• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

We’re talking about winning the premier league are we not? Chelsea haven’t come close to winning the league since they won it in 2017. I don’t think you can say Werner got them over the line in the CL. We could list all the trophies at current squad have won for their former clubs and at international level but i don’t know how that is relevant to helping or being good enough to lift Spurs to the level of winning the league.
It's about having players that fit your style, you don't have to have three top class forwards.

Was Firminho an all singing all dancing top class forward when Liverpool won the league with his massive nine league goals as the CF when they won the league? No, but he fit perfectly with Klopps system. And what I've seen of Werner's early days here he certainly works well for Anges system....

Let's start with a trophy first ey? Walk before we run? I'd love a tiny lil Champions League or any domestic cup for that matter.

He's been there and done it.
He's been present while his team done it.

He is OK. He is not elite.

I suppose, if we don't buy him then I could see Arse, Pool, City, Utd buying him as a squad option.

But the main thing I want is big improvements, real class. Werner is not that.

No, Son aside.. But I think having Werner in our squad increases our ability to compete for titles dramatically.

It's about assembling a group, not individuals. See how that's gone for Chelsea.

Werner and another forward maybe. Werner on his own im not convinced.

He's been present while his team done it.

He is OK. He is not elite.

I suppose, if we don't buy him then I could see Arse, Pool, City, Utd buying him as a squad option.

But the main thing I want is big improvements, real class. Werner is not that.

Chelsea fans will tell you he more than contributed in winning that CL. They'll also tell you he's a class squad member, despite the lazy media narrative surrounding him. He offers plenty.

It's about having players that fit your style, you don't have to have three top class forwards.

Was Firminho an all singing all dancing top class forward when Liverpool won the league with his massive nine league goals as the CF when they won the league? No, but he fit perfectly with Klopps system. And what I've seen of Werner's early days here he certainly works well for Anges system....

I take your point about systems. Liverpool had Mané and Salah to pick up the slack goals wise from goal shy Firmino. I’m not against signing Werner per se but not as our only signing in the forward position.

Moura was extremely ineffective for us. He had a few games where it all went right, but mostly he just ran into trouble and lost the ball.

No player is effective all the time, and sometimes even his turnovers had value, if he held it long enough for the defence to take a breath and reset, or just to run some clock.

Solomon makes defenders turn and move towards their own goal, he disrupts, I think he could be an excellent time waster, buying FK’s and throw ins.

I enjoyed his performances early in the season, he had quite a few key involvements imo.

No player is effective all the time, and sometimes even his turnovers had value, if he held it long enough for the defence to take a breath and reset, or just to run some clock.

Solomon makes defenders turn and move towards their own goal, he disrupts, I think he could be an excellent time waster, buying FK’s and throw ins.

I enjoyed his performances early in the season, he had quite a few key involvements imo.

His ridiculous absense and history of similar time away suggest we'd be wise to move him on and get someone useful in.

His ridiculous absense and history of similar time away suggest we'd be wise to move him on and get someone useful in.
Maybe, but he’s only had one absence period with us, and we know how abysmal our medical dept is*, I’d give him more time.

*kind of tongue in cheek, but when you think about it…

Would definitely welcome him as a permanent signing for £15m so long as he's not first choice.

I feel he has contributed and offers something. Undoubtedly though he is one of the most frstrating attackers to watch. The pace and on the ball movement is fantastic, but then the finishing is nowhere near clinical. His finishing is completely amateur.

Can't think of any other striker who compares to him in terms of having the knack to find themselves 1 on 1 but no ability or composure to put the ball in the net after doing the hard work.

Get rid of Gil and Solomon, keep Werner and sign one or two more quality forwards and we're in a strong position.

I would support that. I don’t want it to come across like I’m picking on Werner and I’m happy with the rest of our forwards. Son is the only forward we have who I would describe as elite. The others can all be upgraded on. I’ve said many times our forwards aren’t quite good enough to challenge for the top honours. If we’re talking top 4 then I’m very happy with our forwards compared with Villa and all of the teams below us. Watkins is having a very good season but I don’t rate the rest of their forward that highly compared to ours.

I’d have him mix his one on ones up where rounding the keeper is the rarely used option. Just smash it from the edge of the box it is a big flipping target.

I’d have him mix his one on ones up where rounding the keeper is the rarely used option. Just smash it from the edge of the box it is a big flipping target.
Yes; Kane and Son always slot it into the corner from about 21 yards i.e. just as the keeper is trying to get composed, the ball whips past them.
A poor finisher will take an extra touch to about 16 yards and suddenly realise the keeper is right on top of them, and muff it.

A key is what do we do with Gil, Solomon and potentially Richy

Solomon hasn’t had a chance
Gil isn’t trusted in reality
Richy when playing well offers something for sure but is he a CF, is he a WF… does he do enough for the top end for Ange. I’m not 100% yet

Then Werner is a low cost, low risk said player as we have seen already. He won’t start in our first 11 unless there are injuries

He's on £200k a week. Not low cost.

If he signs for us in the summer it’ll be for closer to 100k than 200k, you can be sure of that. Prob some nice Goal/assist bonuses though which is win/win.

If he has a contract for £200k a week, why would he want to take half of that to join us?

The reason his price tag is £15m is because his wages are high.

Back