• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Sherwood Thread

I don't understand where this pre-conceived notion that Sherwood is clueless comes from, surely none of us could really know either way? It's not like he's managed anyone in the past

Am I missing something?

its because people didnt like him as a player (completely irrelevant if you ask me) and because he's said a couple things in the past which are viewed as anti-Spurs (I forget what though). All a bit silly if you ask me - personally I think there is a more fundamental question....as you say, he hasnt managed anyone before - I dont like the idea of appointing someone into a key job who has never done that job before. To me its daft - I would rather someone who has proved that they can succeed in teh role, even if in a minor league

Too many preconcieved ideas based on assumptions and likes/dislikes of Sherwood on here for my liking.

the negativity was just the same when Redknapp was hired in 2008

**** sake - Sherwood b2b Ferdinand. Thats the dream team right there.

Know nothing about Ramsay - anyone?

I have been lucky enough to have spoken to two of them at reasonable length....

Sherwood: Very respected within the club. Has a good network of contacts within the game and (despite opinion to the contrary on this board) certainly knows his stuff when it comes to football. I think sometimes people think about how somebody played the game and assume that their view of how to set up a team or manage would reflect their playing ability. Whereas in reality a player that is less gifted technically will have to be more advanced tactically to make it in the game. Even that is rather harsh on Sherwood who was a very good player in his prime, captaining Blackburn Rovers to the Premiership title in 1995 despite Daglish having Jack Walker's open cheque book to go out and buy pretty much whoever he wanted.

Ramsey: Seen as a massive coaching talent. The young players he has been working with absolutely love him and the junior coaches at Spurs also love him and say they learn loads off of him. It will be interesting to see/hear about how his methods translate to the senior squad.

Ferdinand - I have only ever spoken to in passing so cannot truly comment (other than to say that he is a genuine, nice guy). I don't think that he was that heavily involved previously. I would imagine that he will be helping with day to day coaching duties now that Sousa etc have departed along with with AVB.

Something else worth noting in this thread is that our youth teams have played 4-3-3 since well before AVB. I was actually surprised that when Redknapp took over he didn't seek to change the formation and tactics of the youth/reserve teams to reflect what he wanted in the first team. It meant that promoting players to the first team became more difficult than it needed to be. One of the reasons why Arsenal (for instance) were always able to bring in their youngsters for the Carling Cup and still achieve decent results was because they knew exactly what their role would be.

I also find it interesting to read some reports on here that Freund and Sherwood don't get on. I say interesting because Freund's appointment at Spurs was Sherwood's doing. AVB had his own team of coaches and was pretty much forced to amalgamate Freund. Hence AVB's backroom team all also getting their marching orders yesterday but Freund staying.

To move away from our new trio and back to AVB. I think it was clear that he had a reasonbly clear philosophy over the way he wanted his teams to play. His problem was that he would stick with that view even when we didn't have the players available to implement that philosophy. For example no natural left back to get on the overlap and yet still persisting with inverted wingers. Or two centre halves with the turning circle of a large oil tanker and an entirely new back 4 playing the high line against a team with 3 pacy forwards!

AVB may have ideas and a clear philosophy and this is always a good thing, but not when they become the ONLY way, no matter what.... A truly good manager will adapt his team shape and tactics to the players he has at his disposal.

I also see lots of comments about AVB needing more time as he had 7 new players to accomodate. However we only really lost one first team player from last season (as well as Ekotto and Adebayor that AVB decided to sacrifice completely of his own choice). If fitting in 7 new players is too much then DON'T!.... Put in just one or two new players in the league and introduce the others gradually via the UEFA/Carling Cup and then gradually accomodate them with sub appearances in the league.

fantastic post Finney, thanks for the info

I have been lucky enough to have spoken to two of them at reasonable length....

Sherwood: Very respected within the club. Has a good network of contacts within the game and (despite opinion to the contrary on this board) certainly knows his stuff when it comes to football. I think sometimes people think about how somebody played the game and assume that their view of how to set up a team or manage would reflect their playing ability. Whereas in reality a player that is less gifted technically will have to be more advanced tactically to make it in the game. Even that is rather harsh on Sherwood who was a very good player in his prime, captaining Blackburn Rovers to the Premiership title in 1995 despite Daglish having Jack Walker's open cheque book to go out and buy pretty much whoever he wanted.

Ramsey: Seen as a massive coaching talent. The young players he has been working with absolutely love him and the junior coaches at Spurs also love him and say they learn loads off of him. It will be interesting to see/hear about how his methods translate to the senior squad.

Ferdinand - I have only ever spoken to in passing so cannot truly comment (other than to say that he is a genuine, nice guy). I don't think that he was that heavily involved previously. I would imagine that he will be helping with day to day coaching duties now that Sousa etc have departed along with with AVB.

Something else worth noting in this thread is that our youth teams have played 4-3-3 since well before AVB. I was actually surprised that when Redknapp took over he didn't seek to change the formation and tactics of the youth/reserve teams to reflect what he wanted in the first team. It meant that promoting players to the first team became more difficult than it needed to be. One of the reasons why Arsenal (for instance) were always able to bring in their youngsters for the Carling Cup and still achieve decent results was because they knew exactly what their role would be.

I also find it interesting to read some reports on here that Freund and Sherwood don't get on. I say interesting because Freund's appointment at Spurs was Sherwood's doing. AVB had his own team of coaches and was pretty much forced to amalgamate Freund. Hence AVB's backroom team all also getting their marching orders yesterday but Freund staying.

To move away from our new trio and back to AVB. I think it was clear that he had a reasonbly clear philosophy over the way he wanted his teams to play. His problem was that he would stick with that view even when we didn't have the players available to implement that philosophy. For example no natural left back to get on the overlap and yet still persisting with inverted wingers. Or two centre halves with the turning circle of a large oil tanker and an entirely new back 4 playing the high line against a team with 3 pacy forwards!

AVB may have ideas and a clear philosophy and this is always a good thing, but not when they become the ONLY way, no matter what.... A truly good manager will adapt his team shape and tactics to the players he has at his disposal.

I also see lots of comments about AVB needing more time as he had 7 new players to accomodate. However we only really lost one first team player from last season (as well as Ekotto and Adebayor that AVB decided to sacrifice completely of his own choice). If fitting in 7 new players is too much then DON'T!.... Put in just one or two new players in the league and introduce the others gradually via the UEFA/Carling Cup and then gradually accomodate them with sub appearances in the league.

An interesting read. Cheers

What do we know when the board doesn't have a clue?
Imagine what we could have been had avb gotten what he wanted in moutinho, conceicao fernandinho and damiao though.
We have a Dof in Baldini, but we still lack balance.
My guess is that the board plans more players in Jan ... And suspect that Baldini has a part to play in AVB's exit.

I can't believe some of the negative attitudes towards Sherwood, let's give him a chance. He is one of our own after all

I can't believe some of the negative attitudes towards Sherwood, let's give him a chance. He is one of our own after all

Is he? He played towards the end of his career for us. As much one of our own as Redknapp or Nouridene Naybet.

(Unless you mean he is a Spurs fan, in which case I retract my previous derision)

Much rather have Hoddle in charge than this ***. I swear if he has more than three games in charge......

In reality they are Levy's two choices. And I'd'd much rather Sherwood.
We need a someone who is a good man manager, who can lift the team and get the best out of them.

I've no idea if Sherwood is that but Hoddle is definitely not. Hoddle would destroy the dressing room.
Also his tactical ideas are stuck in the mid 90s. At least Sherwood is up to date.

We need a someone who is a good man manager, who can lift the team and get the best out of them.

I've no idea if Sherwood is that but Hoddle is definitely not. Hoddle would destroy the dressing room.
Also his tactical ideas are stuck in the mid 90s. At least Sherwood is up to date.

I'm all for giving the guy a chance, but this has no grounding. He hasn't managed before, so we have no knowledge of his preferred tactics or style of play. We go into Wednesday night as a complete unknown as to how we will perform. Something rather worrying about that, but at the same time something rather exciting

The big reason why I would prefer Sherwood to Hoddle is that I just cant imagine Hoddle being a long-term appointment. He'll either p1ss some players off or spout some religious nonsense and we'll be looking for another new manager in 2 years time. There is a chance, difficult to predict how much of a chance, that Sherwood could be a longer-term appointment

Good post Finney, yes, indeed he does have a lot of respect within the club and has been quite a growing powerbroker for some time behind the scenes as I mentioned before…

I don't like what I've heard at all over the years BUT in the spirit of FULL SUPPORT for the 'manager' I will certainly give him mine starting Wednesday despite my trepidation…I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of him for the rest of the season...

[video=youtube;oT53EN71MP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT53EN71MP8[/video]

Our new glorious leader...

at least Sherwood is insisting that we start well and impose our attacking game from the first min, something AVB continually failed to do in his time....high tempo from the beginning gets the fans going too

Good post Finney, yes, indeed he does have a lot of respect within the club and has been quite a growing powerbroker for some time behind the scenes as I mentioned before…

I don't like what I've heard at all over the years BUT in the spirit of FULL SUPPORT for the 'manager' I will certainly give him mine starting Wednesday despite my trepidation…I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of him for the rest of the season...

I think that we will definitely be seeing him from now until the end of the season - unless we go into some sort of freefall of course! I would also argue that this is the right move as I don't believe that there is a decent long term appointment out there currently who would be likely to join us at this stage of the season in our current circumstances, whereas after the World Cup things will change massively. The last thing that we need right now is to be turned down by a number of 'worthy' managers or to make the wrong long term appointment because we've settled for somebody who is available.

Sherwood can take over from AVB with the advantage that he already knows the club, the players, the DoF and the agents/players that we're currently dealing/considering. He will also have had an influence into who we signed in the Summer so should really want to work with those players and prove the decisions right. Hopefully he can also fix the relationships with a couple of talented first teamers (Adebayor and Ekotto) currently out in the cold, move on from the often rather turgid, safety first football that we've been playing and also avoid some of the tactical disasters our previous coach seemed to be increasingly prone to.

Even Pardew is more of yid than Sherwood.

Sherwood has undermined at least two of our managers, constantly ****ged us off on as a pundit, was a ****e guttless player for us (watch Mark Hughes playing out of position own him in midfield in the league cup final) and has an Arsenal tattoo.

Back