• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

I don’t think if we buy Werner it means we won’t buy anyone else in the front line. He seems like a sensible replacement to Perisic in the squad to me.
Exactly this.
100 minute games now, higher injury levels in general, add in Europe, add in the 5 subs etc.

It's not a stretch to say a team competing where we are (3/5th) now have to look at a "first 19" instead of a "first xi".

Werner is definitely of the quality to be in that 19.
Hope I think it's probably two from Werner, Richi or Solomon, with a push for a top CF if we can get one (unless we think Veliz' is ready next season of course). That's Johnson, Kulu, Madders, Son, (Richi, Werner, Solomon) / (two plus Veliz or new cf).
7 players for 4 positions - that's about right.

Fair enough, but this team (with Richarlison left) was good enough at the beginning of the season to go on an unbeaten run:
View attachment 16854
IIRC it was both Son and Richarlison on the left in different games (Son mostly at first, then mostly Richarlison). Solomon, Perisic and Johnson also played on the left. I think it was pretty common even then to think of that left wing spot as the weakest point in an otherwise very well functioning team.

The loss of Perisic was seen as significant because despite our good performances he often was needed to add something a bit different out there and his quality often shone through.

Neither Solomon or Johnson were great there, but still got game time in part because we did struggle a bit with that role.

I've said before I'm more open to the idea of adding him permanently if he's in addition to a more direct 1st 11 player for that role. Then yes I agree wholeheartedly that he might be a smart and cheap acquisition to bolster the squad as depth is always needed.

What I do not want to see is him being the primary option because we already know that what he offers is not good enough for what we should be trying to target.
I haven't seen anyone claim that he should be our only signing in those areas, may have missed something though.

I thought the conversation all along was signing him as a squad player come the summer.

I haven't seen anyone claim that he should be our only signing in those areas, may have missed something though.

I thought the conversation all along was signing him as a squad player come the summer.
I might be paranoid and it might more from the general Spurs discourse but I've been seeing people talk about Werner as if he should be the main guy for left so I'm just trying to stop that narrative early. 😅

Squad cool, main summer LWF signing, please no.

A key is what do we do with Gil, Solomon and potentially Richy

Solomon hasn’t had a chance
Gil isn’t trusted in reality
Richy when playing well offers something for sure but is he a CF, is he a WF… does he do enough for the top end for Ange. I’m not 100% yet

Then Werner is a low cost, low risk said player as we have seen already. He won’t start in our first 11 unless there are injuries

I love the way it's ok for Shearer to tell everyone he does think hes going to score when in scoring positions yet let's donkeys like Wellbeck, Nketiah and Antony get a free ride.

A key is what do we do with Gil, Solomon and potentially Richy

Solomon hasn’t had a chance
Gil isn’t trusted in reality
Richy when playing well offers something for sure but is he a CF, is he a WF… does he do enough for the top end for Ange. I’m not 100% yet

Then Werner is a low cost, low risk said player as we have seen already. He won’t start in our first 11 unless there are injuries
Yes, definitely some decisions to made there. Still early for several of these players under Ange and in this system. But so far Werner has been impressive and looked a good fit.

I will never understand how some fans can make up their mind about how good/poor a player will be for us after only 6 games. Give the guy some time ( at least to the end of the season) before we say he is not good enough.
If I had only ever seen him play 6 games then sure, but I've watched him for Chelsea and the first time around for Leipzig. He's not suddenly going become someone he's never been.

If I had only ever seen him play 6 games then sure, but I've watched him for Chelsea and the first time around for Leipzig. He's not suddenly going become someone he's never been.

Why not?

Who’s to say he won’t play the best football of his career here, it’s happened with other players.

You know as well as i do judging players on what they do for the fudge up Chelski does not mean he is a poor player. Not saying that he will become a top player in our system and with a good manager to encorage him BUT judging him on the six games he has so far played for us is a bit harsh. But as they say its all about opinons.

First time around for Leipzig he had a great record for scoring (78 in 127 league games)

Reactions: jrh
First time around for Leipzig he had a great record for scoring (78 in 127 league games)
His record was indeed decent but he missed loads, he always has done and that Leipzig side created tons of chances. I don't think hes a bad player by any means just not one that is going to take us to the next level, he's very much more of the same or in comparison to vintage Son, a step down.

My attitude is as it always is, we want to improve, we need to bring in better than what we already have. What we have right is not good enough so it needs to be a constant strive to improve. Werner does not do that for me as a primary addition. As mentioned if he comes in alongside a serious starter then I don't have any complaints, I'm just not sure that is what we would do.

Re Werner, it really depends what our aims are. If we are happy to challenge for top 4 then that’s fine, I believe our forwards are better than Villa’s forwards as a unit, same for United, Brighton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. If our goal is to challenge for and hopefully win the title, I don’t think signings of Werner’s level are going to cut it. If it’s Werner + a top level forward then I’m happy with that. I’ve got stick for saying our forwards aren’t as good as Liverpool’s, City’s and Arsenal. I stand by that. Son is elite, the rest range from ok to good. It’s not being pessimistic or defeatist to say Arsenal and Liverpool have better forwards than us, they just do. If Werner is presented as the main marquee forward signing this summer and we don’t make improvements with regards to the rest of the front line then I genuinely don’t feel we can win the league. James Maddison is the quintessential example of the type of signing we should be making. When we signed him, almost everyone to a man said “I can’t believe he’s come to us”. We got him for an absolute steal. Would anyone say the same about Werner or Johnson?

Re Werner, it really depends what our aims are. If we are happy to challenge for top 4 then that’s fine, I believe our forwards are better than Villa’s forwards as a unit, same for United, Brighton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. If our goal is to challenge for and hopefully win the title, I don’t think signings of Werner’s level are going to cut it. If it’s Werner + a top level forward then I’m happy with that. I’ve got stick for saying our forwards aren’t as good as Liverpool’s, City’s and Arsenal. I stand by that. Son is elite, the rest range from ok to good. It’s not being pessimistic or defeatist to say Arsenal and Liverpool have better forwards than us, they just do. If Werner is presented as the main marquee forward signing this summer and we don’t make improvements with regards to the rest of the front line then I genuinely don’t feel we can win the league. James Maddison is the quintessential example of the type of signing we should be making. When we signed him, almost everyone to a man said “I can’t believe he’s come to us”. We got him for an absolute steal. Would anyone say the same about Werner or Johnson?
Werner's honours:

RB Leipzig
- DFB-Pokal: 2022–23
- DFL-Supercup: 2023

Chelsea
- UEFA Champions League: 2020–21
- UEFA Super Cup: 2021
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2021

Werner's honours:

RB Leipzig
- DFB-Pokal: 2022–23
- DFL-Supercup: 2023

Chelsea
- UEFA Champions League: 2020–21
- UEFA Super Cup: 2021
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2021

We’re talking about winning the premier league are we not? Chelsea haven’t come close to winning the league since they won it in 2017. I don’t think you can say Werner got them over the line in the CL. We could list all the trophies at current squad have won for their former clubs and at international level but i don’t know how that is relevant to helping or being good enough to lift Spurs to the level of winning the league.

We’re talking about winning the premier league are we not? Chelsea haven’t come close to winning the league since they won it in 2017. I don’t think you can say Werner got them over the line in the CL. We could list all the trophies at current squad have won for their former clubs and at international level but i don’t know how that is relevant to helping or being good enough to lift Spurs to the level of winning the league.
Let's start with a trophy first ey? Walk before we run? I'd love a tiny lil Champions League or any domestic cup for that matter.

He's been there and done it.

Let's start with a trophy first ey? Walk before we run? I'd love a tiny lil Champions League or any domestic cup for that matter.

He's been there and done it.

I’d love a trophy of any description too.

If Werner was that influential at Chelsea he’d arguably still be there.

Do you think our forwards are better than the top 3 clubs?

I’d love a trophy of any description too.

If Werner was that influential at Chelsea he’d arguably still be there.

Do you think our forwards are better than the top 3 clubs?
No, Son aside.. But I think having Werner in our squad increases our ability to compete for titles dramatically.

It's about assembling a group, not individuals. See how that's gone for Chelsea.

Back