• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood Testimonial OMT Spurs v Aston Villa 11th April

Champions League should go back to being for the Champions of each country as it should be. Maybe this would stop this fixation with finishing 4th being more important than winning silverware. This club was about those glory nights, a great cup side probably largely because of the atmosphere we could create at the Labe for them big games. Now the cups are disregarded, second string teams put out, 3/4 full stadiums.

This is not the game I grew up with and loved during the 90's. We were rubbish for alot of it but I cared alot more about the team and the results then than I do now. At least we had players who cared for the club and who we could identify with. Not to mention the two cup wins.

I still watch Spurs of course, and want us to win. but I don't get upset if we lose like I may once have done.

Just not much poiunt investing too much emotion in football these days.

You could've levelled that against him at the end of the 2012/13 season but Benteke' PL scoring record is now more akin to Defoe's, what with one season of nearly breaking the 20 goal barrier followed by enough hot streaks to constantly hit double figures.

Yeah, that's probably fair.

I said weeks ago that we were regressing, we are in a mindless circle making no progress in any area of the pitch, when I saw the starting eleven today it hit me how far back we have gone, no balance, no leader, no plan B, add this to the average overpriced players we have bought and its quite depressing, if the players we bought were any good then rightly or wrongly Kane, Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb, Dier would be no where near first choice players, also where are all the armchair apologists ? game after game we have looked clueless and stuck to a system that we obviously cannot play, we have saved more points in the last ten minutes of games than any other team, to me a good team would not have to do that, also while I am ranting Ericksen and Chadli are a pair of poofs!

The only good points for me this season has been the new stadium coming, Kane, Rose, Hugo, and Vorm.

What kind of twisted, in sane logic is that.

I said he was good but I never said he was Maradona, the only player I have ever seen who could win a game single handedly.

Michael Ricketts? the only way that comes across is sour grapes that all the rubbishing you have dished out at him is coming back to bite you in a very sensitive area.

Yet again, Benteke was unplayable -- and that in a Villa team playing on the break. Imagine what he could provide to a team dominating possession and able to swing in cross after cross into the box; not to mention the space he would set up for the likes of Kane when two defenders converge on his leaving acres for his teammates to run into.

I remain unconvinced by him.

I expect to see a large trimming of the squads with a few coming in. But not wholesale changes

Getting rid of the duds (particularly 6 of the "magnificent" 7) who are on long contracts and high wages wont be as easy as everyone seems to think. Their sale value has plummeted as well as their salary worth. And we all know how modern day footballers love to take a pay cut.

No way - we are a million miles away from where we were 12 months ago.

A big corner has been turned and we are heading in the right direction again.

This feels like the start of something big, like the late 70s did.
What part of the uninspiring performances we've witnessed this season make you think we are on the verge of something big?

I seldom criticise our coach but I do wonder where this high tempo football is we are meant to be playing is most of the time, and the way some players completely vanish from the squad for periods of time when in decent form I find a little disturbing.

I say with some ease I preferred the football we were playing under Sherwood last season, as unpopular as that will be on here. I'm all for giving him this summer to work with this new recruitment set up and getting the players in he wants but if this continues for much longer the knives will once again start to come out....

Reading this thread, 99% of posters can see the problems clearly

I'd like to think Poch can see it too, but... game after game we have odd selection, slow tempo, poor quality, lethargic, ponderous, no real penetration, and a bored opposition goalkeeper

I will never expect you to admit that Sherwood - that clown who you said had no idea of tactics - outplayed, out thought and out foxed Pochettino and played to the strengths of their number 1 player, who you said was pile of crap - and both of them won them the game

It's amazing how people can't see that someone who has the best record in the Premier League as a Spurs manager and has now taken Villa out of the relegation zone is actually able to do something.

He resurrected Adebayor last season and has done the same for Benteke this season turning a striker with 2 goals in 16 into one with 10 in the last 7 (isn't it).

But of course he knows nothing.

Lloris
....... ....... Vert Rose

Bentaleb Dembele

........ Eriksen ........

Kane

I think these are the areas we need to improve as well as another striker

If we can get a very good centre mid i would replace Dembele or Bentaleb

Should go for

Vlaar
Jaqelka
Mirelles
Benteke
Richards for right back
Thats all i can think of right now. All wouldn't cost too much apart from Benteke but he is still young. Try and get in another pacey winger or bring Lennon back.

Fazio
Kaboul
Lamela
Soldado
Paulinho
Capoue
All not good enough

Mason
Townsend
Dier
Chadli
Walker
Davies
Chiriches
Stambouli
Adebayor ( if he can improve)

all can be part of the squad

It's amazing how people can't see that someone who has the best record in the Premier League as a Spurs manager and has now taken Villa out of the relegation zone is actually able to do something.

He resurrected Adebayor last season and has done the same for Benteke this season turning a striker with 2 goals in 16 into one with 10 in the last 7 (isn't it).

I didnt even mind Sherwood (still dont) he gave a lot of the players a kick up the backside. I would have been ok with him getting a full season.

I'll be surprised if MP can't see the problems, I don't think our performance is by design, it's a case of the players not executing.

We've been here before under AVB, hopefully this time Levy will hold off and let the coach work through it.

It seem like we're very much in the minority here.

But no amount of facts or statistics will ever change some people's pre-conceived opinions - not even when the bloke comes here and beats us on our own patch.

What part of the uninspiring performances we've witnessed this season make you think we are on the verge of something big?

I seldom criticise our coach but I do wonder where this high tempo football is we are meant to be playing is most of the time, and the way some players completely vanish from the squad for periods of time when in decent form I find a little disturbing.

I say with some ease I preferred the football we were playing under Sherwood last season, as unpopular as that will be on here. I'm all for giving him this summer to work with this new recruitment set up and getting the players in he wants but if this continues for much longer the knives will once again start to come out....

All winter we've been superb

We're just on a little post-cup final/end of season slump. But not surprising now we've played 51 games using a small core of players

Sherwood's football was ridiculous. It was like the Wanchope of approaches - so chaotic that no one knew what was going on - the opposition or ourselves. Look how insane they were today - 5 injuries and 1 red card - that's not a controlled way to play the game

It's amazing how people can't see that someone who has the best record in the Premier League as a Spurs manager

Do you know that AVB has our best Premier League record for a manger who has managed more than 30 games? Do you want him back too?

We're just on a little post-cup final/end of season slump. But not surprising now we've played 51 games using a small core of players

Sherwood's football was ridiculous. It was like the Wanchope of approaches - so chaotic that no one knew what was going on - the opposition or ourselves. Look how insane they were today - 5 injuries and 1 red card - that's not a controlled way to play the game

Please tell me all these games where you think we have been "superb" ?

Do you know that AVB has our best Premier League record for a manger who has managed more than 30 games? Do you want him back too?

Nope, and I don't want Sherwood back either. All I'm pointing out is that sometimes Sherwood deserves a little more credit than he gets. You don't turn round a team's fortunes purely on luck.

I said weeks ago that we were regressing, we are in a mindless circle making no progress in any area of the pitch, when I saw the starting eleven today it hit me how far back we have gone, no balance, no leader, no plan B, add this to the average overpriced players we have bought and its quite depressing, if the players we bought were any good then rightly or wrongly Kane, Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb, Dier would be no where near first choice players, also where are all the armchair apologists ? game after game we have looked clueless and stuck to a system that we obviously cannot play, we have saved more points in the last ten minutes of games than any other team, to me a good team would not have to do that, also while I am ranting Ericksen and Chadli are a pair of poofs!

The only good points for me this season has been the new stadium coming, Kane, Rose, Hugo, and Vorm.

When there is something you want to debate about some of the youngest players in there Premiership coming the end of their first 2/3 season together having played more games than any other side, let me know and I'll put down my pipe and slippers mate. Eriksen is knackered and Chadli? Yes, agreed, lightweight and not been the same player since his father passed.

We put out a side which was tired and contained many second-string players IMO (next season I will bet half that side isn't here). I thought Villa were very purposeful for 20 mins, but if we had played with even 20% of the incisiveness we showed in Dec and jan, we'd have ben at least two up by the time they scored. We made it too easy for them. Sherwood remains an absolute clam, waving at the director's box, making it all about him all the time, I remain DELIGHTED the clam is nothing to do with our club anymore, I do not like his 'style' of 'management' one bit.

Just to remind everyone, Benteke beat a CB today who hasn't played for over a month and who wouldn't have played today if it had not been for two injuries forcing a reshuffle at the back. I happen to think Benteke has great potential and is a decent 9, but he is not 'the answer'...we have that...we just need to find upgrades on Chadli and Andros.

Back