• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

One thing he has is a great long range pass
Every game he has played he has pinged a cracking pass form right to left and hit his man
He also shows how to read the game so doesn't jump in... And that's the same with Verts. So they compliment each other there
He is good in the air too
He also does another 5 or 6 a game that go straight to the defender. Dawson done the same and got crucified for it.

He also does another 5 or 6 a game that go straight to the defender. Dawson done the same and got crucified for it.

I don't see that
I'd like to see proof?
Dawson never got slated by me for it

The difference of course is the execution

Dawson made many more wrong long passes than Alderweireld currently does. Toby is a level above in the execution of these things. You also rarely see him hoof the ball upfield for the sake of it, unlike Dawson. That said, I didn't have much of a problem with Dawson playing long balls. Unfortunately the execution often failed, this is much less the case with Toby.

Last edited:
I don't see that
I'd like to see proof?
Dawson never got slated by me for it

The difference of course is the execution
I think Dawson did get a few groans (not from me) as it was such a predictable event.

Toby passes it like hoddle ie bang on the money. I think that was a factor in the NLD ,we went from Toby's passing to Fazio's:)

It's great that Verts and Toby have a history already, they look very settled. And I like that one can launch us with a 50yd ball and the other with an effective direct run out of defence (I think Jan will step this up the more settled we get).

Toby is very good. But just regarding the above comments, so far today in the first 10 mins he's lumped it forward thrice and given it away.

Toby Alderweireld has revealed his policeman brother could be on duty in the stadium when Spurs play Anderlecht in the Europa League on Thursday.

The Antwerp-born Belgium defender, who moved from Atletico Madrid in the summer after a loan spell at Southampton, said: “I have a brother who will maybe at the stadium [Constant Vanden Stock Stadium in Brussels] – he is still a policeman atAnderlecht and he should be working.

"It is funny – last week he was taking care of the security of the Israeli team!

“My family and friends will be coming to the return match. They are big Anderlecht supporters – and for Bruges.”

Alderweireld told dhnet.be : “The worst thing would be to under-estimate Anderlecht. We are in a group as strong as the Champions League.

"When I was young, I supported Anderlecht in European competitions. And I played there with Ajax. I love the atmosphere at the Parc Astrid. But we are going to Brussels for the three points.

"We want to qualify as quick as possible. The coach [Mauricio Pochettino] has not told us the team but we have played our two Europa League matches so far with such a team.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/toby-alderweireld-looking-forward-copping-6675197

Sorry mate that is rubbish, I have been at every game and never seen him do it. As for compering to Dawson you are having a laugh.

Dawsons right to left long balls were fine in terms of accuracy. Sure the odd one went astray but a majority of the time his accuracy was class.

Dawsons right to left long balls were fine in terms of accuracy. Sure the odd one went astray but a majority of the time his accuracy was class.

Agreed. Dawson had a very solid long pass in his locker.

The problem was with his shorter passing and close control. So he ended up using the long ball too often, thus becoming predictable and way too easy to put under pressure for opponents.

Alderweireld is a much more complete footballer. One of the results of that, imo, is that he can make better decisions on when to play it long making it a much more effective weapon compared to when Daws did it.
All imo and wholly unsupported by objective evidence)

No question Toby is a couple of notches up from Dawson but it always annoyed me the way the latter was slated for his long diagonal outballs. Of course a fair number came back at us, just the same as they did from a goalkick or whatever. But likewise a fair percentage also either found their target or resulted in us winning possession one way or another much higher up the field. Chances are anyway that with the likes Crouch to aim for Dawson was actually under orders to do precisely what he did.

What people also failed to recognise is Verts consistently passed it across the back to Dawson for him to get it up field rather than take on that responsibility himself. He continues to do that with Toby as well.

No question Toby is a couple of notches up from Dawson but it always annoyed me the way the latter was slated for his long diagonal outballs. Of course a fair number came back at us, just the same as they did from a goalkick or whatever. But likewise a fair percentage also either found their target or resulted in us winning possession one way or another much higher up the field. Chances are anyway that with the likes Crouch to aim for Dawson was actually under orders to do precisely what he did.

What people also failed to recognise is Verts consistently passed it across the back to Dawson for him to get it up field rather than take on that responsibility himself. He continues to do that with Toby as well.

Very good point...

Back