• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thoughts on the upcoming season?

I expect a bumpy start - but once injured players start to return and the new players bed in i expect to see us have a good season - no reason why we can't better last seasons finish of fifth, will depend who Arsenal sign before the window shuts but am hopeful one of the 'big' 3 struggle to adapt with their new managers anyway.

I've been Lennons biggest backer on here in recent years but Townsend just adds a threat. Lennon is usually quiet in games, his defensive work should NEVER EVER be underestimated though, but he just tends to drift through games doing fudge all. Townsend seems to be a constant threat and looking to always improve his game.

I guess you and I were definitely not watching the same player last season

I fail to comprehend the reasoning behind selling Caulker with Dawson, Verts and Kaboul not fit? Even if it was thought Caulker did not have a long term future at Spurs no way is Livermore a better option at the back. I would love for a journalist to ask AVB his reasoning behind that decision

I think we are going to be awesome, we'll be swapping top spot with Jose for most of the season before dropping off in April, we'll be banging goals in all over the place from Bale/Soldado/Chadli, Sandro and Paulinho are gonna keep things so tight that Dembele can have a free role and be the player he showed glimpses of last season, if I was Lloris I'd be buying a comfy deckchair

I fail to comprehend the reasoning behind selling Caulker with Dawson, Verts and Kaboul not fit? Even if it was thought Caulker did not have a long term future at Spurs no way is Livermore a better option at the back. I would love for a journalist to ask AVB his reasoning behind that decision

AVB probably thought we would have signed Chiriches just before he sold Caulker....bad luck that the Steaua owner is behaving like a runt

I think we are going to be awesome, we'll be swapping top spot with Jose for most of the season before dropping off in April, we'll be banging goals in all over the place from Bale/Soldado/Chadli, Sandro and Paulinho are gonna keep things so tight that Dembele can have a free role and be the player he showed glimpses of last season, if I was Lloris I'd be buying a comfy deckchair

Lloris needs to sharpen up and concentrate.....he was rubbish against Monaco

I'm very worried right now (hey whats new??) I'm getting a feeling of deja vu. Pre-season disrupted by speculation over one of our star players, lack of playing time for a lot of our 1st X1

Palace away has now turned into a very tricky opening fixture. 1st match back in the Prem for many a year, they will be it for it
Swansea at home, a team that already looks in their stride and full of confidence
Arsenal away - enough said

Have a bad feeling we will be hitting the first international break on 1pt from 3 games, and our season will kick-start 4 games in...again!

You think we'll only pick up 1 point from them 3 games, jeez man. Of course palace will be up for it but that doesn't mean they're suddenly world beaters, I think they've signed 6 new players already and are looking to bring in another 3 or 4 as well according to Parish. That can't make for a settled side, we should be beating them comfortably, even with a bit of speculation about Bale.

We beat Swansea home and away last season and just because they look good in pre-season doesn't mean anything once the proper stuff kicks off.

Arsenal away will be a tough game, I'd like to say we'll win it but maybe a draw is more realistic. Just got to avoid defeat.

If we want to be getting in the top 4 or higher we should be looking to get 7-9 points from those games with 6 being the absolute minimum, even with what's going on at the moment.

You think we'll only pick up 1 point from them 3 games, jeez man. Of course palace will be up for it but that doesn't mean they're suddenly world beaters, I think they've signed 6 new players already and are looking to bring in another 3 or 4 as well according to Parish. That can't make for a settled side, we should be beating them comfortably, even with a bit of speculation about Bale.

We beat Swansea home and away last season and just because they look good in pre-season doesn't mean anything once the proper stuff kicks off.

Arsenal away will be a tough game, I'd like to say we'll win it but maybe a draw is more realistic. Just got to avoid defeat.

If we want to be getting in the top 4 or higher we should be looking to get 7-9 points from those games with 6 being the absolute minimum, even with what's going on at the moment.

i guess you forgot our opening 3 games last season, Saudi Sportswashing Machine away, west brom and Norwich home....guaranteed 7-9 pts i bet you said ;)

i guess you forgot our opening 3 games last season, Saudi Sportswashing Machine away, west brom and Norwich home....guaranteed 7-9 pts i bet you said ;)

This.

I fully appreciate what SpursLodge is saying. I'll admit I didnt know Palace had made that many signings, and I agree that will not help them either. I suppose I'm just too long in the tooth and seen so many false dawns in the past with Spurs, I just have this nagging feeling this season will be no different.

I fully expect us to bounce back, like we always seem to so after a bad start. I just feel the Bale saga/lack of CBs will be costly in the first 3 matches

We will probably concede quite a few goals early on, given our lack of fully-fit centre-backs and Sandro's slow return to full fitness. Mainly from set-pieces, and I certainly expect most of our early games to be end-to-end affairs, with uncertain outcomes. However, once Sandro feels comfortable enough to start going to 50-50 tackles again, once Verts comes back from injury, once players like Rose and the new CB (whoever he may be) adapt to AVB's tactics and once Kaboul reaches full fitness, we should see the defence shore up. After that, we'll probably go through some games similar to the early part of last season, where our quick transitions and relentless pressing proved too much for a lot of teams to handle, and we'll pick up a lot of points during this period. We'll probably hit a peak sometime around mid-January, once Soldado, Paulinho and Chadli fully adapt to the PL, and we'll then proceed to stay at that peak until probably the beginning of March. After that, it's just a case of slogging it out, grinding out results with a tiring team and staying one step ahead of whoever our challengers for fourth may be, and we'll probably revert to our early-season form.

We'll probably hit the 75 point mark, but no further. There, I predicted it.

All this is assuming Bale stays and no one major (Lloris, Sandro, Paulinho, Bale, Soldado) gets injured for a great length of time. If Bale goes, I expect us to show mid-table form until around February, by when hopefully the new signings we get with the Bale money will finally have adapted to our tactics and the PL, allowing us to have a storming last few months but still narrowly miss out on the CL.

In this case, we'll probably finish on somewhere between 65 and 70 points, not enough for the CL.

AVB probably thought we would have signed Chiriches just before he sold Caulker....bad luck that the Steaua owner is behaving like a runt

Sorry it has nothing to do with luck, it was a dumb idea to sell Caulker before bringing someone in, especially when all our remaining centre backs were injured.

By the way I bet Real Madrid probably think Levy is behaving like a runt

Last edited:
And assuming Bale does go where does it leave us if Soldado gets injured and is out for 6 weeks? Strength in depth is one thing we do not appear to have

Bar the bale saga I was looking forward to this season with hope and optimism but Saturday killed all hope I had not because
Of result or performance just thinking same old same old two weeks away from season Sandro kaboul still injured two kids playing out of position at centre back holtby paulinho still not played a minute just seems every year we're not prepared for
First game
Of the season

I think we are in ok shape, the club will not have got rid of Caulker if there was not anyone coming in, same for Dempsey and I am sure the money from Bale will be invested.

Im excited to be honest...

I think we are in ok shape, the club will not have got rid of Caulker if there was not anyone coming in, same for Dempsey and I am sure the money from Bale will be invested.

Im excited to be honest...

Yeah, there has to be one or even two CB's lined up. I'm sure Vlad was one we thought all but done before Becali stuck his oar in. And if this transfer does come off then he will be match sharp if nothing else.

To be honest I couldn't wait for the new season after the Paulinho signing but this Bale saga is getting me down. Add the injuries and I do actually think we made an error selling Caulker (I've mad a u-turn) ad Dempsey.

I just wish football was cancelled for a year now I really don't want the season to start. Genuinely worried about us this season can see another Ramos season.....

Back