• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Sherwood Out!

I find this thread an embarresment to read.
I for one enjoyed watching us play the Spurs way.
We haven't been this entertaining since Harry, lets be honest.
AVB was dull to watch, and 1-0 was as much as we could hope for.
Exactly what is people's problem with Tim Sherwood.
Let me remind that Pep Guardiola and Frank de Boer came form their clubs youth set up.
Would people not take any of these either ????
Sorry but I am amazed about this hethz against Tim Sherwood.
I put believe in him as Levy and Harry have done..

I find this thread an embarresment to read.
I for one enjoyed watching us play the Spurs way.
We haven't been this entertaining since Harry, lets be honest.
AVB was dull to watch, and 1-0 was as much as we could hope for.
Exactly what is people's problem with Tim Sherwood.
Let me remind that Pep Guardiola and Frank de Boer came form their clubs youth set up.
Would people not take any of these either ????
Sorry but I am amazed about this hethz against Tim Sherwood.
I put believe in him as Levy and Harry have done..

Levy also believed in Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB

The players apparently liked the fact that the crowd got behind them last night and were excited by the opening, and maybe one thing to say is that ultimately we as a club are not predisposed to patient football as long as we have the crowd that we do (maybe a reason why our away form is better - less anxiety) So our perfect manager is a Klopp rather than a Guardiola because we want to see a quick tempo.

Absolutley this....which is why I doubt FDB

most succesful team in prem era utd played this way with the ability to counter........tippy tap is for 2 or 3-0 up.....

so who is out there similar to Klopp cause aint a cat n hells chance he will come.

Yes all appointed from elsewhere,
I find it a statement of trust that this is from within, even though I know only temporary.
We ran out of steam because I have been playing sideways all season without any tempo, maybe a master plan from AVB but boring as hell and without end product.
Yesterday we lost because we had a defence who could not win a header.
Put in Dawson - Vertongen and Kaboul and no chances would have come from the long balls.

have to say I find the thread title a little uncomfortable.... any chance of changing it to Tiger tim or Go Tiimmy go??? (as in morale support go tim)

Out of Sherwood !

Let's see what he can do with a bit of time and more players to choose from. The wet spam coupe de ligue wasn't a great snapshot, very short on time for preparation and barely any recognisable CBs, yet we went ahead first. Ade could be very valuable in playing the attacking game as he can hold up the ball and bring others in, as well as drag defenders away to create space for others.

I really think 'negative' tactics is a bit of a myth that needs to be taken care of.

For one, the squad hadn't settled or gelled yet, and most new players were attackers which need time to find good combinations. For another, we have always been happy to commit players forward in certain times in games. It's no more negative to tire the opposition out and attack later than it is to attack first and worry about tiredness later on. But I'd say one is more intelligent, more strategic, and espouses some of the traits we would need to develop in order to over perform to meet our ludicrous objectives, and the other represents the traits that have consigned our club to 'glorious failure' for longer than I care to remember.

I am fed up with it. I am bitter. I thought we were getting somewhere. I thought the club from owner down to player was buying into something in order to meet long term objectives. AVB will get another big job and he will be fine, and in a few years we will be wondering what the hell we were thinking letting him go.

The squad that immediately settles away from home but needs all the time in the world to 'settle' at home.

He won't get another big job imo (well maybe a team like Lazio but not big big). He's failed twice when given 'big' opportunities so it certainly won't be in this league anyway.

Levy also believed in Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB

4 of those 6 appointments weren't unreasonable when they were made, given circumstances.

Hoddle was the choice of many fans, had talent and should have worked. Jol, given he was already at the club and subsequently did well, was a solid appointment. Redknapp was a master-stroke at a perilous time. AVB was a gutsy, if ultimately unsuccessful, punt.

The other two, Ramos and Santini, were down to recommendations from DoF's (who were of course appointed by Levy, but still.)

Sherwood being in charge at this stage of the season is a total shambles!

We have so many games in such short times that getting training and strategies (not to mention condition and rotation for the busy) period would have been quite a job anyway, let alone for a novice like Sherwood managing a vast array of talents and personalities.

We really should have given AVB time, at least until when we knew who was available to replace him if we still intended to sack him. When Hodgson was fired Liverpool KNEW Kenny was available to take over from him there and then.

To all those haters who are too happy that AVB is gone to see the shambles we're in, we'll see what your thoughts are when one or both of the following happen:

- we get tonked by Southampton via their pressing game and manager's tactical owning of Tim via attention to detail and/or (more likely)
- we get absolutely tonked by Arsenal in the FA Cup, effectively ending our season

We are a Shambles!

4 of those 6 appointments weren't unreasonable when they were made, given circumstances.

Hoddle was the choice of many fans, had talent and should have worked. Jol, given he was already at the club and subsequently did well, was a solid appointment. Redknapp was a master-stroke at a perilous time. AVB was a gutsy, if ultimately unsuccessful, punt.

The other two, Ramos and Santini, were down to recommendations from DoF's (who were of course appointed by Levy, but still.)

Ramos was also the hottest property in Europe at the time and i don't remember hearing many fans that were fervently against the appointment, quite the opposite.

fans do tend to get these rose tinted glasses when it comes to chairmen - expecting them to have some kind of superpower in picking managers

Whatever Sherwood's strength and weaknesses are as a manager it will take more than one game to find out.

I'd also caution against reading too much into the formation, personnel and tactics yesterday. I hope that was mainly down to a lack of preparation time and keys players being injured or suspended.

The youth teams play good football, in an intelligent manner, hopefully this is more representative of what we can expect than the meat and two veg dross we got last night.

A very sensible post.

Well, ok, but I wonder about this question: Why didn't AVB go to Baldini with this season-long fitness plan of his, along with his charts and diagrams for how the 4-2-3-1 was going to start working over time, explain it all to Baldini and fight for his job?

Was he unable or unwilling to get the Spurs brass to understand that the whole thing was progressing broadly on track? Was Baldini incapable of looking beyond the end of his nose at AVB's system and seeing that it might not be working now, but had within it the seeds of success? Were Baldini and others at the club simply not technically literate enough to understand AVB?

I suspect the answer to these questions is that Baldini/Levy were fully aware of all this stuff and sacked him anyway. They must have decided it was all just more of the same pi$$ing into the wind that they we seeing on match days.

An excellent point. If AVB couldn't explain himself and his planning to his boss(es), why would he be able to be do so to joePublic. Or worse, was he able to explain it all to the players, who then fully bought in to it and totally executed his instructions?

Regarding results, his way of playing was largely counter attacking. This is fine away from home, when the home team attacks you, but is largely ineffective when teams don't come out and remain in their defensive shape. That is why we struggled to get decent results at home and there was no realistic expectation that this was going to change anytime soon under AVB.

An excellent point. If AVB couldn't explain himself and his planning to his boss(es), why would he be able to be do so to joePublic. Or worse, was he able to explain it all to the players, who then fully bought in to it and totally executed his instructions?

Regarding results, his way of playing was largely counter attacking. This is fine away from home, when the home team attacks you, but is largely ineffective when teams don't come out and remain in their defensive shape. That is why we struggled to get decent results at home and there was no realistic expectation that this was going to change anytime soon under AVB.

I don't think his way of playing was counter attacking at all.

Back