our ground.

This would all have to be in place very soon as we are going to have to have clear funding for when we break ground. Just do no see it happening at all.

Phuck it, lets get baseball, basketball, ice hockey, rounders, table tennis, the whole 9 yards.

The Mirror 'journalist' will have got the story from here or Twitter! Wouldn't take it seriously. Not doubt Levy has or is exploring an opportunities however. I think there would invariably be some serious compromises with an NFL stadium, the fans couldn't be as close to the touchline and you have to accommodate another pitch. I would be surprised if it happened.

Not at all.

If anything, it is the NFL fans who would find themselves slightly further away from the pitch than they absolutely need to be. Check out these two pictures of Seattle's CenturyLink Field in NFL and MLS (Major League Soccer) modes respectively. The fans are far closer to the pitch in soccer mode:

image.adapt.960.high.jpg

DSC_0385.JPG

Phuck it, lets get baseball, basketball, ice hockey, rounders, table tennis, the whole 9 yards.

We could just ditch the apartment buildings and put up an indoors arena instead. Expand the brand to new venues.

Or better yet:

9119192-large.jpg

That's good to see Jimmy! Thanks for sharing.

Well you never know. No smoke without fire and all that. One thing is for sure, with his existing US connections Levy would explore this option. Quite what it would take to get it off the ground relies on other parties outside Spurs, so still a long short. Though if it did happen...

[video=youtube_share;1ryye-v-8j0]http://youtu.be/1ryye-v-8j0[/video]

I would go to nfl games at the lane and Wembley, I have come around to it.

But I wouldn't attend games at any other clubs ground. I reckon a lot of partisan non spurs footie fans would stay away from the lane too.

On the whole it sounds a great idea for us, for London and for the nfl.

It is all about the pitch though, just cannot see a viable solution. Squirrelling away an artifical surface and repeatedly setting it out safely for 25 plus stone monsters to play on must be impossible.

I would go to nfl games at the lane and Wembley, I have come around to it.

But I wouldn't attend games at any other clubs ground. I reckon a lot of partisan non spurs footie fans would stay away from the lane too.

On the whole it sounds a great idea for us, for London and for the nfl.

It is all about the pitch though, just cannot see a viable solution. Squirrelling away an artifical surface and repeatedly setting it out safely for 25 plus stone monsters to play on must be impossible.

It happens at loads of places. Think about concerts at Wembley, Emirates etc. - they don't all stand on the pitch. Or indoor areas that incorporate ice hockey rinks. Most sporting areas need to be versatile.

If there's only 8 games a season then it should be easy enough to sell then out, that's a very low amount really.

Am I right in thinking that most of the Nfl is played on Sunday's with a few games on Thursday/Monday?
Can't see how this would work with the amount of games we play on a Sunday. Surely there would be a clash at some point. Not to mention if a london team got into the playoffs which would allow for less notice for these games. Although playoffs could be played at Wembley?

Nah, not for me. We're talking about the home of Tottenham Hotspur for the next century or more. I want it to be OUR ground, not some half-baked compromise made in an effort to fulfill another American money-making wet dream. Their tedious sodding game will only ever be a niche interest in Europe, and after all the fanfare, when the experiment eventually fell flat on its аrsе and the yanks declared a victory and walked away looking for something else to satisfy their greed for more, we'd just be left with a massive white elephant. Perhaps we might offer free rides on the sliding pitch to help stop the machinery rusting away. No thanks, Todd, go and balls up someone else's legacy for the next 100 years instead.

Nah, not for me. We're talking about the home of Tottenham Hotspur for the next century or more. I want it to be OUR ground, not some half-baked compromise made in an effort to fulfill another American money-making wet dream. Their tedious sodding game will only ever be a niche interest in Europe, and after all the fanfare, when the experiment eventually fell flat on its аrsе and the yanks declared a victory and walked away looking for something else to satisfy their greed for more, we'd just be left with a massive white elephant. Perhaps we might offer free rides on the sliding pitch to help stop the machinery rusting away. No thanks, Todd, go and balls up someone else's legacy for the next 100 years instead.

I think that's what will happen, but it won't necessarily be a white elephant that is left. We'd still use the slide out bit for concerts. First and foremost it will be a purpose built football stadium. We're just using American hubris to pay for a big part of it.

I think that's what will happen, but it won't necessarily be a white elephant that is left. We'd still use the slide out bit for concerts. First and foremost it will be a purpose built football stadium. We're just using American hubris to pay for a big part of it.

I like that part.

I don't get this bitterness about the NFL looking to create a London franchise. I could understand it coming from Americans living in big US cities that don't have a franchise. They'd have a genuine case to argue. But why should Spurs fans or Londoners or Brits get their knickers in a twist about it? As I've already explained, the decision will have nothing to do with hubris. It will be based mostly on financial forecasts. And my guess is that, in time, London has the potential to become the most lucrative of all NFL franchises. All the evidence points to it being a huge financial success.

And why shouldn't the NFL expand into Europe? After all, FIFA have been busy trying to crack the US market for fifty years and finally look like succeeding. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Nothing less than hypocrisy to claim otherwise.

Other than the need for a sliding pitch and bigger changing rooms, there's no reason why any compromises need be made to accommodate American football in the stadium. And if having an NFL team share the stadium meant sharing the vast construction costs or earning an extra £10m p.a. from rent - not to mention the massively increased value of any naming rights deal - then we'd be mad not to welcome it with open arms.

As it happens, though, while I think a London NFL franchise is a certainty, I think it unlikely now that our new stadium will be its home.

Back