• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top 5 movies.

Christ
This is tough
For me its films I’ve watched over and over and not necessarily because they are great… just ones I love new use they mean something

Warrior - the MMA film
Grease - yep the musical … one of the films my parents had on video growing up
Ak vs ak - such a good film that so few non Asians have seen
The Departed
Escape to Victory - watched so much as a kid we ruined the tape
Christ… I’d have to add the Italian job in there and remove one

My 5 favourite directors are

Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese
David Lean
Frank Capra
Spike Lee
My favourite directors (and my favourite movies of theirs) are:

Coen Brothers (Raising Arizona; The Big Lebowski; The Man Who Wasn't There; Burn After Reading)
Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums; Fantastic Mr. Fox; Isle of Dogs)
Mike Leigh (Nuts in May; Meantime; Naked)
Francis Ford Coppola (The Conversation; The Outsiders)
Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove; 2001; A Clockwork Orange)
Martin Scorsese (Mean Streets; The King of Comedy)
Sergio Leone (Once Upon a Time in the West; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)
Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction; Inglourious Bastards)
Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz; Scott Pilgrim vs. the World; Baby Driver)
John Hughes (The Breakfast Club; Trains, Planes and Automobiles; Uncle Buck)

Also,
Sexy Beast
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
There Will Be Blood
Dead Man's Shoes
Caddyshack
Life of Brian
The Wicker Man
Memento
Team America: World Police
Office Space
Dirty Harry
The Warriors
Mr Jolly Lives Next Door
Sightseers
Get Carter
Superbad
The Usual Suspects
Deliverance
Quadrophenia
Chinatown
Alien
THX 1138
The French Connection
Withnail and I
Falling Down
Three Billboards
Palm Springs
Kelly's Heroes

Last edited:
I'm not one for art house, high brow, preachy or overly violent movies.
When i watch a i want to leave my troubles, and sometimes my brian, at the door and be entertained.
So my tastes are rather plebeian. I enjoy most of the super hero, marvel, LOTR and hobbit films (although they aren't actually the lotr or the hobbit imo), the bond reboot, the Bournes and alien movie.
I'm of an age where the original star wars trilogy will always have a special place in my world, the rest are rubbish.

Five favourite are probably,
Blazing saddles
Life of brian
Breakfast club
The devil rides out
Gone with the wind.

As an add on a couple of movies i would recommend that many may or may not have seen or heard of,
Witness for the prosecution
Anatomy of a murder
The day the earth caught fire
Night of the demon.

I've never seen Gone with the Wind,

My favourite directors (and my favourite movies of theirs) are:

Coen Brothers (Raising Arizona; The Big Lebowski; The Man Who Wasn't There; Burn After Reading)
Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums; Fantastic Mr. Fox; Isle of Dogs)
Mike Leigh (Nuts in May; Meantime; Naked)
Francis Ford Coppola (The Conversation; The Outsiders)
Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove; 2001; A Clockwork Orange)
Martin Scorsese (Mean Streets; The King of Comedy)
Sergio Leone (Once Upon a Time in the West; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)
Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction; Inglourious Bastards)
Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz; Scott Pilgrim vs. the World; Baby Driver)
John Hughes (The Breakfast Club; Trains, Planes and Automobiles; Uncle Buck)

Also,
Sexy Beast
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
There Will Be Blood
Dead Man's Shoes
Caddyshack
Life of Brian
The Wicker Man
Memento
Team America: World Police
Office Space
Dirty Harry
The Warriors
Mr Jolly Lives Next Door
Sightseers
Get Carter
Superbad
The Usual Suspects
Deliverance
Quadrophenia
Chinatown
Alien
THX 1138
The French Connection
Withnail and I
Falling Down
Three Billboards
Palm Springs

Some great films there

It's strange how you view films with hindsight, as a kid I loved westerns and saw Indians as villians, John Wayne a big hero now I cant watch the big Ham.

I like an epic book but films always seem to leave something I liked in the book out, but I couldn't see how they dragged the Hobbit out into a triogly, too much emphasis on battle CGI for me. I cant stand car chases apart from French Connection.

Couldn't possibly keep it to five!
Excluding those perfect films that have already been mentioned (Withnail & I, Back to the Future, Chinatown, Spirited Away, Godfather 2, Alien(s), Big Lebowski), I can just about reduce my list to nine. Sorry, not sorry:

Unforgiven - love westerns and this is, IMO, the best ever.
Akira - started my love affair with anime and Japan 30+ years ago.
Taxi Driver - difficult to pick one from Scorsese's golden age but the cinematography and soundtrack give this the edge.
It's a Wonderful Life - my mum's favourite, a sentimental pick that gets watched every Christmas.
Fargo - again, choosing a Coen Bros film is difficult, but this is their most rounded film for me.
Night on Earth - my first and still favourite Jarmusch film, another master.
Big Trouble in Little China - much like Jeff Bridges in Lebowski, Kurt Russell created one of Hollywood's greatest in Jack Burton.
Wheels on Meals - Jackie Chan has made better films but this one's my favourite.
Dazed & Confused - I haven't watched this in years so may not like it as much now but it was such a major part of my teenage years in the 90s. The "Before" trilogy are all better Linklater films but this one means the most to me.

Couldn't possibly keep it to five!
Excluding those perfect films that have already been mentioned (Withnail & I, Back to the Future, Chinatown, Spirited Away, Godfather 2, Alien(s), Big Lebowski), I can just about reduce my list to nine. Sorry, not sorry:

Unforgiven - love westerns and this is, IMO, the best ever.
Akira - started my love affair with anime and Japan 30+ years ago.
Taxi Driver - difficult to pick one from Scorsese's golden age but the cinematography and soundtrack give this the edge.
It's a Wonderful Life - my mum's favourite, a sentimental pick that gets watched every Christmas.
Fargo - again, choosing a Coen Bros film is difficult, but this is their most rounded film for me.
Night on Earth - my first and still favourite Jarmusch film, another master.
Big Trouble in Little China - much like Jeff Bridges in Lebowski, Kurt Russell created one of Hollywood's greatest in Jack Burton.
Wheels on Meals - Jackie Chan has made better films but this one's my favourite.
Dazed & Confused - I haven't watched this in years so may not like it as much now but it was such a major part of my teenage years in the 90s. The "Before" trilogy are all better Linklater films but this one means the most to me.

Yeh same, loads for me that would one week by in the top 5 only to be replaced by another

The Sting, The Departed, Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now, Big Country, El Dorado, Kellys Heroes, Nil by Mouth, Fargo, Chinatown, The Two Jakes, LA Confidential, Ben Hur, El Cid....Like you I could go on and on for the films I could just crack on and watch whenever

I use to love going to cinema, it was magic as a kid, all very plush and glamorous in 50's, commissoner marshalling the queue, manager in DJ, carpets (we had lino at home), sofas and photos of stars on the walls, far cry from warehouses selling food of today. Did anyone bunk in when your mate opened the fire exit doors? Start off wanting to sit in the front row as a nipper and in the back row as a teenager.

I use to love going to cinema, it was magic as a kid, all very plush and glamorous in 50's, commissoner marshalling the queue, manager in DJ, carpets (we had lino at home), sofas and photos of stars on the walls, far cry from warehouses selling food of today. Did anyone bunk in when your mate opened the fire exit doors? Start off wanting to sit in the front row as a nipper and in the back row as a teenager.
Could also stay and watch it again. There was often a supporting film too.

Don’t have those memories but growing up I remember Saturday morning cinema. Obviously a plot to get kids out of the house on Saturday mornings but the cinema would be packed as we watched things like the Double Decker Gang and weekly instalments of Flash Gordon and other series I can’t recall (maybe someone else from that early 70s era can remember).

Taking this totally off thread but anyway - my two earliest “proper” film memories :
- going with my dad to see Jaws. I thought it was great, he hated it. (I assume I had asked to see it as he wouldn’t have chosen it himself); and
- James Bond Live or Let Die. My much older cousin was going out with her boyfriend of Indian heritage. Her parents (well, her dad) massively disapproved. My parents facilitated their relationship by offering baby sitting ops, and things like using me as a kind of cover/chaperone when they went to the cinema, so that is one of my earliest ‘grown-up’ cinema memories. They are still married today. My dad gave her away at their wedding as her parents (dad really) disowned her at the time. I had no idea what it all meant at the time but now look back so proudly at my mum and dad taking that stance. Live and Let Die always reminds me of that.

Don’t have those memories but growing up I remember Saturday morning cinema. Obviously a plot to get kids out of the house on Saturday mornings but the cinema would be packed as we watched things like the Double Decker Gang and weekly instalments of Flash Gordon and other series I can’t recall (maybe someone else from that early 70s era can remember).

Taking this totally off thread but anyway - my two earliest “proper” film memories :
- going with my dad to see Jaws. I thought it was great, he hated it. (I assume I had asked to see it as he wouldn’t have chosen it himself); and
- James Bond Live or Let Die. My much older cousin was going out with her boyfriend of Indian heritage. Her parents (well, her dad) massively disapproved. My parents facilitated their relationship by offering baby sitting ops, and things like using me as a kind of cover/chaperone when they went to the cinema, so that is one of my earliest ‘grown-up’ cinema memories. They are still married today. My dad gave her away at their wedding as her parents (dad really) disowned her at the time. I had no idea what it all meant at the time but now look back so proudly at my mum and dad taking that stance. Live and Let Die always reminds me of that.

Even as a kid we use to moan about those serials, at the end of an episode a roof or wall was Inches away from crushing the hero, next week he escapes with about 3 foot of space. We were kids but we weren't stupid.

Haha. Yes. Swiss Cottage Oden would host us for free via the side exit :)

Now teenagers watch TikTok. And a series trumps a movie. The magic of cinema is a bygone thing: Cinema Paradiso anyone? Probably not a top 5 but sweet film. In a grey post-war world I am sure cinema provided dreams, aspirations and escapism when all people had otherwise was printed media.

Storytelling is deeply embedded in human consciousness, but now its in 20-second hits.

Ferris Buellers Day Off
Notting Hill
The Wedding Singer
Pretty Woman
Blazing Saddles (just easing past Aliens)

Back