• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Temporary Tim

More he speaks the more I dislike him, he is Harry Redknapp minus the minimal success Harry had, he comes across slimy and not at all likeable.

Playing 442 was a way to try and appease the fans, we were never going to win playing that formation, was way too attacking.

More he speaks the more I dislike him, he is Harry Redknapp minus the minimal success Harry had, he comes across slimy and not at all likeable.

Playing 442 was a way to try and appease the fans, we were never going to win playing that formation, was way too attacking.

Maybe I'm rewriting history but were we not winning 1-0 before switching to 451? Having only one striker on the field allowed their CBs more time to hoof it up field.

Maybe I'm rewriting history but were we not winning 1-0 before switching to 451? Having only one striker on the field allowed their CBs more time to hoof it up field.

by that point our players were shagged, the damage had been done in my view, I am however mostly wrong.

442 Is a dead formation, there is a reason the bigger clubs tend not to play it.

I think that there were three issues that lead to the defeat on Wednesday. The players were knackered towards the end from going flat out from the off. Several of the players lacked match fitness because they were coming back from injury or haven't played. We only had one recognised CB available and no one who was comfortable with high balls. One of those issues is Tim's fault, two aren't.

Sherwood interview ahead of SCBC game, and he says something interesting I think about the WH game: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs-tv/interviews/sherwood-ready-for-southampton-test/

At 0'35":

On the negative side there was a lack of control in the later stages, we need to address that and play more progressively when we need to rest.

Isn't this different to AVB's philosophy? My understanding is that AVB saw the game as a series of explosive attacking spells punctuated by slower recovery periods, in which the team retained control, and rested, through high possession, but not necessarily by attacking.

I could be wrong, but Sherwood seems to be saying that when we need a rest, the best thing to do is attack. I'm not a tactics guy, but am I reading that right?

Also, I think Sherwood comes across very well here. He seems to have a bit of en edge to him and I definitely discern that x-factor good bosses need. I'm quietly optimistic that Harry is right and there's something to Sherwood.

I think that there were three issues that lead to the defeat on Wednesday. The players were knackered towards the end from going flat out from the off. Several of the players lacked match fitness because they were coming back from injury or haven't played. We only had one recognised CB available and no one who was comfortable with high balls. One of those issues is Tim's fault, two aren't.

A very sensible post.

Even the one issue that could be laid at Sherwoods door would have looked remarkably different if we had scored one or two goals in that period where we were wholly dominant. 2-0 at half time would have been a fair reflection IMO. He gambled ( not unreasonably in my view given our defensive limitations for this game). He lost.

Lets see what he does in the coming games before rushing to judgement.

I read that as need to slow the game down and retain possession when we need to rest.

Sherwood interview ahead of SCBC game, and he says something interesting I think about the WH game: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs-tv/interviews/sherwood-ready-for-southampton-test/

At 0'35":

Isn't this different to AVB's philosophy? My understanding is that AVB saw the game as a series of explosive attacking spells punctuated by slower recovery periods, in which the team retained control, and rested, through high possession, but not necessarily by attacking.

I could be wrong, but Sherwood seems to be saying that when we need a rest, the best thing to do is attack. I'm not a tactics guy, but am I reading that right?

Also, I think Sherwood comes across very well here. He seems to have a bit of en edge to him and I definitely discern that x-factor good bosses need. I'm quietly optimistic that Harry is right and there's something to Sherwood.

Seems to me that he is saying when we need a rest we rest on the ball by keeping possession and slowing the tempo down.

So Tim thought we should have slowed down the tempo and kept possession? Oh really? You'd think that these players would be able to do that with their eyes closed: after all isn't that what AVB has (over) drilled them into doing this season?
The fact that they didn't is almost certainly down to HIS instructions and HIS changes implemented since AVB's sacking.

To me, sounds more like somebody plucking what he believes to be suitable and likeable phrases and soundbites to cover his own ****-up(s)

by that point our players were shagged, the damage had been done in my view, I am however mostly wrong.

442 Is a dead formation, there is a reason the bigger clubs tend not to play it.

Funny how United won the PL last season with it. Rooney and Van P up front. Man C aren't exactly doing too shabby with Aguero and Negredo's, nor Liverpool with Suarez and Sturridge up top.

Funny how United won the PL last season with it. Rooney and Van P up front. Man C aren't exactly doing too shabby with Aguero and Negredo's, nor Liverpool with Suarez and Sturridge up top.

They're playing more of a 4-4-1-1 with Rooney / Aguero dropping deep into the advanced midfield like we used to do with VDV.

At 0'35":

Yeah he's talking about resting and not going flat out when we have the ball, I would say 'progressive' is working fluid patterns in order to retain possession, rather than a more direct 'get it in the mixer' or 'get it up there quickly' which may be more potent when chasing a goal. So it's establishing control, getting the full backs involved in maintaining possession, giving each other options all over to keep the ball.

I think he does come across well. He does have that x-factor. I'd be interested to know if he views rest as something only to be done when goals are scored, or if you can build them in more strategically in order to give attacking moments their biggest impact.

From his recent interviews, I quite like Sherwood. Hopefully, he can back that up with some good performances and results.

United didn't play predominantly 4-4-2 last season. Rooney (and other forwards) was frequently played in midfield, out wide or not at all which is why he had one of his regular hissy fits and said that hge wanted to leave.

A genuine question here. If two teams line up similarly but one team picks a player who is considered to be a forward as their No. 10 and the other picks an attacking midfielder, are they playing different formations?

Yeah he's talking about resting and not going flat out when we have the ball, I would say 'progressive' is working fluid patterns in order to retain possession, rather than a more direct 'get it in the mixer' or 'get it up there quickly' which may be more potent when chasing a goal. So it's establishing control, getting the full backs involved in maintaining possession, giving each other options all over to keep the ball.

I think he does come across well. He does have that x-factor. I'd be interested to know if he views rest as something only to be done when goals are scored, or if you can build them in more strategically in order to give attacking moments their biggest impact.

I think trying to build in this moments of optimum attacking if this is what avb was going for is a bit odd. What did he tell the players to only attack between the 15th and 23rd minute and the 33rd and 41st minute. Football is a game that has to be played on instinct also you have to react to what the other team are doing.

If and that is a big if that this is what avb was telling the team to do then no wonder they looked so **** scared to go forward or make a forward attacking pass in case they lost the ball and had to run at the wrong time to get it back.

Redknapp was not perfect and i was one that wanted him gone but we needed a cross between redknapp and avb not the full on avb experience next time because that just seems so rigid.

I really hope Sherwood gets the job just to **** off all the negative ****ers.

United didn't play predominantly 4-4-2 last season. Rooney (and other forwards) was frequently played in midfield, out wide or not at all which is why he had one of his regular hissy fits and said that hge wanted to leave.

A genuine question here. If two teams line up similarly but one team picks a player who is considered to be a forward as their No. 10 and the other picks an attacking midfielder, are they playing different formations?

See what your getting at here and i agree because i have been saying for years that at Chelsea Lampard was as good as a striker just not as advanced as the usual striker. What i think works best for us is when we have a "sheringham" type striker maybe ade can do this and soldado will be the finisher.

Because nothing could be as low as the last few games.

Ps - I meant 'May' prove etc... apologies.

Quite. We would regress to mean even under the stewardship of a drunken chimp.

That's not a comment on whether Sherwood's any good or not, we'd need a far larger sample size than that. Merely that we will almost certainly improve anyway.

From what NBD has been saying, I think he has a chance as long as he cuts out all this distancing himself from AVB nonsense.

That's exactly it. Rooney, Suarez and Aguero are given largely floating roles even though they are ostensibly forwards. If he is the Mk1 version, this is the role Ade would have for us alongside Soldado.

Back