• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I can remember very few managers not deflecting defeats in one way or another. How many managers get sacked and then hold their hold their hands up and say 'I deserved it'? There are always reasons why. AVB was no different on that front either. And he was also more than happy to take credit when it went well. There is really nothing unique here.

Really?? When did AVB take total credit for when we won and blame others for when we lost? Remember the spat with Neil Ashton??

I'd like anybody to find me anything from AVB that came close to the constant 'not-me-guv' spiel we hear from TS.

Nowhere near comparable imo

Fair play Tim deserves credit for the number of points hes won since taking over. And if we just judged him on that stat alone sure he probably deserves a shot next season in the epl. But anyone who thinks anyone in this league other than spurs would hire him to manage them after his overall performances this season is a fool in my opinion.

So lets scratch the surface:
1) ades return is probably the single biggest influence on our goal return and points gained since Ts took over. Yes he does deserve credit for bringing him back from the cold but lets be honest, since ades come back hes been brilliant because hes been motivated but also because hes s high quality player. But hes singularly failed to improve bobby's scoring record so Ts is no genius in that regard. If he was in charge of sunderland or cardiff or west brom would he have gained as many points without Ades influence - i doubt it. In fact had ade got injured or out for any lenght of time Ts would have struggled.

2) eriksen had been bloody brilliant in fits and spurts but hes been more influential in the second half of the year having had the benefit of getting used to the league. Does ts get the credit for Eriksen settling?

3) weve picked up points but not many games have we dominated and won comfortably. Yes i know you cant win every game comfortably and yes luck is a great thing to have, but TS's record could be so much different. Defensively weve been utterly shocking at times and uncohesive most of the time. Will that change next season? Maybe. Sure some of it must be due to the injuries weve had and not being able to put the same side out. But ts' preferred style will continue to put us under pressure defensively next season. So unless we continue to be lucky under ts next year ( and relying on luck is a mugs game) theres no guarantee ts will be able to garner as many points next season. His inability to organise the defence properly is not an attribute that is highly sort after by other PL clubs.

4) theres this misconception that seems to be floating around that pre-season will be some mystical perios where suddenly TS will turn in to some messianic type manager that will change his style of play and suddenly the players will improve as s team and yhen next season everything will be hunky dory. Wat a load of bs. We dropped out of the Europa ages ago, tims had plenty of time to get his ideas across to the team week in week out , and weve all seen the results in terms of team play ( and lack of solidity). Again i ask honestly which PL club would give TS s chance to manage there team next season?

Im not saying he hadn't got the potential to be a decent manager some where in a few years time after learning his trade properly. But no other PL team would let him run amok at their club like he has done here. Im not saying he doesnt deserve some plaudits for the work he has done, he does, but lets not get carried away here. He is not what our club needs in the short term or long trm. If no other PL team would hire him why the feck would we?

Fair play Tim deserves credit for the number of points hes won since taking over. And if we just judged him on that stat alone sure he probably deserves a shot next season in the epl. But anyone who thinks anyone in this league other than spurs would hire him to manage them after his overall performances this season is a fool in my opinion.

1) ades return is probably the single biggest influence on our goal return and points gained since Ts took over. Yes he does deserve credit for bringing him back from the cold but lets be honest, since ades come back hes been brilliant because hes been motivated but also because hes s high quality player. But hes singularly failed to improve bobby's scoring record so Ts is no genius in that regard. If he was in charge of sunderland or cardiff or west brom would he have gained as many points without Ades influence - i doubt it. In fact had ade got injured or out for any lenght of time Ts would have struggled.

2) eriksen had been bloody brilliant in fits and spurts but hes been more influential in the second half of the year having had the benefit of getting used to the league. Does ts get the credit for Eriksen settling?

3) weve picked up points but not many games have we dominated and won comfortably. Yes i know you cant win every game comfortably and yes luck is a great thing to have, but TS's record could be so much different. Defensively weve been utterly shocking at times and uncohesive most of the time. Will that change next season? Maybe. Sure some of it must be due to the injuries weve had and not being able to put the same side out. But ts' preferred style will continue to put us under pressure defensively next season. So unless we continue to be lucky under ts next year ( and relying on luck is a mugs game) theres no guarantee ts will be able to garner as many points next season. His inability to organise the defence properly is not an attribute that is highly sort after by other PL clubs.

4) theres this misconception that seems to be floating around that pre-season will be some mystical perios where suddenly TS will turn in to some messianic type manager that will change his style of play and suddenly the players will improve as s team and yhen next season everything will be hunky dory. Wat a load of bs. We dropped out of the Europa ages ago, tims had plenty of time to get his ideas across to the team week in week out , and weve all seen the results in terms of team play ( and lack of solidity). Again i ask honestly which PL club would give TS s chance to manage there team next season?

Im not saying he hadn't got the potential to be a decent manager some where in a few years time after learning his trade properly. But no other PL team would let him run amok at their club like he has done here. Im not saying he doesnt deserve some plaudits for the work he has done, he does, but lets not get carried away here. He is not what our club needs in the short term or long trm. If no other PL team would hire him why the feck would we?

Good points; especially the fact that TS has had time to build some team pattern of play and more solidity. In fact when we've had more time between games we've played worse:eek:

Re: Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

I honestly can't make up my mind about Tim. If you asked me a little while back i would have said get rid of him however I admire him for the fact that he is not afraid to give our academy players a chance in the first time (Bentaleb, Kane) so fair enough he's got balls so credit where its due. In the league he's surprised me with his record of nearly 2 points per game and we couldn't really have asked for much more. The football we play is more entertaining than it was under AVB. Defensively we look shaky but at least we look like scoring when we go forward and it's a bit more enjoyable now. His insistence on not playing a defensive midfielder in games against the top sides is bizarre and his persona and the way he comes across in interviews is very irritating but i would actually give the guy a chance next season. The players look like they want to play for him (except Sandro) and the overall impact he has had on the club has been more positive than negative. Eriksen and Adebayor have thrived under him and Kane and Bentaleb have gained valuable first team experience. I say give the guy a chance next season. It's a massive gamble but we have nothing to lose.

So your issue, if I'm following you, is with Levy and the board?

No.

While the points haul has been similar to the first half, the style - if you can call it that - smacks of inexperience. He does a good thing by taking Rose off and removing him from the pitch area but follows it up by not telling the players to kill the game. Stoke with 10 men looked way more dangerous than with 11.

The inexperience is obviously something he can't help but doesn't mean he should learn while in charge of a top 6 Premier League side. If he was willing to be an assistant to someone for a season or two, maybe there is a decent manager there but he seems to have burned those bridges.

No, adding some context to these stats that show Sherwood is the greatest manager of all time.

Not the greatest manager of all-time but pretty useful nevertheless...

P496_zps7bddc1c3.png

Not to mention comparing last season's Liverpool, City and Chelsea with this year. Even Arsenal are improved, if only marginally so.

Not to mention it appears that a significant part of the division are more cack this season than last season (bigger gap between top half and bottom half)

Really? then football must be a really simple game and avb must of been worse than having no coach because his results were worse.

If you ignore all the other relevant factors, yes.

No. I fear if he stays the likes of Lamela, Sandro, Holtby and Townsend will have little or no future at Spurs while the likes of Dawson, Rose and Naughton will remain an integral part of our hopeless back 4. I do not want a coach who because we can beat ordinary teams without a holding player will then feel that is the same strategy to use against the top 4 teams.

Not the greatest manager of all-time but pretty useful nevertheless...

P496_zps7bddc1c3.png

This simply proves we have the basis of a very good team. Against the likes of City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool he is still a tactical pigmy

This simply proves we have the basis of a very good team. Against the likes of City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool he is still a tactical pigmy

Spurs in a Champions League place if the season had started when Tim Sherwood was appointed, yet no credit whatsoever for any this is down to him?

Words fail me.

Spurs in a Champions League place if the season had started when Tim Sherwood was appointed, yet no credit whatsoever for any this is down to him?

Words fail me.

Do you honestly think the figures can just be extrapolated like that?

For someone so interested in stats that shows a worrying lack of understanding.

Words fail me.

I'm sorry, but did you watch the game against Stoke? We ended up with a midfield three of Siggy, Paulinho and Eriksen whilst attempting to hold a one goal advantage and being completely and utterly overrun.

It takes management of epically bad proportions to allow the state of the game to come to that dire situation against a 10 man Stoke. We had TWO midfielders on the bench (arguably three) who would have been perfect to stabilise the situation.

We did absolutely EVERYTHING wrong against 10 men, everything, and that is 100% a product of appalling management.

Your reading of the stats in this instance is bordering on farcical I'm afraid. If you think Chadli and Paulinho in a midfield two is best we can manage with our resources, if you think Sherwood has represented the club in a good, professional manner so far, if you like managers who opt to sit in the stands (when for everyone else its actually a punishment) then words fail me.

I'm sorry, but did you watch the game against Stoke? We ended up with a midfield three of Siggy, Paulinho and Eriksen whilst attempting to hold a one goal advantage and being completely and utterly overrun.

It takes management of epically bad proportions to allow the state of the game to come to that dire situation against a 10 man Stoke. We had TWO midfielders on the bench (arguably three) who would have been perfect to stabilise the situation.

We did absolutely EVERYTHING wrong against 10 men, everything, and that is 100% a product of appalling management.

Your reading of the stats in this instance is bordering on farcical I'm afraid. If you think Chadli and Paulinho in a midfield two is best we can manage with our resources, if you think Sherwood has represented the club in a good, professional manner so far, if you like managers who opt to sit in the stands (when for everyone else its actually a punishment) then words fail me.

You do realise that we actually WON yesterday, don't you?

You do realise that we actually WON yesterday, don't you?

I do. Shows how weak the opposition were. We had the incorrect starting line up, played badly, made the wrong subs and got dominated by 10 men - ending up with a midfield made up of three soft players trying halt a landslide.

That was by no means a satisfying 'performance' and we won despite Sherwood's best efforts, not because of them.

Back