• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood Testimonial OMT Spurs v Aston Villa 11th April

When there is something you want to debate about some of the youngest players in there Premiership coming the end of their first 2/3 season together having played more games than any other side, let me know and I'll put down my pipe and slippers mate. Eriksen is knackered and Chadli? Yes, agreed, lightweight and not been the same player since his father passed.

That is my point Steff if the players we paid a lot of money for had come off to even a small degree we would have had a lot more options and the younger players would not have had so many minutes, from a personal point of view I think the tiredness thing is overplayed anyway, the truth is we offer no variation and are easy to play against tactically, I watched WHFU play 4-2-3-1 the other week and they had the same problems we have, diagonal balls behind their fullbacks and no space in the last third, we compress the play to the point where we have no space to play, our players are garbage at quick one touch passing and we are always chasing back to cover the ball played over the top.

Just to remind everyone, Benteke beat a CB today who hasn't played for over a month and who wouldn't have played today if it had not been for two injuries forcing a reshuffle at the back. I happen to think Benteke has great potential and is a decent 9, but he is not 'the answer'...we have that...we just need to find upgrades on Chadli and Andros.

Its not the results its the performances we are woeful.

Just to remind everyone, Benteke beat a CB today who hasn't played for over a month and who wouldn't have played today if it had not been for two injuries forcing a reshuffle at the back. I happen to think Benteke has great potential and is a decent 9, but he is not 'the answer'...we have that...we just need to find upgrades on Chadli and Andros.
That CB is an experience international and we paid £8million for him, its time to stop the excuses.

And another thing. We had periods of some minutes in both halves where we were presented with a man advantage over a side three points off the relegation places. Did any of our players look as though it had even occurred to them to try and make it count in the least? Did they fuсk. They just upped their pass-it-straight-back-to-the-opposition and run-it-pointlessly-out-of-play rates. This team is finished for the season, and I'm not sure I can be any more bothered to watch another game than the majority of them evidently can be to turn up and play in one.

Seeing yet another anonymous cameo from Lamela, what choice does he have?
Along with Rose, Lamela was the only one who showed any kind of passion, and those two were the only ones that were pressing and trying to win the ball and do something! Lamela did more in 10 minutes than that fudging useless brick Townsend has done in the last 10 games!

I said weeks ago that we were regressing, we are in a mindless circle making no progress in any area of the pitch, when I saw the starting eleven today it hit me how far back we have gone, no balance, no leader, no plan B, add this to the average overpriced players we have bought and its quite depressing, if the players we bought were any good then rightly or wrongly Kane, Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb, Dier would be no where near first choice players, also where are all the armchair apologists ? game after game we have looked clueless and stuck to a system that we obviously cannot play, we have saved more points in the last ten minutes of games than any other team, to me a good team would not have to do that, also while I am ranting Ericksen and Chadli are a pair of poofs!

The only good points for me this season has been the new stadium coming, Kane, Rose, Hugo, and Vorm.
We have a lot of average players, but not many overpriced! Really top players cost from £30mill and up, unless their contract is almost up. We have none of those. Lamela was probably a bit overpriced, but to put things in perspective, Arsenal want 25-30£ for fudging Wheelchair, who has about the same amount of goals and assist as Lamela, but with a couple of 100 games more! Add to that, we can only offer about half the wages of the sugar daddy clubs. A half desent player cost 15-20 mill, and that is were we are. Based on age, potential and reputation, some of the players we've bought were bargains!

Last edited:
We have a lot of average players, but not many overpriced! Really top players cost from £30mill and up, unless their contract is almost up. We have none of those. Lamela was probably a bit overpriced, but to put things in perspective, Arsenal want 25-30£ for fudgeing Wheelchair, who has about the same amount of goals and assist as Lamela, but with a couple of 100 games more! Add to that, we can only offer about half the wages of the sugar daddy clubs. A half desent player cost 15-20 mill, and that is were we are. Based on age, potential and reputation, some of the players we've bought were bargains!

I cannot think of one bargin Kandi, most of our recent signings cannot even get a game or be in the starting eleven, the only part success for me is Ericksen but he is lightweight and being played out of position, Leaving Lamela and Soldado out of the mix we have still bought a load of players that have not improved us at all, this will be my last negative post but I have to say it again, tactically we are clueless, saying we are a one trick pony would be too kind, no sign of progression at all.

Sadly the performance yesterday has been a more common occurance than the two euphoric performances and results against Arsenal and Chelsea.

No tempo, low confidence, no vision in the final third, ponderous possession and weak defending. We've seen this all too many times this season. We've deservedly been beaten at home by Liverpool, West Brom, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stoke and now Aston Villa and been lucky to draw with Palace and West Ham and got fortunate wins against Burnley and Leicester. Aside from the fantastic wins against Arsenal and Chelsea that just leaves a good win against a terrible QPR, a good win against a SOuthampton team who didnt turn up on the day, a decent draw with Man Utd, a reasonable performance against Sunderland with a late winner and the win over Swansea where we unncessarilly held on at the end.

Away from home there have been some lucky wins at West Ham, Hull, Swansea, Villa and Leicester we didn't particularly deserve. A very good win at West Brom (who have now lost to Leicester and QPR) a good point at Arsenal.

In Europa we haven't beaten anything resembling a half decent team and KO'd at the first hurdle; were dumped out of the FA Cup at home by the bottom placed team and despite reaching the League Cup final we had a run of home games and then struggled to beat a League 1 side in the semi-final.

Overall for me the jury is most definitely out for Poch; the season can be split into three periods for me. The first at the start of the season when he was trying to implement a new system and gave lots of players a chance was poor and uncoordinated; the second saw the emergence of Harry Kane and was largely promising and the third - post cup final - has smacked of a lack of motivation, ambition and energy for which Poch is accountable for.

We'll finish the season in either 6th or 7th which on the face of it is about par for us. However, football suppporters will always remember how a season ends and if the following six games pass in the same manner as the last three games (and Arsenal win the League and/or FA Cup) N17 will be a very unhappy place this Summer with the team and Poch under a lot of pressure to start next season well.

I cannot think of one bargin Kandi, most of our recent signings cannot even get a game or be in the starting eleven, the only part success for me is Ericksen but he is lightweight and being played out of position, Leaving Lamela and Soldado out of the mix we have still bought a load of players that have not improved us at all, this will be my last negative post but I have to say it again, tactically we are clueless, saying we are a one trick pony would be too kind, no sign of progression at all.
Özil cost 3 times more than Eriksen. Is he 3 times better? No fudging way! They are near as makes no difference on the same level. Eriksen was a bargain!

In the two games you highlight, Dembele played an integral role in both. He has one bad game against Spam and seems to have been ditched altogether. Stupid or what? Better by far than the vast majority of our team, and more importantly, presses high and his ball retention draws players to him and this gives Eriksen more time and space. I cant see why Poch can't see that pairing Dembele with Eriksen makes both play better and the team tick. Eriksen looks a shadow of his former self without Dembele in the team.

Till Dembele came on against Chelsea we where getting a battering, he is our best midfielder and it's madness he isn't in the team, let alone the squad ffs.

Mopo has made so many worrying and incorrect decisions this season, and instead of admitting his mistake kept doing it.

Özil cost 3 times more than Eriksen. Is he 3 times better? No fudgeing way! They are near as makes no difference on the same level. Eriksen was a bargain!
I did say he was the part success, he just needs to strengthen up and be played in his best position.

Till Dembele came on against Chelsea we where getting a battering, he is our best midfielder and it's madness he isn't in the team, let alone the squad ffs.

Mopo has made so many worrying and incorrect decisions this season, and instead of admitting his mistake kept doing it.
Dembele should be a cert to start either as one of the three or instead of either Mason or Bentaleb, as you say madness.

That CB is an experience international and we paid £8million for him, its time to stop the excuses.

I agree but to be fair to Fazio, his performance in the second half was infinitely better and won much more headers than in the first half.

Sometime we may possibly expect too much from our players; even a machine that needed repair and was out of use for a long period, will need time until it is working at maximal efficiency.

All winter we've been superb

We're just on a little post-cup final/end of season slump. But not surprising now we've played 51 games using a small core of players

Sherwood's football was ridiculous. It was like the Wanchope of approaches - so chaotic that no one knew what was going on - the opposition or ourselves. Look how insane they were today - 5 injuries and 1 red card - that's not a controlled way to play the game
What a load of crap. Villa were worthy winners today, they had the 3 best chances of the game and took 1 of them. If you're clinging to an injury time dismissal and a few unlucky injuries to try to justify your stubborn belief that Sherwood isn't a good manager then it says everything.

Along with Rose, Lamela was the only one who showed any kind of passion, and those two were the only ones that were pressing and trying to win the ball and do something! Lamela did more in 10 minutes than that fudgeing useless crud Townsend has done in the last 10 games!
Hmmmm I'm not sure 'running around a bit' is the solution to our problems. Lamela came on with fresh legs against a tired Villa so it's no surprise that he looked spritely in terms of his running. IIRC he still gave the ball away in a good position with an absolutely woeful first touch the first time he got the ball after coming on.

Özil cost 3 times more than Eriksen. Is he 3 times better? No fudgeing way! They are near as makes no difference on the same level. Eriksen was a bargain!
I think Ericksen is a better player than Ozil. As an aside I didn't think Ericksen was part of our problem today, him, Rose and Kane all played well. Mason's performance was acceptable. The rest were somewhere between poor and woeful.

Back