• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Temporary Tim

Redknapp changed his mind on AVB sacking now his mate Sherwood is in the hotseat

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-redknapp-slams-andre-villas-boas-2946217
Speaking to Four-Four-Two, Redknapp said: "You can't blame the club, with the amount of money they've spent on players.

"Unfortunately [Villas-Boas] bought a lot of players in that haven't improved the team.

"Whether he bought them or the sporting director (Franco Baldini) did, who knows what goes on. They haven't improved the team enough. But they still have enough quality to finish in the top four."

Before sherwood it was http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...just-before-tottenham-sacked-him-9007943.html

Fair enough, might have just been my perception…hope you're both right chaps.

I think, as with Allardyce, your initial assessment that someone who knows how to work the politics of clubs and the ways of the media knows exactly what they are doing. As you say, he could answer a 'project' question a million different ways, and even if e isn't specifically targeting AVB, he is including him within a group of managers at the very least.

He had a dig, and he's on a mission to say 'look at me everyone! I'm not AVB!'

He may well do well, but ironically he is going to have to be progressive and modern to do it. He's painting himself out as the second coming of Harry, that football is a simple game, that he's the real mans man. But when he comes up against Pellegrini and Mourinho he is going to be have to using progressive ideas to beat them.

He actually seems to really advocate youth players, so he does back a 'project' in some way. Which just shows he is desperate to distance himself and made a pointed remark to do so.

Here's highlights of his press conference. Still trying to find the full thing

[video=youtube;xxitlzJl8YA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxitlzJl8YA[/video]

Longer section of the press conference

[video=youtube;40vLDA_tV_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vLDA_tV_s[/video]

Redknapp changed his mind on AVB sacking now his mate Sherwood is in the hotseat

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-redknapp-slams-andre-villas-boas-2946217
Speaking to Four-Four-Two, Redknapp said: "You can't blame the club, with the amount of money they've spent on players.

"Unfortunately [Villas-Boas] bought a lot of players in that haven't improved the team.

"Whether he bought them or the sporting director (Franco Baldini) did, who knows what goes on. They haven't improved the team enough. But they still have enough quality to finish in the top four."

Before sherwood it was http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...just-before-tottenham-sacked-him-9007943.html

Whaaaaat? Harry contradict himself in what he says? Whaaaaat!!! That's a real shocker.

I think some of you are being a bit quick to judge Sherwood. For one thing, he may only be a caretaker boss for a few games.

In the event he takes charge for the long-term, then let's see what kind of performances and results get produced. I wouldn't judge things from 1 cup game where he would have only had a couple of days with the players. If it turns out he's a rubbish manager, fine, lay into him and he'll get sacked anyway.

Until then, why not hold fire?

I think, as with Allardyce, your initial assessment that someone who knows how to work the politics of clubs and the ways of the media knows exactly what they are doing. As you say, he could answer a 'project' question a million different ways, and even if e isn't specifically targeting AVB, he is including him within a group of managers at the very least.

He had a dig, and he's on a mission to say 'look at me everyone! I'm not AVB!'

He may well do well, but ironically he is going to have to be progressive and modern to do it. He's painting himself out as the second coming of Harry, that football is a simple game, that he's the real mans man. But when he comes up against Pellegrini and Mourinho he is going to be have to using progressive ideas to beat them.

He actually seems to really advocate youth players, so he does back a 'project' in some way. Which just shows he is desperate to distance himself and made a pointed remark to do so.

I think that people are being a little over sensitive and are reading a bit too much into it. It was a quip.

Let's see how we are playing after a few games before jumping to "second coming of Redknapp" conclusions. We have a progressive approach to the youth set up which he is in charge of and evidently Baldini rates him. Hopefully the meat and two veg dross on Wednesday was a badly judged mistake (all managers make them) and we will start to approach games in a way fitting of a club with top four aspirations. If we don't, I will be one his most vocal critics.

For those who think temporary tim is going to have us playing 442 "get it up there" "run araaand a bit" "big man, little man" football:

From a couple of years back - http://www.thenational.ae/sport/foo...oll-growing-in-stature-at-spurs#ixzz2o2XLeKiu

Spurs‘ technical coordinator Tim Sherwood stated that he would like to see the youngster go to a passing team in the Championship.

“He could possibly go out of loan but only at the right club. You don’t see Chelsea sending out McEachran to anyone. If we were going to send Tom Carroll out anywhere it has to be a Championship club, and one who passes it, so that narrows it down to about two.”

This is the same Tom Carroll who FA coaches had not even heard of before making his mark in Europa League and domestic cup matches:

“They said ‘Tom who? That’s not right. They should be going out and watching games. But then you just have to look at the England Under 21s and see they have got three centre halves playing in midfield. They are powerful boys but you need a bit of both, a bit of a ballplayer. Carroll played against Stoke and they couldn’t lay a glove on him.”

Tom Carroll, the hugely-promising midfielder at Tottenham Hotspur, falls squarely into that bracket. He will pull the strings for Spurs against Shamrock Rovers in the Europa League tonight and even his coach, Tim Sherwood, acknowledges you could be forgiven for thinking the 19 year old "is the mascot" such is his stature.

"There is a perception you have to be a lump to get by but that's a myth," Sherwood said.

Sherwood represented England, lifted the Premier League title with Blackburn Rovers, played for Tottenham and is a respected pundit for Al Jazeera television. The Spurs' technical co-ordinator is not known for hyperbole or empty platitudes so you listen and you listen good when he says Carroll has the ability to hold his own in the same team as Xavi and Iniesta.

"He could play for them [Barcelona], no question," Sherwood said. "He's got the lot. He's technically good enough, sees a pass, can pop it [the ball] round the corner and only Jake Livermore [the 21-year-old midfielder] runs more than him in a game in the first team."

Sherwood, 42, was a midfielder of some repute during his playing career and has therefore taken Carroll under his wing and champions his cause with Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager.

"He's one of those who has needed a bit more time to develop physically," Sherwood said. "He could have got released and I'm sure there are lots of Tom Carrolls who have been released. He's never going to be giant but he will grow and hopefully not look like the mascot anymore."

Tim Henson, Carroll's sports teacher, oversaw the young midfielder's rise from a boy into a teenager at school. He remembers the day he first clapped on eyes on the 11 year old as he walked through the gates at Parmiter's School in Watford.

"He was so tiny when he turned up," Henson said. "I had reservations about putting him in the middle of [the] pitch as an under 16 as he would get kicked about but it's not held him back. He has such a low centre of gravity and such good feet. If he was a foot and a bit taller he would be in Spurs' first team now. He's the best I've ever taught."

Henson was fulsome in his praise of Spurs for persevering with Carroll. "There were many who always thought he was going to be too small, especially as football clubs seem to pick athletes above footballers, so good on Spurs for sticking with him," Henson said.

Carroll acknowledged he experienced that sinking feeling at the age of 14 when he suspected he was going to be released by Spurs.

"I kept getting bullied off the ball and I did start to wonder," Carroll said. "But it's not a problem now. Last season I started to go to the gym but then felt sluggish on the pitch so I stopped doing that. I feel strong and not in a rush to get to the gym or bulk up."

Sherwood seems to be a bit like Clever Brooking at the FA. No one knows what he does and he hasn't got any experience.

I think that people are being a little over sensitive and are reading a bit too much into it. It was a quip.

Let's see how we are playing after a few games before jumping to "second coming of Redknapp" conclusions. We have a progressive approach to the youth set up which he is in charge of and evidently Baldini rates him. Hopefully the meat and two veg dross on Wednesday was a badly judged mistake (all managers make them) and we will start to approach games in a way fitting of a club with top four aspirations. If we don't, I will be one his most vocal critics.

To be honest I quite like the cut of his jib in the press conferences and Baldini probably does rate him, so they will work well together. I just think he's a bit to keen to play the 'I'm not AVB' card and play up to everything that represents. I understand why he's doing it, I'm just still a bit sore from seeing my boy leave the club!

Let's see how his team gets on at Southampton. I'm just starting to think, if he gets it right, we might get something from the game.

If he fails, he is toast. If he succeeds and becomes the second Rednapp, but a younger version, we will all be very very happy.

i'm probably the only one that thinks that we did alright on wednesday all things considered

infact i thought we played pretty well for 2/3 s of the match

Yes, just got home and watched it in more detail...and I like what I see. The 'if you don't perform you're sacked' stuff is fine...gets the 'mans man' press onside. But I really really like the 'we have to decide on what kind of philosophy we want the club to have, and whether that is right for me' because he shows himself to be a smart operator. I bet he knows exactly what Levy wants, but because he is making himself out to be a person of high value, he is showing himself to be a good bet I think. People that 'get' that, do well in life I would say. I trust him more because of this kind of mindset that I have.

I think he's the right man for us going forward.

Yes, just got home and watched it in more detail...and I like what I see. The 'if you don't perform you're sacked' stuff is fine...gets the 'mans man' press onside. But I really really like the 'we have to decide on what kind of philosophy we want the club to have, and whether that is right for me' because he shows himself to be a smart operator. I bet he knows exactly what Levy wants, but because he is making himself out to be a person of high value, he is showing himself to be a good bet I think. People that 'get' that, do well in life I would say. I trust him more because of this kind of mindset that I have.

I think he's the right man for us going forward.

I don't, he'll get a pass from the media as interim, if he was given it even to end of season or further, they would tear him to shreads.

Problem with Spurs is we have all the negativity that comes with being an absolute top tier club (scrutiny, media interference, pressure, every move analyzed), without quite being a top tier club (being able to pay 200K wages, not in CL, etc.)

That's why the suggestion of Sherwood, or Hoddle, or Lambert are all quite off the mark. The reason the next manager needs a name is

- At least get some token of belief from media before they start their "agenda"
- To help the players believe, especially our top tier foreign players
- Also something to pacify the fans, I can see why Levy let AVB go, I could never see why he would let him go for someone who has never managed a club in the top tier of one of the major leagues.

Willing to see what he's got for a few weeks, it's not how I saw this season panning out, but none of us know if he's any good because he's a completely unknown quantity in management. The West Ham game if nothing else was more exciting, it was a bit "go out and ****in' run around a bit" but the guy had 2 days with players, lets see what the next games bring.

I definitely think the stories of him getting in to Levy's ear about AVB ring true though, he's really trying to be the anti-AVB.

He's foolish IMO.
He didn't have to make mention of the project, he could've just talked about the importance of winning. It was a cheap, arrogant dig to my ears. Hope I'm wrong. Would love to be. Hope this genius can maintain some semblance of performance from the squad this season.

Not to mention that if he really knew what the supporters want, as he claims, he would know that many think the AVB sacking was ludicrous and wouldn't be saying something as unnecessarily antagonistic as that at a time when he should be trying to unite everyone.

He also said in the one-on-one interviews that the jury was still out on the summer signings. Way to boost the confidence of struggling players, Timmy. To be fair, that's a play straight out of his mentor's handbook.

We've heard from various cheerleaders this week that Sherwood "knows football inside out". I'd advise him to start demonstrating that on and off the field to win over those doubters that see him as little more than a snidey prick who has weaselled his way into a position that he has no experience (nor even the required qualifications) to hold.

To be honest I quite like the cut of his jib in the press conferences and Baldini probably does rate him, so they will work well together. I just think he's a bit to keen to play the 'I'm not AVB' card and play up to everything that represents.

Great post.

I like him but...

Back