• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

That relies on his judgement of who he can and can't trust being spot on. It also assumes that a better manager (LvG) can't get more out of those players. If people can believe Timmeh has turned Ade around (I don't) then it must follow that the right manager has a chance of doing so with others.

Scara have you tried politics? You could run a good campaign!

No one has mentioned that this some I can trust some I can't is not really different to the Fergie/ Rodgers envelope is it?

Tim Sherwood claimed the 'silence is deafening' regarding his long-term Tottenham future, but insisted he doesn't want to become an assistant.

Former Spurs midfielder Sherwood took charge at White Hart Lane in December following the departure of Andre Villas-Boas and he was handed a contract until the end of next season.

However, there have been constant rumours that Sherwood will be replaced in the summer, with veteran Dutch coach Louis van Gaal linked with the post.

There have been reports that Sherwood could work as the assistant to any new manager, but it is a role that the current Spurs boss has no interest in.

Sherwood has acknowledged that his future lies in the club's hands, but he has heard nothing from Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

"The silence is deafening, isn't it?" said Sherwood after Saturday's 4-0 defeat at Chelsea.

"Look, the decision is up to Daniel. I didn't know if he was here or not. Maybe he was travelling?

"It's up to the club to make the decision. One thing I can guarantee people is that no one cares more than me.

"I want the team to do very well and it hurts me when they don't. I'm afraid I need people in that dressing room to be hurting like I am."

He added: "I never want to be a number two. I'd be no good, I'm too opinionated. I wouldn't want to do the job.

"But I do think there is a place for a technical director. I'm someone who sees the club from the bottom to the top on the training field.

"A lot of clubs need people like that otherwise you get no continuity and end up buying seven or 10 players every window and your turnover of players is too great."

Spurs' defeat at Chelsea left the team four points adrift of the UEFA Champions League places, but having played three games more than fourth-placed Emirates Marketing Project.
Sherwood insisted they have no chance of finishing in the top four if they cannot beat the top sides and bemoaned the 'lack of characters' after the loss at Stamford Bridge.

"We aren't going to finish top-four if you can't beat the top teams. It ain't going to happen, you're miles away unless you beat the top teams," he told Sky Sports after the game.

"You have to pick up some points. All right, we beat [Man] United and Everton around us, but you can't rely on rolling over the smaller sides - it does not work out like that. We did all right in patches, but there are too many blips - you are talking about fourth, people at the club, but wake up."

Asked what he put the "capitulation" down to, he answered: "Lack of characters.

"Too many of them are too nice to each other. You need to show a bit more gut and not want to be someone's mate all the time and it can't always be me having a pop - they have to drag it out of each other. It hurts me.

"I'm not going to forget this by the time we hit the motorway. Some might - but on to the next match. That is the nature of the game."

However, former Spurs Glenn Hoddle disagreed with Sherwood's decision to question the character of his players after the game.

"It's a different era now," Hoddle told Saturday Night Football.

"I agree he was very honest but personally that's something you say in the dressing room to the players. You might come out and disguise what your feelings are.

"Management is about when things are going wrong. When you're playing well and winning, it's easy to be a manager of a Premier League side.

"He's being tested now. His testing time is coming now because of this result and other results like Norwich away. That's when Tim Sherwood is going to be tested as a manager.

"But it's not his fault that his players went and made those mistakes, they were individual mistakes.

"That's not down to the manager. He didn't set them up to make those mistakes."

www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9205827/Sherwood-Future-up-to-Spurs

If that is the case I'll freely admit it was a stupid move from YTST. However I think the reality is more likely that if Verts is looking to leave anyway, this won't actually have made a difference or be the reason why. In actual fact he would be leaving because he wants to join a CL side and make CL money. I wouldn't put it past him using YTSTs interview as a justification for seeking a move, although I think he was engineering it before. (In this hypothetical situation where it is indeed Verts he can't count on)

I suppose we don't even know if he was talking about Verts. All of us are assuming.

If he was then Tim has a choice. If there is any chance that Verts will perform for us, Tim has to drag that out of him. That's his job. If he doesn't think Verts is or will be at the races, then he should drop him.

There is the remote possibility that Tim is being forced to play him but he doesn't talk like a man who'd accept that and, anyway, his interview in the papers today indicates this isn't the case as he doesn't seem to have much contact with Levy.

If Tim is talking about Verts, then his rant isn't credible if he leaves him in the team if there isn't an improvement in his performances/attitude.

Scara have you tried politics? You could run a good campaign!

No one has mentioned that this some I can trust some I can't is not really different to the Fergie/ Rodgers envelope is it?

I dabbled in local politics. The party told me they would no longer be requiring my subscriptions when I told a potential voter who blamed everything on immigration that he was a ****.

Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood gets the backing of
chairman Daniel Levy after Chelsea thrashing

Support for the Spurs coach at meeting

Tom Collomosse
Updated: 12:03, 10 March 2014

Tottenham were today attempting to reassure Tim Sherwood that he has their full backing after the head coach spoke candidly about his future at the weekend.

Sherwood was due to have a meeting today with chairman Daniel Levy — it is thought the pair have been in regular contact throughout Sherwood’s tenure — at which the 45-year-old was expected to hear a favourable report of his work.

Since Sherwood replaced the sacked Andre Villas-Boas shortly before Christmas, he has seen other managers linked with the job in the long term. Holland coach Louis van Gaal has done nothing to douse speculation that he will succeed Sherwood in the summer, while Ajax boss Frank De Boer revealed he was approached before Sherwood took over.

There are also thought to have been tentative talks with Italy coach Cesare Prandelli, who is highly regarded by Spurs technical director Franco Baldini. It is believed Sherwood would welcome greater clarity from the club on where he stands and Spurs were planning to inform him that, as far as the club are concerned, nothing has changed since he took over nearly three months ago.

Friends of Sherwood said he was approaching today’s meeting with Levy with no intention of abandoning his position early, even though he appeared particularly deflated in the wake of the match at Stamford Bridge.It is thought the results he has achieved since taking the job — eight wins from 13 League games and qualification for the last 16 of the Europa League — have largely been well received.

Tottenham stress they have not approached any other manager since Sherwood took the job and have emphasised that the club’s former development coach holds a contract until the end of next season. Sherwood is, however, expected to be reminded of the need for tact when speaking publicly, following his explosive post-match interview after Saturday’s 4-0 defeat at Chelsea.

Sherwood questioned the character of some of his players following that result and, when asked about Spurs’ prospects of qualifying for the Champions League, he said: “Everyone in the club talks about fourth. Wake up.” While Tottenham accept Sherwood is a forthright character and acknowledge his desire to speak openly, it is likely to be suggested to him that he might be wiser to keep criticism of his squad within the walls of the dressing room.

The club were also keen to point out that Sherwood had never been asked to finish in the top four when he succeeded Villas-Boas. They insist that Champions League qualification will not be the decisive factor in whether or not Sherwood is retained.

Standard Sport understands, however, that Sherwood is unlikely to take a softer approach with his players. The head coach believes strongly that, at a crucial stage of the season and in light of performances against the Premier League’s best teams, a hard line is required.

Meanwhile, Tottenham will appeal against the red card shown to Younes Kaboul at Stamford Bridge. The defender was sent off in the incident that led to the penalty which gave Chelsea their second goal but he appeared to have made little contact with Samuel Eto’o before the forward fell.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...iel-levy-after-chelsea-thrashing-9181507.html

I must say, as much as I agree with what Sherwood did, the Daily Mail - Martin Samuel piece about how it is still AVB's fault really is quite something, even for them.

Tim Sherwood claimed the 'silence is deafening' regarding his long-term Tottenham future, but insisted he doesn't want to become an assistant.

Former Spurs midfielder Sherwood took charge at White Hart Lane in December following the departure of Andre Villas-Boas and he was handed a contract until the end of next season.

However, there have been constant rumours that Sherwood will be replaced in the summer, with veteran Dutch coach Louis van Gaal linked with the post.

There have been reports that Sherwood could work as the assistant to any new manager, but it is a role that the current Spurs boss has no interest in.

Sherwood has acknowledged that his future lies in the club's hands, but he has heard nothing from Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

"The silence is deafening, isn't it?" said Sherwood after Saturday's 4-0 defeat at Chelsea.

"Look, the decision is up to Daniel. I didn't know if he was here or not. Maybe he was travelling?

"It's up to the club to make the decision. One thing I can guarantee people is that no one cares more than me.

"I want the team to do very well and it hurts me when they don't. I'm afraid I need people in that dressing room to be hurting like I am."

He added: "I never want to be a number two. I'd be no good, I'm too opinionated. I wouldn't want to do the job.

"But I do think there is a place for a technical director. I'm someone who sees the club from the bottom to the top on the training field.

"A lot of clubs need people like that otherwise you get no continuity and end up buying seven or 10 players every window and your turnover of players is too great."

Spurs' defeat at Chelsea left the team four points adrift of the UEFA Champions League places, but having played three games more than fourth-placed Emirates Marketing Project.
Sherwood insisted they have no chance of finishing in the top four if they cannot beat the top sides and bemoaned the 'lack of characters' after the loss at Stamford Bridge.

"We aren't going to finish top-four if you can't beat the top teams. It ain't going to happen, you're miles away unless you beat the top teams," he told Sky Sports after the game.

"You have to pick up some points. All right, we beat [Man] United and Everton around us, but you can't rely on rolling over the smaller sides - it does not work out like that. We did all right in patches, but there are too many blips - you are talking about fourth, people at the club, but wake up."

Asked what he put the "capitulation" down to, he answered: "Lack of characters.

"Too many of them are too nice to each other. You need to show a bit more gut and not want to be someone's mate all the time and it can't always be me having a pop - they have to drag it out of each other. It hurts me.

"I'm not going to forget this by the time we hit the motorway. Some might - but on to the next match. That is the nature of the game."

However, former Spurs Glenn Hoddle disagreed with Sherwood's decision to question the character of his players after the game.

"It's a different era now," Hoddle told Saturday Night Football.

"I agree he was very honest but personally that's something you say in the dressing room to the players. You might come out and disguise what your feelings are.

"Management is about when things are going wrong. When you're playing well and winning, it's easy to be a manager of a Premier League side.

"He's being tested now. His testing time is coming now because of this result and other results like Norwich away. That's when Tim Sherwood is going to be tested as a manager.

"But it's not his fault that his players went and made those mistakes, they were individual mistakes.

"That's not down to the manager. He didn't set them up to make those mistakes."

www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9205827/Sherwood-Future-up-to-Spurs

Wow. Is that a play for Baldini's job?

If AVB had of done the same he would have been slaughtered on here by most what makes Sherwood so special I'm ****ing mystified?
He's not AVB, basically. IMO of course, people wanted rid of Andre, they got it but Levy then gave them Sherwood, so they have to back Sherwood, despite I suspect a lot of private misgivings.

I dabbled in local politics. The party told me they would no longer be requiring my subscriptions when I told a potential voter who blamed everything on immigration that he was a ****.

I would've voted for you for that reason alone...

this country would be a better place if local politicians were honest with the scumbag element of their constituencies

He's not AVB, basically. IMO of course, people wanted rid of Andre, they got it but Levy then gave them Sherwood, so they have to back Sherwood, despite I suspect a lot of private misgivings.

I think this is what it comes down, in that I think a lot of people realised:

- AVB had to go, as he'd fallen out with Baldini & Levy and didn't have the heart or fight to stay anymore.
- None of our choices to succeed him were available
- Sherwood is the best option to steady the ship and prevent a complete implosion (i.e. keep the club vaguely competitive in the top 6 so come the summer we are marketable to new managers/new players as a club that is able to challenge).

At present we are all guess how the players will react. At least we only have to wait until Thursday to find out

It's a funny one this one - i've read through reams and teams of posts, read some very good points being made on both sides of the argument, and so wanted to add my two penneth worth. this is the Tim Sherwood thread so I will focus my comments on that:

Tim's post-match reaction / comments - seem to be two very different streams of thought on this one. On the one hand says he did the right thing calling out some players who didn't have the right character, because let's face it, it's what we the fans have been seeing for quite some time now.

On the other hand, his post-match reaction is seen as naive, that of an inexperienced manager who has let his emotions get the better of him and said a few things about 'nameless' players, which may or may not come back to bite him.

So what's the right answer? Well unfortunately I don't think there is one but if we are looking at this dispassionately, what Tim did may not, on balance, have been the right thing IMO. Let's switch this around, if its Mourinho against Arsenal and Arsenal had done to them what Chelski had done to us, what's Jose's reaction? We can only guess but he may have focused on the main game changer, the penalty and sending off of Kaboom - everything thereafter wasn't pretty and yes we made it worse through some very bad individual errors, but we still had a chance to get something from the game. Now Jose may also have called out some of his players for lacking character, but the difference is that the players seem him, seen that he has been successful know that chelski have a big enough squad to keep players on there toes. Tim does not have that reputation, because he does not have any previous experience. Like it or not players will be less likely to heed his words than the words of a much more experienced manager, even if those words were right.

Think about it you get balled out at work by a new young boss who hasn't been doing the job for long or you get balled out by a guy who has been around the block and has your respect, then who are you most likely to listen to / pay regard to. More times than not its the more experienced guy than the young guy, even if the message is the same. This is not me having a go at Tim specifically, its me pointing out human nature.

And the 'weak-minded' players also know that with our current injury crises, there is much less competition for places so, again like it or not, human nature says they will be less likely to put in the extra effort that knowing your place is up for grabs means you have to.

This last point is crucial for me - having called out some of this players as not having the right character, Tim needs to follow that up, drop a few underperforming players, shake things up abit. But he does not have the personnel to do that - and what a week to be doing that - big game against Benfica and even bigger game against the Goons.

Those of you already thinking that the like of Rodgers, Martinez even Pep show that young managers aren't always less successful that more experienced ones (and therefore less well-regarded / respected) are right. What those Managers have that Tim does not is i) a team molded by them to ii) play a specific way - success always makes players more open to respecting their manager.

So what should Tim have done - for me the post-match reaction should've been all about the poor refereeing, poor penalty, poor sending off, what else can you expect when we're playing someone like Chelsea, refs had a bad day, we move on. They hardly had a sniff at goal all game until Jan's unfortunate slip. the two goals at the end came about as a result of the sending off , and reshuffling of the team after Daws goes off. The scoreline was overly flattering to them, and didn't reflect how well we'd kept them at bay initially, but let's not forget Chelski have not lost for 74 games at home under Mourinho. They even did Emirates Marketing Project so let's not get too carried away by this result. We'll have a sit down with the lads, go through the game again, work on the areas we need to be tighter on, and move on upwards and onwards. We don't have time to wallow in pity, we need to pick ourselves up and get ready for a tough game against Benfica and then the big one against the Goons.

Yes a lot of the above is 'blame' shifting, and hides some of the real truths of the lack of character in the squad etc etc but that's what I think the post-match reaction should have been. What his comments have done is bring the club into sharper focus, put the players under more focus / pressure - basically made a rod for his own back.

2) Will he stay or will he go now?!?! The continued speculation of us being linked with another manager while we have Tim trying to do a job for us is not helping. This is a Levy problem - LVG keeps saying he might be interested / he might come after the world cup. FdB has come out and said he'd be interested now, Prandelli's been linked, Hoddle keeps needling - it's understandable if its all to much for Tim. Levy had no choice when he took Tim on, there really was no-one more experienced available that Levy liked the look of. yes we can argue the merits of 'he who must not be named' staying and given the chance to put right the many wrongs, but that's for another thread. Tim did what best he could for himself and wangled an 18 month contract - surprised a lot of people. I really think Levy gonad*ed that one up - Tim should only have been given until the end of the season, if Levy's intention all along was to wait for someone else. Yes a short term contract probably wouldn't have changed the results we've had, but instead we've ended up with constant speculation. And I do think that speculation is having an effect on the players, whether we like it or not, it's definitely undermining Tim's position, as who knows he might not be hear after the summer so why should I be bothered to listen to him? Some players are already agitating for a move to CL club and that is just not something we'll be offering next year. So Tim is again hamstrung by that. Add to that the long injury list, especially in defence and it's no wonder we're struggling for consistency when we cannot consistently get out our best players.

Tim is not completely blameless in all this, as he can still influence the style of play, which for the most part has been more expansive at the expense of being defensively solid, almost the complete opposite to the previous incarnation this season when we were dour but solid (albeit riding our luck on many occassions).

Rodgers system of tiki taka is played regardless of personnel, whereas Tim's systems / style seems to chop and change based on who is available to play, and who we are playing. I'm going to have to go back to what Harry did for us - put round pegs in round holes and let them play. Saturdays formation was ballsy for a new manager and for 50 odd minutes we did smother them, and maybe we did only come there for the draw, but if he'd gone there too open playing 2 up front we would have got mullered anyway. I'd have preferred to see Kyle start at RB and Lennon in front of him, with someone like Pauli playing off Ade, but that's hindsight for you it's a wonderful thing. Tim is not the first and won't be the last Spurs manager to leave stamford bridge with nothing.

So where now Tim - this week will definitely be era defining for him, regardless of what happened on Saturday past. But don't expect it to be easy with Daws injured and Kaboom possibly suspended we are running short of players to play in defence, so could be in for a few more drubblings before the week is out. i'm hoping the players respond positively to all the criticism, but would not be surprised if they didn't.

chairman's backing = ouch
its just Levy pi$$ing his pants that Sherwood might jack it in now before the season ends, disillusioned by the lack of fight from the players and no prospect of anyway lasting in the job beyond the end of the season. Levy has to keep TS sweet or he may be left with no 1st team coach with only 2 months of the season left ............saying that, there is always this guy that could come to the rescue.
three.gif

I totally disagree. LVG likes working with young submissive blank canvass players, who he can mould. It's superstars that he doesn't seem to have time for. He'd love our squad. They have all the quality, they just need organising and motivating.

Maybe so, I just feel LVG's discipline and strictness would come as a huge culture shock after years of managers trying to be their pals.

Maybe so, I just feel LVG's discipline and strictness would come as a huge culture shock after years of managers trying to be their pals.

Other than Dawson and Lennon, none of our players have been here years. More than 3/5 of our squad were brought in in the last 18 months.

They've all played under more disciplined and technical managers before (as all have been schooled in either Europe or South America).

Dembele is probably our most casual/languid player, and he's already thrived under LVG (at AZ).

It's a funny one this one - i've read through reams and teams of posts, read some very good points being made on both sides of the argument, and so wanted to add my two penneth worth. this is the Tim Sherwood thread so I will focus my comments on that:

Tim's post-match reaction / comments - seem to be two very different streams of thought on this one. On the one hand says he did the right thing calling out some players who didn't have the right character, because let's face it, it's what we the fans have been seeing for quite some time now.

On the other hand, his post-match reaction is seen as naive, that of an inexperienced manager who has let his emotions get the better of him and said a few things about 'nameless' players, which may or may not come back to bite him.

Its not as if Fergie hasn't gone on a rant like that on TV and said things very similar to Tim.

Think about it you get balled out at work by a new young boss who hasn't been doing the job for long or you get balled out by a guy who has been around the block and has your respect, then who are you most likely to listen to / pay regard to. More times than not its the more experienced guy than the young guy, even if the message is the same. This is not me having a go at Tim specifically, its me pointing out human nature.

Depends who the young boss is, if I'm a young pro and someone who's been at the club 6 years, won a PL title and played for his country balled me out I might listen to him, possibly more so that if it were an experienced manager like Fat Sam or Alan Pardew. But yes human nature is not to take it from anyone. I guess the only way we'll know how effective this was is come matchday Thursday, I'm guessing it'll have no effect at all.

its just Levy pi$$ing his pants that Sherwood might jack it in now before the season ends, disillusioned by the lack of fight from the players and no prospect of anyway lasting in the job beyond the end of the season. Levy has to keep TS sweet or he may be left with no 1st team coach with only 2 months of the season left ............saying that, there is always this guy that could come to the rescue.
three.gif

There is no chance in hell that Deadwood would jack it in and walk away.

This is his one shot at the big time. He had a chance to go to Blackburn and learn the trade lower down and out of the spot light and obviously thought he was too good for that. This is **** or bust for Tim now.

Back