• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

What has he said against us in the past? I know that him and Hoddle didn't see eye to eye but he seems to have gone out of him way to play this down for ages. What am I missing?

Pretty sure he was as damning about the club along with his mate Jamie Redknapp in then press and on TV during Ramos' 2 points from 8 games period. Of course, as soon as Redknapp took over both stopped the constant sniping that they were doing in the press (one due to now being employed by the club through Redknapp, the other through family ties...)

Pretty sure he was as damning about the club along with his mate Jamie Redknapp in then press and on TV during Ramos' 2 points from 8 games period. Of course, as soon as Redknapp took over both stopped the constant sniping that they were doing in the press (one due to now being employed by the club through Redknapp, the other through family ties...)

Pretty much this. There was a while when he was the anti-Spurs rent-a-quote. If the press ever needed someone to tell us all how entirely ****e our club is, he was the man.

I meant to post the following link earlier today. It's from a fantastic site and gives very good reason why we can't judge Timmeh on results this early:

http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/01/sack-race-managers-relegation-premier-league/

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk

I think those stats are better coz Sherwood put Ade back in the team and we are playing in a way that means we create more chances inside the box, so we score more goals. So whilst he may have been lucky to get such good stat numbers, his team selection does play a part.

I'd like Klinsmann - I'd be happy with that. I hadn't really considered him due to how he always seems to be saying how happy he is where he is.

Bielsa would have been my choice. I think he's gettable if we throw enough money his way but I think he's probably off Levy's radar.

LvG is my second choice assuming Utd don't go for him in the summer. I think the clashes you want to avoid are required for us to reach our goals (assuming our goals are more than a CL appearance every few years when we're lucky enough for one of the top 4 to **** up).

Interesting take on LvG…I appreciate that without struggle there usually is no reward, I just think it would end in tears, and unless Levy kept Baldini/the squad generally intact, we'd lose an enormous amount of ground. In all honestly I don't know enough about Bielsa; he isn't off Levy's radar, of that I'd be pretty sure (Levy was onto AVB the season before Chelski got him, and had Harry become England manager, Levy's masterplan was to announce AVB, who by his reckoning was going to stay at Porto one more year - of course we all know how that one ended) but I personally don't know enough about him, so will research out of interest. Klinsmann has 'reportedly' made it known to some who have the ears of others at the club that there is a release clause in his contract after the world cup has ended.

I see your point that upgrading, whenever possible, is a good thing, but sometimes one man's upgrade is another man's lateral (or worse) move. For example, let's say you got married, were happily married for a few years and suddenly Giselle tracks you down and insists that you'd be far better off with her at your side. If you turned her down, and stuck with the missus who might not quite have 6ft Amazonian legs and kegal muscles to make you scream with unbridled joy (ahem, sorry - carried away there!) but who understood what made you tick (albeit with less glamour) would that be 'not upgrading' or 'having a great grasp of what works best for you to achieve everything you can from the situation'? It's important that we know the difference IMO…but yes, too early to judge Timbo's kegal muscles!!!!!!!! :eek:

I think those stats are better coz Sherwood put Ade back in the team and we are playing in a way that means we create more chances inside the box, so we score more goals. So whilst he may have been lucky to get such good stat numbers, his team selection does play a part.

That's not how PDO works. PDO is the best measure we have for separating 'luck' from everything else. It's not always perfect but we should expect all teams to regress to a mean of 100 or 1000 depending on the measurement method.

it shouldn't be forgotten that the one decent side we have faced under TS comfortably beat us, the city game will teach us a lot more

it shouldn't be forgotten that the one decent side we have faced under TS comfortably beat us, the city game will teach us a lot more

Bit harsh to describe Swansea, Southampton and Manchester United as not even decent?

And also a tad harsh to describe top of the league Arsenal as decent. They beat us, arguably comfortably, but with the injuries we had I don't think anyone can or should hold that against Sherwood.

Bit harsh to describe Swansea, Southampton and Manchester United as not even decent?

And also a tad harsh to describe top of the league Arsenal as decent. They beat us, arguably comfortably, but with the injuries we had I don't think anyone can or should hold that against Sherwood.

Exactly, they hardly hammered us and we were hampered by injuries. The annoying thing is whenever we have several injuries its never really talked about because its not that noticeable as we have a big squad....

Interesting take on LvG…I appreciate that without struggle there usually is no reward, I just think it would end in tears, and unless Levy kept Baldini/the squad generally intact, we'd lose an enormous amount of ground. In all honestly I don't know enough about Bielsa; he isn't off Levy's radar, of that I'd be pretty sure (Levy was onto AVB the season before Chelski got him, and had Harry become England manager, Levy's masterplan was to announce AVB, who by his reckoning was going to stay at Porto one more year - of course we all know how that one ended) but I personally don't know enough about him, so will research out of interest. Klinsmann has 'reportedly' made it known to some who have the ears of others at the club that there is a release clause in his contract after the world cup has ended.

I see your point that upgrading, whenever possible, is a good thing, but sometimes one man's upgrade is another man's lateral (or worse) move. For example, let's say you got married, were happily married for a few years and suddenly Giselle tracks you down and insists that you'd be far better off with her at your side. If you turned her down, and stuck with the missus who might not quite have 6ft Amazonian legs and kegal muscles to make you scream with unbridled joy (ahem, sorry - carried away there!) but who understood what made you tick (albeit with less glamour) would that be 'not upgrading' or 'having a great grasp of what works best for you to achieve everything you can from the situation'? It's important that we know the difference IMO…but yes, too early to judge Timbo's kegal muscles!!!!!!!! :eek:

I don't think that would be a problem.

LVG has always worked with DoFs and has even been a DoF himself at one time.

He's also much more interested in coaching and organic growth than wanting to buy himself honours.

He is ruthless with players he doesn't get on with, but I think AVB has cleared out 95% of those this is likely to happen with, and our squad is incredibly ripe and fertile for his vision and leadership.

Swansea are **** and Southampton are having a serious dip in form. Against ManU I made the OMT :-"

Sherwood's had a chance to work almost uninterrupted with the squad for while now and the next five games should tell us a bit more about where were heading.

Emirates Marketing Project (H)
Hull (A)
Everton (H)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A)
Dnipro (A)

That's not how PDO works. PDO is the best measure we have for separating 'luck' from everything else. It's not always perfect but we should expect all teams to regress to a mean of 100 or 1000 depending on the measurement method.

It works in NHL, where rosters are much more similar strength, and the goals scored as a percentage of shots taken is minimal.

In football the better teams pay for better players, and arguably therefore should be creating better chances, and therefore scoring more goals as a % of shots taken and therefore increasing their PDO. That is what we are seeing with us, we are creating much better chances and is the main reason our PDO has increased significantly. To suggest the reason we have scored only 15 goals in 16 matches under AVB,and 14 in 6, and also conceding fewer under Sherwood is down to pure luck, is just ridiculous. The chances we are creating now are mainly from within the 18 yard box, rather than just pee-rollers from 30 yards, you will always score more as a percentage from there. I repeat to suggest it is just luck that our PDO has increased is ridiculous.

PDO is a load of ********, take a gazillion shots from 40 yards out and we're the best team in the league.

Swansea are **** and Southampton are having a serious dip in form. Against ManU I made the OMT :-"

Sherwood's had a chance to work almost uninterrupted with the squad for while now and the next five games should tell us a bit more about where were heading.

Emirates Marketing Project (H)
Hull (A)
Everton (H)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A)
Dnipro (A)
and if he does well in those games it will be the next 5 fixtures after that which will really be the test.

Last edited:

It works in NHL, where rosters are much more similar strength, and the goals scored as a percentage of shots taken is minimal.

In football the better teams pay for better players, and arguably therefore should be creating better chances, and therefore scoring more goals as a % of shots taken and therefore increasing their PDO. That is what we are seeing with us, we are creating much better chances and is the main reason our PDO has increased significantly. To suggest the reason we have scored only 15 goals in 16 matches under AVB,and 14 in 6, and also conceding fewer under Sherwood is down to pure luck, is just ridiculous. The chances we are creating now are mainly from within the 18 yard box, rather than just pee-rollers from 30 yards, you will always score more as a percentage from there. I repeat to suggest it is just luck that our PDO has increased is ridiculous.

So how do you explain the regression of PDO to mean that still happens in football?

It really is. A dozen or so games into the season and they'd determined that we're the best team in the league because we have the most attempts at goal and allow the fewest. Is that supposed to tell the whole story? Why don't they add average distance of shot taken into their silly little formula? Any team can keep the ball, go nowhere and have a pop at goal from 30 yards. Is our conversion rate under Sherwood unsustainable? Probably, but what isn't unsustainable is that we'll average better than 15 goals in 16 games as we're actually getting the ball into higher % areas(i.e. the opponent's box), I'd thought it had become an unwritten rule under AVB that we weren't allowed to enter their area.

Back