• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

Werner. He is doing a job for us. But he cant finish. Its not easy for him at all. When son gets through you know he will probably score. Werner, that technique he showed when one on one was all wrong. He is a good option for us for the remainder of the season but I would not want to keep him for next year.

Think he's short on confidence in front of goal, I think that tends to make players more indecisive. I doubt it's fixable in the way you present, he'll probably always be around average with his finishing overall. But it's certainly possible for him to go on a hot streak, get some confidence etc and look better in those situations.
If he got that 1v1 chance AFTER he scored his first goal, he might've had the confidence to at least do better in that situation, I'm thinking.
From what Timo's saying in the post-match interviews, it seems he's trying to be very aligned with what the rest of the team wants/expects from him, especially Sonny. As for Sonny, it seems like he's very honest and candid about what he expects but he's not shy about praising players regarding what they did right.

Werner. He is doing a job for us. But he cant finish. Its not easy for him at all. When son gets through you know he will probably score. Werner, that technique he showed when one on one was all wrong. He is a good option for us for the remainder of the season but I would not want to keep him for next year.
We'll be in Europe and need a deep and strong squad.
His pace and experience and attitude, for the price we have an option on - you won't find a better option.

Seem to remember him scoring saturday. Which suggests he can finish. 208 other goals he' scored suggests he can finish aswell.

Give the guy time to settle and gain confidence. This narrative that he can't score just feeds confirmation bias. Anytime he misses a chance fans are just "see he can't finish". Even though our other players miss just as many chances.

Seem to remember him scoring saturday. Which suggests he can finish. 208 other goals he' scored suggests he can finish aswell.

Give the guy time to settle and gain confidence. This narrative that he can't score just feeds confirmation bias. Anytime he misses a chance fans are just "see he can't finish". Even though our other players miss just as many chances.
Agreed.

Bit like the Richarlison narrative before he went on a scoring streak.

Understat has Werner at 109 goals from an xG of 117. (Assuming only league goals, not sure). Small enough difference there that I don't think he can even conclusively be said to be a below average finisher, even if so only marginally.

But the narrative isn't that he's an average or slightly below average finisher. Or that he's somewhat streaky and a bit of a confidence player. The narrative is overstated. Though some truth in the core of that in that he's not a particularly good finisher.

Couldn't disagree more with Son, he offers no creativity from the left against a low block, let alone protecting the full back.

For me at the moment it's any four from the options below, depending on who's fit and in form:

Son/Richy
Richy/Werner..................... .Kului/Johnson
Maddison/Kulu​
I agree, but would actually take it even a step further. I think our best bet would be one of Son and Richarlison starting as the striker, neither on the left. Werner starting on the left (unless Solomon gets fit, then he's perhaps in the conversation). Kulusevski or Johnson on the right.

I'm not a big fan of either Richarlison or Son on the left in this system and Werner imo has done well enough to get those starts there for now at least. And that also speaks to how well Werner has done despite being an average finisher.

His pace and experience and attitude, for the price we have an option on - you won't find a better option.

He's apparently on 170k a week so that might also be a factor to consider. I still think it's too early to make a decision, I like what I've seen so far, let's see if he continues this form and becomes a regular first choice starter etc.

Really don't understand what all the noise is about to be honest. I accept Werner isn't the best finisher in the world, but since he's been here he has been our most creative attacker and would be even better if he was fed the ball more often than he has been.

At the price being mentioned to purchase it seems an absolute no brainer and would be an important part of the forward line with us in Europe whether he is playing a prominent role or not....

I agree, but would actually take it even a step further. I think our best bet would be one of Son and Richarlison starting as the striker, neither on the left. Werner starting on the left (unless Solomon gets fit, then he's perhaps in the conversation). Kulusevski or Johnson on the right.

I'm not a big fan of either Richarlison or Son on the left in this system and Werner imo has done well enough to get those starts there for now at least. And that also speaks to how well Werner has done despite being an average finisher.
Fair enough, but this team (with Richarlison left) was good enough at the beginning of the season to go on an unbeaten run:
1709634924042.png

I would have Werner on the left over Richi on the left every day of the week....
I would go with whoever is fit and in form, as they have both done a job there. If everyone is available (and therefore Son starts in the middle over Richarlison), I would probably go with Richarlison left as I think he offers a bit more, and Werner's pace would be good as a sub against tiring legs.

I would go with whoever is fit and in form, as they have both done a job there. If everyone is available (and therefore Son starts in the middle over Richarlison), I would probably go with Richarlison left as I think he offers a bit more, and Werner's pace would be good as a sub against tiring legs.
Appreciate your opinion mate, and I am a fan of Richi but think he offers more centrally than on the left. I don't mind him being there if we are light or need to rotate and appreciate his pressing from that side. But he seldom creates, Werner creates far more and also presses well and for those reasons I would prefer Werner on the left....

Really don't understand what all the noise is about to be honest. I accept Werner isn't the best finisher in the world, but since he's been here he has been our most creative attacker and would be even better if he was fed the ball more often than he has been.

At the price being mentioned to purchase it seems an absolute no brainer and would be an important part of the forward line with us in Europe whether he is playing a prominent role or not....
That just sounds like you're settling. You can't just settle but then complain that we don't win (not saying you're guilty of that). If we have players that aren't of the top standard and don't overperform to that standard we are never going to bridge the gap. If you're content with occasionally playing well and having the odd good result then fine, but if we are serious about wanting to win then we need to seriously try for the best. Werner clearly isn't that, so let's evaluate him while he's on trial but let's not just settle because he's already here on loan, there are better more suited players out there. Some right now, some on his level but with massive potential (I'm happy enough going for potentials) but settling will never get us what we want.

That just sounds like you're settling. You can't just settle but then complain that we don't win (not saying you're guilty of that). If we have players that aren't of the top standard and don't overperform to that standard we are never going to bridge the gap. If you're content with occasionally playing well and having the odd good result then fine, but if we are serious about wanting to win then we need to seriously try for the best. Werner clearly isn't that, so let's evaluate him while he's on trial but let's not just settle because he's already here on loan, there are better more suited players out there. Some right now, some on his level but with massive potential (I'm happy enough going for potentials) but settling will never get us what we want.

He's had 6 games. At one point he was one of the hottest prospects in europe.

There is no "clearly".

He's had 6 games. At one point he was one of the hottest prospects in europe.

There is no "clearly".
"At one point" that point has passed. He proved himself not to be one of the top tier of talents.

I don't understand why you want to settle? Do you not want the best for Spurs?

Seems to be a fairly wide consensus that we would want to sign quite a few players come the summer to get us to where we want to be with our squad.

I don't think we have the money to sign the "best" players for all of those squad roles. I think it's only sensible to also look for some cheaper, not "best", but functional good players that fit the system well. Most very good teams have had those players in their squads.

I'm also a big proponent of going for players with great potential. We've had a lot of success with that strategy in the past, recently, and we're seemingly looking to replicate that. But there needs to be a balance there, we also need experience, "ready made" options.

I won't be in favour of "settling" across the board, but "settling" with some signings to push the boat out on others seems like a good strategy to me.

Seems to be a fairly wide consensus that we would want to sign quite a few players come the summer to get us to where we want to be with our squad.

I don't think we have the money to sign the "best" players for all of those squad roles. I think it's only sensible to also look for some cheaper, not "best", but functional good players that fit the system well. Most very good teams have had those players in their squads.

I'm also a big proponent of going for players with great potential. We've had a lot of success with that strategy in the past, recently, and we're seemingly looking to replicate that. But there needs to be a balance there, we also need experience, "ready made" options.

I won't be in favour of "settling" across the board, but "settling" with some signings to push the boat out on others seems like a good strategy to me.

I don’t think if we buy Werner it means we won’t buy anyone else in the front line. He seems like a sensible replacement to Perisic in the squad to me.

I've said before I'm more open to the idea of adding him permanently if he's in addition to a more direct 1st 11 player for that role. Then yes I agree wholeheartedly that he might be a smart and cheap acquisition to bolster the squad as depth is always needed.

What I do not want to see is him being the primary option because we already know that what he offers is not good enough for what we should be trying to target.

I don’t think if we buy Werner it means we won’t buy anyone else in the front line. He seems like a sensible replacement to Perisic in the squad to me.
Yeh exactly this. His pace is a massive weapon, the last couple of times he started they doubled up.on him at times. If our options were him, Solomon and one other then I see that as decent varying options (dependant on who that newbie is).

Reactions: jrh
Back