• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

They were made for each other.
A title winning side is built on a good CB pairing and they certainly are as good as any pairing in the division at the moment. I should not even think about a title tilt really but the foundation is there. I feel we're as close as we have been for a long time.

A title winning side is built on a good CB pairing and they certainly are as good as any pairing in the division at the moment. I should not even think about a title tilt really but the foundation is there. I feel we're as close as we have been for a long time.

Completely agree. We keep this back 4 together, and in particular Jan and Toby, I think we will have the makings of a title winning side. We are developing a really strong spine to the team (Lloris, Jan and Toby, Dier and Alli, Dembele, Kane). I know I am biased, but dare I say that spine is perhaps one of the most settled in the league?

Could not agree more, I have always thought that the most important pairing on the field is at CB and those two are the best we have had for a very long time ( imo), add to that we now have a CM player in front of them that can read the defensive side of the job. I think we are building a very strong side and if the youngsters show the improvement that more games should bring we have a lot to look forward to.

They were made for each other.

did any of you guys see the video analysis of them?

NBC in US did a tactics session where they spent some time going over video
- they walk forward/back at same time, start jogging at same time, move left or right to keep spacing same, crazy to watch how in sync they can be.
- then when one gets pulled, the cover the other provides.

There is also an interview with Jan where he talks about how he and Toby discuss the opposition players before each match and what they need each other to do.

Add in Toby makes Jan a happier guy, win-win ...

did any of you guys see the video analysis of them?

NBC in US did a tactics session where they spent some time going over video
- they walk forward/back at same time, start jogging at same time, move left or right to keep spacing same, crazy to watch how in sync they can be.
- then when one gets pulled, the cover the other provides.

There is also an interview with Jan where he talks about how he and Toby discuss the opposition players before each match and what they need each other to do.

Add in Toby makes Jan a happier guy, win-win ...

No I did not see that to be honest. I have seen them play together a few times both at Ajax ( lived in Holland for a spell) and for their country and it was obvious that they had the chemistry and were in tune to each others game. The only reason they are not both picked at CB for their country more often is that Belgium lack good FB's and they can do the job better then the other choices.

Some dubious selections in the 4 positions put up for public vote (Sanchez o_O) but the ex Goon and Scouser both concurred about our Alderweireld.

CWyMnvTWUAAMMzy

Wanted to give this lad some love.

Its one of the finest sights in football when a CB gets his head on the end of a cross/freekick/corner.

If he can adjust his placement a bit he might be worth a good 7-8goals a season. Thoughts?

He has been outstanding and bloody consistent

Will be interesting to see him deal with Lukaku now as he hasn't done a huge amount against us at Everton (was great for west brom) and the hush know him well

Toby is a very good CB, and getting better. I rate him higher than verts. Verts has good vision, anticipation and decision making. But he is too slow on the turn for the BPL my liking (and often has to resort to shirt pulling to prevent that from happening.)

They are a great team, and I hope Poch keep them as part of a back 4 for all games and not muck around with other formations. Its the 2 CBs + Goalkeeper that make up the core of the defensive understanding and strength as a unit.

Toby is a very good CB, and getting better. I rate him higher than verts. Verts has good vision, anticipation and decision making. But he is too slow on the turn for the BPL my liking (and often has to resort to shirt pulling to prevent that from happening.)

They are a great team, and I hope Poch keep them as part of a back 4 for all games and not muck around with other formations. Its the 2 CBs + Goalkeeper that make up the core of the defensive understanding and strength as a unit.

So being tactical is mucking around? We played 3 at the back to counter Watfords deadly duo upfront.

no, being tactical is not mucking around.

but not being ready with 3 at the back (when meeting with what you call "watford's deadly duo") is mucking around.

we were very shaky in defence in that game.

but not being ready with 3 at the back (when meeting with what you call "watford's deadly duo") is mucking around.

Very shaky in defense against Watford?! We conceded two shots on goal (one of them directly from a corner).

If we had just played 2 at the back they would have been alot more active up top. I don't think Hugo had much to do throughout the game did he? I think that is job well done.

I must have seen a different game then you, we restricted their two forwards who have scored 20 goals between them and run other teams ragged this season only one shot on target.

You want your defenders to be boring and predictable
You want your creative and attackers to be almost the opposite

We Tick all the boxes at the moment with our defence

Interesting. So you think we weren't ready? We had two days to prepare and btw, we won and restricted them to one shot on target (their goal).

Out of interest, what did you make of Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp's tactical approach in their recent game against the same team at the same ground?

I must have seen a different game then you, we restricted their two forwards who have scored 20 goals between them and run other teams ragged this season only one shot on target.

yeah we must have. just go through the last 20 minutes of the game in the game thread. people were wishing for 1 -1 !

Interesting. So you think we weren't ready? We had two days to prepare and btw, we won and restricted them to one shot on target (their goal).

Out of interest, what did you make of Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp's tactical approach in their recent game against the same team at the same ground?

The stats are misleading, go read the match thread to find out sentiments before our last minute goal. Especially after the red card.

Like Poch, I won't judge a coach too harshly in his first two years with the club; especially the first one. There's just too much to do.

Back