• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Sherwood Out!

tickle my balls with a feather. I still can't fathom why they chose this time to sack AVB. Does anyone think we would have lost last night if he was here? I don't. With Rose back, the inverted wingers tactics would have made more sense.

I can see the morale of the squad dropping greatly now. A lot of the squad really liked the guy, bar Ade, who lets face it only turned up in 1 game against Chelsea in the last 18 months. A dark season is ahead of us

We'll never know, but seeing as AVB lost at home to West Ham already this season AND came extremely close to losing at home to Hull in this competition, I've got no reason to think we'd have just cruised it now that finally we've got a natural left-back. If that was such an important component of his system then he a) should have signed another one, b) shouldn't have loaned out Assou-Ekotto and c) should have given Fryers more games.

AVB had to go because he clearly hadn't got a clue what he was doing. The players loved him did they? Well they loved Jol too, didn't save him. Nor did it mean that a talented squad couldn't recover, haul ourselves out of the relegation battle and go on to beat Arsenal and Chelsea on the way to winning a trophy that season. AVB was meant to be their boss, not their friend. And he couldn't get the best out of them.

We'll never know, but seeing as AVB lost at home to West Ham already this season AND came extremely close to losing at home to Hull in this competition, I've got no reason to think we'd have just cruised it now that finally we've got a natural left-back. If that was such an important component of his system then he a) should have signed another one, b) shouldn't have loaned out Assou-Ekotto and c) should have given Fryers more games.

AVB had to go because he clearly hadn't got a clue what he was doing. The players loved him did they? Well they loved Jol too, didn't save him. Nor did it mean that a talented squad couldn't recover, haul ourselves out of the relegation battle and go on to beat Arsenal and Chelsea on the way to winning a trophy that season. AVB was meant to be their boss, not their friend. And he couldn't get the best out of them.

Agreed.

It's very easy to say "Soldad/Defoe would have scored that", "Dawson would have won that header", "Chiriches would have made that tackle", "Lloris would have saved that", "Friedel wouldn't have given away a penalty there" etc. And the same is true with managers.

Most likely we wouldn't have lost with AVB I think, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened. And with AVB results from this season are clearly saying that it could have happened.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ham-hotspur-tim-sherwood-west-ham-villas-boas

Tottenham Hotspur mixed up as Tim Sherwood puts it in the mixer
Spurs' approach against West Ham was unashamedly British and the polar opposite of André Villas-Boas's, but wholesale overhauls are hard enough in pre-season, never mind December
by David Hytner

For the first 10 minutes at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night, it was tempting to think that the home crowd had not had it so good in ages.

Knee-jerk nonsense, of course, but tempting. Against West Ham United in the Capital One Cup quarter-final, Tottenham Hotspur flew out of the blocks, they created chances and the stadium crackled with excitement. It was like old times.

This is Tottenham, though, and the rough inevitably comes with the smooth. Into the last 20 minutes and leading through Emmanuel Adebayor's redemption shot, they ran out of gas. They made errors on the ball and were suddenly vulnerable. West Ham punished them.

Tottenham still created three excellent opportunities but they could not take them and, for the second time this season, we were treated to the sight of Big Sam Allardyce smiling that big smile and revelling in a big West Ham win at the home of their hated rivals.

Allardyce could add Tim Sherwood, the Tottenham caretaker, to André Villas-Boas, who was sacked on Monday, on the list of those he has outmanoeuvred. "I thought they might have sat back and protected that [the 1-0] but they didn't," Allardyce said, almost shaking his head at Sherwood's folly. "They went for the second and we started exploiting the spaces that were left."

Sherwood is caught betwixt and between, and so are Tottenham. He had worked with the squad for all of one day but the team he sent out was startlingly different to that of Villas-Boas. This was revolution in 24 hours. There was an old-school 4-4-2, the kitchen sink at the outset and balls into the mixer from wide areas. Sherwood called it "a complete change of mind set". He said he had asked them "to go a bit more gung-ho, and up-and‑at‑them".

It was unashamedly British, the polar opposite of Villas-Boas's continental muck, with all of that patience probing and growing into games in a tactical sense. It was actually quite enjoyable, especially at the very start, and the players felt that the crowd responded. It was not better or worse, just different, although the result was not different and there were, of course, boos upon the full-time whistle.

Sherwood's problem is that wholesale overhauls are difficult enough in pre-season. In December, it is asking an awful lot, particularly from a 44-year-old who has never previously managed in the professional game.

Take the fitness issue, which Sherwood himself brought up. Villas-Boas planned every training session from the start of pre-season with scientific precision. From one to the next, they were designed to build up his squad and enable them to sustain football at his tempo over the season. Villas-Boas was confident that the work put in would bear fruit in the decisive months towards the end.

Sherwood wants different levels but how can he change things now, as the games come every three or four days and the training sessions are geared more to recovery and team shape?

Sherwood gave the clear impression after West Ham that he was operating on a day-to-day basis; that if the call from the chairman, Daniel Levy, on Monday morning to step up from the post of youth technical coordinator had been out of the blue, then a similar tap to step back down could come at any moment. It is impossible to paint this as the ideal backdrop to the era that Sherwood hopes to sculpt.

Tottenham want a big-name permanent appointment and they began to take soundings after the 6-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project on 24 November, when their faith in Villas-Boas had effectively died. But there is a difference between who they might want and who would be prepared to come in mid-season.

Guus Hiddink has said no and Frank de Boer, Ajax's brilliant coach, is focused on the pursuit of a fourth consecutive Eredivisie title. Guido Albers, De Boer's agent, said: "Through various channels, it has become clear to me that Spurs are interested. But the club has not approached Ajax so for us, there is not much to say about it. Frank focuses entirely on Ajax."

Mauricio Pochettino has his admirers in the Tottenham boardroom but he is immersed in his job at Southampton, from his exciting first-team to the academy sides that he watches regularly. His chairman, Nicola Cortese, has supported him in the transfer market and Pochettino has even been allowed to propagate the myth that he does not speak English to maintain a distance with the media.

Tottenham may be better off waiting until the summer but they do not want to. Nor will they consider this to be a season of transition. The target remains Champions League qualification. If they missed out and were still to need a manager, they would be less attractive to the elite.

Betwixt and between. Tottenham have a headache.

I read that and I shudder.
Sherwood is a tosser...yeah yeah, hope he does well, etc, but he's a tosser.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ham-hotspur-tim-sherwood-west-ham-villas-boas

Spurs' approach against West Ham was unashamedly British and the polar opposite of André Villas-Boas's, but wholesale overhauls are hard enough in pre-season, never mind December
by David Hytner

For the first 10 minutes at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night, it was tempting to think that the home crowd had not had it so good in ages.

Knee-jerk nonsense, of course, but tempting. Against West Ham United in the Capital One Cup quarter-final, Tottenham Hotspur flew out of the blocks, they created chances and the stadium crackled with excitement. It was like old times.

This is Tottenham, though, and the rough inevitably comes with the smooth. Into the last 20 minutes and leading through Emmanuel Adebayor's redemption shot, they ran out of gas. They made errors on the ball and were suddenly vulnerable. West Ham punished them.

Tottenham still created three excellent opportunities but they could not take them and, for the second time this season, we were treated to the sight of Big Sam Allardyce smiling that big smile and revelling in a big West Ham win at the home of their hated rivals.

Allardyce could add Tim Sherwood, the Tottenham caretaker, to André Villas-Boas, who was sacked on Monday, on the list of those he has outmanoeuvred. "I thought they might have sat back and protected that [the 1-0] but they didn't," Allardyce said, almost shaking his head at Sherwood's folly. "They went for the second and we started exploiting the spaces that were left."

Sherwood is caught betwixt and between, and so are Tottenham. He had worked with the squad for all of one day but the team he sent out was startlingly different to that of Villas-Boas. This was revolution in 24 hours. There was an old-school 4-4-2, the kitchen sink at the outset and balls into the mixer from wide areas. Sherwood called it "a complete change of mind set". He said he had asked them "to go a bit more gung-ho, and up-and‑at‑them".

It was unashamedly British, the polar opposite of Villas-Boas's continental muck, with all of that patience probing and growing into games in a tactical sense. It was actually quite enjoyable, especially at the very start, and the players felt that the crowd responded. It was not better or worse, just different, although the result was not different and there were, of course, boos upon the full-time whistle.

Sherwood's problem is that wholesale overhauls are difficult enough in pre-season. In December, it is asking an awful lot, particularly from a 44-year-old who has never previously managed in the professional game.

Take the fitness issue, which Sherwood himself brought up. Villas-Boas planned every training session from the start of pre-season with scientific precision. From one to the next, they were designed to build up his squad and enable them to sustain football at his tempo over the season. Villas-Boas was confident that the work put in would bear fruit in the decisive months towards the end.

Sherwood wants different levels but how can he change things now, as the games come every three or four days and the training sessions are geared more to recovery and team shape?

Sherwood gave the clear impression after West Ham that he was operating on a day-to-day basis; that if the call from the chairman, Daniel Levy, on Monday morning to step up from the post of youth technical coordinator had been out of the blue, then a similar tap to step back down could come at any moment. It is impossible to paint this as the ideal backdrop to the era that Sherwood hopes to sculpt.

Tottenham want a big-name permanent appointment and they began to take soundings after the 6-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project on 24 November, when their faith in Villas-Boas had effectively died. But there is a difference between who they might want and who would be prepared to come in mid-season.

Guus Hiddink has said no and Frank de Boer, Ajax's brilliant coach, is focused on the pursuit of a fourth consecutive Eredivisie title. Guido Albers, De Boer's agent, said: "Through various channels, it has become clear to me that Spurs are interested. But the club has not approached Ajax so for us, there is not much to say about it. Frank focuses entirely on Ajax."

Mauricio Pochettino has his admirers in the Tottenham boardroom but he is immersed in his job at Southampton, from his exciting first-team to the academy sides that he watches regularly. His chairman, Nicola Cortese, has supported him in the transfer market and Pochettino has even been allowed to propagate the myth that he does not speak English to maintain a distance with the media.

Tottenham may be better off waiting until the summer but they do not want to. Nor will they consider this to be a season of transition. The target remains Champions League qualification. If they missed out and were still to need a manager, they would be less attractive to the elite.

gg_ffffffffuuuuuu.jpg

It is an absolute joke that we have gone from a professional planning of training sessions and carefully structuring the players condition in order to be at optimum level towards the business end of the season to: 'I told them to get out there and get up an at them' and effectively playing a style the squad wasn't prepared for, during a busy period when there is not enough time for intense training because there has to be time dedicated towards recovery.

I am pretty livid.

I read that and I shudder.
Sherwood is a tosser...yeah yeah, hope he does well, etc, but he's a tosser.

I'm kind of pleased he's in the limelight now in someways. I'm not sure he'll be able to crawl back under his rock now his true nature is being put under proper scrutiny.

Last edited:

Some people really need to get over it and stop being so so bitter. AVB is gone, he's outta here, he's been Michael Jordan'd (ie slam dunked) out of the Lane due to negative tactics and poor results. It seems some peoples hatred of Sherwood (trust me..i don't like the guy myself one bit) is so strong that they would rather see us lose whilst he's in charge so they can say "oh AVB would have done this differently" or "Attacking all the time isn't always good" etc etc.

AVB and his dated tactics are not coming back here (or any big club most probably). He seems like a smart guy i give him that...but that doesn't always translate well on the pitch. Maybe 'run around a bit and kick the ball' work better for our players...anyway it's time to move on now.

AVB got wins. Wins gets you points.

Sure, I didnt like the way we played at times, but we got results and for me results matter. We saw a different approach to our play midweek, a more attacking side to our game, we lost. Sure, it's his first game in charge and the players may need time to get used to it but I can't see it helping us much.

I'm kind of pleased he's in the limelight now in someways. I'm not sure he'll be able to crawl back under his rock now his true nature is being put under proper scrutiny.

Indeed, all very well getting in the ear of the chairman and telling him how things should be done while he's sitting in the backseat, not so easy getting knocked out of the cup by a severely depleted shower of ****e from the East End.

I think we will win a few games with the very simple 'let's get at them, score a couple then rest with the ball' system that he seems to want, but I'm sceptical as to whether we will really over perform to the level we need to with Sherwood in charge. I don't think he is as professional, I don't think the players will enjoy his training as much and I don't think he is as capable of planning our sessions, fitness and strategy over a season to extract the absolute maximum. It seems the club view him as some sort of 'heir to Harry' but with more of an inclination to play the youth.

Sherwood could well prove my fears wrong and show himself to be a progressive and modern coach that is ahead of his time, but I don't think he will do to that extent and I don't think he will ever render the removal of AVB worthwhile.

Some people really need to get over it and stop being so so bitter. AVB is gone, he's outta here, he's been Michael Jordan'd (ie slam dunked) out of the Lane due to negative tactics and poor results. It seems some peoples hatred of Sherwood (trust me..i don't like the guy myself one bit) is so strong that they would rather see us lose whilst he's in charge so they can say "oh AVB would have done this differently" or "Attacking all the time isn't always good" etc etc.

AVB and his dated tactics are not coming back here (or any big club most probably). He seems like a smart guy i give him that...but that doesn't always translate well on the pitch. Maybe 'run around a bit and kick the ball' work better for our players...anyway it's time to move on now.

I really think 'negative' tactics is a bit of a myth that needs to be taken care of.

For one, the squad hadn't settled or gelled yet, and most new players were attackers which need time to find good combinations. For another, we have always been happy to commit players forward in certain times in games. It's no more negative to tire the opposition out and attack later than it is to attack first and worry about tiredness later on. But I'd say one is more intelligent, more strategic, and espouses some of the traits we would need to develop in order to over perform to meet our ludicrous objectives, and the other represents the traits that have consigned our club to 'glorious failure' for longer than I care to remember.

I am fed up with it. I am bitter. I thought we were getting somewhere. I thought the club from owner down to player was buying into something in order to meet long term objectives. AVB will get another big job and he will be fine, and in a few years we will be wondering what the hell we were thinking letting him go.

Indeed, all very well getting in the ear of the chairman and telling him how things should be done while he's sitting in the backseat, not so easy getting knocked out of the cup by a severely depleted shower of ****e from the East End.

I think we will win a few games with the very simple 'let's get at them, score a couple then rest with the ball' system that he seems to want, but I'm sceptical as to whether we will really over perform to the level we need to with Sherwood in charge. I don't think he is as professional, I don't think the players will enjoy his training as much and I don't think he is as capable of planning our sessions, fitness and strategy over a season to extract the absolute maximum. It seems the club view him as some sort of 'heir to Harry' but with more of an inclination to play the youth.

Sherwood could well prove my fears wrong and show himself to be a progressive and modern coach that is ahead of his time, but I don't think he will do to that extent and I don't think he will ever render the removal of AVB worthwhile.

Whatever Sherwood's strength and weaknesses are as a manager it will take more than one game to find out.

I'd also caution against reading too much into the formation, personnel and tactics yesterday. I hope that was mainly down to a lack of preparation time and keys players being injured or suspended.

The youth teams play good football, in an intelligent manner, hopefully this is more representative of what we can expect than the meat and two veg dross we got last night.

Whatever Sherwood's strength and weaknesses are as a manager it will take more than one game to find out.

I'd also caution against reading too much into the formation, personnel and tactics yesterday. I hope that was mainly down to a lack of preparation time and keys players being injured or suspended.

The youth teams play good football, in an intelligent manner, hopefully this is more representative of what we can expect than the meat and two veg dross we got last night.

I think last night was too much of an attempt from him to get everyone (crowd and board) onside - with the fact that he was different from AVB. As you say the youth teams play good stuff and hopefully Sherwood has the capability to bring that to senior players (has he done all the relevant badges btw)

Duncan Castles was kind of suggesting as much on Twitter today. In a way I am glad it backfired on him, because he should have been more professional and picked more suitable tactics aligned with the fitness of the squad - which he will have been well aware of.

The players apparently liked the fact that the crowd got behind them last night and were excited by the opening, and maybe one thing to say is that ultimately we as a club are not predisposed to patient football as long as we have the crowd that we do (maybe a reason why our away form is better - less anxiety) So our perfect manager is a Klopp rather than a Guardiola because we want to see a quick tempo. If Sherwood can deliver results that way then he has a chance. I just think to play this way and get points we are going to have to be very bloody good at it, and I don't know if it's a style that allows a club to overachieve because you are forfeiting a bit of control and the opportunity to be strategic with your exertions.

by David Hytner

Well, ok, but I wonder about this question: Why didn't AVB go to Baldini with this season-long fitness plan of his, along with his charts and diagrams for how the 4-2-3-1 was going to start working over time, explain it all to Baldini and fight for his job?

Was he unable or unwilling to get the Spurs brass to understand that the whole thing was progressing broadly on track? Was Baldini incapable of looking beyond the end of his nose at AVB's system and seeing that it might not be working now, but had within it the seeds of success? Were Baldini and others at the club simply not technically literate enough to understand AVB?

I suspect the answer to these questions is that Baldini/Levy were fully aware of all this stuff and sacked him anyway. They must have decided it was all just more of the same pi$$ing into the wind that they we seeing on match days.

It did feel like one of these fans who calls talksport regularly moaning about our style got to manage the side yesterday

Old news, but an interesting insight into Sherwoods mentality..

Hodgson: Rebel Sherwood got me the sack

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+Hodgson%3A+Rebel+Sherwood+got+me+the+sack.-a060221903

Hodgson believes Sherwood was furious when a proposed move to Tottenham fell through earlier in the season.

He feels the player then allowed his unhappiness to spread throughout the club, leading to massive discontent among the players...........

And with Sherwood again the subject of interest by Spurs, because of a contract dispute, Hodgson re-opened old wounds to slam the player's attitude during his final months at the club.

"One of the major factors in what happened was Sherwood's discontent at not being allowed to go to Tottenham," he speaking on Sky Sports' The Last Word with Jimmy Hill.

"Up until that time, Tim had done a very good job in captaining the team and was also very supportive to myself and the other players - he did a good job behind the scenes.

"He became very disenchanted with the club and everything around the place when he thought the proposed Tottenham move had fallen through.

"Being such an important character in the club, his discontent was able to spread to a lot of other players.

"These people did not have the strength of character, personality or experience to stand up against somebody who was finding fault with most things.

"I don't think anybody should come into a club and, for their own selfish reasons, start saying that certain players should stay or go."

Last edited:

Well, ok, but I wonder about this question: Why didn't AVB go to Baldini with this season-long fitness plan of his, along with his charts and diagrams for how the 4-2-3-1 was going to start working over time, explain it all to Baldini and fight for his job?

Was he unable or unwilling to get the Spurs brass to understand that the whole thing was progressing broadly on track? Was Baldini incapable of looking beyond the end of his nose at AVB's system and seeing that it might not be working now, but had within it the seeds of success? Were Baldini and others at the club simply not technically literate enough to understand AVB?

I suspect the answer to these questions is that Baldini/Levy were fully aware of all this stuff and sacked him anyway. They must have decided it was all just more of the same pi$$ing into the wind that they we seeing on match days.

Was it ****ing in the wind that got us record points last season?

I think AVB was sacked because he and the club were not aligned. The club wanted no net spend, to bring through youth players, to challenge for the title and at the very LEAST finish top 4. I think AVB was happy to look at young players but given the objectives he was set, probably reasoned that seasoned professionals was the best way to achieve them.

To me that's what has done it, and probably where the idea comes from that Levy was happy to see him go either this summer or next anyway. I think the club all understood his methods and his tactics, but it was probably his difficulty in demanding top level expensive players - and being called on it by Sherwood who said he agreed to play more youth - that made everyone realise that weren't suited to each other anymore. Levy is probably thinking that for the long term, Sherwood is the best bet to actually carry out the strategy that he implements from the top.

I'm still bitter though, I think in their respective realms AVB is better than Sherwood and is better than Levy, we should back the guy that is most unique and has the biggest upside IMO. It wasn't going to work once they realised there were too many differences of opinions though.

Back