• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Three In And Three Out, Who Will It Be?

I agree with your overall point that we need players that are an absolute perfect fit (or at least a very good fit), quality not quantity. Someone more experienced in central midfield who is also very good on the ball. Schneiderlin, Cabaye (or arguably Carrick) could be vital. But bringing in someone that's not quite good enough could hurt the development of those younger players and I would rather just see us be patient with Masonleb.

Other positions someone to "fill the gap" might be more apt. Like many here I think replacing Adebayor might be a good idea. We don't necessarily have to replace him with a "perfect fit" player at this point in time, an option to Soldado and Kane could be valuable even if more of a squad player. Perhaps someone versatile like Jay Rodgriguez,

I think a big theme for this window and the next will be cutting numbers.

We will need to add a CB (Moreno), CM (Schneiderlin or Cabaye) and forward (Rodriguez), but we'd also be clearing out 6-8 players (Kaboul and Chiriches from CB; Capoue, Dembele and Paulinho from CM; Ade and maybe one of Townsend or Lennon from the forwards).

If we move towards a tighter 22 man squad which includes (rather than excludes) the academy graduates, that's giving them a clearer run to the first team and more game time when they get there.

So Mason and Bentaleb would become 2 of our 4 CMs for 2 positions, whereas now they are 2 of our 6.

Re Veljkovic, he's more the cultured type isn't he, so perhaps he's more being lined up as Verts' medium term replacement? I also read he's been becoming more of a CM than a CB?

Other way round I thought. Played a lot as a DM but he's being pushed as a CB now, that's where he plays for Serbia(u21s) and where Poch used him in pre season, his time as a DM will mean he's comfortable on the ball though which is important for us at every position. He can still do both but from what I can tell, long term he's seen as a CB. I think he's a big talent, only recently turned 19 but plays ice cold, it's annoying that Boro have so far refused to use him.

We will need to add a CB (Moreno), CM (Schneiderlin or Cabaye) and forward (Rodriguez), but we'd also be clearing out 6-8 players (Kaboul and Chiriches from CB; Capoue, Dembele and Paulinho from CM; Ade and maybe one of Townsend or Lennon from the forwards).

If we move towards a tighter 22 man squad which includes (rather than excludes) the academy graduates, that's giving them a clearer run to the first team and more game time when they get there.

So Mason and Bentaleb would become 2 of our 4 CMs for 2 positions, whereas now they are 2 of our 6.

I think you're right. The emergence of Mason and Bentaleb has left us a little bloated in midfield. And Poch seems to want to promote young players so cutting the squad a bit makes sense.

Do you think Rodriguez, Soldado and Kane would be adequate for our striker position?

I think you're right. The emergence of Mason and Bentaleb has left us a little bloated in midfield. And Poch seems to want to promote young players so cutting the squad a bit makes sense.

Do you think Rodriguez, Soldado and Kane would be adequate for our striker position?

Yes. To me that's a good combination with the complete range of attributes. I think either one can play as a lone striker, and any pairing would have the makings of a good partnership.

What I'd be looking at though is, do we have the next Kane coming through the production line? Are one of Coulthirst, Oduwa or Miller likely to be able to step up, or do we need to send Baldini off to recruit a 17 or 18 year old wonderkid from somewhere.

Yes. To me that's a good combination with the complete range of attributes. I think either one can play as a lone striker, and any pairing would have the makings of a good partnership.

What I'd be looking at though is, do we have the next Kane coming through the production line? Are one of Coulthirst, Oduwa or Miller likely to be able to step up, or do we need to send Baldini off to recruit a 17 or 18 year old wonderkid from somewhere.

Plus all three of those forwards could play as one of the three behind the main striker (I believe Soldado has the intelligence to do this)....

Agreed. I think Pochettino has always viewed the first season as squad-building (with Levy's blessing obviously). Hence all the chopping and changing of personnel so far. I don't think he's been "searching for his best team" as much as he's been "identifying the players who can't or won't buy into his philosophy". I wouldn't be surprised to see a handful out the door in January (with fewer incomings). I think we'll see a much more settled team in the second half of the season as a result.

I agree with your overall point that we need players that are an absolute perfect fit (or at least a very good fit), quality not quantity. Someone more experienced in central midfield who is also very good on the ball. Schneiderlin, Cabaye (or arguably Carrick) could be vital. But bringing in someone that's not quite good enough could hurt the development of those younger players and I would rather just see us be patient with Masonleb.

But those players cost money, braine. Money we don't seem to be willing to pay in the absence of a sale that provides us the funds to do so, and in some cases not even then.

Well, apart from Carrick I suppose. Though (as in the case of Cabaye) his wages would likely give Levy some serious heartburn, so not sure if he's realistic either.

We're being linked with Adrien Rabiot on that other thread: 19 year old DM who's out of contract in the summer. Take that for wanting 'experienced players good on the ball'! :p

We're being linked with Adrien Rabiot on that other thread: 19 year old DM who's out of contract in the summer. Take that for wanting 'experienced players good on the ball'! :p

His contract is until 2019 now so looks like we'd have to stump up some cash there too.

But those players cost money, braine. Money we don't seem to be willing to pay in the absence of a sale that provides us the funds to do so, and in some cases not even then.

Well, apart from Carrick I suppose. Though (as in the case of Cabaye) his wages would likely give Levy some serious heartburn, so not sure if he's realistic either.

When have we sold and not spent the money?

We have players that we can sell if we find buyers.

He signed a new one?!? After all the noise he made in the summer?

Yeah

Rabiot.jpg

Wow. Not sure what to make of that: did they just offer him enough to keep him quiet, or is it a 'let the club get a fee', gentleman's agreement sort of thing?

Edit: Actually, don't answer. You're at 8,888 posts. Enjoy the symmetry. :p

I think we will listen to offers for the following players

Rose
Naughton
Kaboul
Capoue
Dembele
Paulinho
Soldado
Adebayor

If any of the above go then they will be replaced with a simalar position player.

Incoming wants, just two.

Schneiderlin and Rodriguez - If in order to sign these two that we have to lose Townsend then thats fine with me.

I would like as many replacements to come from the Premiership and have an eye on players in the England U-21 ranks.

Starting with scouting Danny Ings from Burnley.

Personally I just want players out that don't suit/work with apache and ones in that do.

I'd like a 2 for 1 situation where 2 leave for everyone joining

I'd take anyone who is more suited and ideally better than what we have.... I don't want anymore players signing to fill the squad up (which it looks like Stambouli may have been so far)

In: Moreno, Rabiot or Cabaye), Rodriguez
Out: Kaboul, Capoue, Adebayor

Similar to mine..

I wonder how hard it will be to shift players in January? I can see a lot of players turning down moves and waiting for better options in the Summer. If we can get rid of just a small number that Poch wants out it will be an achievement.

Similar to mine..

I wonder how hard it will be to shift players in January? I can see a lot of players turning down moves and waiting for better options in the Summer. If we can get rid of just a small number that Poch wants out it will be an achievement.

I think Poch will be harder than previous soft touches or managers who weren't averse to just accumulating players. Remember he convinced Dawson and Sandro to move on in the summer, neither of whom wanted to leave.

He already seems to have completely separated the 3 with attitude issues from the squad. Players like Paulinho, Chiriches and Dembele who are struggling to make the grade/with the new style, seem more honest pros who will probably just want to be playing.

There's also BAE spending his days mooching around hairdressers as a cautionary tale. We've already got 19 O/S players (and are allowed 17). With O/S incomings (Moreno and Rabiot rumoured), there's a genuine threat that some of these senior players who don't move won't make the squad cut.

Paulinho is the one that January is the preferable time to move on, as Brazil is 6 months out of kilter with Europe, so this is their close season now.

We MUST, MUST look to rebalance the squad with players who have proven PL experience.

This is where Harry was good for us as he recognised the likes of Friedel, Parker, Palacios, Crouch whilst not the most technically gifted players available could go straight into the team and have a positive impact on the first team.

I think a Hector Moreno is a massive gamble for us at the moment even if he has worked with Poch in the past. If we need another centre half (I don't think we do) then I'd rather us going for a steady eddy PL player.

Including Yedlin, I'd like a strong and direct centre forward (Bony or Benteke), a combatitive central midfielder (Schneiderlein or Delph) and a quick and tricky winger who is better than Lennon/Townsend as Poch clearly doesn't rate and lack of width is a genuine problem - haven't seen many better wing performances than Bolasie or perhaps a cheeky bid to Man Utd for Zaha.

Would love to think we could get Schurlle on loan for the rest of the season?

Out: any (if not all of) Chiriches, Paulinho, Ade, Holtby, Naughton, Dembele, BAE, Capuoe

Back