• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

need L"big balls"VG to come in.. might last 18 mins or 18 months, but should be fun..i have honestly given up on achieving anything else.

I agree that LVG's leadership style is what we need - but as I've said before if we get LVG in we'd need a whole new squad. He'd break the ones we have now into little pieces.

Though Sherwood is opinionated it seems to be all about himself and I don't feel that connection, affection and passion for the club from him that I did from even Martin Jol.

When Terry Venables joined he said "There's something magical about this place" all Sherwood has really done is state the obvious and yet the buck stops with the manager and on Saturday we weren't prepared to do the job.

He actually ****ed me off rather than made me respect him I'm no fan of Levy but I have never once heard Sherwood say how much he loves the club.

I just get the feeling he couldn't give a **** and just used the players as spacegoats for another humiliation. If AVB had of done the same he would have been slaughtered on here by most what makes Sherwood so special I'm ****ing mystified?

I want someone in charge who actually has a clue about the game I'm sorry but Sherwood don't. Been to plenty of youth games watching Clive Allen in charge and even a pre-season friendly has him screaming at the lino "Do you ****ing support them laugh.gif?

That's the kind of passion I wanna see in a manager as well as some genuine managerial knowledge, tactical nous and awareness sorry but Clive Allen knows the game much better than Sherwood I don't know what direction he's taking the team but can't see the team being prepared for Lisbon and I think we need some managerial class if we are to get anywhere his season at all.

Sherwood just ain't got it okay the players deserved a slaughtering but he's the ****ing manager ain't it his job to get them prepared, ready and in shape? AVB would have been crucified after a performance like that but yet people fall for a cheap publicity stunt from a geezer who looks like he's just finished a bowl of magic mushrooms **** me sometimes I really don't get some of you lot.

Again we were found wanting against top class opponents I just don't wanna see us **** up against Benfica cos there's no reason we can't beat them. They ain't Real Madrid or Barca **** me they ain't even Liverpool.

Just think we need a figurehead with some kind of status Hoddle til the end of the season and Sherwood to er, **** knows some kind of breakaway retreat for some therapy the fella looks shellshocked every time he gets a microphone shoved in his face.

He knows **** all about football Glenn Hoddle knows the game inside out what's more despite the fact everyone said how much they love.gifd Keegan but did you ever see Beckham or Owen play as well as they did under Hoddle in the 98 World Cup?

All I'm saying is that he'd win the respect of the players Sherwood might not think it but youth team manager is about the height of his talents if he don't like it he can **** off to Torquay if he wants.

Interesting post...it's fair to say that when he said what he said, it was great to hear because I heard it as a supporter who felt frustrated/the same way...as a professional, yes, cannot disagree, it was ill-advised and self-protective. I still like the fact he did it, but that does not mean it was the right thing to do.

Sherwood is all about himself and to be fair to him, he is just the fall-guy in this. He clearly wanted the opportunity to be head coach and was only afforded that opportunity as Levy's prime target, LVG would not join until after the World Cup. Levy has probably thought, well lets give it to Sherwood to steady the ship until season's end, anything we get out of this season is a bonus, plus I believe Sherwood has become a bit of a disruptive influence at the club in terms of being a 'shadow' behind any manager in the job with clear designs on the top role himself. I don't think it helped AVB, to be fair, to have Sherwood around. Not that i'm blaming one or the other, its just that by his very presence, having someone that was making a name for himself behind the scenes and was being talked about in the press as being groomed for the manager's job, didn't help the current manager's credibility.

Levy probably thought now is a good time to assess whether Sherwood has what it takes, now or in the future and if he doesn't an excuse to either get rid, or stick him back to youth level with a more defined role and less influence.

Sherwood is an emotional character, but seems to be emotional in a rather reactive way, rather than the calculating, intelligence way that Redknapp was, for example.

Sherwood reminds me of many of us on this forum, letting his emtions get the better of him and spouting nonsense that often contradicts itself.

In January, Sherwood admits himself that Levy offered him the opportunity to strengthen. He declined, stating that the first-team squad was good enough. Why he didn't at least sort out the left-back and centre-back situation, i'm not sure, but he stated that the first-team squad was good enough to work with.

To an extent i agree with this and what was needed was greater stability, but given our subsequent performances against City & Chelsea, my opinion is that the squad badly needs some experience and leadership quality to be mixed in with the young and talented squad that we have.

Sherwood also put Nabil Bentaleb in the team and he has done pretty well. I mean he's not the next coming of Messi, but he has done enough to suggest he has a very bright future at the club. Sherwood claims he played him because he can trust him. He also has had Veljkovic (spelling) occupying a spot on the bench along with Shaquile Coulhirst and Laste Dombaxe from the youth set up.

Sherwood had the option of playing these players more, but chose not to, presumably because he felt that the players in the first team squad were worthy of his trust over these other guys? The same first team squad that did not need any work on in the January window?

Sherwood laid into his players after Chelsea, saying he couldn't trust some of them. But which ones? Bentaleb he could clearly trust, given his own comments. Adebayor was reinstated under Sherwood, so presumably he could trust him. Lennon has been in the team constantly under Sherwood, despite poor form, when other options are available such as Chadli and Townsend, so clearly he must trust him. Sigurdsson was resinstated as soon as he was fit, so presumably this is another one Sherwood could trust?

The point i'm making is that I see what some are seeing as a passionate, thought-provoking and welcome commentary on the state of the club. What I see in this is just Sherwood mouthing off at everyone he can and deflecting blame in reaction to a bad defeat where he sees his chances of a permanent manager's job at Spurs dissapearing faster than a ball-boy after a Spurs free-kick.

I agree that LVG's leadership style is what we need - but as I've said before if we get LVG in we'd need a whole new squad. He'd break the ones we have now into little pieces.

I totally disagree. LVG likes working with young submissive blank canvass players, who he can mould. It's superstars that he doesn't seem to have time for. He'd love our squad. They have all the quality, they just need organising and motivating.

Though Sherwood is opinionated it seems to be all about himself and I don't feel that connection, affection and passion for the club from him that I did from even Martin Jol.

When Terry Venables joined he said "There's something magical about this place" all Sherwood has really done is state the obvious and yet the buck stops with the manager and on Saturday we weren't prepared to do the job.

He actually ****ed me off rather than made me respect him I'm no fan of Levy but I have never once heard Sherwood say how much he loves the club.

I just get the feeling he couldn't give a **** and just used the players as spacegoats for another humiliation. If AVB had of done the same he would have been slaughtered on here by most what makes Sherwood so special I'm ****ing mystified?

I want someone in charge who actually has a clue about the game I'm sorry but Sherwood don't. Been to plenty of youth games watching Clive Allen in charge and even a pre-season friendly has him screaming at the lino "Do you ****ing support them laugh.gif?

That's the kind of passion I wanna see in a manager as well as some genuine managerial knowledge, tactical nous and awareness sorry but Clive Allen knows the game much better than Sherwood I don't know what direction he's taking the team but can't see the team being prepared for Lisbon and I think we need some managerial class if we are to get anywhere his season at all.

Sherwood just ain't got it okay the players deserved a slaughtering but he's the ****ing manager ain't it his job to get them prepared, ready and in shape? AVB would have been crucified after a performance like that but yet people fall for a cheap publicity stunt from a geezer who looks like he's just finished a bowl of magic mushrooms **** me sometimes I really don't get some of you lot.

Again we were found wanting against top class opponents I just don't wanna see us **** up against Benfica cos there's no reason we can't beat them. They ain't Real Madrid or Barca **** me they ain't even Liverpool.

Just think we need a figurehead with some kind of status Hoddle til the end of the season and Sherwood to er, **** knows some kind of breakaway retreat for some therapy the fella looks shellshocked every time he gets a microphone shoved in his face.

He knows **** all about football Glenn Hoddle knows the game inside out what's more despite the fact everyone said how much they love.gifd Keegan but did you ever see Beckham or Owen play as well as they did under Hoddle in the 98 World Cup?

All I'm saying is that he'd win the respect of the players Sherwood might not think it but youth team manager is about the height of his talents if he don't like it he can **** off to Torquay if he wants.

A bad workman blames his tools and all that.

I don't want to see a manager telling the world what he thinks the problems are. I want him to say what the solutions are. The interview was like one of those shell-shocked relegation-fodder managers who keep saying their players need to work harder.

Timmeh's greatest quality has always been self-publicity.

We have though. The damage he does to our dressing room could last a lot longer than his brief tenure.

I really would like to see some tangible example of what exactly will happen to the dressing room as a result of what Sherwood said. He is telling the truth, any player that decides to actively disagree with what he said, or spit their dummy out and refuse to play/put the effort in I don't think is a player we should want at the club anyway. Most players, eg Kaboul and Dawson, have said that it is simply unacceptable that capitulations have happened too often, so players agree.

Are they going to say 'that was too harsh Tim, we played ok, no need to be mean about it' or something? If it was a one off, Sherwood wouldn't have said something as extreme as he did. But for a club like ours, this is an extreme run of results. He hasn't accused them of being bad fathers or something really personal, he's said from what he's seen he can't count on these players to bounce back. Fair comment. They will either have to prove him wrong or will show Sherwood he was right.

I really would like to see some tangible example of what exactly will happen to the dressing room as a result of what Sherwood said. He is telling the truth, any player that decides to actively disagree with what he said, or spit their dummy out and refuse to play/put the effort in I don't think is a player we should want at the club anyway. Most players, eg Kaboul and Dawson, have said that it is simply unacceptable that capitulations have happened too often, so players agree.

Are they going to say 'that was too harsh Tim, we played ok, no need to be mean about it' or something? If it was a one off, Sherwood wouldn't have said something as extreme as he did. But for a club like ours, this is an extreme run of results. He hasn't accused them of being bad fathers or something really personal, he's said from what he's seen he can't count on these players to bounce back. Fair comment. They will either have to prove him wrong or will show Sherwood he was right.

He's creating a division between those he believes he can trust and those he doesn't. That's an old Redknapp trick that he's learned.

That division/resentment/jealousy/etc that he creates between the players can last a long time. I'm not saying it will, but he's basically playing what for him is a no lose game that for Spurs can be a big loss.

i'm actually with TS on this, and yes Scara you are right it could cause us more problems but its medicine we need to take, we need to weed em out, you can't succeed with that attitude in the squad

He's creating a division between those he believes he can trust and those he doesn't. That's an old Redknapp trick that he's learned.

That division/resentment/jealousy/etc that he creates between the players can last a long time. I'm not saying it will, but he's basically playing what for him is a no lose game that for Spurs can be a big loss.

The alternative is that it might unite the squad against him. Strong bonds are often forged in adversity.

One of AVB's strong points was developing 'the collective' (while admittedly pulling out those who were a threat to it - i.e. Ade and BAE). They've visibly been the most cordial group since possibly the early 90s (the last drinking culture side), so this might help give them direction as well as affability.

Hoddle, the guy that was standing motionless doing sod all as we collapsed and conceded 5 against Man Utd in the second half? I remember 2001-2003 under Hoddle and by the end I wanted him out and no way do I want him back

i'm actually with TS on this, and yes Scara you are right it could cause us more problems but its medicine we need to take, we need to weed em out, you can't succeed with that attitude in the squad

It's either 20 odd players, or it’s the (lack of) leadership.

Other than Bentaleb and Ade, who does Timmeh actually trust? None of our players have that nasty streak in them that he seems to crave. But this is the 2010s, not the 1990s.

I think it is personal in a way though. He has questioned their character. That could go well beyond football even if Tim didn't mean it to.

I'm interested to see what happens too. I don't think it'll be pretty. The manager's job is not to react like that when circumstances are as extreme as they are. He needs to keep a level head. I know a lot of fans will say "that was great, he said just what we were thinking". I thought the same when I heard it. But put yourself in Verts shoes. If he's not committed now and he has his manager telling the world he can't count on him, is he going to be any more committed for the next game? What if you're Adebayor? He probably wasn't one that Tim was talking about. But then, Adebayor has always had a big question over his attitude. So if Tim doesn't clarify what he meant, maybe Adebayor thinks it's possible he could be one of the ones that Tim "wouldn't count on". What if you're Soldado or Townsend? You're on the bench and the manager is putting lads in ahead of you that "he can't count on". What does that make you? I know it's easy to say these lads are on 40k-100k a week so they should just suck it up but the wage doesn't stop them being people and reacting like people. Tim's job is to get the best out of them and I don't believe this is the way to do it. He's not absolved of that responsibility if he comes out and ****s them off.

In any case, he's clearly a dead man walking. That's a shame because results have been good under him. However, his relationship with Levy is clearly strained. Levy himself has questions to answer. We are now the basket case of the Premiership (maybe Saudi Sportswashing Machine aside) and that's because Levy has taken some pretty poor decisions this season. Overall, he's done a good job as chairman but these last 12 months have been really poor and he's answerable for that in my book.

It's either 20 odd players, or it’s the (lack of) leadership.

Other than Bentaleb and Ade, who does Timmeh actually trust? None of our players have that nasty streak in them that he seems to crave. But this is the 2010s, not the 1990s.
teams today still need shouters and leaders on the pitch.....look at Terry at Chels, Ivanavic and Cech are not shy retiring types either. Mertesacker has laid into a few of his teammates, Gerrard and Toure at Liverpool, the top teams always need strong characters on the pitch to tell the others whats what when things look like they are about to go pear shaped

I think it is personal in a way though. He has questioned their character. That could go well beyond football even if Tim didn't mean it to.

I'm interested to see what happens too. I don't think it'll be pretty. The manager's job is not to react like that when circumstances are as extreme as they are. He needs to keep a level head. I know a lot of fans will say "that was great, he said just what we were thinking". I thought the same when I heard it. But put yourself in Verts shoes. If he's not committed now and he has his manager telling the world he can't count on him, is he going to be any more committed for the next game? What if you're Adebayor? He probably wasn't one that Tim was talking about. But then, Adebayor has always had a big question over his attitude. So if Tim doesn't clarify what he meant, maybe Adebayor thinks it's possible he could be one of the ones that Tim "wouldn't count on". What if you're Soldado or Townsend? You're on the bench and the manager is putting lads in ahead of you that "he can't count on". What does that make you? I know it's easy to say these lads are on 40k-100k a week so they should just suck it up but the wage doesn't stop them being people and reacting like people. Tim's job is to get the best out of them and I don't believe this is the way to do it. He's not absolved of that responsibility if he comes out and ****s them off.

In any case, he's clearly a dead man walking. That's a shame because results have been good under him. However, his relationship with Levy is clearly strained. Levy himself has questions to answer. We are now the basket case of the Premiership (maybe Saudi Sportswashing Machine aside) and that's because Levy has taken some pretty poor decisions this season. Overall, he's done a good job as chairman but these last 12 months have been really poor and he's answerable for that in my book.

Agreed on Levy.

I think if it's Verts for example, and let's say hypothetically he is one of the people Tim can't count on, and also one of the players looking to move if we don't make top 4, I'm not sure being all nicely nicely with him is actually going to make a difference. Let's say he is already thinks he's too good for us and is planning his route out, he's already had the nicely nicely approach and it's lead to (still hypothetically) being one of the guys that Tim can't count on.

I think he either gets shamed into bucking his ideas up for the rest of the season or he leaves anyway. For a club of our size to take the hammerings we have done is not on. It's easy for a Wenger to defend the players and write it off as a one off when it happens once a year or once every 3...not so easy when it's happened multiple times in the space of a few months.

Agreed on Levy.

I think if it's Verts for example, and let's say hypothetically he is one of the people Tim can't count on, and also one of the players looking to move if we don't make top 4, I'm not sure being all nicely nicely with him is actually going to make a difference. Let's say he is already thinks he's too good for us and is planning his route out, he's already had the nicely nicely approach and it's lead to (still hypothetically) being one of the guys that Tim can't count on.

I think he either gets shamed into bucking his ideas up for the rest of the season or he leaves anyway. For a club of our size to take the hammerings we have done is not on. It's easy for a Wenger to defend the players and write it off as a one off when it happens once a year or once every 3...not so easy when it's happened multiple times in the space of a few months.

You could be right mate, time will tell.

I think what Hoddle said on Saturday is very true. Something along the lines of "It's easy to be a Premier League manager when you're winning games. The real test is how you react when you're losing." Tim's reacted in an unorthodox way and he's either going to lose (part of) the dressing room or he's seen something in the group that tells him this is what they'll respond to.

I know some posters on here can't wait for him to fail. I really hope he kicks on and has a great managerial career and am really interested to see how this pans out. I fear it's going to be a car crash but I'd love to be 100% wrong.

Agreed on Levy.

Or maybe Verts was happy here before being ****ed off by YTS Tim? Now maybe he's looking to move in earnest because of the way he's been spoken about.

The alternative is that it might unite the squad against him. Strong bonds are often forged in adversity.

One of AVB's strong points was developing 'the collective' (while admittedly pulling out those who were a threat to it - i.e. Ade and BAE). They've visibly been the most cordial group since possibly the early 90s (the last drinking culture side), so this might help give them direction as well as affability.

They can't really unite against him though can they. What are they going to do, go out and lose games on purpose? They are pro footballers going into a world cup year, even if they no longer gave a **** about TS they have reason to perform week in week out.

Scara's point about divide and conquer, if the circumstance is that there are multiple players that don't have the character or fight that the manager wants would you not rather he (particularly at this stage in the season) identifies those he can count on and those he can't now rather than be consistently let down giving players a second chance?

Or maybe Verts was happy here before being ****ed off by YTS Tim? Now maybe he's looking to move in earnest because of the way he's been spoken about.

If that is the case I'll freely admit it was a stupid move from YTST. However I think the reality is more likely that if Verts is looking to leave anyway, this won't actually have made a difference or be the reason why. In actual fact he would be leaving because he wants to join a CL side and make CL money. I wouldn't put it past him using YTSTs interview as a justification for seeking a move, although I think he was engineering it before. (In this hypothetical situation where it is indeed Verts he can't count on)

They can't really unite against him though can they. What are they going to do, go out and lose games on purpose? They are pro footballers going into a world cup year, even if they no longer gave a **** about TS they have reason to perform week in week out.

Scara's point about divide and conquer, if the circumstance is that there are multiple players that don't have the character or fight that the manager wants would you not rather he (particularly at this stage in the season) identifies those he can count on and those he can't now rather than be consistently let down giving players a second chance?

That relies on his judgement of who he can and can't trust being spot on. It also assumes that a better manager (LvG) can't get more out of those players. If people can believe Timmeh has turned Ade around (I don't) then it must follow that the right manager has a chance of doing so with others.

Back